Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21980 Apr 6, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Killing on other ground is in fact an "Honor"? Why are you Bigot?
I never said that killing other than for defense at emergent threat of death for oneself, family or relatives would be an honor,
so that your question of bigotry is not only senseless, it is an unjustified attack.
I said what I said, which is that killing in the name of the Very Misericordious was more an obscenity than killing for other reasons, which means that killing for other reasons was an obscenity.
Unless you ignore the meaning of Very Misericordious

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21981 Apr 6, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Killing on other ground is in fact an "Honor"? Why are you Bigot?
How is it bigoted to despise religion? You people are bigoted against unbelievers. We are justified in rejecting you.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21982 Apr 6, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Nations exist and democracies exist.If you fight for them,you'll be fighting for something legitimate and authentic.
On the other hand,fighting for an imaginary/unproved being like your God is simply waste of time and blood.
PS:Any kind of war is unacceptable,
Your post is contradictory , as always!!

JUBAIL, KSA

#21983 Apr 6, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that killing other than for defense at emergent threat of death for oneself, family or relatives would be an honor,
so that your question of bigotry is not only senseless, it is an unjustified attack.
I said what I said, which is that killing in the name of the Very Misericordious was more an obscenity than killing for other reasons, which means that killing for other reasons was an obscenity.
Unless you ignore the meaning of Very Misericordious
You are contradicting yourself. If killing is allowed in one case, why should it not be in other case.

How would you decide which is correct cause and which is not?

Just ridiculing religions will not help you, because the same way people can ridicule nationalism and patriotism and trade issues as well.

First tell us, is killing and wars are allowed and justifiable or not.

You keep shifting your stands, that is why I said you are bigots.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#21984 Apr 7, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is contradictory , as always!!
There was nothing contradictory in my post.Perhaps you misunderstood it?

Mumbai, India

#21985 Apr 7, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are contradicting yourself. If killing is allowed in one case, why should it not be in other case.
Just ridiculing religions will not help you, because the same way people can ridicule nationalism and patriotism and trade issues as well.
Whether the war is righteous or not is decided by the nature of motives behind an aggression.It is true that every war fought in the name of patriotism might not be righteous especially if the war is waged for only sake of national pride .But if the war is fought for the security of citizens then such a war is legitimate.And such a war should be supported by the citizens as it concerns with their lives.
On the other hand,war fought in the name of religion is often for the religious pride than for anything else.Tell me what do you have common with Palestinians other than the fact that you're a Muslim?How does the Palestinian crisis affect your life that you support them?Do you empathize killing of non-Muslims by Muslims as much as you empathize Palestinians?Do you worry about your own country(India) security threat from its belligerent neighbors as much as killing of Palestinians?
Is it not you support Palestinians for your Muslim pride rather than any valid reason?

Charlie's

#21986 Apr 7, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
That's a strange thing I call my mind which decides, based on some ethic laws telling what's the best or smallest damages for all
MUQ1 wrote:
You feel that I'm ridiculing religions, I'm playing with their says, like the one which says that Islam a religion of peace, and supposed to be mercyfull
By the way, I'm not opposed to ridicule nationalism and patriotism, when excessive, nor trade issues.
MUQ1 wrote:
For me, only defensive war is allowed , killing at war isn't the best tactical issue, rather wound an ennemy than killing him, wounded peoples become quick a heavy load for ennemy troops.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21987 Apr 7, 2014
What did prophet preach?(The other side of story)

Selection from the book MISHKAT AL MASABEEH (an authentic collection of sayings of prophet) Part-10

Subject: Back Biting and others

60. Prophet PBUH said “Back biting is worse than fornication, the companions asked how is it”

Prophet PBUH said “When one commits fornication, he asks Allah for forgiveness, and Allah may forgive his sin, but when one backbites, Allah will not forgive the sin, unless the person wronged himself forgives it”

61. Prophet PBUH said “if some one has back bitten his brother, expitation for this is he should ask his friend to forgive him and say “O Allah forgive us both”

62. The companions asked Prophet PBUH ,“You some time talk to us lightly and make some jokes, the Prophet PBUH said “Even when I joke or talk lightly, I do not speak except the truth”

62. An old women came to Prophet PBUH and asked for a camel. The Prophet PBUH said “I will only give you a son of a came” The women asked “what use that shall be to me?”

The Prophet PBUH said “Is there any camel who is not the son of another camel?”

63. Prophet PBUH said “Do not commit excess in my praise as Christians did for Jesus the Son of Mary, I am Allah’s servant, so proclaim that I am His Messenger and His Servant”

64. Prophet PBUH said “Every human is from Adam and Adam for made from dust”

65. Prophet PBUH said “Best amongst you is who defends his family and tribe, but he does not commit sin or excess”

66. Prophet PBUH said “The similitude of a person who sides with his people, when they are doing wrong is like some one who is trying to save a camel who fell into a well, by pulling it by its tail (i.e. it would not gain him anything)

“AU KAMA QAAL ALAIHI AL SALAT WA SALAAM (Prophet PBUH said these or similar words)

Contd.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21988 Apr 7, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a strange thing I call my mind which decides, based on some ethic laws telling what's the best or smallest damages for all
<quoted text>
You feel that I'm ridiculing religions, I'm playing with their says, like the one which says that Islam a religion of peace, and supposed to be mercyfull
By the way, I'm not opposed to ridicule nationalism and patriotism, when excessive, nor trade issues.
<quoted text>
For me, only defensive war is allowed , killing at war isn't the best tactical issue, rather wound an ennemy than killing him, wounded peoples become quick a heavy load for ennemy troops.
Religion of peace and being merciful does not mean that it condones tyranny and mischief on the earth and bares itself as a punching bag for every one.

Peace and Mercy is for those who want to live in peace and mercy.

Islam has history of being most tolerant to other faiths and giving their followers highest freedom than given by other religions.

Just count in India, in mere 65 years after Hindu Got power, how many riots broke out and how many people got killed?

Did Govt. took any action? If any action was taken it was mostly against Muslims.

And then they make claims that Hinduism is very tolerant and Hindus are very peaceful people.

You should deal justly and do not stereo type Muslims as it has become fashion these days.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21991 Apr 8, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion of peace and being merciful...
Clearly isn't what Islam is especially known for. It is associated more in many minds with intolerance and less-than-humanistic principles. It is often associated with theocracy and being undemocratic too.

Religion = superstition

Jogeshwari, India

#21992 Apr 8, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion of peace and being merciful does not mean that it condones tyranny and mischief on the earth and bares itself as a punching bag for every one.
Peace and Mercy is for those who want to live in peace and mercy.
Islam has history of being most tolerant to other faiths and giving their followers highest freedom than given by other religions.
Just count in India, in mere 65 years after Hindu Got power, how many riots broke out and how many people got killed?
Did Govt. took any action? If any action was taken it was mostly against Muslims.
And then they make claims that Hinduism is very tolerant and Hindus are very peaceful people.
You should deal justly and do not stereo type Muslims as it has become fashion these days.
How about Muslims killing fellow Muslims?How do Sunnis treat Shias in countries where they're majority?
If Muslims can't live peacefully and with their own kind it is no surprise they have bad blood against Hindus (kaffirs).

Fennario

#21993 Apr 8, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
What did prophet preach?(The other side of story)

62. An old women came to Prophet PBUH and asked for a camel. The Prophet PBUH said “I will only give you a son of a came” The women asked “what use that shall be to me?”
Yeah - a female camel.

Your prophet was quite the genius.
Kgosigadi

Europe

#21995 Apr 8, 2014
If Jehovah and Jesus dont exist, how do we explain the Bible Mysteries?

Fennario

#21996 Apr 8, 2014
Kgosigadi wrote:
If Jehovah and Jesus dont exist, how do we explain the Bible Mysteries?
If they do both exist, how about a fight to the death between them? I'd pay money to see that.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21997 Apr 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If they do both exist, how about a fight to the death between them? I'd pay money to see that.
Jesus told us to take up the cross and follow him,...

....But HE knew HE couldn't die permanently.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21998 Apr 8, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Clearly isn't what Islam is especially known for. It is associated more in many minds with intolerance and less-than-humanistic principles. It is often associated with theocracy and being undemocratic too.
Religion = superstition
That is what is your poor knowledge tells you.

There is no Theocracy in Islam all these are related to Christianity and Church and you are falsely accusing Islam with them.

That is why I see people being confused and trying to confuse others.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21999 Apr 9, 2014
FS wrote:
01. Whether the war is righteous or not is decided by the nature of motives behind an aggression.It is true that every war fought in the name of patriotism might not be righteous especially if the war is waged for only sake of national pride .But if the war is fought for the security of citizens then such a war is legitimate.And such a war should be supported by the citizens as it concerns with their lives.

02. On the other hand,war fought in the name of religion is often for the religious pride than for anything else.

03. Tell me what do you have common with Palestinians other than the fact that you're a Muslim?How does the Palestinian crisis affect your life that you support them?Do you empathize killing of non-Muslims by Muslims as much as you empathize Palestinians?Do you worry about your own country(India) security threat from its belligerent neighbors as much as killing of Palestinians?
Is it not you support Palestinians for your Muslim pride rather than any valid reason?

How about Muslims killing fellow Muslims?How do Sunnis treat Shias in countries where they're majority?
If Muslims can't live peacefully and with their own kind it is no surprise they have bad blood against Hindus (kaffirs).
Ans.

01. Beautiful thoughts of course. Can you anlayze the following wars in our time and tell us which one was justified?

a. WW-1?
b. WW-2?
c. Korean War?
d. Vietnam War?
e. Russia 's invasion of Afghanistan?
f. US ' invasion of Iraq in 2003?

What world did to stop these wars or help poor nations?

02. There are hardly any war fought in the name of religion. Mostly people take the name of religion for the sake of war.

03. What I have to do with Palestininan issue? This is very interesting question, how come when some thing happens to Christians in East Timor and South Sudan, every Western country and Christians in the world get alarmed and demand that actions must be taken.

When Hindus are persecuted anywhere in the world, Indian Govt. gets alarmed. So what if we have a concern for injustice being done to Palestinians?

03. Muslims fighting each other is a sad part but it is reality of our time, It is Muslims' fault and not Islam' which is very much against Muslims getting divided into factions and sects and fight and kill each other.

I do not support any one shedding innocent human blood.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#22000 Apr 9, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what is your poor knowledge tells you.
There is no Theocracy in Islam all these are related to Christianity and Church and you are falsely accusing Islam with them.
That is why I see people being confused and trying to confuse others.
There is no democracy in islam

Mumbai, India

#22001 Apr 9, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Beautiful thoughts of course. Can you anlayze the following wars in our time and tell us which one was justified?
a. WW-1?
b. WW-2?
c. Korean War?
d. Vietnam War?
e. Russia 's invasion of Afghanistan?
f. US ' invasion of Iraq in 2003?
What world did to stop these wars or help poor nations?
02. There are hardly any war fought in the name of religion. Mostly people take the name of religion for the sake of war.
03. What I have to do with Palestininan issue? This is very interesting question, how come when some thing happens to Christians in East Timor and South Sudan, every Western country and Christians in the world get alarmed and demand that actions must be taken.
When Hindus are persecuted anywhere in the world, Indian Govt. gets alarmed. So what if we have a concern for injustice being done to Palestinians?
04. Muslims fighting each other is a sad part but it is reality of our time, It is Muslims' fault and not Islam' which is very much against Muslims getting divided into factions and sects and fight and kill each other.
I do not support any one shedding innocent human blood.
01.All of these wars were unfortunate .These wars might have happened for wrong reasons and yes the US had some selfish motives behind Vietnam War. WW2 broke out of vengeance and greed of dominance over Europe.Soviet Union paid the price for Afghanistan invasion and it disintegrated into fragments.But hadn't US helped your brothers in Afghanistan in late 1980s against soviet forces?They would have never won the war without the military support of US.Again,US had its own agenda behind this proxy war.
I have said it earlier,Offence is righteous only as defence especially when the potentiality of innocents being killed is high in any kind of possible offence.
02.Many wars have been fought in the name of religion.What about Jihad and Crusade?
03.It is not wrong to empathize your innocent Palestinian brothers if they are being killed for wrong reason.But perhaps you should feel the same sense of empathy for every other community that are being maimed by your Brothers without making any "if -but" excuses and unconditionally.
Ihave never heard of a Muslim who died for the reasonably good cause for a Non-Muslim against fellow Muslims.Do such believing Muslims exist?
The same is true for every other religion.People whine when their own religious men are maimed by others but they do not empathize the victims of the actions of their fellow community men.Hence I say religion is divisive.
04.A person is not a Muslim in the eyes of the other Muslim unless the beholder holds quintessentially the same kind of beliefs as the erstwhile.Otherwise,why would Ahmadis/Shias treated are called "kaffirs" by their own Sunni brothers? Didn't your beloved prophet say that only 1 out of 73 sects would get places in heaven and relegate them to the status of us kaffirs?
It only shows how intolerant your faith that even in the light of slight belief differences Muslims cause bloodshed.

Charlie's

#22002 Apr 9, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
66. Prophet PBUH said “The similitude of a person who sides with his people, when they are doing wrong is like some one who is trying to save a camel who fell into a well, by pulling it by its tail (i.e. it would not gain him anything)
That's so enlightening, you can't guess how important the camels are in the western metropolis culture

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr replaytime 711
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr SoE 76,871
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 7 hr The FACTory 4,299
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 hr Aerobatty 258,475
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 16 hr Ben Avraham 11
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
More from around the web