Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24099 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#22026 Apr 16, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Scandinavian countries are predominantly atheistic and they're reckoned among happiest nations in the world.The world would do much better without religion.
Are you aware that the same Scandinavian Nations that have happiest people living, also have the highest suicide rates in whole Europe?

How come the happiest people start committing suicide at the slightest hindrance to their happiness!!

That is what happens if you have no religion and no hope of a future life

JUBAIL, KSA

#22027 Apr 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What an absurd claim. How could that be possible? Religion makes no contribution to civilization. It is a societal parasite - always taking - and can't die fast enough.
There is a reason why the rise of faith and religion at the expense of reason was called the Dark Ages, and why the rebirth of reason and the illumination of the world by its application were called the Renaissance and Enlightenment.
You have no knowledge about the roles of religion in human civlization, in fact it is Athiests who had created no human civlization.

Even now they are living as Parasite Piggy backing on the majority of religious people in their nations.

Communists were the really atheist people who tried to form a civlization based on Atheism and every one knows what type of civlization that was! They killed more people in their own countries than any outsider could.

You should try to learn what is atheism and what are its side affects.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22028 Apr 16, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you aware that the same Scandinavian Nations that have happiest people living, also have the highest suicide rates in whole Europe?
How come the happiest people start committing suicide at the slightest hindrance to their happiness!!
No, as usual you are wrong.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness...
Religion has nothing to do with suicide. And if you're religious then you have no hope as religion only offers superstition and dogma. At least non-believers get to enjoy a more realistic view of life while we live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...

Religion = superstition
Humanity is less divided and there's less ignorance without it.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22029 Apr 16, 2014
Lol!:
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
One day, you'll see books on the history of christianity right next to history of Thor and other, discarded religions.
I wonder what will come next? Trekkism? Jediasm? Terminatorism? Some sort of zombie-anticipation cult?
Interesting Times.
Thanks for your kind replies Bob. I do read them (I may miss some) but I've little time for Topix these days & our views are so close we're often saying the same things, so I often don't reply.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22030 Apr 16, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no knowledge about the roles of religion in human civlization, in fact it is Athiests who had created no human civlization.
Even now they are living as Parasite Piggy backing on the majority of religious people in their nations.
Communists were the really atheist people who tried to form a civlization based on Atheism and every one knows what type of civlization that was! They killed more people in their own countries than any outsider could.
You should try to learn what is atheism and what are its side affects.
Here we go again, confusing communism with atheism. One might just as well call communism a religion, that's just as daft.

But then daft seems to be what religion is all about, fancy a fun trip anyone?...
https://www.google.co.uk/search...

The young in the USA will save the country....
http://time.com/57747/millennials-skeptical-b...

Religion = superstition

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#22031 Apr 16, 2014
EdSed wrote:
Lol!:
<quoted text>Thanks for your kind replies Bob. I do read them (I may miss some) but I've little time for Topix these days & our views are so close we're often saying the same things, so I often don't reply.
Indeed-- I do not always reply either, if I pretty much agree with the post.

Of course-- if the poster is a godrobot? I may just ignore the whole schtick as not worth the bother.

:)

JUBAIL, KSA

#22032 Apr 17, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>No, as usual you are wrong.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness...
Religion has nothing to do with suicide. And if you're religious then you have no hope as religion only offers superstition and dogma. At least non-believers get to enjoy a more realistic view of life while we live.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...
Religion = superstition
Humanity is less divided and there's less ignorance without it.
He was talking about Scandinavian people being athiests and happiest people on earth, how come their suicide rates is also highest?

That is point people should think about.

JUBAIL, KSA

#22033 Apr 17, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Here we go again, confusing communism with atheism. One might just as well call communism a religion, that's just as daft.
But then daft seems to be what religion is all about, fancy a fun trip anyone?...
https://www.google.co.uk/search...
The young in the USA will save the country....
http://time.com/57747/millennials-skeptical-b...
Religion = superstition
Communism is the ONLY civilization that we know off, which was based on total negation of religion and concept of God.

There is no other Civilization in our knowledge which was based on Athiesm, what we are seeing as "athiests" is mainly religious people of Western nations are like I said Piggy Back. They are enjoying fruits of the nation and civilisation and the institution built by people who believed in religion.

Show me a single country which was founded by athiests and where they built up any civilization from scratch.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22034 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He was talking about Scandinavian people being athiests and happiest people on earth, how come their suicide rates is also highest?
That is point people should think about.
You apparently don't think at all.

Read my reply Muq. The evidence I posted was (1) Religion/atheism has nothing to do with suicide and (2) Scandinavian countries do not have a notably high suicide rate.

And you ignore the evidence of chaos, violence and misery in so many Muslim countries as well as instances of intolerance and lack of freedom of speech and expression there. Women can't even drive in Saudi Arabia!

http://www.jesusandmo.net/2011/09/07/women2/

Religion = superstition
Get well soon.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22035 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Communism is the ONLY civilization that we know off, which was based on total negation of religion and concept of God.
There is no other Civilization in our knowledge which was based on Athiesm, what we are seeing as "athiests" is mainly religious people of Western nations are like I said Piggy Back. They are enjoying fruits of the nation and civilisation and the institution built by people who believed in religion.
Communism wasn't based on atheism at all. How many kinds of stupid are you? Google it yourself, e.g.
"The CPSU was organized around the idea of democratic centralism, a principle conceived by Lenin that entails democratic and open discussion of policy issues and the requirement of unity in upholding agreed upon policies."Show me a single country which was founded by athiests and where they built up any civilization from scratch
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_...

Religion/atheism is nothing to do with communism. The communists are anti-religion because (unlike the Nazis, Zionists and Islamists for examples) they couldn't use the established church for their purposes. The Churches were too close to the Imperial regimes.

It is your obsession with religion/atheism that prevents you seeing the obvious. Grow up.

You wrote, "Show me a single country which was founded by athiests and where they built up any civilization from scratch". I can't because atheism isn't an ideology....
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...
"Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."
That's what atheism means. Again, you can't understand because of your Islamist ideology. Dump it and get better.

Religion = superstition
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22036 Apr 17, 2014
Not that nations are built on ideologies, by the way. They may be afflicted by an ideology, the way Pakistan suffers from Islamism, but other than that nations weren't founded by religions. Religions are man made and part of early culture.

Obvious and common sense stuff.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#22037 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
How come the happiest people start committing suicide at the slightest hindrance to their happiness!! That is what happens if you have no religion and no hope of a future life
Two words, dude: suicide bomber.

That's what happens when you have religion and hope of a future life - with 72 virgins.

I've got a joke I think you'll like:

Two Saudi mothers are sitting in a cafe chatting over a plate of tabouli and a pint of goat's milk. The older of the two pulls a bag out of her purse and starts flipping through photos. They start reminiscing.“This is my oldest son, Mujibar. He would have been 24 years old now.”

“Yes, I remember him as a baby” says the other mother cheerfully.

"He's a martyr now though" the first mother confides.

"Oh, so sad dear” says the other.

“And this is my second son, Khalid. He would have been 21.”

“Oh, I remember him,” says the other happily.”He had such curly hair when he was born.”

“He's a martyr too” says the first mother quietly.

“Oh, gracious me ...” says the other.

“And this is my third son. My baby. My beautiful Ahmed. He would have been 18”, she whispers.

"Yes" says the friend enthusiastically.”I remember when he first started school”

“He's a martyr also,” says the first mother, with tears in her eyes.

After a pause and a deep sigh, the second Muslim mother looks wistfully at the photographs and, searching for the right words, says, "They blow up so fast, dear, don't they?"

Fennario

#22038 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
You are exactly wrong. Religion is a parasite. All of man's best ideas have come from rational skepticism, empiricism and rational ethics. Left to you throwbacks, civilization would end in nuclear holocaust. Does anybody doubt that if a nuke is detonated by a terrorist that he will be a Muslim attacking Jews or Christians?
MUQ1 wrote:
Communists were the really atheist people who tried to form a civlization based on Atheism and every one knows what type of civlization that was!
All of the best countries in the world are based on secular humanism. We loathe all theocracies, including the ones with human gods. How are Allah and Yahweh different from Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot? Yahweh promises to sterilize the whole earth. He makes the Communists look like the March of Dimes.

Fennario

#22039 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
He was talking about Scandinavian people being athiests and happiest people on earth, how come their suicide rates is also highest? That is point people should think about.
Think about this:

https://www.google.com.mx/search...

Fennario

#22040 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Communism is the ONLY civilization that we know off, which was based on total negation of religion and concept of God. There is no other Civilization in our knowledge which was based on Athiesm, what we are seeing as "athiests" is mainly religious people of Western nations are like I said Piggy Back. They are enjoying fruits of the nation and civilisation and the institution built by people who believed in religion.
Show me a single country which was founded by athiests and where they built up any civilization from scratch.
Is Communism your best argument to preserve your parasitic faith? Communism is just another problem like Islam and Christianity.

And there has never been a government based on atheism. Atheism isn't an ideology. Marxism is, as are Leninism, Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.

My ideology is secular humanism, upon which the great Western liberal democracies are founded, and from which all progress in the human condition comes. Your country is a theocracy. Nothing of value has ever come from it. You'd still be lepers living in tents without Western technology.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22041 Apr 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Communism your best argument to preserve your parasitic faith? Communism is just another problem like Islam and Christianity.
And there has never been a government based on atheism. Atheism isn't an ideology. Marxism is, as are Leninism, Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.
My ideology is secular humanism, upon which the great Western liberal democracies are founded, and from which all progress in the human condition comes. Your country is a theocracy. Nothing of value has ever come from it. You'd still be lepers living in tents without Western technology.
The American democracy is not founded on secular humanism. It is founded on the theistic idea that human rights derive from creation by God. This is no proof that the proposition is true, but the fact remains.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#22042 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The American democracy is not founded on secular humanism. It is founded on the theistic idea that human rights derive from creation by God. This is no proof that the proposition is true, but the fact remains.
Funny, since that's not in the Constitution. It's not even in the Declaration of Independance.

Besides which, rights have little meaning under a theocracy, whose beneficients are at the whim of the deity, and-or those who claim to speak for it. That's why all the fundies tell us to worship (our way) or burn.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#22043 Apr 17, 2014
Another one of Buck's "facts" (i.e. gibberish):
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!

I reject the view that a humanistic society has any ideology. I think it more accurate and helpful to say that an inclusive, democratic society accepts certain secular and humanist principles such as one law for all (instead of religious courts); freedom of speech and expression; separation of Church and state; freedom of and from religion; an independent media; separation of powers, executive, legislative and judicial; freedom of association; and protection of minority rights. These have been discovered and developed by human societies since what Western histories often describe as the early modern period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_per...

There are other helpful developments such as scientific method.

none of that has anything to do with religion or theology which have only hampered progress as (for example) the Pope's attitude to Galileo illustrates.

Religion = superstition
Earlier societies were superstitious and religion is the last bastion of superstition.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#22045 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And do you know suicide bombing also counts as suicide?Is suicide in craving of 72 virgins acceptable?
Doesn't it has been indoctrinated to you that death is more beautiful than life as death supposedly leads to the pleasure and debauchery offered in a non-existent Heaven?
OH MUQ! why this double standard?I have read Quran and it does say "Love death more than life"
How positive it is!
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#22046 Apr 17, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. Most of the founders of comunism were christians and Russia is only 15% atheist.
MUQ1 wrote:
Every developed nation on earth is run on the principle of seperation of church and state.

Has there been a single theocracy in all of history that didn't get involved in wars with people of differing beleifs?

Also, unless you can demonstrate how religion has helped science or civilisation, your claims are utterly laughable. religion has done all it can to hold us back and keep us uneducated and ignorant.
MUQ1 wrote:
Show me a single time anyone did that, no matter what their beliefs were.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min ChristineM 18,680
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Chimney1 43,367
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 48 min ChristineM 784
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 256,615
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 1 hr thetruth 354
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 hr thetruth 4,833
News Why I quit atheism 4 hr thetruth 717
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr thetruth 10,082
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr thetruth 21,236
A Universe from Nothing? 9 hr Insults Are Easier 602
More from around the web