Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21959 Apr 1, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
The biggest terrorist country of our time is USA, which has more blood of innocent people on its hand than any other nation.
Religion isn't nation, USA doesn't pretend to kill in the name of God

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21960 Apr 1, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
With your biased view, and your color blindness, you only see one side. There is no cure for such people.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I notice that you have no rebuttal - just the claim that I am ignorant and biased. Of course, the atrocities I mentioned are right out of the news, and the lack of any substantial Muslim contribution to the episteme is common knowledge. Let me repeat those claims so that you can either address them or belly up again:

Islam is by far the most primitive of the three Abrahamic religions. It is intellectually and morally stunted.

You still blow one another up, behead one another, stone one another, shoot each other in face, and throw acid at each other in the name of your religion. I don't care what Abraham taught. I care what Islam does. The behavior I described above is just the beginning. You also fly airplanes into building, mutilate your females' genitals, lie as an act of faith (taqiyyah), and do "honor" killings. The West is shocked and disgusted by such behavior.

And its contributions to academic knowledge are next to zero since the Middle Ages. Where are your great philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, and statesmen?

So please tell us more about my ignorance about Islam, the shallowness of my depth of knowledge about it, my color blindness, how I only see one side, and how Islam is the finest and best preserved of all religions in the world.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#21961 Apr 1, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
The basic thing which you should understand is that "Can things create themselves" or "Can they just come into existence by chance or by coincidence"?
Are you referring to your god? It is the least likely thing imaginable to exist uncreated - a single sentient, rational, volitional, potent, omniscient, immortal, moral being. A universe of light, gas and rocks whose pieces blindly orbit one another and occasionally produces the conditions for life to arise is infinitely more likely to exit uncreated than a god.
MUQ1 wrote:
Before the advent of modern science, many people would have been excused for not understanding the complexity in the universe and how things are working.
But after we know the size of the universe and how complex relationships exist between them, it is sheer stupidity to believe that this universe with so much complex relationships, came by itself or just by chance.
The relationships to which you refer are mostly simple orbits - pieces of inert substance eternally circling one another.

Fennario

#21962 Apr 1, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
How ridiculous is your assumption that so many things just created themselves without any design, purpose and plan? And you call us unreasonable!!
Yes, you are unreasonable. You are absurd to insist that something as complex as a god could exist uncreated. Your own argument against the universe existing uncreated is magnitudes of times more potent an argument against something as much more complex than a mindless and mostly empty universe as a god is. Your best argument defeats you.
MUQ1 wrote:
it is a pity that most people instead of appreciating Islamic perception of God, start ridiculing it without any knowledge.
It's not your god concept that we ridicule. It's your religion and culture. They are violent, primitive, authoritarian and impede the human race wherever they have an influence. The Muslim world is blighted. It does best where it borrows from Western culture. The best Muslim countries are the most secular ones, the theocracies like Iran and Saudi Arabia being the worst. And its best cities have been built by Western engineers.
MUQ1 wrote:
There is need of religion because it tells you, why are you here and what shall happen to you when you die. If your science has provided any ANSWER to these questions, please let me know.
We have a much better understanding of the answers to those questions without religions than with them. Religion has no answers, just guesses. That is because faith is not a path to knowledge. How could it be? One can believe absolutely anything faith by or its polar opposite.

And we don't need to know them anyway.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 14

Tejgaon, Bangladesh

#21964 Apr 2, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The biggest terrorist country of our time is USA, which has more blood of innocent people on its hand than any other nation.
I am pretty sure the rule of Mao, and other world dictator in a nation did more damage then the USA... USA is no fine country, I do not like 'em nor hate 'em, but they're much better then yer average Wannabe democratic muslim counry...

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21965 Apr 2, 2014
Elixz wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pretty sure the rule of Mao, and other world dictator in a nation did more damage then the USA... USA is no fine country, I do not like 'em nor hate 'em, but they're much better then yer average Wannabe democratic muslim counry...
Communist countries did a lot of killings, but mostly of their own people.... USA on the other hand went and killed people on other nations and is acting like a bully in every affair.

The ways might not be as direct but the result is more or less same.

US was and could be a truly great country....but most of their good deeds are undone by a very small minority that have taken their people in a tight grip using their media and financial power.

People should really pity the hard working and sincere US citizens, if they become really free from these bonds, they could do much good to the world.

Right now they are despised nation in most of the world, and it is not only envy, be sure.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21966 Apr 3, 2014
wrote:
Ans.
Elixz wrote:
<quoted text>
Communist countries did a lot of killings, but mostly of their own people.... USA on the other hand went and killed people on other nations and is acting like a bully in every affair.

The ways might not be as direct but the result is more or less same.

US was and could be a truly great country....but most of their good deeds are undone by a very small minority that have taken their people in a tight grip using their media and financial power.

People should really pity the hard working and sincere US citizens, if they become really free from these bonds, they could do much good to the world.

Right now they are despised nation in most of the world, and it is not only envy, be sure.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21967 Apr 3, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
...acting like a bully in every affair....
Again, you're thinking of Islamists.
You are wrong

West Springfield, MA

#21968 Apr 3, 2014
That is all total and complete bullshit sex power money everything of the sort is the very creed of humanity if you god was so smart why didn't he get rid of all that
MUQ1

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21969 Apr 5, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion isn't nation, USA doesn't pretend to kill in the name of God
So it is OK to kill in the name of your nation, it is OK to kill in the name of Democracy, it is OK to kill in the name of trade.... why then it should be not OK to kill in the name of religion?

Why it should be taboo when all other types are killing are allowed?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21970 Apr 5, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
So it is OK to kill in the name of your nation, it is OK to kill in the name of Democracy, it is OK to kill in the name of trade.... why then it should be not OK to kill in the name of religion?
Because killing in the name of the Very Misericordious is more an obscenity
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21971 Apr 5, 2014
Islam certainly doesn't help people live within UK laws....
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terroris...
They can't all be there because if 'institutional racism'. Fundamentalist Islam in the UK is like a disaffected cult. Many "Muslims" (or Islamists if you prefer) seem motivated by superstition, ignorance and prejudice against "The West". They reject democratic values and therefore sometimes feel that the law needn't be respected, much less supported.

There must be one law for all, regardless of religion or lack of any.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#21972 Apr 5, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are extremely close minded and not open to alternate theories. I am sure there is no creator because it makes zero sense. Science explains how the Universe is present and functioning. All we don't know is what happened before what we see today. And I am ok with not knowing.
Religion is NOT an answer. It's void filling. It is not the final say. It has zero evidence for any of it's standings. People you can't say "I don't know" use religion as a crutch.
MUQ supports the abuse, rape and murder of little girls.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#21973 Apr 5, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want to kill because of something made up.
In that case I can kill you in the name of the IPU.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#21974 Apr 5, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
With your biased view, and your color blindness, you only see one side. There is no cure for such people.
That's right there is no cure or you.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21975 Apr 5, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Because killing in the name of the Very Misericordious is more an obscenity
Killing on other ground is in fact an "Honor"? Why are you Bigot?

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#21976 Apr 6, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing on other ground is in fact an "Honor"? Why are you Bigot?
Nations exist and democracies exist.If you fight for them,you'll be fighting for something legitimate and authentic.
On the other hand,fighting for an imaginary/unproved being like your God is simply waste of time and blood.
PS:Any kind of war is unacceptable,
Spider

Ely, UK

#21977 Apr 6, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Nations exist and democracies exist.If you fight for them,you'll be fighting for something legitimate and authentic.
On the other hand,fighting for an imaginary/unproved being like your God is simply waste of time and blood.
PS:Any kind of war is unacceptable,
Opposition to oppression or dictatorship along with other forms of undemocratic control, surely that is a good thing ? If the opposition leads to war, as tragic as war may be, is it not better to remain as free as possible ?

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#21978 Apr 6, 2014
Spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Opposition to oppression or dictatorship along with other forms of undemocratic control, surely that is a good thing ? If the opposition leads to war, as tragic as war may be, is it not better to remain as free as possible ?
I see your point.But sometimes peaceful protests can work.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21979 Apr 6, 2014

For religionists: One implication of what Mr Hitchens said is that god(s) are made-up. To help you further...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Yes I am an atheist by Jonny Eve...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

Religion =(not very super) stition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 9 min Dogen 1,418
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 min u196533dm 32,462
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 1 hr Baffled 1,176
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 6 hr Ben Avraham 100
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
More from around the web