Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#21877 Mar 20, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality is that a large majority of the Christians see no conflict bitwin their religious conviction and Darwinism.
The only conclusion is that trandiode and the MUQsis are fanatic fundamentalists
Unfortunately, Trandiode and Muq are right in that it is impossible to reconcile the theory of Evolution and the bullshyt of creation.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21878 Mar 20, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You do not know anything about the origins of the story of Noah ! It well precedes the date that it was written about in the Torah ! So your timing is off and not only that, the part of the Torah you are referring to was Gods description to the Jewish people about their history and their history only ! It was done for the Jewish people to help them understand about there own history of events ! Not the whole of mankind's at that moment in time ! Understand that and it may open your eyes a bit ! That is why the same story can be found in so many other places , it happened all over the earth and was not limited to just Noah and his single Ark !
So your god didn't kill the entire population of the earth like he told noah he did, he just killed all the jews?

I guess that explains why he let his son die,he hated jews.
Spider

Harpenden, UK

#21879 Mar 20, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, Trandiode and Muq are right in that it is impossible to reconcile the theory of Evolution and the bullshyt of creation.
Sorry EJ but you sound like a fence sitter. Scientists work to evade the next global extinction,,, ie:- Meteor strike, or we all pray. 24 hour clock, we are under 5 mins.
Do you pray,,, or do you support and research scientific evidence as it is gradually revealed to be true in the face of religious brain washing and bigotory.
Know where my bet goes.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#21880 Mar 20, 2014
Spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry EJ but you sound like a fence sitter. Scientists work to evade the next global extinction,,, ie:- Meteor strike, or we all pray. 24 hour clock, we are under 5 mins.
Do you pray,,, or do you support and research scientific evidence as it is gradually revealed to be true in the face of religious brain washing and bigotory.
Know where my bet goes.
I don't pray, I am an atheist, and I support the science community.
Spider

Harpenden, UK

#21881 Mar 20, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't pray, I am an atheist, and I support the science community.
Then perhaps you will explain your support for Muq and Trani's views,,,, given that they have nothing approaching substantiated evidence to support their position.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#21882 Mar 20, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there, old friend.
Hi Darlin, how is everything out there in the real world?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#21883 Mar 20, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You do not know anything about the origins of the story of Noah ! It well precedes the date that it was written about in the Torah ! So your timing is off and not only that, the part of the Torah you are referring to was Gods description to the Jewish people about their history and their history only ! It was done for the Jewish people to help them understand about there own history of events ! Not the whole of mankind's at that moment in time ! Understand that and it may open your eyes a bit ! That is why the same story can be found in so many other places , it happened all over the earth and was not limited to just Noah and his single Ark !
Really? Someone should tell Chinese and the Egyptians(among others) that they were wiped out in the great flood, and that they should adjust their histories to reflect that truth. Seriously they just kept on keeping records in spite of the fact that they were drowned by a vengeful Jewish/Arab god. Most dead people do quit recording their day to day events, but I guess these just need to be clued in.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21884 Mar 21, 2014
Elixz wrote:
MUQ, have you googled Evolution? I think you're still confused...
Evolution could be true or false is another issue, this "Blind Theory of Evolution"...where there is no plan, no design, no purpose,.....that is sheer nonsense and totally unreasonable and illogical.

When even a needle cannot come out by itself without design and plan, how could this entire life forms.

I am not against evolution as such (if there is proper evidence)....but against this BTOE.

And I do not have to Google it!!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21885 Mar 21, 2014
Muq & Trani posts simply illustrate that some people cannot understand the world without assuming and interventionist god(s) that is focused on humans. Muq even still believes in a specifically Abrahamic god! And he still hasn't unreservedly condemned the shooting of Malala Yousafzai (she was 14).

Religious faith facilitates believing whatever one wishes to believe. The simple fact is that there's no such things as gods and fairies.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

http://paulbraterman.wordpress.com/2014/02/22...

Muq cannot understand the world without assuming some form of anthro
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21886 Mar 21, 2014
Essentially, I agree but
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
..., why the hell are there spaces between the end of the statement and the exclamation point? Are you an ape?!
lol! Is that what apes do?:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21888 Mar 21, 2014
EdSed wrote:
Muq & Trani posts simply illustrate that some people cannot understand the world without assuming and interventionist god(s) that is focused on humans.
They show us one of the ways that religion males the world worse. Religion promotes ignorance, especially scientific illiteracy. The potential damage of that is magnified orders of magnitude by the global climate change crisis, and the dangerous fraction of people that don't know the requisite science to understand the arguments, and who have been trained by their religions to distrust science and scientists.

Why should MUQ Google when he has Allah?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21889 Mar 21, 2014
Spider wrote:
Megalomaniacs can exist both sides of the fence,,, just my thought.
Pharaohs had pyramids for their own eternal life, Chinese emperor Qin hat his clay army for eternal life.
None seems more megalomaniac than peoples pretending being in touch with God

Charlie's

#21890 Mar 21, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
It's possible at the condition that Universe and God are the same thing.

Charlie's

#21891 Mar 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You do not know anything about the origins of the story of Noah ! It well precedes the date that it was written about in the Torah !
So your timing is off and not only that, the part of the Torah you are referring to was Gods description to the Jewish people about their history and their history only ! It was done for the Jewish people to help them understand about there own history of events ! Not the whole of mankind's at that moment in time ! Understand that and it may open your eyes a bit ! That is why the same story can be found in so many other places , it happened all over the earth and was not limited to just Noah and his single Ark !
No flooding highers than mountains can take place all over the Earth
Only fanatics support that idea

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#21892 Mar 21, 2014
Clint wrote:
<quoted text>
Capitalism is the only hope humanity has to survive and flourish.
If properly tempered.

And until someone comes up with a better idea.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21893 Mar 21, 2014
Strel wrote:
<quoted text>
If properly tempered.
And until someone comes up with a better idea.
Well said.

Principles of secular democracy are at least as vital as well-regulated capitalism. Freedom of speech, independent media, separation of Church and State, freedom of & from religion, gender and racial equality and protections for minority rights.

Charlie's

#21894 Mar 22, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You do not know anything about the origins of the story of Noah !
Neither you, you weren't there to see
trandiode wrote:
It well precedes the date that it was written about in the Torah ! So your timing is off and not only that, the part of the Torah you are referring to was Gods description to the Jewish people about their history and their history only ! It was done for the Jewish people to help them understand about there own history of events ! Not the whole of mankind's at that moment in time ! Understand that and it may open your eyes a bit !
The Hebrews picked up stories all around them to invent their own history.
Not only Deluge, they even stole the discovery of baby Mose into the Sargon of Akkad legend:
"My changeling mother conceived me, in secret she bore me.
She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed My lid.
She cast me into the river which rose not (over) me,
The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water."
trandiode wrote:
That is why the same story can be found in so many other places , it happened all over the earth and was not limited to just Noah and his single Ark !
Best theory about Deluge is the flood of what was to become the Black Sea after the melting of continental ice caps rising oceanic level over the Strait of Gibraltar

Since: Feb 14

Tejgaon, Bangladesh

#21895 Mar 22, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution could be true or false is another issue, this "Blind Theory of Evolution"...where there is no plan, no design, no purpose,.....that is sheer nonsense and totally unreasonable and illogical.
When even a needle cannot come out by itself without design and plan, how could this entire life forms.
I am not against evolution as such (if there is proper evidence)....but against this BTOE.
And I do not have to Google it!!
You know what? I knew about evolution when i was around 6 years old, well i knew the basics at least...

My parents a ultra religious muslims, they thought me all about islam, if u just knew the magnitude...
But at the same time as they tried to brainwash wasn't it right With what i was thought in School...

I live now in a 3rd world muslim U-country in asia. I go to a School where they teach about even evolution, the teacher is a atheist, but the kids all fail in his classes(I still pass), but when the replacement comes it goes much smoother for the others.

You see if we are to Progress to the future, we need to have knowledge about the real world.
We need the People who doesn't know what is going on.

In my Class most of the kids didn't know there were 8 planets in Our solar system. They didn't know the names either. They had no idea what type of planet Jupiter was.

It makes me feel like I am stupid for even trying. It is possible to tell them they're not correct, but it's not likely they'll be convinced.

P.S Sorry about my English, I come from Norway and i got bad grades in my English.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#21896 Mar 22, 2014
Elixz wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what? I knew about evolution when i was around 6 years old, well i knew the basics at least...
My parents a ultra religious muslims, they thought me all about islam, if u just knew the magnitude...
But at the same time as they tried to brainwash wasn't it right With what i was thought in School...
I live now in a 3rd world muslim U-country in asia. I go to a School where they teach about even evolution, the teacher is a atheist, but the kids all fail in his classes(I still pass), but when the replacement comes it goes much smoother for the others.
You see if we are to Progress to the future, we need to have knowledge about the real world.
In my Class most of the kids didn't know there were 8 planets in Our solar system. They didn't know the names either. They had no idea what type of planet Jupiter was.
It makes me feel like I am stupid for even trying. It is possible to tell them they're not correct, but it's not likely they'll be convinced.
P.S Sorry about my English, I come from Norway and i got bad grades in my English.
Don't worry to much about minor errors in English. Good writing has less to do with grammar, spelling, and even punctuation than with how ideas are conceived, organized, and presented. You do quite well in that regard.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#21897 Mar 22, 2014
Elixz wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure you've got A+ in your Science class as you believe in Evolution the truth...:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 8 min lightbeamrider 1,753
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Hedonist Heretic 57,831
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr nanoanomaly 27,240
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 128
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 5,954
god belief down to 28% in UK 8 hr Eagle 12 123
carbon 14 dating very inaccurate (Jun '12) 8 hr Eagle 12 72
More from around the web