Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24064 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21834 Mar 16, 2014
trandiode wrote:
How clever Atheists are in their own minds ! It seems they have rewritten Darwin's theories to a point where Darwin himself would not even recognize them ! Whatever Atheists do they will not let the truth get in the way of a good story :)
While as thanks Goddidit, the trandiodes and other MUQs a have best knowledge than any
and answers to all questionings.
So that trandiodes don't have to even seek anything to have found out everything

except for finding persuasive argumentation

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#21835 Mar 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin would feel right at home with modern evolutionary theory once he got up to speed on genetics and molecular biology. And that work was done by scientists, not atheists. Atheists don't do anything as atheists. We act as humanists, parents, citizens, coworkers, scientists, movie or sports lovers, philosophers, etc..- but never as atheists. Our job is done there as soon as we have decided not to accept the claims of faith based thinkers.
And it is you, not atheists, who rewrote Darwin's theory. You wrote, "Darwin had two separate types of Evolution in mind when he wrote his book first the General Theory on Evolution then His special theory of Evolution !" Sorry, but either you or somebody you trusted simply made that up.
<quoted text>
There is no truth in faith. It is not a path to knowledge.
"If faith is ever right about anything, it’s just right by accident ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.”- Sam Harris
Your presuppositionalist biases pervert your natural faculty for understanding the world. My dogs don't have intellectual ability, but because they are not burdened with irrational faith based ideas asking them to disbelieve the evidence of their sensed and natural intelligence, in many ways they have a more accurate understanding of their world than you do. They don't pray for help, for example. They come to me to open a door or feed them.
Now, after over 120 years of the most extensive and painstaking geological exploration of every continent and ocean bottom, the picture is infinitely more vivid and complete than it was in 1859. Formations have been discovered containing hundreds of billions of fossils and our museums are filled with over 100 million fossils of 250,000 different species.The availability of this profusion of hard scientific data should permit objective investigators to determine if Darwin was on the right track. What is the picture which the fossils have given us?… The gaps between major groups of organisms have been growing even wider and more undeniable. They can no longer be ignored or rationalized away with appeals to imperfection of the fossil record. In other words there is no proof whatsoever in theory of Evolution or should we wait for another hundred years or more just to make sure ?
:)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21836 Mar 16, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Now, after over 120 years of the most extensive and painstaking geological exploration of every continent and ocean bottom, the picture is infinitely more vivid and complete than it was in 1859. Formations have been discovered containing hundreds of billions of fossils and our museums are filled with over 100 million fossils of 250,000 different species.The availability of this profusion of hard scientific data should permit objective investigators to determine if Darwin was on the right track. What is the picture which the fossils have given us?… The gaps between major groups of organisms have been growing even wider and more undeniable.
How could the gaps between groups of organisms grow larger? If nothing new were ever discovered, the gaps would remain unchanged.
trandiode wrote:
They can no longer be ignored or rationalized away with appeals to imperfection of the fossil record. In other words there is no proof whatsoever in theory of Evolution or should we wait for another hundred years or more just to make sure ?
Actually, the matter is considered settled, and mainstream evolutionary science has moved on from "if" to "how." You're as out of step as the people that are still insisting that the earth is flat, and you are received in the same way. We might give such a person a few explanatory words, but when after a time it becomes apparent that they are stubbornly clinging to a belief for emotional reasons, we move on.

Likewise with you. It's been explained to you, and you respond as if you're in a stupor. You referred to a General and Special Theory of Evolution from Darwin. I pointed out to you that Darwin had no such theory. You did it again. I pointed it out again. You still haven't responded to that. Is it because you are too intellectually indolent to realize what was said, or lacking sufficient intellectual integrity to care about being right or acknowledging your error? Who know. Nor does it matter.

I also listed for you multiple types of confirmatory evidence apart from fossil evidence such as comparative anatomy, embryology, vestigial organs, biogeographical considerations and more. You remain stuporous - oblivious to new information - and repeat your fossil argument. as if it never happened.

"Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says,“Well, that’s not how I choose to think about water"? All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn’t share those values, the conversation is over." - Sam Harris

This is how faith based thinking has damaged you. You are condemned to ignorance not because you were born with a defective brain or because you have not been exposed to information, but because you have been infected with an intellectually debilitating meme: faith. You have no hope of recovery, because it has changed your will. You labor in its defense.

I'm really very sorry that others did this to you, and I believe that it is important that we protect others from suffering the same fate. You're like the child in Slumlord Millionaire that was deliberately blinded for the benefit of somebody that didn't care about him, and that profited from his blindness (blind beggars do better). You now serve the interests of the people that did this to you.

People with a social conscience understand that this should stop. I don't know how to reconcile that with a respect fro freedom and an understanding of the problems associated with religious intolerance enforced by law and government. I think the best compromise would be to forbid exposing children to religion before age 18. Young minds are not able to evaluate religious claims critically, which, of course, is the reason the church wants to put its antiscientific teaching and prayer into public schools. Like cigarettes, religious instruction is something that we should consider undesirable, but not something that we would forbid free people.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21837 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Darwin would feel right at home with modern evolutionary theory once he got up to speed on genetics and molecular biology. And that work was done by scientists, not atheists. Atheists don't do anything as atheists. We act as humanists, parents, citizens, coworkers, scientists, movie or sports lovers, philosophers, etc..- but never as atheists. Our job is done there as soon as we have decided not to accept the claims of faith based thinkers.
And it is you, not atheists, who rewrote Darwin's theory. You wrote, "Darwin had two separate types of Evolution in mind when he wrote his book first the General Theory on Evolution then His special theory of Evolution !" Sorry, but either you or somebody you trusted simply made that up.
<quoted text>
There is no truth in faith. It is not a path to knowledge.
"If faith is ever right about anything, it’s just right by accident ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.”- Sam Harris
Your presuppositionalist biases pervert your natural faculty for understanding the world. My dogs don't have intellectual ability, but because they are not burdened with irrational faith based ideas asking them to disbelieve the evidence of their sensed and natural intelligence, in many ways they have a more accurate understanding of their world than you do. They don't pray for help, for example. They come to me to open a door or feed them.
Brilliant rebuttal.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21838 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Godidit is not only not an answer to anything. It has zero explanatory power, zero predictive power, can neither be confirmed nor falsified, and is counterproductive to knowledge by virtue of stifling inquiry.
Faith is sterile. It has never yielded a single idea that improved the human condition, but it has caused people to hate, fight, and waste vast quantities of precious resources. Religion is a ruse created by priests to avoid productive employment.
"The profession of shaman has many advantages. It offers high status with a safe livelihood free of work in the dreary, sweaty sense. In most societies it offers legal privileges and immunities not granted to other men. But it is hard to see how a man who has been given a mandate from on High to spread tidings of joy to all mankind can be seriously interested in taking up a collection to pay his salary; it causes one to suspect that the shaman is on the moral level of any other con man. But it is a lovely work if you can stomach it." - Robert Heinlein
Heinlein nailed that, didn't he?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21839 Mar 16, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
A perfect creator's creation cannot be unperfect, this is your 02 proposition "Creator never fails"
You are contradicting yourself with your 03 proposition "No creation is "perfect"" all living beings are God's creation
Contradictive sentences,
<quoted text>
And as usual, GOD's purposes are not to be understood by such liliputian imbecile human beings.
Do you intend keeping moking people long again with contradictive and ignorance arguments ?
<quoted text>
So that pathogenic bacterias and virus were designed at sicking and killing men,
so tthat when wild beasts kill men, we have to accept il, cry for the victims, and thanks for GODdidit creating men killer predators and say Allah Akbar
<quoted text>
Theory of Evolution allows dead end branches while GODdidit theories makes dead end branches of evolution as failures of GODdidit
<quoted text>
I admit that eradication of the dinos was a brilliant succes
He created a wonderfull life system based upon life and death and predation,
Isn't it such a lovely world watching hyenas tearing apart still alife a gazelle ?
Isn't it such a lovely world when GOD's designed Yersinia pestis kills half a continent population ?
Well done!

I like how you pointed out his immediate self-contradictions.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Charlie's

#21840 Mar 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Well done!
You defend
I attack

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#21841 Mar 16, 2014
Brilliant rebuttal.
Thanks, Bob

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#21843 Mar 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Darwin had no special or general theories of evolution, and the scientific community makes no such distinction. That is just more creationist pollution.
How many times do you need to be told that you faith based thinkers have no say in this matter? You've demonstrated your intellectual dishonesty so often that.absolutely nobody but other faith based thinkers cares what religious zealots like you and your anti-scientific sources have to say about scientific issues. You're objections simply carry no weight.
I for one want to go on record objecting to your religious interference in the area of science. It's irresponsible and damages young people from religious families that will be entering the job market by making them less competitive. And by relentlessly attempting to undermine science and foster distrust in what scientists say, you make us all more vulnerable to the climate change deniers as well. Your religion adds nothing of value to the world, but is certainly a drain on it.
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/your_inquire... [cartoon]
Funny Cartoon

Charlie's

#21845 Mar 18, 2014
Poor theists are unevolving specie and are superseded by more accurate ones.
Darwinian selection is pityless.
Spider

Welwyn Garden City, UK

#21846 Mar 18, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. God did it is much better than your "Blind Eevolution Theory" on every count!!
02. No Creator never fails in any thing He wishes.
03. No creation is "perfect", because it is ONLY the Creator who is perfect. No other things are perfect. But they are better than any thing which any one can create.
It is Creator who decides when any of His creation has served its purpose and they disappear.
04. No, Creator did not dislike any specie. They serve their intended purpose and replaced by some other specie.
Why every living thing should die? Does death means that Creator does not like that person?
05. No there was no experiment with the Creator. The single cell creatures are also existing along with much more complicated forms.
Every one of His creations are doing the job and function for which they were designed.
06. The Blind Theory of evolution, where evolution is taking place without any plan, design or purpose, can only take place in your dreams and never on earth.
God did it is much better that "BTOE" on every count!
03 ?????????? Muq, you are contradicting yourself. If this creator that you believe in is perfect,, then all that this creator does would be perfect. As nothing is perfect, it follows that this creator you believe in would be non perfect. Your opinion is it's own argument against creationism.
Spider

Welwyn Garden City, UK

#21847 Mar 18, 2014
<quoted text>
Thanks, Bob
I echo Bobs comment, you are allso both polite and logical, often rare qualities these days.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21848 Mar 18, 2014
Spider wrote:
<quoted text>
03 ?????????? Muq, you are contradicting yourself. If this creator that you believe in is perfect,, then all that this creator does would be perfect. As nothing is perfect, it follows that this creator you believe in would be non perfect. Your opinion is it's own argument against creationism.
No your logic is wrong, Perfect Creator does not mean that things He created are perfect.

But what He created are the Best that any one else can create or duplicate!!

There is no contradiction in my statement.

But on the other hand can we say that Ford and all those who made those cars in 1900 s were stupid people? If we compare modern day cars with their original models?
Spider

Huntingdon, UK

#21849 Mar 19, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No your logic is wrong, Perfect Creator does not mean that things He created are perfect.
But what He created are the Best that any one else can create or duplicate!!
There is no contradiction in my statement.
But on the other hand can we say that Ford and all those who made those cars in 1900 s were stupid people? If we compare modern day cars with their original models?
There is nothing wrong with my logic Muq. A perfect being would be incapable of being imperfect in all they do,,, if a perfect being were to make a mistake, then it would no longer be perfect.

As for your thoughts on cars old and present,,, the word evolution springs to mind.

Fennario

#21850 Mar 19, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Actually, it does.

Do Muslims accept the story of Noah and the flood? Were it true, that would have had to have been one of the worst intellectual and moral failures in the history of the planet. So much needless suffering in the service of such a hare brained scheme to rid the world of sin by nearly sterilizing the earth with a slow, terrifying death - animals, too - and then repopulating the world using the same stock..

Fennario

#21851 Mar 19, 2014
Spider wrote:
There is nothing wrong with my logic Muq. A perfect being would be incapable of being imperfect in all they do,,, if a perfect being were to make a mistake, then it would no longer be perfect.
Agreed.

The cardinal feature of perfection is that you can't change it and still have perfection. Imagine a perfect circle. Any change in it makes it imperfect. A perfect god not only couldn't act, it couldn't think. Thinking would change its perfect mental state.
trandiode

#21852 Mar 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Actually, it does.
Do Muslims accept the story of Noah and the flood? Were it true, that would have had to have been one of the worst intellectual and moral failures in the history of the planet. So much needless suffering in the service of such a hare brained scheme to rid the world of sin by nearly sterilizing the earth with a slow, terrifying death - animals, too - and then repopulating the world using the same stock..
You have never really read the Bible have you ? Besides it being in the Bible its also an legend in about 500 different ancient societies ! Suddenly the Ark does not have to hold so many different kinds of animals ! 500 beliefs 500 different boats all around the same period in time :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

#21853 Mar 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Actually, it does.
If you would care to read the Bible you would realize what the real reason was behind the great flood ! Typical Atheist gets science wrong and the Bible as well :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

#21854 Mar 19, 2014
<quoted text>
How could the gaps between groups of organisms grow larger? If nothing new were ever discovered, the gaps would remain unchanged.
<quoted text>
Actually, the matter is considered settled, and mainstream evolutionary science has moved on from "if" to "how." You're as out of step as the people that are still insisting that the earth is flat, and you are received in the same way. We might give such a person a few explanatory words, but when after a time it becomes apparent that they are stubbornly clinging to a belief for emotional reasons, we move on.
Likewise with you. It's been explained to you, and you respond as if you're in a stupor. You referred to a General and Special Theory of Evolution from Darwin. I pointed out to you that Darwin had no such theory. You did it again. I pointed it out again. You still haven't responded to that. Is it because you are too intellectually indolent to realize what was said, or lacking sufficient intellectual integrity to care about being right or acknowledging your error? Who know. Nor does it matter.
I also listed for you multiple types of confirmatory evidence apart from fossil evidence such as comparative anatomy, embryology, vestigial organs, biogeographical considerations and more. You remain stuporous - oblivious to new information - and repeat your fossil argument. as if it never happened.
"Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says,“Well, that’s not how I choose to think about water"? All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn’t share those values, the conversation is over." - Sam Harris
This is how faith based thinking has damaged you. You are condemned to ignorance not because you were born with a defective brain or because you have not been exposed to information, but because you have been infected with an intellectually debilitating meme: faith. You have no hope of recovery, because it has changed your will. You labor in its defense.
I'm really very sorry that others did this to you, and I believe that it is important that we protect others from suffering the same fate. You're like the child in Slumlord Millionaire that was deliberately blinded for the benefit of somebody that didn't care about him, and that profited from his blindness (blind beggars do better). You now serve the interests of the people that did this to you.
People with a social conscience understand that this should stop. I don't know how to reconcile that with a respect fro freedom and an understanding of the problems associated with religious intolerance enforced by law and government. I think the best compromise would be to forbid exposing children to religion before age 18. Young minds are not able to evaluate religious claims critically, which, of course, is the reason the church wants to put its antiscientific teaching and prayer into public schools. Like cigarettes, religious instruction is something that we should consider undesirable, but not something that we would forbid free people.
Just because you cannot find Darwins Special theory on the internet does not mean it does not exist ! find yourself a copy of his original book and there you will find it in all its glory :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#21856 Mar 19, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Just because you cannot find Darwins Special theory on the internet does not mean it does not exist ! find yourself a copy of his original book and there you will find it in all its glory :)
I think you're lying again, and I believe that there is nothing that you wouldn't say to promote your religion and its church. I think that you have little awareness - and you church little regard - for the damage you might do. They don't care, and nor will you.

Neither you nor your church cares if your scientific disinformation makes causes a child to disrespect, never learn science, and become less competitive in the world. You don't care if is undermines trust in science and facilitates the climate change naysayers.

Why should either of you? You're an uncritical Christian who does what his selfish church wants him to do without regard for the consequence, and your church is a societal parasite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 12 min Reason Personified 15,811
A Universe from Nothing? 13 min IB DaMann 35
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 40,322
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr IB DaMann 190
News Why I quit atheism 2 hr Eagle 12 387
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 hr _Susan_ 255,927
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 hr woodtick57 20,580
More from around the web