Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24083 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Eman

Mira Loma, CA

#22879 Sep 3, 2014
porridge wrote:
<quoted text>
You're definitely one of the nuttier xtians.
But the reality is, Jesus teaches this:Luke 6:27-30, 32-38 KJV

But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22880 Sep 3, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This has absolutely nothing to do with death being an extraordinary claim.
<quoted text>
It's not illogical or unreasonable. It's just unpalatable. But, you not LIKING something doesn't mean it isn't true.
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question.
Yes every one finds out when their time from the world is up.

You have been given choice to believe in whatever you want to believe.

Our purpose is to tell you the truth, acceptance or rejecting is in your hands.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#22881 Sep 4, 2014
Another islamic paedophile ring broken in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-buc...

One less place for muslim child abusers to hide.
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>

JUBAIL, KSA

#22882 Sep 4, 2014
DAKO wrote:
1 I was not referring to Charles Darwin's Origins of the Specis. I was referring to those who wrote to reject his theory...

NB: Evolution of the Species has been proved (Genome Project 2003) and Adam and Eve tale is one of many that human beings invented.

2. Darwin constructed his theory on the basis of his findings and being a devoted Christian he dared not publish it for many years. He was tormented by his own discoveries. However,..

3 It is hilarious to note that you, MUQ1 as you again talk "cross purposely" in order to score points on "my belief" is better than yours. All that Emman stated was that "the belief" has place as in time of need.Humans need belief and this is proved in times of crisis...
Ans.

1. 100 Year old Books:

You did not mention which books you were referring to and to what you were not.

I said Darwin made many “assumptions” in his TOE, while he did not have any info on that.

You have very wrong conceptions about Genome Project, it did not “prove” any evolution and neither was its aim to “Prove” Blind Theory of Evolution and to “Reject” the Adam and Eve story.

And you “acknowledged” that Darwin used “what knowledge he had at that time”, that knowledge was not “sufficient” for him to make the claims that he did make.

Would you call them as “Lucky Guesses”?(Because even according to even you, he was not a “Prophet”!!)

2. My comments on Mr. Eman:

Again you are confused and do not elaborate what you mean.

A parent should tell their children what is the True path as they teach them manners and etiquette.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22883 Sep 4, 2014
Eman wrote:
01.(Holy Spirirt) Is God's Spirit, the one that moves the heart of people and brings them to Jesus Christ.
It is the one that moves the people's heart to feel compassion, and love and mercy.

02. It is why Muslims slaughter each other and others because your heart is like a stone.

03. All churches can have only one view of the Spirit: the one that is in the bible, which is the word of God.
He's not most Maltreated, he is what leads us to Christ
Ans.

A. On Holy Spirt:

So Holy Spirit is God’ Spirit, how come God’ Spirit is separate from God? How it moves “Only Few” people’s heart towards Jesus Christ?

If it moves people’s heart to Love, Compassion and Mercy, then how come Christians took part in so many wars and killings (as we saw during WW-1 and WW-2 and many more wars).

B. Muslims have hearts like a “Stone”?

Thanks for your assessment, but it is not true. Not ALL Muslims take part in wars and killings.

C. All Churches have “One” view of God?

No you are simplifying matters, if ALL Churches have one view, why they have different names?

You are hiding some things knowingly or unknowingly.
Chiclets

New Orleans, LA

#22884 Sep 4, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any evidence to back up your claims ?
Believer

Southfield, MI

#22885 Sep 4, 2014
Atheism is a religion. All humans are is something that believes, if religions die that would mean we wont exist either. I thought atheists were suppose to be smart?
Believer

Southfield, MI

#22886 Sep 4, 2014
British Expat wrote:
Religious monkeys are the root of all evil, that is a FACT!
Sadly for the moment the human monkey is "easily led". But live in hope. Intellegence might yet surpass superstition?
Evil is a religious belief!!! The first beliefs that man was given in the bible was the concepts of good and evil and as a result of these beliefs we began to experience shame. If we did not believe in good and evil we would not experience shame since the reason people feel shame is because they believe they did something that was bad.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#22887 Sep 4, 2014
Straw man. With typos.
Believer wrote:
Atheism is a religion. All humans are is something that believes, if religions die that would mean we wont exist either. I thought atheists were suppose to be smart?
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#22888 Sep 4, 2014
adam and eve were entrapped.

They didn't know good or evil when they ate from the tree of knowledge.

Therefore your god was to blame.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Evil is a religious belief!!! The first beliefs that man was given in the bible was the concepts of good and evil and as a result of these beliefs we began to experience shame. If we did not believe in good and evil we would not experience shame since the reason people feel shame is because they believe they did something that was bad.
Dak-Original

Leeds, UK

#22889 Sep 4, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have sorted that "the truth" is questionable and those who peddle "belief" as "truth" will , I believe, have to answer for the mayhem they cause on the earth. OH! MUQ1+!
Dak-Original

Leeds, UK

#22890 Sep 4, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. 100 Year old Books:
You did not mention which books you were referring to and to what you were not.
I said Darwin made many “assumptions” in his TOE, while he did not have any info on that.
You have very wrong conceptions about Genome Project, it did not “prove” any evolution and neither was its aim to “Prove” Blind Theory of Evolution and to “Reject” the Adam and Eve story.
And you “acknowledged” that Darwin used “what knowledge he had at that time”, that knowledge was not “sufficient” for him to make the claims that he did make.
Would you call them as “Lucky Guesses”?(Because even according to even you, he was not a “Prophet”!!)
2. My comments on Mr. Eman:
Again you are confused and do not elaborate what you mean.
A parent should tell their children what is the True path as they teach them manners and etiquette.
Are you not the same MUQ who was busy quoting some western authors (Scholars!) of 100 years ago in justifying your rejection of the Evolution of the Species? LOL!

Darwin based his theory on his observation of evidence of the divergence of species. He noted this very markedly on islands in Galapagos where birds adapted to environment and their beaks had altered to suit the food available on each island as the birds were isolated from their original island home. Ever since Darwin evolution has been supported by scientists based on research and evidence. Some theories do not stand up to further findings but this has not been the case with the Evolution of Species. Hence Darwin's work was far better then any prophets of many religions since it furthered our understanding of the mysteries of the nature as "planned by GOD".OH! MUQ?! or OH! MUQ1?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#22891 Sep 4, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
oh how I wish it were true that the worst sorts of religion would fade out. I am not that optimistic. I would settle for just getting rid of the evil aspects of religion. the ones that are harmless. i have Christian friends who have gotten rid of some of the worst parts, I think, in their views.
this is from April of 2012. It is still my view that we should try to get rid of the evil aspects of religion, and tolerate the ones that are harmless, if we must. It is when bad doctrine leads to bad behavior that religion is so very dangerous - as are other dogmatic and absolutist ideologies that advocate certain actions.
Those of us who are more skeptical and agnostic in our theological views are also inclined to be less hasty in thinking we know the right course of action in particular circumstances. Being less sure of one's correctness is a good beginning for trying to get all the best information one can, and judging actions on a basis of risk assessment. If one is mistaken, what might the consequences be? It can lead to delays in acting, but it also keeps one from acting very very foolishly in haste.

That applies to political leaders especially, and especially in foreign policy. the hotheads are too sure of themselves, and often are very mistaken with horrible consequences.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#22892 Sep 4, 2014
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
We have sorted that "the truth" is questionable and those who peddle "belief" as "truth" will , I believe, have to answer for the mayhem they cause on the earth. OH! MUQ1+!
answer to whom? some of them - like Dick Cheney for example - just peddle more mayhem on top of the evil they have already done. Rightwing warmongering extremists in the US (neocons like Cheney and Wolfowitz and co) wanted to get control of Iraqi oil into the hands of reliable persons (their oil buddies), and so concocted phoney reasons for invading Iraq. Iraq did not have AQ or ISIS before Cheney got Bush to invade Iraq. but does Cheney really have to answer to anyone - or does he get by with the evil he has done and does he get invited to advocate more stupid behavior, without being challenged by a stupid media that likes to stir up controversy instead of discussing how to solve problems.?
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22893 Sep 5, 2014
Chiclets wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any evidence to back up your claims ?
What type of evidence you want? Take your "Interview" from the grave?
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22894 Sep 5, 2014
Believer wrote:
Atheism is perhaps the "Only" religion in the world that is based on negation.

It has nothing "positive" in its beliefs. How can such a "Negative" religion replace other religions?
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22895 Sep 5, 2014
Aryan wrote:
I believe in "one" and "formless" god. But I do not follow Muhammad. Am I a believer or kafir ?
Ans.

You have asked a very good question, the question is very short, but the answer would take some space.

So pardon me, if I post a slightly longish answer, becaue many people have the same doubt as you have.

A. Is belief in “One, Formless God” enough?

Strictly speaking “Yes”, but the question is what is “Belief” and what are its contents?

Some people think that if they acknowledge that there is a Creator in this Universe who made every thing in it….. but that is all, they do not “acknowledge” that we owe some duties to God…. Such belief is “only superficial”.

Because if you “Believe in God” it automatically means that you are ready to follow His Commands and directives.

B. Article of Faith or Belief:

There are three parts of it:

1. Belief in Pure Oneness of God and reject worship of false gods and idols etc.

2. Belief in the Office of Prophet hood and Follow True Prophets of God:

God does not provide His Commands and Directives to every human being directly. The method He has chosen is to send the Guidance to Prophets, chosen by Him and they instruct people and act as role Models to show, how these Commands and Directives are to be observed.

The prophets were sent to all nations and in all ages…. And that list was completed when the Last and Final prophet appeared in Arabia 1400 years back.

3. Believe in the day of Judgment:

This is also a fundamental article of faith. In short it means that every individual has to give the account of his or her deeds to their Creator on that day.

That account would involve their faith and what they did during their lives on this earth.

Those who shall pass that account would enter into a Blissful and eternal life of Pleasure and Joy in Paradise.

(Contd.)
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22896 Sep 5, 2014
Those who fail the test, would face the displease of their Creator and have to enter Hell Fire.

These in short are the article of faith that makes the “Belief in One Formless God” fruitful.

C. Is belief in Last Prophet of God “Must”?

This is a tricky question, let me say that “All prophets of God preached the same message, so if you “Strictly follow” ANY prophet of God correctly and fully, you would have met the basic tenet of “True Belief”.

This sounds simple, but if you “strictly follow” ANY prophet of God, you HAVE to follow the Last and Final prophet of God, because EVERY True prophet of God did prophesy about the Last Prophet!!

I can show that from Bible, that Prophets like Moses, David, Isaiah and Jesus DID prophesy about the Last Prophet and asked their followers to accept and follow him.

If any follower of these prophets “Willfully Rejects” last and Final Prophet, then the burden would come not on the prophets but to the person.

What I said about Bible, is true for Hindu Scriptures also and scriptures of other prophets also.

Now you see, how important is the belief in Last and Final prophet of God and how serious is the “Willful Rejection” of him.

D. Why so much emphasis on “Willful Rejection”?

I have purposely chosen this word, because there are so much “misinformation” being propagated by Media and people with vested interest about the personality and message of Last and Final prophet, that many “sincere” followers of other other prophets get confused.

But if anyone has studied their scriptures and learns about life and mission of our prophet and the message is clear to them, but still they reject him, it would come under the category of “Willful Rejection”.

Those who are in “Process of Verification” and the message of Islam has either not reached to them and their study is not complete, might have an “Excuse” before their Creator, provided they are Sincere in their following of their Own Prophet and sincere in their research about Islam.

E. What is “Best course” for those doing their “Search” of True Faith?

Those doing their research about Islam and life of Last and Final Prophet, should “Hold their tongue and pens” to not use insulting and abusive language about the Last Prophet in that period.

The same applies to people who are not aware of the mission of Last Prophet and are in state of ignorance. They should not start rejecting and use abusive language and make fun of him.

Not believing and making fun and abusing are two different things.

This is from my side and Allah knows Best the state of hearts of people and He knows our Innermost secrets and we cannot Hide any thing from Him….we can fool people with our talks and arguments but not Him.

E. Answering your Question:

After introduction given above, it is for you to decide Are you a Believer or a Rejector?

You be your own Judge and of course Allah Knows Best!!

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#22897 Sep 5, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing "positive" in its beliefs. How can such a "Negative" religion replace other religions?
Atheism is about replacing delusions and wishful thinking with evidence backed facts.

The evidence for your superstitions is the word of just one man who disagreed with everyone else.
Dak-Original

London, UK

#22898 Sep 5, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism cannot be termed as religion but all the same it a belief and all religions are beliefs. However, most atheists are far more logical in their reasoning than most religion lot. OH! MUQ1+or -...!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min It aint necessari... 16,369
Good arguments against Christianity 13 min IB DaMann 112
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 18 min par five 4
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 21 min NightSerf 276
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 41 min Aura Mytha 40,819
A Universe from Nothing? 44 min thetruth 97
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 52 min thetruth 20,623
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 58 min superwilly 256,111
More from around the web