Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#22195 May 6, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Do the first things first, first believe that there is a Creator of this Universe...who created the Creator shall come afterwards.
Nope. They come together. There is no reason to believe a god exists if it wasn't created and there is no way for it to exist uncreated. What you are proposing is to merely believe on faith. If faith is a good enough reason to believe or disbelieve something, then you have no argument against unbelief.
MUQ1 wrote:

Muslims created the biggest land empire on earth and led the world for many centuries. The earlier Caliphs were killed, shows that they did not have all that legions to guard them.... what else are signs of simple living? No CIA, FBI, to protect YOUR Presidents!!
The fall of Islam shows that they had no god to protect them, and a flawed philosophy to guide them. Islam began to decline when tribalistic, anti-intellectual, religious fundamentalism replaced a culture of tolerance and open-mindedness.

Fennario

#22196 May 6, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
It is like I said, close your eyes and say, there is no sunlight, there is not day....keep on repeating and sun will disappear and light will be gone!!
That's a perfect description of faith - belief divorced from evidence.

Theism is darkness. Open your eyes to the sunshine of modernity. We are casting off the oppressive chains of faith.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#22197 May 7, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
It is like I said, close your eyes and say, there is no sunlight, there is not day....keep on repeating and sun will disappear and light will be gone!!
Sun is real, a god is your imagination

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#22198 May 7, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the first things first, first believe that there is a Creator of this Universe...who created the Creator shall come afterwards.
Muslims created the biggest land empire on earth and led the world for many centuries. The earlier Caliphs were killed, shows that they did not have all that legions to guard them.... what else are signs of simple living?
No CIA, FBI, to protect YOUR Presidents!!
Why should I believe there is a creator of the universe if I have no answer to the question of who created him?

At the moment no one knows why the universe exists (belief is not knowledge) but that's not a reason to make up an answer.

The early caliphs were killed by those close to them so what good would guards do?
Early Islam was a violent time full of war and infighting, hardly a peaceful religion.

Charlie's

#22199 May 7, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Muslims created the biggest land empire on earth
And the MUQs probably want that back.
MUQ1 wrote:
and led the world for many centuries.
They never led the core of Europe
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22200 May 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a perfect description of faith - belief divorced from evidence.....
Exactly
http://www.jesusandmo.net/2014/05/07/funny/

Prayers = incantations
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22203 May 7, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should I believe there is a creator of the universe if I have no answer to the question of who created him?
At the moment no one knows why the universe exists (belief is not knowledge) but that's not a reason to make up an answer.
The early caliphs were killed by those close to them so what good would guards do?
Early Islam was a violent time full of war and infighting, hardly a peaceful religion.
If you do not know that Universe exists, then you should go and see a mental doctor.

And if any thing can come into existence "by itself"....then also you should see a mental doctor.

Who created the creator is also a "loop back" type of question, because it could go on endlessly....so again you should see a mental doctor.

Early Caliphs were not killed by those "who were close to them"..... but because every one could reach them, there were no personal body guards and legions to protect the "democratically elected people's representatives as we have in modern world"

Our leaders are no match for those people.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#22204 May 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do not know that Universe exists, then you should go and see a mental doctor.
And if any thing can come into existence "by itself"....then also you should see a mental doctor.
Who created the creator is also a "loop back" type of question, because it could go on endlessly....so again you should see a mental doctor.
Early Caliphs were not killed by those "who were close to them"..... but because every one could reach them, there were no personal body guards and legions to protect the "democratically elected people's representatives as we have in modern world"
If you think the same God wasn't created you need to see a mental doctor.How come God's creator leads to infinite regress but God himself seems to be beginning of everything?This is called special pleading.A logical fallacy..Do you know how logic works MUQ or your blind faith has corrupted your reasoning faculties?
Why not leave universe as it is rather than assigning an unproved creator to it?
If everything was created by your logic,how come God could exist without a start?It needs an explanation,

Fennario

#22205 May 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
if any thing can come into existence "by itself"....then also you should see a mental doctor.
The least likely thing to exist uncreated is a god, much less likely than a singularity or a cell..

As unlikely as perfect, immortal, omnipotent, and omniscient beings are to exist uncreated, the existence of just one of them is even less likely. A pantheon of gods woulds be more likely than just one - unless you think that your god cannibalized its siblings.

Your god belief is easily explained. Gods cannot be explained

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22206 May 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

The least likely thing to exist uncreated is a god, much less likely than a singularity or a cell..
That's logically unsound. We understand the cell and what is necessary for it to exist. We have no such understanding of a god. Therefore, it cannot be said that its existences is less likely or more likely.

Further, nobody knows whether a god possesses the qualities of omniscience, omnipotence, etc., nor any other specific quality. Including these requirements in the hypothetical calculation of probabilities is a non-sequitur, which adds to the superficiality of the entire mental exercise. Not that it needed it.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22207 May 8, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think the same God wasn't created you need to see a mental doctor.How come God's creator leads to infinite regress but God himself seems to be beginning of everything?This is called special pleading.A logical fallacy..Do you know how logic works MUQ or your blind faith has corrupted your reasoning faculties?
Why not leave universe as it is rather than assigning an unproved creator to it?
If everything was created by your logic,how come God could exist without a start?It needs an explanation,
The infinite regress argument only applies in the physical universe. An independently-existing god would be "atemporal", and does not logically require a cause-effect relationship.

This does not require special pleading, but simply acknowledgement of the limits of physical law.

Charlie's

#22209 May 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
The infinite regress argument only applies in the physical universe. An independently-existing god would be "atemporal", and does not logically require a cause-effect relationship.
This does not require special pleading, but simply acknowledgement of the limits of physical law.
Being out of sphere of experimental study, you a can imagine the god you want indeed, but you enter in magical thought.
And you can apply not unlogical cause-effect to the universe's seed as well, it doesn't need a cause to exist.

Since: Feb 14

Tejgaon, Bangladesh

#22210 May 8, 2014
It is truly sad what those muslim did too those innocent girls and then I see my father say, yes this happens if you do not practice islam, then I thought what does this have to do with praying? Some years ago when a random guy burned a "cockran" he got killed, and both my parent said, he deserved it... And they keept on saying those terrible things and trust me they are one of the most stupid religious people, because they barely know their own god damn religion!

There was times when I got angry and told them to shut up and tried to explain them that it is not right to say these things!

But my parents aren't the ones no, no trust me there are god damn more of these sick bastard, oh trust me, those sickos come to europe and they start doing their crap in a way which makes everyone pisst.

How do I know this? This happened 7 years ago, bunch of bearded pakis was in my hometown, Vestby in the state Akershus trying to spread their bullshit. And one of them talked to me and at first I thought they'd me pedo-bear rapists or something at first, but he said hallo I am a muslim may I have a second of your time?

And then they went on with their propaganda bullshit I tried to leave, but they kind of keept talking about this... Blah,blah, blah, we hate jews, blah, blah, blah, innocent muslims are been killed, blah,blah blah! And I said it, I am actually a atheist you know. and I went. Next day I saw them again and they keept on trying to persude children which are mostly middle-eastern/south-asian looking. I went then to my teacher and told her about them, you know what happened after that? And After that they were gone!

These muslims try to brainwase people, you think these boko-haram-wahtever named guys just suddenly started to act like they do now by their own? No that is bullshi, they were surely been persuded too do these things by your fellow muslim missionary iman guy.

Next time you see a muslim talking bullshit to a child please punch this person on the face or call the cops, if this is not done within they start talking will they maybe scare the poor childs way of thinking, please do the right act before it's too late!

Fennario

#22211 May 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
That's logically unsound. We understand the cell and what is necessary for it to exist. We have no such understanding of a god. Therefore, it cannot be said that its existences is less likely or more likely. Further, nobody knows whether a god possesses the qualities of omniscience, omnipotence, etc., nor any other specific quality. Including these requirements in the hypothetical calculation of probabilities is a non-sequitur, which adds to the superficiality of the entire mental exercise. Not that it needed it.
Hiya, Buck. Nice to have you back with us.

I still find the god hypothesis unlikely and unnecessary. It adds nothing to the multiverse hypothesis apart from a lot of unneeded complexity with no additional explanatory power.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#22212 May 8, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do I say I don't know if the universe exists?
Of course it exists!
MUQ wrote:
We don't know why the universe exists but if it popped into existence without cause then so be it. Your personal opinion is irrelevant.
MUQ wrote:
You say the universe can't exist without a cause yet you believe a creator exists without cause?
Have you ever considered studying logic?
MUQ wrote:
It appears your caliphs did need body guards as they were killed by Muslims.

“Finding the gate of Uthman's house strongly guarded by his supporters, the rebels climbed the back wall and sneaked inside, leaving the guards on the gate unaware of what was going on inside. The rebels entered his room and struck blows at his head.[33] Naila, the wife of Uthman, threw herself on his body to protect him.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uthman_ibn_Affan...

“On the nineteenth of Ramadan, while Ali was praying in the mosque of Kufa, the Kharijite Abd-al-Rahman ibn Muljam assassinated him with a strike of his poison-coated sword. Ali, wounded by the poisonous sword, lived for two days and died on the 21st of Ramadan in the city of Kufa in 661 CE.[23]”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_as_Caliph#De...

“Common sense prevails.”

Since: Mar 14

3rd rock from the sun.

#22214 May 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's logically unsound. We understand the cell and what is necessary for it to exist. We have no such understanding of a god. Therefore, it cannot be said that its existences is less likely or more likely.
Further, nobody knows whether a god possesses the qualities of omniscience, omnipotence, etc., nor any other specific quality. Including these requirements in the hypothetical calculation of probabilities is a non-sequitur, which adds to the superficiality of the entire mental exercise. Not that it needed it.
How about several million year's worth of no evidence, as in zip, zilch, nada. I can CLAIM many, many things that you can never disprove. If you've got some sort of deity roll his old bones out here and quit spinning tall tales.

“Common sense prevails.”

Since: Mar 14

3rd rock from the sun.

#22215 May 8, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Being out of sphere of experimental study, you a can imagine the god you want indeed, but you enter in magical thought.
And you can apply not unlogical cause-effect to the universe's seed as well, it doesn't need a cause to exist.
He's also a victim of wishful thinking, this magical, atemporal entity supposedly promised him that he'll live forever and be a happy camper to boot. It also leads him to believe that anyone who was ever mean to him will get righteously shafted.

This blarney assuages his fear of dying and and gives him the old energy boost of feeling somehow better than others....i.e. a real purpose in his otherwise dreary life. Pure ambrosia to his senses, like a fly to honey. Of course flies like to crawl over lots of things that aren't quite so palatable.....witness the many not so shining examples of religion.

Charlie's

#22216 May 9, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
Where do I say I don't know if the universe exists?
Of course it exists!
I have already noticed and told that the MUQs often distort what peoples say and then attack them.
Wich demonstrates how vicious rethoric means they use.
These guys who come and pretend they have better a religion and better a morality than any, they just are their worse advertizers.

Charlie's

#22218 May 9, 2014
DebraE wrote:
He's also a victim of wishful thinking, this magical, atemporal entity supposedly promised him that he'll live forever and be a happy camper to boot. It also leads him to believe that anyone who was ever mean to him will get righteously shafted.
I don't agree, Buck Crick just argues on our ignorances, on imperfecions of scientifical knowledge, he doesn't intend to propagate his concepts.
Magyar 101

Europe

#22219 May 10, 2014
You guys are hectec!
I las, posted here as paprikas, you are going around in circles, trying to get a point across.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Into The Night 94,310
News Geoff Robson is wrong about Richard Dawkins, th... 3 hr nanoanomaly 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 hr nanoanomaly 5,973
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 16 hr Eagle 12 - 142
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 21 Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3