Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22354 Jun 7, 2014
ICR wrote:
1. So you're saying murder really is part of your religion and you need oppressive societies in order for it to survive?

Cool, won't be long till your religion dies then.
Ans.

1. This is your own "summary", I did not say anything like that.

As regards murder being part of your life, just look at any news paper of any big city and you will find plenty of murders there.

What is you explanation about these murders.

Howcome they became part of "Your religion".

Islam lives and spreads or dies out , only time will tell.
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22355 Jun 7, 2014
Adam wrote:
1. The Christian's say the say thing about the Bible, according to them also God's word and you know this full of errors, contradictions and absurdities.

2. If you had been born in hicksville in the usa and brought up by fundies, you could well be a bible basher. This is how religion works. Its largely unbringing.
Ans.

1. Christians and for that matter, people of all religions "make the claim", while the books themselves NEVER make any such cliam.

This is a huge difference. Quran throws an open challenge to every one to prove that it is form God.

What is full of errors, contradictions, and absurdities are other so called scriptures.

Quran is pure and every word of it is truth.

2. What would have happened to me if I was born in USA "Bible Valley" is known to Allah, but have many cases where so many Bible Thumpers, Bishops and Rabbis and people of other faiths have accepted Islam.
Thinking

Iver, UK

#22356 Jun 7, 2014
Religion is wank.
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. Christians and for that matter, people of all religions "make the claim", while the books themselves NEVER make any such cliam.
This is a huge difference. Quran throws an open challenge to every one to prove that it is form God.
What is full of errors, contradictions, and absurdities are other so called scriptures.
Quran is pure and every word of it is truth.
2. What would have happened to me if I was born in USA "Bible Valley" is known to Allah, but have many cases where so many Bible Thumpers, Bishops and Rabbis and people of other faiths have accepted Islam.

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#22357 Jun 7, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps it will be a long time before it dies. Muslims have shown that they hold human life in very low esteem. As long as they are willing to kill people at the drop of a hat, because their religion demands it, they will intimidate dissenters and doubters into silence. Within islamic societies, there's no resources for thinking. If you never hear anyone question the indoctrination, there are no books questioning the koran, and your only image of people who quit is people at the end of a rope, it is unlikely you will come up with questions on your own, let alone ask the questions out loud. Islam is mental slavery.
Of course our friend MUQ has ignored this post.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22358 Jun 7, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course our friend MUQ has ignored this post.
What else I should do to this one sided indiction?
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#22359 Jun 8, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. This is your own "summary", I did not say anything like that.
As regards murder being part of your life, just look at any news paper of any big city and you will find plenty of murders there.
What is you explanation about these murders.
Howcome they became part of "Your religion".
Islam lives and spreads or dies out , only time will tell.
There you go again.

Muslims make up 23% of the world and you are apparently taking pride in the fact muslims killing for apostasy make up less than 50% of all murders.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#22360 Jun 8, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>What is full of errors, contradictions, and absurdities are other so called scriptures.
Quran is pure and every word of it is truth
I had a suspicion about this comment and it turned out I was right.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the first line of the koran:

"In the name of Allah , the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful."

Can any muslims tell us what this 'entirely merciful' being will do to you if you don't worship him unquestioningly?
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22361 Jun 8, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a suspicion about this comment and it turned out I was right.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the first line of the koran:
"In the name of Allah , the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful."
Can any muslims tell us what this 'entirely merciful' being will do to you if you don't worship him unquestioningly?
Quran is in Arabic and the opening verse in Arabic is:

BISMILLAH AL RAHMAN AL RAHEEM.

Your translation is not correct. Rahman and Rahim are two attributes of Allah, both related to

Mercy, but there is slight difference in the meaning.

The translation which you have provided is not correct.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#22363 Jun 9, 2014
May I ask, Just what do they mean by "Defeat Religion" ? do they think this is a game?
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#22364 Jun 9, 2014
Religion = superstition
It's divisive and outdated.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#22365 Jun 9, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
May I ask, Just what do they mean by "Defeat Religion" ? do they think this is a game?
It means to overcome, as it has done in much of Europe. It is on the rise and will eventually overtake and displace religion. Its just a question of how long it will take.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#22366 Jun 9, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>2. What would have happened to me if I was born in USA "Bible Valley" is known to Allah, but have many cases where so many Bible Thumpers, Bishops and Rabbis and people of other faiths have accepted Islam.
I note the reluctance for you to admit the truth, that if you were born in the USA to a Christian family you would likely be a Christian. It is very rare for people switch religions. Most people follow the one they are brought up in. What is becoming more common is for people to leave religion altogether.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#22367 Jun 9, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Quran is in Arabic and the opening verse in Arabic is:
BISMILLAH AL RAHMAN AL RAHEEM.
Your translation is not correct. Rahman and Rahim are two attributes of Allah, both related to
Mercy, but there is slight difference in the meaning.
The translation which you have provided is not correct.
Clearly your English is a lot better than my arabic but I notice you refused to say what IS the real translation?

It's what is printed in English language versions of the koran, so are they all fake?

Should no English speaking person ever try to read the koran because the translations are a perversion of the word of god?

What about places like afghanistan where most people are illiterate and they don't speak Arabic? Clearly they all have to use translations from the koran too..........
jack

Birmingham, UK

#22368 Jun 9, 2014
we can only pray it does
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#22369 Jun 9, 2014
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Religions [don't] have any morality
True.

Religion has no connection to morality. As we now know morality is subjective and behaviour a product of nature and nurture.

Theology = mythology
Religion = superstition
Blasphemy = satire
Prayer = incantation
Christian name = first or given name
etc...

A secular society protects our culture and society from religion and superstition in general.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22370 Jun 9, 2014
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I note the reluctance for you to admit the truth, that if you were born in the USA to a Christian family you would likely be a Christian. It is very rare for people switch religions. Most people follow the one they are brought up in. What is becoming more common is for people to leave religion altogether.
How can I answer a hypothetical question? If people born in USA were not accepting Islam, then your assumption would have been right.

How you are sure that I would not have found Islam, if I was searching for truth?

If people were not switching religions, how come Christians became 2 Billions today? At "some stage" lot of people switched religions and became Christians, why it cannot or should not happen today?

People are leaving Christianity because it does not provide them answers and they do not study about Islam, because of negative propaganda caused by the media.

Any one who studies Islam with unbiased mind, find the truth of Islam.

You have not asked any question about Islam so far, just talking on other issues.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22371 Jun 9, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly your English is a lot better than my arabic but I notice you refused to say what IS the real translation?
It's what is printed in English language versions of the koran, so are they all fake?
Should no English speaking person ever try to read the koran because the translations are a perversion of the word of god?
What about places like afghanistan where most people are illiterate and they don't speak Arabic? Clearly they all have to use translations from the koran too..........
There are good Quranic translation done by Muslim Scholars, so you should read translations of Quran done by Muslims and do not use your "free hand" translations.

Quranic translations are available in most major languages in the world.

And are you sure that "most Christians" in the world are able to read and understand their Bibles? I am not sure of that.
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#22372 Jun 10, 2014
If islam wasn't such insecure worthless sh!t, there wouldn't be any penalty for apostasy.
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are good Quranic translation done by Muslim Scholars, so you should read translations of Quran done by Muslims and do not use your "free hand" translations.
Quranic translations are available in most major languages in the world.
And are you sure that "most Christians" in the world are able to read and understand their Bibles? I am not sure of that.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#22373 Jun 10, 2014
Religion is nothing but trouble these days...
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014...
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#22374 Jun 10, 2014
These ladies are burning koranic words.

http://www.amazighworld.org/images2/islam-FEM...
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How can I answer a hypothetical question? If people born in USA were not accepting Islam, then your assumption would have been right.
How you are sure that I would not have found Islam, if I was searching for truth?
If people were not switching religions, how come Christians became 2 Billions today? At "some stage" lot of people switched religions and became Christians, why it cannot or should not happen today?
People are leaving Christianity because it does not provide them answers and they do not study about Islam, because of negative propaganda caused by the media.
Any one who studies Islam with unbiased mind, find the truth of Islam.
You have not asked any question about Islam so far, just talking on other issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min I Am No One_ 239,135
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 2 hr Thinking 31
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr MikeF 19,040
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Thinking 2,179
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 7,396
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 12 hr NoahLovesU 7,468
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 12 hr thetruth 115
More from around the web