Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,199

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22107 Apr 23, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it's wrong to compare god to santa claus.
Santa claus really did exist.
Yeah I knew you would say that Santa Clause does exist, who else gives you those gifts at Christmas eve.... by the way, when did you check with a psychiatrist?
spider 1954

Saint Albans, UK

#22108 Apr 24, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I knew you would say that Santa Clause does exist, who else gives you those gifts at Christmas eve.... by the way, when did you check with a psychiatrist?
Santa clause is the patron saint of thieves.

Since: Dec 06

One of Paris' nicest districts

#22109 Apr 24, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
You don't even know to read, it was written DID exist, not DOES exist.
The more you post, the more you show dishonnesty and the more you give reasons to hate islamists

#22110 Apr 24, 2014
spider 1954 wrote:
Never heard of that.
Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, patron of the children https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus .
When I was a kid, no Santa Claus gifts for christmas, we had little gitfs such as an orange, a mandarine or candies at Saint Nicholas day on December 6, and some at new year day
rio

Beckenham, UK

#22111 Apr 24, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of that.
Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, patron of the children https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus .
When I was a kid, no Santa Claus gifts for christmas, we had little gitfs such as an orange, a mandarine or candies at Saint Nicholas day on December 6, and some at new year day
There seems to be a confusion in some quarters between Saint Nicholas and Father Christmas.

Saint Nicholas was celebrated among Christians on December 6th.

Father Christmas was, I think, introduced by the atheists as an alternative to Saint Nicholas.
In Russia they had Father Frost.

I have read that Santa Klaus at Christmas was a Dutch import to the United States in early 1900 to boost trade in the department stores at that time of the year.
spider 1954

Saint Albans, UK

#22112 Apr 24, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of that.
Sorry,,, getting my saints mixed up there. Saint Nicholas of Myra was the patron saint of thieves.
Not a criminal himself,, just helped those who were to reform.

Although not a religious family, we have since I was a child exchanged gifts on the 25th of December,, I put it down to peer pressure,, but then of course it does help to brighten things up at what is often a dismal time of year in the UK. I to remember the fruit, nuts and sweets as a child.
spider 1954

Saint Albans, UK

#22113 Apr 24, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
There seems to be a confusion in some quarters between Saint Nicholas and Father Christmas.
Saint Nicholas was celebrated among Christians on December 6th.
Father Christmas was, I think, introduced by the atheists as an alternative to Saint Nicholas.
In Russia they had Father Frost.
I have read that Santa Klaus at Christmas was a Dutch import to the United States in early 1900 to boost trade in the department stores at that time of the year.
Yes,, the confusion is all mine.

Interesting to note that prior to the Coca Cola advertising campaign that depicted Father Christmas in red and ermine,,, he was often depicted in various colours according to what part of Europe you happened to find yourself in.

Interesting post.
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22114 Apr 25, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't even know to read, it was written DID exist, not DOES exist.
The more you post, the more you show dishonnesty and the more you give reasons to hate islamists
Teaching English Grammar on the thread?

Who is more dishonest, time will tell.
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22115 Apr 25, 2014
spider 1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a member of that society?

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#22116 Apr 25, 2014
spider 1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,, the confusion is all mine.
Interesting to note that prior to the Coca Cola advertising campaign that depicted Father Christmas in red and ermine,,, he was often depicted in various colours according to what part of Europe you happened to find yourself in.
Interesting post.
In Sweden there was Yule Goat before Santa Claus

http://sakalah.deviantart.com/art/The-History...

#22117 Apr 25, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
No, just noticing that you often twist what people say just for criticising what they don't mean
MUQ1 wrote:
time doesn't speak, it just goes by

#22118 Apr 25, 2014
rio wrote:
Holland, Belgium, North and East of France (Flandre, Lorraine and Alsace) have been a same kingdom

Since: Feb 14

Kokubunji, Japan

#22120 Apr 25, 2014
2 weeks ago or so
So I had this talk With my secular kind of muslim friend, but he was talking in behind my back. It was mostly about how bad it was that I was not a believer in the tooth fairy(god, whatever!). So my other chinese friend like me disagreed With this jibberish about this tooth fairy. Eventualy as my muslim friend who came to his senses stopped bashing us about the tooth fairy and tried instead talking about his story and relationship with the tooth fairy helpers.

He plapered and woptidupted (made up words) various of interresting Things about those tooth fairy helpers and how they assisted the tooth fairy. As i was a Nice friend did i try not to to be rude and let him continue his lecture about how great the tooth fairy is, he also told me he wanted to meet her in person. Ofc I had my strange ideas , but nevertheless I respected his ambitions!

But as time passed I did interrupt him with contradicting stuff about why the tooth fairy is bad, like she steals the teeth from old People to, and they then have to og to the dentist to get New ones.

But he was a kind of secular person so he wasn't the type which would yell at me if i had a different opinion, it went pretty smoothly, and I believe he might see it's bit weird to believe in the tooth fairy after all. Well he is 18 years old, he must grow out of it some day, right?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#22122 Apr 25, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there someone whom you think capable of winning the title from you?

JUBAIL, KSA

#22123 Apr 26, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there someone whom you think capable of winning the title from you?
Look in the mirror, you will find abetter candidate right in front of you.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#22124 Apr 27, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Holland, Belgium, North and East of France (Flandre, Lorraine and Alsace) have been a same kingdom
What ? In early 1900 ?

#22125 Apr 28, 2014
rio wrote:
What ? In early 1900 ?
The possessions of the Duke of Burgundy https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common...

Dhaka, Bangladesh

#22126 Apr 28, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure you and 4,5 billion of Your friends shouldn't go for a check instead?

JUBAIL, KSA

#22127 Apr 28, 2014
Elixz wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure you and 4,5 billion of Your friends shouldn't go for a check instead?
It is those who believe in Santa should go and find his place of residence. He seems to have a physical body, does he not and a sack where "made in China" toys are filled to the capacity!

It should be easy to trace him, sneaking into houses at dead in the night and dropping all those "pinched" stuff!!

How come you scored those excellent marks in your school days on religion?

Dhaka, Bangladesh

#22128 Apr 28, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is those who believe in Santa should go and find his place of residence. He seems to have a physical body, does he not and a sack where "made in China" toys are filled to the capacity!
It should be easy to trace him, sneaking into houses at dead in the night and dropping all those "pinched" stuff!!
How come you scored those excellent marks in your school days on religion?
Because I did not have to bother With religion, and was the only kid who didn't believe santa was real when i was in kindergarden.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 38 min Eagle 12 232,906
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 57 min Eagle 12 2,287
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 2 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 9 hr _Bad Company 143
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web