Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

mannnu81

Perris, CA

#22772 Aug 22, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Then feel free to forgo science.
Turn off that computer and go live in a commune.
Why one or other?
What you say sounds hippy, which is kind of a religion.
Hungarian 101

Europe

#22773 Aug 22, 2014
I wish this thread would would taper of now!
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22774 Aug 23, 2014
Hungarian 101 wrote:
I wish this thread would would taper of now!
It should continue till 2038, to "see" the result of its prediction...same way as one who predicted "End of world" on 21 May 2013.
Hungarian 101

Europe

#22775 Aug 23, 2014
That was a foolish prediction by an extreme farse prophet.
LOL!!!

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22776 Aug 23, 2014
Hungarian 101 wrote:
LOL!!!
But it did get world wide attention and had many followers....until proven as "garbage"
religionisillnes s

Whetstone, UK

#22777 Aug 24, 2014
mannnu81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Noone really put you in charge of anyone's mouth.
RUN AWAY from presenting us with the evidence of the god you FAILED to lie to us about.

RUN AWAY COWARD!

Since: Mar 12

Danda, India

#22779 Aug 25, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
But it did get world wide attention and had many followers....until proven as "garbage"
Your argument is a well-known logical fallacy called "argumentum ad populum".Do you just write whatever your feeble mind dictates you ?
religionislies

Whetstone, UK

#22780 Aug 25, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
what is proven is proven. now swallow your pride
pookie

London, UK

#22781 Aug 25, 2014
Has anyone noticed that all people who claim to be prophets of God have has problems with sexual deviancy?
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#22782 Aug 25, 2014
Hungarian 101 wrote:
LOL!!!
Read them and weep!

http://faithskeptic.50megs.com/prophecies.htm

Christians claim that the Bible has hundreds of fulfilled prophecies, and is proof of its divine inspiration. In actuality, these so called fulfilled prophecies failed, were false or weren't prophecies at all. Many of these prophecies are so vague, they can be attributed to different events. It's also a fact that the Bible was written many years after these presumed prophecies and their "fulfillment" took place. It's also fair to mention that nowhere in the Bible will you find countries such as the United States, Russia, China, Korea, Great Britain prophesied. Oh Christians will tell you that they are, if you know how to interpret the Bible.
Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.

Here God tells Isaac that his descendents (Hebrews) will be as numerous as the stars. Considering the number of stars there are in the universe, that would have to be on the order of 1020 Jewish people.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Christians say that this verse is a prophecy of Jesus' birth to a virgin. There are a couple problems with this prophecy...First, virgin in this verse is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word "almah", which actually means "young woman". A young woman is not necessarily a virgin. "Bethulah" would have been the correct word to use if the author meant virgin. Second, nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus referred to as Immanuel.

Isaiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.

Damascus is still inhabited today with over a million people, and hardly a ruinous heap.

Isaiah 19:4-5 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts. And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.

The river mentioned here is the Nile. The Nile is still one of Egypt's greatest natural resource.

Isaiah 19:18 In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts; one shall be called, The city of destruction.

The Canaanite language has never been spoken in Egypt, and is now an extinct.

Isaiah 52:1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

There are uncircumcised people living in Jerusalem even today.

Ezekiel 29:10-11 Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years.

Never in its long history has Egypt ever been uninhabited for forty years.

Amos 9:15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

Many times, Jews have been pulled up out of their land. The ownership of their land is still being fought for.

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Nineveh was never overthrown. Why? Because God changed his mind in verse 3:10, despite what Malachi 3:6, Numbers 23:19 and Ezekiel 24:14 says about God never changing his mind.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22783 Aug 25, 2014
religionislies wrote:
<quoted text>
what is proven is proven. now swallow your pride
What pride would that be?
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#22784 Aug 25, 2014
mannnu81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are like radios without receiving antennas. There is much music, but all they play is static.
The antenna is faith
Theists are radios with receiving antennas, unfortunately they don't listen to the news.

They do hear "the word " however, usually followed by a request for a donation.

Apparently faith has a price...
I bid $666.66

Can I get in?
Whom shall I send my check to?
Address or URL please...

< excessive sarcasm >

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#22785 Aug 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Theists are radios with receiving antennas, unfortunately they don't listen to the news.
They do hear "the word " however, usually followed by a request for a donation.
Apparently faith has a price...
I bid $666.66
Can I get in?
Whom shall I send my check to?
Address or URL please...
< excessive sarcasm >
That was funny and good.
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

#22786 Aug 26, 2014
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038!

Really! Will it take that long?

I thought George summed up Religion decades ago. PERFECTLY.

CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#22787 Aug 26, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
That was funny and good.
It's almost embarrassing... Theists are so easy!

They start with an impossible unprovable premise and then expect us to show some modicum of respect, whilst salting us both socially and intellectually.

We know they are scientifically challenged.
They do not understand science
investigation has been replaced by revelation

Fools paradise

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.

I am an equal opportunity skeptic.

I find all religions to be nothing more than superstition.

I post my opinion and comment.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22788 Aug 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's almost embarrassing... Theists are so easy!
They start with an impossible unprovable premise and then expect us to show some modicum of respect, whilst salting us both socially and intellectually.
We know they are scientifically challenged.
They do not understand science
investigation has been replaced by revelation
Fools paradise
Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.
I am an equal opportunity skeptic.
I find all religions to be nothing more than superstition.
I post my opinion and comment.
The reality is that atheists are the most unreasonable and most illogical people on this earth.

They see the Universe before them and how it is functioning....Yet they "Believe" that it came out by itself or by chance.....and running by itself.

Machines made by humans, Trains, Cars, Ships, Rockets..... have failed so many times and keep on failing....while the Universe works faultlessly all the time.

If any one thinks that this universe is running in "auto mode"...he or she should get their heads examined.
religionislies

London, UK

#22790 Aug 26, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality is that atheists are the most unreasonable and most illogical people on this earth.
They see the Universe before them and how it is functioning....Yet they "Believe" that it came out by itself or by chance.....and running by itself.
Machines made by humans, Trains, Cars, Ships, Rockets..... have failed so many times and keep on failing....while the Universe works faultlessly all the time.
If any one thinks that this universe is running in "auto mode"...he or she should get their heads examined.
the idiot who believes without evidence needs his head examined, and promptly slapped.
Patrick

United States

#22791 Aug 27, 2014
religionislies wrote:
<quoted text>
the idiot who believes without evidence needs his head examined, and promptly slapped.
relax and defend atheism !

some coffee my friend...enjoy your day
Naked Coffee Shock

Naked Coffee Shock

So. It’s early Sunday morning in DC
Visiting my locale Mickey D’s
I’m not too bright about anything
Simply wanting a cup of Joe
Before I go to church
The help as usual is friendly and polite
(Some say they’re not but that’s alright)
2 ugly men walked in behind me
Clearly they were there to sin
Both had no clothes on so things went south
They were erect
(and I don’t mean posture or the building of a house)
I averted my eyes at the appropriate moment
These are hard times and getting harder
Not wanting to be party to this depravity and crime
I tried to leave but…. Never mind…
“Reach for the sky!” The nude men shouted
Then struck up a conversation
(I thought this was salacious and unkind)
So. I geared up my stronger serious mind
Became sophisticated and refined
I told them they are in the wrong place and time
Informed them the church is close to here
If they were so inclined I’d take them there
Repentance is a goodly and Godly thing
“Ridiculous!” They cried
They wanted more than a house of God
It was the apple pies they so desired
I told them they looked silly and kinda dumb
Reminded them they had no guns (obviously, they were naked)
There was no way to fake it
The only thing they threatened were some smiles
So. The manager told them there are no pies
And sizing up the situation, continued
“Can’t either of you read?”
The sign is clearly posted
“Shoes are required”
You are not properly attired
So kindly leave

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#22792 Aug 27, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your God seems far more complex and flawless than universe is and yet he allegedly could come into existence without any causation. When a super entity with infinite power can exist without any possible causation why an universe with limited energy can't?
What is the purpose of repeating this meaningless argument when its weakness have been highlighted many times on this forum?
When it comes to judging any poster based on their reasoning you should have the least say as you still have trouble interpreting logic .

JUBAIL, KSA

#22793 Aug 27, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Your God seems far more complex and flawless than universe is and yet he allegedly could come into existence without any causation. When a super entity with infinite power can exist without any possible causation why an universe with limited energy can't?
What is the purpose of repeating this meaningless argument when its weakness have been highlighted many times on this forum?
When it comes to judging any poster based on their reasoning you should have the least say as you still have trouble interpreting logic .
You need not start analyzing the Personality of Creator, you have neither the means not capability.

Concentrate on His creations and wonder how Powerful, knowledgeable and Merciful would be their Creator.

That is the right approach and workable..... than your confused posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Eagle 12 - 83,049
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 2,549
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web