Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24083 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

rio

Bromley, UK

#22130 Apr 28, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
The possessions of the Duke of Burgundy https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common...
Was that in early 1900 ?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#22131 Apr 28, 2014
rio wrote:
Was that in early 1900 ?
Date is mentionned.
Why do you think that Santa Claus was exported to USA in early 1900 ?

Charlie's

#22132 Apr 28, 2014
trandiode wrote:
To the list of Father Christmas, Tooth Fairies, vampires,Leprechauns,witches and dragons you can add the Big Bang Theory and the theory of Evolution ! just as plausible :)
If you want to compete with the Muqs for who's being the most retrograde, you have some chances
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

#22133 Apr 28, 2014
Ooooooooooooooooo. Just remember my old friend George.

A Brilliant mind.

Cyril.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#22134 Apr 28, 2014
trandiode wrote:
To the list of Father Christmas, Tooth Fairies, vampires,Leprechauns,witches and dragons you can add the Big Bang Theory and the theory of Evolution ! just as plausible :)
Actually, you can add the Kraken, Jesus, and Medusa.

Big Bang and Evolution are science. They are represent reality. You don't get to put your make believe characters on the same shelf with them.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22135 Apr 28, 2014
What did prophet preach?(The other side of story)

Selection from the book MISHKAT AL MASABEEH (an authentic collection of sayings of prophet) Part-12

Subject: On having mercy on others

74. Prophet PBUH said “Allah does not love those who do not love their fellow beings”

75. Prophet PBUH said “Simile of a Muslim having mercy and help of other Muslim is like of one human body. If any part of it is affected by illness or pain or fever, the whole body feels it”

76. Prophet PBUH said “Muslims are like one house, one part of which supports the other, then he showed fingers of one hand going into others”

77. Prophet PBUH said “I swear to in whose hand my life is (i.e. Allah), your faith cannot become complete unless you love for your brother, what you love for yourself”

78. Prophet PBUH said “Help your brother he be wrong or right, companions asked “We understand to help our brother when he is being wronged, how can we help him when he is on wrong?”

Prophet PBUH said “To stop him from doing wrong is in fact helping your brother”

79. Prophet PBUH said “True belief is to give best advice. The companions asked to whom or how?. The Prophet PBUH said “To Allah, and His book and to His messenger and to all Muslim”

“AU KAMA QAAL ALAIHI AL SALAT WA SALAAM (Prophet PBUH said these or similar words)

Contd.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#22136 Apr 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you can add the Kraken, Jesus, and Medusa.
Big Bang and Evolution are science. They are represent reality. You don't get to put your make believe characters on the same shelf with them.
They are made up, there is no proof of there existence whatsoever just a whole lot of science books written about there existence ! they are a Fairytale :)

Fennario

#22137 Apr 29, 2014
Actually, you can add the Kraken, Jesus, and Medusa. Big Bang and Evolution are science. They are represent reality. You don't get to put your make believe characters on the same shelf with them.
trandiode wrote:
They are made up, there is no proof of there existence whatsoever just a whole lot of science books written about there existence ! they are a Fairytale :)
This is one of the ways that faith based thinking damages people.
rio

Bromley, UK

#22138 May 1, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Date is mentionned.
Why do you think that Santa Claus was exported to USA in early 1900 ?
Because that's when it appeared in department stores in the USA at the occasion of Christmas. It was a commercial plan.

Apparently Dutch brought it to the US, and instead of celebrating in on December 6, they associated it with Christmas.

Fennario

#22140 May 1, 2014
rio wrote:
Because that's when it appeared in department stores in the USA at the occasion of Christmas. It was a commercial plan.
Santa has come to Mexico, the country to which I expatriated five years ago.

When I first arrived, Christmas was a desert holiday characterized by predominantly by mangers with magi following stars, camels, and baby Jesus. But Mexicans can't get enough of American culture. So, thanks to Wal-Mart's relatively recent appearance on the scene, it's becoming a North Pole holiday characterized by Santa, Rudolph, Frosty, Christmas lights and tinsel. Ho ho ho!

Easter had always been about Jesus' scourging and crucifixion here in Mexico, but even more recently, Wal-Mart introduced chocolate bunnies, Peeps (marshmallow bunnies and chicks), and egg coloring kits.

O holy! O so holy!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22142 May 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Santa has come to Mexico, the country to which I expatriated five years ago.
When I first arrived, Christmas was a desert holiday characterized by predominantly by mangers with magi following stars, camels, and baby Jesus. But Mexicans can't get enough of American culture. So, thanks to Wal-Mart's relatively recent appearance on the scene, it's becoming a North Pole holiday characterized by Santa, Rudolph, Frosty, Christmas lights and tinsel. Ho ho ho!
Easter had always been about Jesus' scourging and crucifixion here in Mexico, but even more recently, Wal-Mart introduced chocolate bunnies, Peeps (marshmallow bunnies and chicks), and egg coloring kits.
O holy! O so holy!
Jesus prefers the marshmallow bunnies to the chocolate ones.

Chocolate has too much potential for enjoyment.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#22143 May 1, 2014
What is truth ? While I am asleep dreaming is that dream my truth at that moment in time ? When I am remembering vividly a scene from the past is that my truth at that particular moment in time ? If I do not like the taste of strawberries that is my truth but not necessarily yours, if I were to believe wholeheartedly that 9/11 was a complete sham but you believe wholeheartedly that the official version was honest and correct we both believe in two complete opposite versions of the truth! So what is truth ? I believe in a realm that exists outside of the material that is my truth If you do not that is your truth ! Who is right who is wrong ? Or because they are both firmly held opposing truths perhaps they are both the truth and neither is a lie ?
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#22144 May 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
What is truth ? While I am asleep dreaming is that dream my truth at that moment in time ? When I am remembering vividly a scene from the past is that my truth at that particular moment in time ? If I do not like the taste of strawberries that is my truth but not necessarily yours, if I were to believe wholeheartedly that 9/11 was a complete sham but you believe wholeheartedly that the official version was honest and correct we both believe in two complete opposite versions of the truth! So what is truth ? I believe in a realm that exists outside of the material that is my truth If you do not that is your truth ! Who is right who is wrong ? Or because they are both firmly held opposing truths perhaps they are both the truth and neither is a lie ?
Truth is what Prophets preach based on what they receive as revelation from God Almighty.

You follow them and you reach your goal.

It is as simple as that

Fennario

#22145 May 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Jesus prefers the marshmallow bunnies to the chocolate ones. Chocolate has too much potential for enjoyment.
Hiya, Buck.

Fennario

#22146 May 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You seem quite far from understanding what truth is. For example, you're conflating subjective truth - things true for you but not for everybody, such as having a headache or preferring blue to red - and objective truth - things true for everybody living in our common physical reality, such as the fact of being held to earth by gravity.

I'd explain the relationship between objective truth, pragmatism, physical reality, and experience if I thought you cared, but I understand that as a faith based thinker, your interest is in affirming supernaturalism and the articles of your faith, not connecting them to the world.

You can call faith truth, but if it can't be connected to experience, your version of truth is indistinguishable from untruth, of no value to others, and of no value to you except perhaps psychologically through offering false hope.

Fennario

#22147 May 2, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Truth is what Prophets preach based on what they receive as revelation from God Almighty. You follow them and you reach your goal. It is as simple as that
This is exactly wrong. If you could achieve goals by accepting revelation as truth, then there would be some truth to it.

But religion has given the world nothing of lasting value, while causing it great harm - exactly what you'd expect from something that is incorrect

There is no truth in faith. How could there be when it is possible to have faith in any idea or its opposite? Ideas have to be able to predict and/or control objective, repeatable experience to have any value, and nothing less deserves to be called true.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22148 May 2, 2014
Religion = superstition

Since: Feb 14

Tejgaon, Bangladesh

#22149 May 2, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is what Prophets preach based on what they receive as revelation from God Almighty.
It is as simple as that
I am sure you've heard from Your parents too not be With friends which are bad for you. Your mom might have said, if Your friend jumped of a Cliff or killed someone would you do the same?

Do you get my point?

Charlie's

#22150 May 3, 2014
rio wrote:
Apparently Dutch brought it to the US, and instead of celebrating in on December 6, they associated it with Christmas.
The dutch founded NY witch was New Amsterdam,
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ne...
they probably went with Santa Claus celebrations too.

Charlie's

#22151 May 3, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
It is as simple as that
Blockheaded MUQs have still not understood that atheists have no almighty god, therefore no revelation at any prophet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min ChristineM 256,047
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 28 min Chazofsaints 40,690
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Thinking 4,687
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 2 hr IB DaMann 263
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr karl44 20,615
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr ChristineM 16,189
Good arguments against Christianity 5 hr thetruth 102
More from around the web