Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,997

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2181 May 25, 2012
Don5163 wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is that if you are wrong then you lose the opportunity for eternal life upon resurrection - sad.
Millions of muslims are looking at you, and saying that if you do not convert to islam, you are condemning yourself to certain hell, and asking why you are willing to risk that by denying allah. You do not feel even slightly afraid of that possibility, even though your only proof they are wrong is the errors and contradictions you find in their holy book. Well, atheists see as many holes in your holy book's story. Therefore, we are not impressed with the threat.

Beyond that, if all you have to support your belief is such a threat, then you are admitting you have no positive proof of the truth of your beliefs. Since you keep circling back to the threat, instead of citing evidence for the truth of what you believe, I take that as an admission that the threat is your best, if not your only, argument for your beliefs. No that's what I call sad.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#2182 May 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Let's see, in reality all agnostic atheists are technically following the ancient Egyptian religion perfectly. They had over 50 gods, that's a chance of 50 in a million of being right. Their religion taught that the pursuit of knowledge and a clear conscience is all you need to pass Anpu and enter the underworld where you can learn more about the universe.
No need for belief, worship, or wasting your life. Even Ptah, their creator if the universe, cares nothing for worship and considers it insulting. The only god from that religion who did try to trick people into worshiping him was Set, and Ra was not pleased, so Bastet tricked Set and trapped him so that he could no longer convince humanity to waste their existence.
In essence, Bastet was the guardian of knowledge and science, she was given favor by Ra for this. So, without worshiping anything, us atheists have a really good chance of gaining the "keys to the universe" and you have a fraction of that chance. So if there is an afterlife, I will plead with Anpu just to let you peek at what you missed out on because of wasting your life away.
Agreed, as far as gods go, not too bad.

Certainly better than the Jehovah-Jesus, et`al myth gods. They're just a notch above the trickster deity, Satan, a cohort of the Abrahamic deities.

Personally, as far as a mythic deity goes, I like Pangu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangu

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2183 May 25, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, as far as gods go, not too bad.
Certainly better than the Jehovah-Jesus, et`al myth gods. They're just a notch above the trickster deity, Satan, a cohort of the Abrahamic deities.
Personally, as far as a mythic deity goes, I like Pangu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangu
I saw the Pangu one before. It's interesting.

But I like the Egyptian one better, Bastet is a cat! Cats are charged to ferry the souls of the dead to Anpu.

Anpu is actually how Anubis should have been spelled. Anubis was a mistranslation of the transliteration. Anpu "weighs the heart against a feather," if the heart is heavier then access to the underworld is denied. Ra favors those who learn and help humankind, and only he can veto Anpu's judgment.
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2184 May 25, 2012
wollop wrote:
religon denies all women, there human born rites, and if there is a god, wich there is not, it has to be female, men cant make babies
Post of the year!
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2185 May 25, 2012
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company - Mark Twain
Reminds me of the South Park episode where, after judgment day, all the mormons get into heaven. God ends up sending satan there, because being surrounded by mormons for eternity was the most effective torture god could think of.
The South Park boys are god-like enough for me!

How about the scene in "Bigger, Longer & Uncut," where the baby Kenny goes to hell after his heart has been replaced by a baked potato, and it turns out the satan is sadam Hussein's b!tch, and Kenny winds up redeeming all humanity!

I want to be wherever those guys are going! Oh yeah, and the Coen Brothers too.
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2186 May 25, 2012
Whoops -- and Mark Twain too! Kurt Vonnegut ... Yep, all in hell. You now, just the fact that these guy discounted such insanity is reason enough to relax and make your trip into eternity with a little humor and dignity. It's not so much that death is a great thought (or eality) or anything -- just that all the alternatives offered are so much worse.

It would be kind of nice to have a disembodied consciousness that isn't doomed to float around in the void, but that can seek out other like-minded consciousnesses and have discussions with them in 3-D images rather than mere words -- so that nobody's meaning is ever lost again. Your thoughts are sort of projected on a screen.

Of course, when you get tired of that, you can turn that off and have a nap for a few million years, then watch as the Sun becomes a red giant and incinerates the Earth, and finally everybody is just a disembodied consciousness. Oh, and all stupid people get a special section of the Universe (or alternate Universe) where they can discuss (but not in 3-D, like the smart people, only in grunts and squeeks) how Jesus is going to rescue them any minute, and how sorry all those atheists will be then ...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2187 May 25, 2012
EVE wrote:
<quoted text>
The South Park boys are god-like enough for me!
How about the scene in "Bigger, Longer & Uncut," where the baby Kenny goes to hell after his heart has been replaced by a baked potato, and it turns out the satan is sadam Hussein's b!tch, and Kenny winds up redeeming all humanity!
I want to be wherever those guys are going! Oh yeah, and the Coen Brothers too.
Now if the christians weren't so against South Park, it could be the one bit of proof that their god exists.

But then so do all the others, according to South Park. Praise to Kenny.
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2188 May 25, 2012
Don5163 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I suppose if I were a devil worshiper and talked all the time about stuff jumping out of the wall and scaring the stuffing out of you or accepting homosexuality or something unscrupulous such as that I would not be boring. Good sense usually is somewhat boring - not exciting.
You are a devil worshiper, Senor Profundo. You pay much, much more lip service to that character than you do your sadistic sky daddy. But you should; after all, he told you the truth about human nature. So maybe he tortures you like he does, pokes and prods you to do naughty things, because you rejected the gift of intellect and discernment. Of course, chances are that gift was never bestowed upon you, or you wouldn't be in the silly (prone) position you are now. In any case, as I pointed out before, Satan is yours. We just use him as a MEATaphor to make a point, or to make funny movies, or write funny novels.

By the way, everybody's going to finally be accepting homosexuality. The majority of Americans are in favor of according them their full complement of human rights. I know this will be another terrible event in the eyes of your religion -- another indication that the world is irredeemably evil, and more reason for you to commit mindless, random violence against more or less everybody who continues to block your agenda to fling us back into a new Dark Age.

By the way, did you hear the latest from Brazil? A 9-year-old was given a life-saving abortion after having been impregnated by her stepfather, who had been abusing her for years, supposedly without mommy being aware. The catholic church convened among themselves and decided to excommunicate the mother and the doctor who saved her life. The rapist gets to stay. The little girl gets to stay in that filthy obscenity of a religion too, since she was too young to make a decision. Isn't that great? Brazil is going batsh!t over this. You'd think with all their other bad press, they'd be looking to keep a low profile. But noooooooooooo ...

This is why you and your deluded, arrogantly stupid brethren (and sistren?) are doomed for the scrap heap of all the cults that polluted the Earth before you. I for one, am so going to enjoy your sh!t slide, which seems to be approaching at warp speed.

Excuse any and all typos; I'm only on my first coffee. Not you Don, I know you wouldn't notice, as you appear to communicate in what in real life would be mere grunts and squeeks, like one of those neonates with open spines that the cat'liks (and other christians too) believe are "gifts from god."
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2189 May 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now if the christians weren't so against South Park, it could be the one bit of proof that their god exists.
But then so do all the others, according to South Park. Praise to Kenny.
The stuff they did on religion has put me in great danger of busting a gut. I mean, laughing until I'm doubled over, tears running down my face. Somehow, this was good ...

Just the one with Mel Gibson running around in a diaper, bouncing off the walls, and screaming "go ahead, torture me, I can take it ...."
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2190 May 25, 2012
I have no idea what I meant by ( ..eality). Forgot what I was gonna say... Sorry.
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2191 May 25, 2012
Oh, in case anybody thinks I was making it up, here's the story of the 9-year-old Brazilian girl and her first confrontation of the love and protection of gawd's (and sonny boy's) earthly representatives:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/ameri...

To show how stupid the religiously deluded are, a catholic on another thread provided this, then made the hilariously hollow comment that "I am deeply ashamed, and "the church needs to be cleaned up," blah, blah blah.

Not once did it occur to her to be so appalled, repulsed and horrified that she immediately remove herself from this satanic organization. When some lady suggested she do just that, she responded with "F***YOU!"

Yep. This is the ugly, wormy face behind even the blandest, most sanctimonious mask. Evil without end, AMEN!

“Knowledge is true opinion”

Since: Mar 07

Chesapeake, VA

#2192 May 25, 2012
Don5163 wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is that if you are wrong then you lose the opportunity for eternal life upon resurrection - sad.
Nope.

Yours is not the only path to "eternal life".

I already found another one that works much better for me without all of the BS you have to swallow to believe in the christian religion.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2193 May 25, 2012
EVE wrote:
<quoted text>
The stuff they did on religion has put me in great danger of busting a gut. I mean, laughing until I'm doubled over, tears running down my face. Somehow, this was good ...
Just the one with Mel Gibson running around in a diaper, bouncing off the walls, and screaming "go ahead, torture me, I can take it ...."
Mel Gibson ... I had a hard time remembering it was just a cartoon on that episode! LOL

Oh, and the John Edwards one was too funny as well.

My favorite though is when Cartman started that evangelical church.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2194 May 25, 2012
EVE wrote:
<quoted text>
... Oh yeah, and the Coen Brothers too.
If only to be able to ask christians, in my best Anton Chigurhh voice, "Can I ask you a question? If following the rule brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2195 May 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mel Gibson ... I had a hard time remembering it was just a cartoon on that episode! LOL
Oh, and the John Edwards one was too funny as well.
My favorite though is when Cartman started that evangelical church.
Hard to choose your favorite gem from a treasure chest full, huh? ;)

“ ...just hangin' around ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2196 May 25, 2012
Anybody Who'd mess with a 9yr old should have His pecker cut off, (after DNA establishes guilt)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2197 May 25, 2012
wollop wrote:
religon denies all women, there human born rites, and if there is a god, wich there is not, it has to be female, men cant make babies
YOu must have forgotten: God always was and always will be. Females cannot make babies by themselves. If God was a woman and had to get pregnant, then who got her pregnant? God was a male and was not born by a woman.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2198 May 25, 2012
Don5163 wrote:
<quoted text> YOu must have forgotten: God always was and always will be. Females cannot make babies by themselves. If God was a woman and had to get pregnant, then who got her pregnant? God was a male and was not born by a woman.
So if god was a male, he had to have gotten pregnant. That means trannies are technically the closest to your god, because it would have had to have changed genders if it had one.

You see, you men can't make babies at all.
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2199 May 25, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Anybody Who'd mess with a 9yr old should have His pecker cut off,(after DNA establishes guilt)
Of course. But he's in prison now, and likely won't have a real good time inside. Plus, he's only 23, so he has lots of time to think of what he's done, or, um, maybe he doesn't.

But he needs to look on the bright side -- he hasn't been excommunicated! ;)

&fe ature=related
EVE

Atmore, AL

#2200 May 25, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Anybody Who'd mess with a 9yr old should have His pecker cut off,(after DNA establishes guilt)
Oh, and he'd been "messing" with her long before she was 9 years old, apparently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min Dave Nelson 230,102
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 43 min Thinking 1,403
Islam for peace, or violence? 54 min Thinking 52
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 1,061
Man center of the universe. 7 hr hpcaban 88
Does Being 'Spiritual But Not Religious' Really... 7 hr hpcaban 4
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' Mon Thinking 90

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE