Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23869 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21938 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Mostly agree. The "connectedness" to the world and to others is a key concept. You and I likely disagree on how to analyze and interpret that concept. I don't think it's a physical brain function entirely. You probably do. I have more work to do on you.
It's good to get your nod, Buck.

And yes, I am a work in progress. Anybody willing and able of making a contribution is welcome to submit a proposal.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#21939 Mar 26, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Since Atheism is based on negation, it cannot have any positive answer for any thing.
Atheists just speak from their assumptions and there is nothing concrete in their arguments.
Every Athiests might differ with each other on every issue, except on negation, that "there is no God and there is no religion".
We do not "turn to religion" to get the answer, this is from the day when first human set foot on the earth.
His role and his purpose of life was decided by his Creator.
Why can't you 'argue' your point without creating your own definition of terms to 'argue' against? Oh... wait... religion is based on dishonesty so arguments for religion necessitate dishonesty... so.... never mind.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#21940 Mar 26, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Since Atheism is based on negation, it cannot have any positive answer for any thing.
Atheists just speak from their assumptions and there is nothing concrete in their arguments.
Every Athiests might differ with each other on every issue, except on negation, that "there is no God and there is no religion".
We do not "turn to religion" to get the answer, this is from the day when first human set foot on the earth.
This is such a fallacy. You do turn to religion for answers, otherwise why have it? You use it as a moral compass and to explain things you can't understand. That is what religion is for, to fill a void.

Atheism isn't based on anything. The term itself means no deity. That's it, nothing more. The group of people is a whole other matter. It would be like me saying every christian is a Phelps.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21941 Mar 26, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
44. Prophet PBUH said “If some one wants that people should remain standing in his presence, then he should choose his place in the hell fire”
MUQ1 wrote:
01. Nothing is hidden from Allah in the whole Universe. So you should stop eating and drinking and sleeping… What an Idiot!!
Presence of Allah is supposed to be continuous, therfore the idiot is the one who says that people should remain standing in his presence.
MUQ1 wrote:
Atheists only "claim" that death is the end of matters, they have no proofs and they can never get any proofs.
You never can prove that there is any kind of post-death life
MUQ1 wrote:
To call one's parents as our creator and defining what is purpose of our lives is ridiculous and only brainless people like Atheists would say such non sense.
Brainless Allah believer, without your parents having sex, you would simply don't exist,

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#21942 Mar 26, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Our assumptions are based on the evidence around us.
Your assumptions are based on the ramblings of an alleged prophet.
MUQ1 wrote:
We don't claim there's no god, we claim there's no evidence for a god.

There are of course plenty of religions.
MUQ1 wrote:
That's an unsupported assumption.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21944 Mar 29, 2014
Vow, so many responses to my single post!!

I cannot answer all, so I will post no reply to those "line by line responses" of Don and Igor.

Wait for my response
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21945 Mar 30, 2014
EE wrote:
01. This is such a fallacy. You do turn to religion for answers, otherwise why have it? You use it as a moral compass and to explain things you can't understand. That is what religion is for, to fill a void.

02. Atheism isn't based on anything. The term itself means no deity. That's it, nothing more. The group of people is a whole other matter. It would be like me saying every christian is a Phelps.
Ans.

01. Religions ONLY provide us with answers. Science leaves us hanging around!!

It is the absence of religion which gives you the void, because if you do not have answers, you will either have a void, or fill the space with wrong answers.

02. Atheism is not based on any thing, it is just an ASSUMPTION that there is no deity.

How are they SURE that there is no Creator for this Universe?

How come this Universe is present and functioning without any Creator?
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21946 Mar 30, 2014
Terry wrote:
Why can't you 'argue' your point without creating your own definition of terms to 'argue' against? Oh... wait... religion is based on dishonesty so arguments for religion necessitate dishonesty... so.... never mind.
Ans.

01. Religion is not based on dishonesty, though there might be dishonest people, as is the case with every thing.

There are dishonest scientists and there are dishonest doctors.

So what are you driving at, I fail to understand.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21947 Mar 30, 2014
Elicz wrote:
01. Atheism no faith system like religion, atheism simply the lack of supernatural things. But atheist follows he simple morals and way of life a normal human being should be following. We follow no holy book, we follow science!

02. Reason and logic Depends on what time and region of the world says what is it's standard.

03. Listen, religion is stuck in a Battle of time, it is simply out-dated in this time period(though mormonism is a valid option, they seem to change all the time).

04. You know this Allah you keep calling... if u say Halla it means hello.... you know it now...

05. For many year when I was a Child I've pundered upen if people were trolling when they meant all these Things about their religious affairs in their daily life.

06. Because I was the type of Child which just thought maybe they had a fantasy friend of some sort, or it was their type of Santa Claus and they

07. I do not want to be too rude, but I just do not understand how People can believe in that, even if Your parents try it. I might need a ex-christain, ex-muslim or ex-jew to explain me why it's like this for some People...
Ans.

01. If you follow science, as you say then there are many things which are out of purview of science. Bceause science ONLY deals with material things.

Can Sceince judge which song is better of the two? Cans Science judge which of the two flowrs is better?

02. Reason and Logic is the thing which satisfies the queries of a normal human brain.

03. I do not comment on some religions which have become outdatd. Islam is never outdated and it has laid out principles that do not change with time.

04. You are ridiculus if you say that Allah is like Hello, you do not make fun of these matters.

05. It seems you are still are in your childhood, because your comments are very childish.

You have not spent your time wisely and lack the basic knowledge on how to answer these questions.

You should start with the basic question and that is "How this working Universe came out without any plan, design or purpose"?

Check what answers science provides you and then check what answers other religion give you and what answer Islam gives you.

Use that as a basic starting block, if you are honest and sincere in your approach, you can still find the truth.

Fennario

#21948 Mar 30, 2014
MUQ wrote:
It is the absence of religion which gives you the void, because if you do not have answers, you will either have a void, or fill the space with wrong answers.
The religious period in human history will be remembered as the phase that connected the time when man was first able to wonder about where the universe came from, how it works, and what was his place is in it, with the time when he found satisfactory answers.
MUQ wrote:
Religion is not based on dishonesty
Organized religion is organized dishonest
MUQ wrote:
Bceause science ONLY deals with material things.
Science deals with natural things, which, by definition, is all that there is. If a god existed and was causally connected to our reality, it would be natural.and it could be studied.
MUQ wrote:
Can Sceince judge which song is better of the two? Cans Science judge which of the two flowrs is better?
Science is not a person and doesn't have favorite songs. But it can be used to determine which song people prefer.
MUQ wrote:
Islam is never outdated and it has laid out principles that do not change with time.
Islam is by far the most primitive of the three Abrahamic religions. It is intellectually and morally stunted. You still blow one another up, behead one another, stone one another, shoot each other in face, and throw acid at each other in the name of your religion.

And its contributions to academic knowledge are next to zero since the Middle Ages.

JUBAIL, KSA

#21949 Mar 31, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Islam is by far the most primitive of the three Abrahamic religions. It is intellectually and morally stunted. You still blow one another up, behead one another, stone one another, shoot each other in face, and throw acid at each other in the name of your religion.
And its contributions to academic knowledge are next to zero since the Middle Ages.
That only shows your ignorance about Islam and what Abraham taught.

It is not difficult to detect shallowness of your depth of knowledge about Islam.
\
Islam is the finest and best preserved of all religions in the world.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21950 Mar 31, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Islam is the finest and best preserved of all religions in the world.
Islam produces very efficient terrorist groups killing in the name of Allah

JUBAIL, KSA

#21951 Mar 31, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam produces very efficient terrorist groups killing in the name of Allah
The biggest terrorist country of our time is USA, which has more blood of innocent people on its hand than any other nation.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#21952 Mar 31, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Religions ONLY provide us with answers. Science leaves us hanging around!!
02. Atheism is not based on any thing, it is just an ASSUMPTION that there is no deity.
How are they SURE that there is no Creator for this Universe?
How come this Universe is present and functioning without any Creator?
You are extremely close minded and not open to alternate theories. I am sure there is no creator because it makes zero sense. Science explains how the Universe is present and functioning. All we don't know is what happened before what we see today. And I am ok with not knowing.

Religion is NOT an answer. It's void filling. It is not the final say. It has zero evidence for any of it's standings. People you can't say "I don't know" use religion as a crutch.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21953 Mar 31, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The biggest terrorist country of our time is USA, which has more blood of innocent people on its hand than any other nation.
Nonsense. Ignorance (including Islamism) is the cause of much of the violence in this modern world.

As Qaradawi so rightly says, if Islam didn't terrorise and execute non-believers, it would have faded to virtual oblivion by now....

The USA and UK oppose terrorism. These governments do much to support freedom, self-determination, democracy, education, science, inclusivity, freedom of and from religion, separation of Church and State, a free press & media, free access to the Internet and perhaps most of all freedom of speech and expression. That is what frightens religionists like Muq so much. There is an inherent conflict between theocracy and those ideals.

Religion = superstition
It's divisive and outdated

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#21954 Mar 31, 2014
<quoted text>
The religious period in human history will be remembered as the phase that connected the time when man was first able to wonder about where the universe came from, how it works, and what was his place is in it, with the time when he found satisfactory answers.
<quoted text>
Organized religion is organized dishonest
<quoted text>
Science deals with natural things, which, by definition, is all that there is. If a god existed and was causally connected to our reality, it would be natural.and it could be studied.
<quoted text>
Science is not a person and doesn't have favorite songs. But it can be used to determine which song people prefer.
<quoted text>
More proof of God's divine power and mercy
California man washed out to sea during baptism
A California man remains missing a day after he was swept out to sea during an ocean baptism.

Benito Flores, 43, was among several people helping his cousin, Pastor Maurigro Cervantes, baptise a man near the Guadalupe Dunes Preserve north of Santa Barbara.

Two others were swept out by a huge wave but were able to swim to shore.

The US Coast Guard says the search for Mr Flores was called off at midnight on Sunday.

The baptism was just finishing up at 10:00 local time (17:00 GMT) on Sunday when the church members were hit by the wave.

"A big wave came and took Benito," Mr Cervantes told local broadcaster KEYT. "I tried to take him out, he was heavy and then another big wave came."

The US Coast Guard and as well as local rescue officials were involved in the search but there are no plans to resume it.

Santa Barbara Fire Captain David Sadecki said it would be difficult for anyone to survive more than 30 minutes in the cold water.

Mr Cervantes, who leads the Jesus Christ Light of the Sky church in Santa Maria, said his church performed such ceremonies two or three times a year, according to the Santa Maria Times.
God so loves his people that he is willing to sacrifice them to prove it.

Fennario

#21955 Mar 31, 2014
Islam is by far the most primitive of the three Abrahamic religions. It is intellectually and morally stunted. You still blow one another up, behead one another, stone one another, shoot each other in the face, and throw acid at each other in the name of your religion. And its contributions to academic knowledge are next to zero since the Middle Ages.
MUQ1 wrote:
That only shows your ignorance about Islam and what Abraham taught. It is not difficult to detect shallowness of your depth of knowledge about Islam. Islam is the finest and best preserved of all religions in the world.
I don't care what Abraham taught. I care what Islam does. The behavior I described above is just the beginning. You also fly airplanes into building, mutilate your females' genitals, lie as an act of faith (taqiyyah), and do "honor" killings. The West is shocked and disgusted by such behavior.

Where are your great philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, and statesmen?

JUBAIL, KSA

#21956 Mar 31, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I don't care what Abraham taught. I care what Islam does. The behavior I described above is just the beginning. You also fly airplanes into building, mutilate your females' genitals, lie as an act of faith (taqiyyah), and do "honor" killings. The West is shocked and disgusted by such behavior.
Where are your great philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, and statesmen?
With your biased view, and your color blindness, you only see one side. There is no cure for such people.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

JUBAIL, KSA

#21957 Apr 1, 2014
EE wrote:
01. You are extremely close minded and not open to alternate theories. I am sure there is no creator because it makes zero sense. Science explains how the Universe is present and functioning.

02. All we don't know is what happened before what we see today. And I am ok with not knowing.

03. Religion is NOT an answer. It's void filling. It is not the final say. It has zero evidence for any of it's standings. People you can't say "I don't know" use religion as a crutch.
Ans.

01. You are accusing me of being close minded, while in reality it is you who are close minded.

I am open to any alternate theories, provided they make sense. But I can see there is no sense in any of these.

Sceince does not explain "WHY" this universe is present, and it cannot, because it is not the scope of science at all!!

The basic thing which you should understand is that "Can things create themselves" or "Can they ject come into existence by chance or by coincidence"?

Before the advent of modern science, many people would have been excused for not understanding the complexity in the universe and how things are working.

But after we know the size of the universe and how complex relationships exist between them, it is sheer stupidity to believe that this universe with so much complex relationships, came by itself or just by chance.

02. When you see a painting or a car or even a needle, do you need any one to come and explain to you that "some one made it"?

How ridiculous is your assumption that so many things just created themselves without any design, purpose and plan?

And you call us unreasonable!!

03. Model of Creator:

Basic problem lies here, most religuions of the world have a faulty concept of God and they made Him into some sort of Super Human with a Human like Body and way of doing things.

This model is at the back of all people who deny His existence.

In Islam we do not have any such shortcomings, our concept of God is free from all such defects and that is why we see no problem with advent of science. In fact we welcome it!!

But it is a pity that most people instead of appreciating Islamic perception of God, start ridiculing it without any knowledge.

04. There is need of religion because it tells you, why are you here and what shall happen to you when you die.

If your science has provided any ANSWER to these questions, please let me know.

You are only having guess work and assumptions, while we have information and no guess work.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

JUBAIL, KSA

#21958 Apr 1, 2014
Ed Sed wrote:
More proof of God's divine power and mercy
California man washed out to sea during baptism
A California man remains missing a day after he was swept out to sea during an ocean baptism.

"A big wave came and took Benito," Mr Cervantes told local broadcaster KEYT. "I tried to take him out, he was heavy and then another big wave came."

The US Coast Guard and as well as local rescue officials were involved in the search but there are no plans to resume it.

God so loves his people that he is willing to sacrifice them to prove it.
Ans.

I do not know that God ordered any one to use open sea for Baptism.

It is act of some foolish priest of Church and he should take the blame and not God.

God did not ask us to do stupid things.

In Quran Allah says us "not to put yourself into death's path". "Do not kill yourselves" etc.

Your quoted example is not a relevant one.!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min ChristineM 34,832
News The Atheist Delusion': Ray Comfort's Masterpiece 17 min Mikko 74
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 hr Reason Personified 28
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Cujo 272
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr scientia potentia... 14,917
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr thetruth 20,056
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 2 hr Reason Personified 140
More from around the web