Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,519

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#22633 Jul 18, 2014
And yet everything we have ever discovered turned out to be "not magic".

I don't need to disprove your god, you need to prove it.
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Santa Clause is a MYTH is self proven by the "Thousands of Santas that appear suddenly along Christmas time and then disappear when it ends".... As regards Tooth Fairy, no one needs to prove that it is myth, just leave the tooth in open and it would NEVER disappear.
Those who use Santa Clause and Tooth Fairy to prove that Creator of this Universe does not exist, should get their brains examined. There is something wrong in it.
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22634 Jul 19, 2014
Thinking wrote:
And yet everything we have ever discovered turned out to be "not magic".
I don't need to disprove your god, you need to prove it.
<quoted text>
Why I have to prove it, only BLIND would look at all this universe and PROVE that it created itself or just came by chance.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#22635 Jul 19, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why I have to prove it, only BLIND would look at all this universe and PROVE that it created itself or just came by chance.
Confirmed he got nothing

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#22636 Jul 19, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe an incredibly powerful and intelligent entity capable of creating the universe just exists without cause, so why can't the universe itself?
Patrick

United States

#22637 Jul 19, 2014
Before a room full of cameras and reporters Tuesday, Dan Courtney of Hamlin became the first atheist to deliver a secular opening invocation before the Greece Town Board.

The national spotlight -- reporters representing Reuters and The Associated Press were among those present -- was prompted by a a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in May that allowed prayer before public meetings.

As soon as the atheist invocation was over, people began leaving the meeting and interrupting efforts by the Town Board to have a moment of silence for Deputy Supervisor Jerry Helfer, who died Sunday at age 48.

The invocation sideshow drew one protester who said he felt compelled to come, but not enough to identify himself.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22638 Jul 19, 2014
Patrick wrote:
Before a room full of cameras and reporters Tuesday, Dan Courtney of Hamlin became the first atheist to deliver a secular opening invocation before the Greece Town Board.
The national spotlight -- reporters representing Reuters and The Associated Press were among those present -- was prompted by a a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in May that allowed prayer before public meetings.
As soon as the atheist invocation was over, people began leaving the meeting and interrupting efforts by the Town Board to have a moment of silence for Deputy Supervisor Jerry Helfer, who died Sunday at age 48.
The invocation sideshow drew one protester who said he felt compelled to come, but not enough to identify himself.
That's almost interesting.

Since: Mar 12

Devil's hometown

#22639 Jul 19, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe an incredibly powerful and intelligent entity capable of creating the universe just exists without cause, so why can't the universe itself?
Man I am seeing you asking this question for umpteenth time. He is too dumb to comprehend the logical fallacy in his belief and you will now get the same old reply.It is futile to ask that question.
Patrick

United States

#22640 Jul 19, 2014
Germany's Angela Merkel challenged Moscow's attempt to pin the downing of a Malaysian airliner on Ukraine, pointing to Russia as a source of separatists' weapons.

But she said it was too soon to talk about retaliatory measures.

The chancellor said there was evidence that the Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777, which crashed into a field in Ukraine killing all 298 people on board, had been shot down.

It needed a ceasefire between Ukrainian government forces and the pro-Russian rebels to permit a full, independent investigation into the tragedy, Merkel said, issuing a "very clear call" for Russian President Vladimir Putin to help make this happen.

"These events have once again shown us that what is required is a political solution and above all that it is also Russia that is responsible for what is happening in Ukraine at the moment," Merkel told her pre-summer holiday news conference on Friday.

The incident could mark a pivotal moment in the worst crisis between Russia and the West since the Cold War. Putin put the blame on Kiev for renewing an offensive against rebels two weeks ago after a ceasefire collapsed. He urged an "unbiased" inquiry.

A U.S. official said Washington strongly suspected the plane was downed by a sophisticated surface-to-air missile fired by Ukrainian separatists backed by Moscow. An Italian government source said "there are no doubts" it was shot down by rebels.

Merkel said it should be a top priority to stop the eastern Ukrainian separatists getting weapons from Russia.

Location hidden

#22641 Jul 19, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>Man I am seeing you asking this question for umpteenth time. He is too dumb to comprehend the logical fallacy in his belief and you will now get the same old reply.It is futile to ask that question.
Yes I know, but my replies are more aimed at everybody else who is following this debate.
Patrick

United States

#22642 Jul 19, 2014
The Houston suburb of League City is adjacent to Nasa's Johnson Space Centre, but the city council did not have space exploration in mind last week when it passed a resolution about “aliens”.

Migrant children are officially unwelcome in League City, where the resolution directed local authorities to “refuse requests or directives by federal agencies to permit or establish any facility for the purposes of processing, housing, or detaining any illegal aliens, designated as ‘refugee’ or otherwise”.

There have not been any such requests. Still, with more than 57,000 unaccompanied children crossing the border with Mexico since last October and the government seeking to house many of them in new temporary shelters across the country, League City council members launched a pre-emptive strike, citing concerns that a torrent of undocumented immigrants will overwhelm local schools, healthcare facilities and law enforcement, prompt financial ruin, spread disease and even help terrorists.

However dubious, such fears are being mirrored elsewhere in the country, where the recent influx of migrants – many fleeing violence in Central America – has created flashpoints and underlined how a humanitarian and logistical challenge has become politicised locally as well as nationally.

Murrieta, southern California, has been a focal point for pro- and anti-immigration activism since 1 July, when protesters blocked buses of women and children from entering a Border Patrol processing centre, forcing them to go elsewhere.

Protesters from both sides gathered in Oracle, Arizona, on Tuesday, in anticipation that 40 to 60 children would arrive to be housed in a nearby ranch, with a local sheriff helping to fuel outrage:“We have enough problems with the drug cartels and illegals in Arizona and don't need additional illegals sent to us by President Obama,” Paul Babeu said on his Facebook page.

Iowa’s governor, Terry Branstad, said on Monday that he did not want any undocumented minors to be sent to his state. "I do want empathy for these kids, but I do not want to send the signal to send these children to America illegally,” he said in a news conference.

Local opposition last month to a plan to house children on a disused college campus in the small town of Lawrenceville, Virginia, was so fierce that federal officials scrapped the idea at the last minute.

The mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti, however, said this week that he is willing to work with federal authorities to house children in the city on a temporary basis. And Stephanie Miner, the mayor of Syracuse, New York, wrote a letter to President Obama this week requesting that plans for a shelter there that could house up to 200 children be expedited.

“These are children, and it's hard to watch this and think that saying anything other than,'Let's give them shelter in this humanitarian storm,' it seems to us to be the appropriate way to respond to it,” she told the Associated Press.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22643 Jul 19, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says He exists without cause? How can universe exist without a Creator? What sort of question is this?

If you could create even a single needle without design and making plans, we would have appreciated your stand.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Nothing creates... Nothing

#22644 Jul 20, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the Universe create itself? How would it create itself? Why did it create itself only now and not earlier or later? It's not like the Universe just exploded and made everything.

I showed you a video before didn't I, but you didn't even watch it or you're just to ignorant to listen.

Location hidden

#22645 Jul 20, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says He exists without cause? How can universe exist without a Creator? What sort of question is this?
If you could create even a single needle without design and making plans, we would have appreciated your stand.
So what caused God and why couldn't that have caused the universe?

How to grow crystal needles.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/crystalrecipes/...

Location hidden

#22646 Jul 20, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the Universe create itself? How would it create itself? Why did it create itself only now and not earlier or later? It's not like the Universe just exploded and made everything.
I showed you a video before didn't I, but you didn't even watch it or you're just to ignorant to listen.
Why would God create itself? How would God create itself? Why did God create itself only now and not earlier or later? It's not like God just exploded and made everything.

We know this universe can exist because it does, we just don't know why. We don't know if a God can exist.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22647 Jul 21, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
So what caused God and why couldn't that have caused the universe?
How to grow crystal needles.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/crystalrecipes/...
The Universe was Created by God, and no one created God.

Crystal Needles? So that is how you dodge the question?

Location hidden

#22648 Jul 21, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unsupported assertions are just so much hot air. You might as well claim the Pixies did it.

You wanted a needle, I gave you a needle. If you don't like it that's probably because you didn't understand your own question.
buzzkill

Knoxville, TN

#22649 Jul 21, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe this because your Book says it is so. But there is no reason for me to believe it.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22650 Jul 21, 2014
buzzkill wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe this because your Book says it is so. But there is no reason for me to believe it.
Why should you believe ONLY because my book says it?

Are you blind? Are you not seeing this Universe and how things are working in it?

How could this Universe come by itself and then running by itself?

What has becoming of your reasoning and analyzing powers?

I did not quote any verse from my book to prove my case. I am just asking basic questions and appealing to your common sense.
buzzkill

Knoxville, TN

#22651 Jul 21, 2014
My common sense tells me that the universe simply is. A little study reveals a bit about planetary movement and the structure of the universe, but this is beyond the scope of common sense, otherwise no study or research would be required to grasp it. But neither study, common sense, reasoning, nor analysis bring any god into the picture. How the universe began is way beyond the scope of my limitations--yours too, from what you've written. That's for astrophysicists, not me--it's way too complicated for common sense to enter into the picture.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#22652 Jul 21, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
the old god did it

didn't work the first time someone used it and stilll doesn't work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 57 min Rosa_Winkel 227,992
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 3 hr emperorjohn 26
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Patrick 506
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 8 hr cancer suxs 5
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 10 hr Thinking 140
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 11 hr Thinking 4,118
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 11 hr The Dude 357
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••