Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Since: Apr 07

Chicago, IL

#5796 Jul 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Your Arrogance And Insults, Along With Your Juvinile Attacks On Something You Know Nothing About, Is Definately A Bonus To Your Charity Work....And, Resume.
I Have Watched You Open Your Blowhole Towards Anyone Who Believes In God....All The While, You Do Not Know If He Is Real Or Not....You Are A Psuedo-intellectual Without Knowledge.
Dont Ever Presume You Know Better Then Another....Most Times You Will Be Disappionted.
What's With All The CAPS In Your Mindless Posts? People Want To Know What's Wrong With You.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5797 Jul 2, 2012
eyeful wrote:
<quoted text>
What's With All The CAPS In Your Mindless Posts? People Want To Know What's Wrong With You.
I Consider You......A Disease, Not A People.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5798 Jul 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
An attitude not uncommon amongst US religionists.

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Chicago, IL

#5799 Jul 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Not A People? Seriously? Wow.

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

#5800 Jul 2, 2012
wolfenstein wrote:
<quoted text>
Sieg Heil!

Suppose you've got a final solution to the "atheist scourge" as well eh Adolf?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5801 Jul 2, 2012
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians may privatly do what they believe, but they are not allowed mixing in public affairs.
In the US, you really can't stop them except by shrinking their numbers. With that will go their social clout. Fortunately, that is happening everywhere the West. It appears that we only need to sit back and wait. The Africans and Asians won't be as lucky for quite a while longer. In summary, Christianity appears to be on the rise where it is unknown, and waning where it is well known.

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Chicago, IL

#5802 Jul 2, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
In the US, you really can't stop them except by shrinking their numbers. With that will go their social clout. Fortunately, that is happening everywhere the West. It appears that we only need to sit back and wait. The Africans and Asians won't be as lucky for quite a while longer. In summary, Christianity appears to be on the rise where it is unknown, and waning where it is well known.
Curiously enough there are large swaths of America that are christ-haunted and godsmacked. I used to think this was only true of the south - the "bible belt" - but the truth is you find the Cult of Religion everywhere - from the inner cities to the farm towns...be it mormon, muslim, evangelical christian...all swelling in numbers, reversing a 50 year trend away from religion. I have my hypothesis on this: I tie it directly to the dumbing down of America in which people are overwhelmed by the world around them and need to recoil into the safety of religion where they'll be "taken care of" by a supernatural father figure. These people are essentially intellectually lazy cult fetishists. Watch as their political clout increases and we see signs of dingbat theocracy chipping away at our secular democracy...
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5804 Jul 2, 2012
Yes Doc....If You Cant Beat Them....Breed Them Out....LOL

Sounds Like Another Classic Tale.....God And Lucifer.

But Worry Not My Mushroom Eating Friend....It Will Be Over Before It Gets Too Bad.

I Say O'le Chap....Watch Damascus....It Is Prophesied That It Will Be Annialated With-in A Day...This Reaks Of Nuclear.

When This Occurs....You Will Know Your MIsery Is About To End.....LOL

" Stay Thirsty My Friends "
British Expat

Baie-mahault, Guadeloupe

#5805 Jul 2, 2012
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038???

It would be an advance for the human monkey! Sadly it won't happen because the average human monkey is brain washed, not to say just easily manipulated! Which is true! Does this equal stupid??

Those who know the truth about religion rely on ignorance/stupidity to maintain thier ponsi scheme.

Have a nice day. Aged 80
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5806 Jul 2, 2012
Luke1981 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sieg Heil!
Suppose you've got a final solution to the "atheist scourge" as well eh Adolf?
Yeah...My Solution Is To Sit Back And Watch, As Yourkind Oversteps And Out Foxes Itself....The Results Will Be Fasinating.

Im Always In Awe As People Stumble Over The Sleeping Giant, Unaware He Is Even There.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5807 Jul 2, 2012
eyeful wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps A Peephole ?
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5808 Jul 2, 2012
Ok KIds....Lets Make Assumptions, Shall We ?

When, Not If....War And Financial Bankruptcy Hits The US....Where And To Whom Do You Think The Masses Will Look FOR Help ?

Will It Be Our Entertainer And Campaigner And Chief ?

Will It Be Our Integrity Riddled Congress And Senate ?

Or, Will The Masses Turn To God ?

I Say It Obvious And A Certain Outcome.

But, This Is Just Conjecture....Speculation, Based On Evidence Of Past Human Responses To Overwhelming Tragedies.

Repeatable, Observable, Measurable...Speculation.

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

#5809 Jul 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...My Solution Is To Sit Back And Watch, As Yourkind Oversteps And Out Foxes Itself....The Results Will Be Fasinating.
Im Always In Awe As People Stumble Over The Sleeping Giant, Unaware He Is Even There.
Delusional much?
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5810 Jul 2, 2012
Luke1981 wrote:
<quoted text>
Delusional much?
Blinders Much ?
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5811 Jul 2, 2012

Fennario

#5812 Jul 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
I Understand Your Contempt For What Seems Like An Uncaring GOD. BUT, I Submit That There Are A Multitude Of Things We Dont Yet Understand.
No good. You toggle between reasoned arguments when it is expedient, and resort to this when you hit a dead end. Whenever there is nothing else to say, this is what is said - our minds are too puny to understand. We're expected to understand how much the god loves us because he did this for us, and because he did that - reasons.

But when we have reason to doubt the god, we are to abandon that critical faculty and simply accept the absurd, because it might make sense to somebody smarter.

It's special pleading.

Now let's let at your reasoned argument:
wolverine wrote:
Lets Say For A Moment That You Believed In GOD.... How Can We Limit What He Is Capible Of ?[/QUORE]

That's very reasonable! My mind tells me that we cannot limit god, and I know that I can bank on that, right?

[QUOTE who="wolverine"]We Cannot Come Close To Understanding.[/QUOTES]

Oops! I guess I don't understand. Maybe we can limit god. Who am I to say, with only a puny human brain?

[QUOTE who="wolverine"]Now, What If All The Killing And Suffering That We Witness, Are For Our Own Learning ?
Then we're fooked. If a god is running the universe like that, we're all screwed. Obviously, nobody is learning much from the killing and suffering, which has been going on for eons. So, all you really are getting from your god is the killing and suffering - not the lesson.

Fennario

#5813 Jul 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
I Believe There Are Many Demensions....Many Right next To Our Own.
Now you trust your senses and wits again.

I think I just noticed something. You consider your instincts and your common sense valid and trustworthy. It's the contradictory instincts of others that get rejected with the puny human mind argument. Maybe it's not a random toggling between the two. Maybe it's confirmation bias.
wolverine wrote:
We Are Infants In Our Understandings Of The Universe.
Except you, who understands it a little better than the other infants, right? That's why you're teaching us how it is.
wolverine wrote:
I Contend We Need To Keep Open Minds And Hearts.
Open hearts? What does that mean? Be compassionate? It's not relevant to a discussion of metaphysics or the limitations of the mind.

Open minds? An open mind assumes critical reasoning skills, not an indiscriminate sieve.

Your mind isn't open. You subvert your reasoning faculty whenever it tells you that something that you want to believe is impossible or absurd, and you disregard it by calling it too puny.

Since: Mar 11

Ft Mitchell, KY

#5814 Jul 2, 2012
Yes calling living breathing peaceful human beings a disease all because they don't believe in a factless God along with his threats of violence towards non believers it all shows a level of Low IQ and mental illness. Wolf pup needs to see a professional psychiatrist.

Certainly when it comes to morals religion and God have failed this poor wretch horribly.
eyeful wrote:
<quoted text>
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5815 Jul 2, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
... Wolf pup needs to see a professional psychiatrist..<quoted text>
The funny thing is that I suspect he tells his cronies that "I go on the 'net and give thum thar atheists hell".
Yeah, man
:-)

Since: Mar 11

Ft Mitchell, KY

#5816 Jul 2, 2012
The masses turn to the factless God in the middle east turn to God. Happy with their results? Now compare them to more secular nations. Which would you rather live in?

Again you just can't vote in facts. Why in court trials is the burden of proof on the prosecutor? Why can't they just arrest you throw some insane bogus claim on you not a shred of proof and tell you to prove you didn't do it. It's madness to even suggest that because you can't possibly prove a factless myth. Now if they have proof you and your lawyer would examine the proof and the court would weigh out the evidence. Without evidence to weigh out the judge would toss out the case as nonsense.

Without evidence for God Atheists are doing the same.
wolverine wrote:
Ok KIds....Lets Make Assumptions, Shall We ?
When, Not If....War And Financial Bankruptcy Hits The US....Where And To Whom Do You Think The Masses Will Look FOR Help ?
Will It Be Our Entertainer And Campaigner And Chief ?
Will It Be Our Integrity Riddled Congress And Senate ?
Or, Will The Masses Turn To God ?
I Say It Obvious And A Certain Outcome.
But, This Is Just Conjecture....Speculation, Based On Evidence Of Past Human Responses To Overwhelming Tragedies.
Repeatable, Observable, Measurable...Speculation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min scientia potentia... 48,521
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 min scientia potentia... 23,498
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 3 hr JustASkeptic 11
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 hr Rosa_Winkel 21,866
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sat Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web