Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21813 Mar 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You do not know what you are talking about ! Darwin had two separate types of Evolution in mind when he wrote his book first the General Theory on Evolution then His "special theory of Evolution ! His special theory had to do with variance in species, such as Finches on the Galapagos islands, he noted the variances in their beaks and plumage and thought to himself that they may have a common finch ancestor that those birds all evolved from because of their beaks and their plumage for their individual needs because of the different environments they were found in ! Like you see many versions of cats dogs, birds, apes etc etc ! That was his Special theory and that made sense ! Where he got it wrong was in his General Theory of evolution, Because he further developed the Idea of one common ancestor to everything, hence he turns Dinosaurs into birds and Apes into man ! He thought that one species could overtime turn into another species, And that has not ever been seen in any fossil record showing considering their are millions of fossils that have been found and slow changes should of shown up in at the very least hundreds of thousands of the fossils so far discovered absolutely none have ! Then with Paleontology the same is noticed ! There is not one single human bone found in a ape ! Not One ! and once again there should have been,something because the changes were subtle they should have at least found a few pointing to a support the idea of a change from one species to another ! But an ape is a totally different species to a Human being even though you may think there are similarities they are not great ! compare an Elephant to a horse, Yes they have a few similarities but to suggest that they are of the same species is absurd ! Furthermore if we go back in time and try to suggest everything came from the same single cell life-form, then why the many and varied diversity in nature we have now ? There was no real need for it ! was there ? Unless you put a creator in the middle of course then it all makes a lot more sense !
You suffer some verbal diarrhoea, anyway, without reading it the answer is the same as for MUQ

The problem isn't in evolution, it is on the GODdidit theory

The Creator cannot fail creating a specie, right ?

So why a Creator perfect creation should disapear ?

Did God created a specie and disliked it ?

Sorry MUQ, the succession of different living creatures vestiges found would give me the idea of your God as some engineer launching experimental living creatures and having no care them, and then trying some other model.maybe more sophisticated

Therefore, evolution seems to be a better choice than your theory of an experimentalist GODdidit.

Charlie's

#21814 Mar 14, 2014
EdSed wrote:
Comments like those from Muq and Trandiode illustrate just some of problems of religion (and superstitions in general)- creationism and a total inability to understand scientific theories.
I don't agree, they can understand scientific theories, but how could a Muslim believe that men may have a very far common ancestor with a pig ?
The believers want the Universe specially created for men and men specially created to be selected for becoming God's favorite pets should they comply the instructions for use
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#21815 Mar 15, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
You suffer some verbal diarrhoea, anyway, without reading it the answer is the same as for MUQ
The problem isn't in evolution, it is on the GODdidit theory
The Creator cannot fail creating a specie, right ?
So why a Creator perfect creation should disapear ?
Did God created a specie and disliked it ?
Sorry MUQ, the succession of different living creatures vestiges found would give me the idea of your God as some engineer launching experimental living creatures and having no care them, and then trying some other model.maybe more sophisticated
Therefore, evolution seems to be a better choice than your theory of an experimentalist GODdidit.
Common sense tells you that you have only two choices for existence one of those choices just happens to be God Did It ! So do not be surprised when you hear the term God Did It !
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#21816 Mar 15, 2014
EdSed wrote:
Comments like those from Muq and Trandiode illustrate just some of problems of religion (and superstitions in general)- creationism and a total inability to understand scientific theories. Children need to be taught critical thinking not superstitions, dogma and theology.
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
http://paulbraterman.wordpress.com/2014/02/22...
Critical thinking to you seems to mean that you must accept everything science throws at you and dare not think beyond it ! Sounds more like blind faith to me :)
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#21817 Mar 15, 2014
EdSed wrote:
That was proof of nothing just a biased opinion and nothing more ! Surely you can do better than that :)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21818 Mar 15, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You do not know what you are talking about ! Darwin had two separate types of Evolution in mind when he wrote his book first the General Theory on Evolution then His "special theory of Evolution ! His special theory had to do with variance in species, such as Finches on the Galapagos islands, he noted the variances in their beaks and plumage and thought to himself that they may have a common finch ancestor that those birds all evolved from because of their beaks and their plumage for their individual needs because of the different environments they were found in ! Like you see many versions of cats dogs, birds, apes etc etc ! That was his Special theory and that made sense ! Where he got it wrong was in his General Theory of evolution, Because he further developed the Idea of one common ancestor to everything, hence he turns Dinosaurs into birds and Apes into man ! He thought that one species could overtime turn into another species, And that has not ever been seen in any fossil record showing considering their are millions of fossils that have been found and slow changes should of shown up in at the very least hundreds of thousands of the fossils so far discovered absolutely none have ! Then with Paleontology the same is noticed ! There is not one single human bone found in a ape ! Not One ! and once again there should have been,something because the changes were subtle they should have at least found a few pointing to a support the idea of a change from one species to another ! But an ape is a totally different species to a Human being even though you may think there are similarities they are not great ! compare an Elephant to a horse, Yes they have a few similarities but to suggest that they are of the same species is absurd ! Furthermore if we go back in time and try to suggest everything came from the same single cell life-form, then why the many and varied diversity in nature we have now ? There was no real need for it ! was there ? Unless you put a creator in the middle of course then it all makes a lot more sense !
This is religious nonsense. Darwin had only one theory, and it included all life evolving form a single common ancestor. Not only did different species arise this way, all of the genuses, families, orders, classes and phyla did as well - all of it. None was made by a god.

It sickens me how you zealots are willing to continue to promote this garbage in the name of religions that can't die fast enough. Don't you people think you have done enough damage to the world? Do you care about anything at all besides yourselves? Faith is poison, and people of conscience should endeavor to discredit it at every turn.-

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Charlie's

#21819 Mar 15, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Common sense tells you that you have only two choices for existence one of those choices just happens to be God Did It ! So do not be surprised when you hear the term God Did It !
Common sense tells me that Darwinian natural selection is very logic and what's unlogic would be thinking that Universe was specially created for men and men specially created to be selected for becoming God's favorite pets should they comply the instructions for use.
Common sense tell me that Bible's God is far too anthropologic to be other than an human dream
Common sense tells me that Universe is far too large to have been made exclusively for men dreams, if so a solar system and some thousand stars would have been enough to have men's beautyfull stary nights.
Common sense tels me that before inventing a WHOdididt, better first study how works all that stuff

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Charlie's

#21820 Mar 15, 2014
trandiode wrote:
(...)you have only two choices for existence one of those choices just happens to be God Did It ! So do not be surprised when you hear the term God Did It !
I'm not surprised you serve GODdidit again and again, as your unique answer to many questionings,
Use with care by dint use of it it, it may become Pavlovian a reaction,

Fennario

#21821 Mar 15, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
I'm not surprised you serve GODdidit again and again, as your unique answer to many questionings, Use with care by dint use of it it, it may become Pavlovian a reaction
Pavlov is sitting at a pub enjoying a pint, the phone rings and he jumps up shouting oh shit, I forgot to feed the dog!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21822 Mar 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Pavlov is sitting at a pub enjoying a pint, the phone rings and he jumps up shouting oh shit, I forgot to feed the dog!
That is funny on so many levels...

:D

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21823 Mar 15, 2014
Elixz wrote:
<quoted text>
I Guess you get Your informantion from uncyclopedia.co?
P.S: I suggest you look up the Word Evolution, I think you're mixing it up with something else...
I am coining a new word "Blind Evolution" where no one knows what shape and size and properties would a new specie will take from the one it started to evolve.

I need not have to look into any dictionary for this new word.

This "Blind Theory of Evolution" is what our Pseudo Scientists have made out of the "Original Theory of Evolution" as propounded by Darwin.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#21824 Mar 15, 2014
How clever Atheists are in their own minds ! It seems they have rewritten Darwin's theories to a point where Darwin himself would not even recognize them ! Whatever Atheists do they will not let the truth get in the way of a good story :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21825 Mar 15, 2014
trandiode wrote:
How clever Atheists are in their own minds ! It seems they have rewritten Darwin's theories to a point where Darwin himself would not even recognize them ! Whatever Atheists do they will not let the truth get in the way of a good story :)
Who gives a shyt, if Darwin couldn't recognize modern evolution?

I mean-- seriously? Who gives a rat's fart?

Modern science **certainly** does not-- Darwin was just a clever scientist, who ****DISCOVERED*** the basic principles of evolution.

He's not a profit.

He's not a god.

He's not someone to be worshiped.

At **most**? He is someone to be admired: for your Evil Church would have **murdered** him, if they had the opportunity to.

But he's not some sort of magical mystery figure to be worshiped or some such bullshyt.

Seriously-- he's not.

His opinion of modern evolution? Is worthless-- he did not know what scientists know today.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21826 Mar 15, 2014
LOL!

I wrote "he's not a profit"---

I **should** have written:

Darwin is not a prophet.

LOL!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21827 Mar 15, 2014
Don wrote:
01. The problem isn't in evolution, it is on the GOD did it theory

02. The Creator cannot fail creating a specie, right ?

03. So why a Creator perfect creation should disapear ?

04. Did God created a specie and disliked it ?

05. Sorry MUQ, the succession of different living creatures vestiges found would give me the idea of your God as some engineer launching experimental living creatures and having no care it, and then trying some other model.maybe more sophisticated

06. Therefore, evolution seems to be a better choice than your theory of an experimentalist GOD did it.
Ans.

01. God did it is much better than your "Blind Eevolution Theory" on every count!!

02. No Creator never fails in any thing He wishes.

03. No creation is "perfect", because it is ONLY the Creator who is perfect. No other things are perfect. But they are better than any thing which any one can create.

It is Creator who decides when any of His creation has served its purpose and they disappear.

04. No, Creator did not dislike any specie. They serve their intended purpose and replaced by some other specie.

Why every living thing should die? Does death means that Creator does not like that person?

05. No there was no experiment with the Creator. The single cell creatures are also existing along with much more complicated forms.

Every one of His creations are doing the job and function for which they were designed.

06. The Blind Theory of evolution, where evolution is taking place without any plan, design or purpose, can only take place in your dreams and never on earth.

God did it is much better that "BTOE" on every count!

Fennario

#21828 Mar 16, 2014
trandiode wrote:
How clever Atheists are in their own minds ! It seems they have rewritten Darwin's theories to a point where Darwin himself would not even recognize them !
Darwin would feel right at home with modern evolutionary theory once he got up to speed on genetics and molecular biology. And that work was done by scientists, not atheists. Atheists don't do anything as atheists. We act as humanists, parents, citizens, coworkers, scientists, movie or sports lovers, philosophers, etc..- but never as atheists. Our job is done there as soon as we have decided not to accept the claims of faith based thinkers.

And it is you, not atheists, who rewrote Darwin's theory. You wrote, "Darwin had two separate types of Evolution in mind when he wrote his book first the General Theory on Evolution then His special theory of Evolution !" Sorry, but either you or somebody you trusted simply made that up.
trandiode wrote:
Whatever Atheists do they will not let the truth get in the way of a good story :)
There is no truth in faith. It is not a path to knowledge.

"If faith is ever right about anything, its just right by accident ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.- Sam Harris

Your presuppositionalist biases pervert your natural faculty for understanding the world. My dogs don't have intellectual ability, but because they are not burdened with irrational faith based ideas asking them to disbelieve the evidence of their sensed and natural intelligence, in many ways they have a more accurate understanding of their world than you do. They don't pray for help, for example. They come to me to open a door or feed them.

Fennario

#21829 Mar 16, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
I am coining a new word "Blind Evolution" where no one knows what shape and size and properties would a new specie will take from the one it started to evolve.
I need not have to look into any dictionary for this new word. This "Blind Theory of Evolution" is what our Pseudo Scientists have made out of the "Original Theory of Evolution" as propounded by Darwin.
Dawkins beat you by a few decades.
https://covers.openlibrary.org/b/id/7145625-L...

You people really need to do yourselves a favor and stifle yourselves regarding science. You are laughably ignorant. Religious zealots have no standing in the scientific community.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21830 Mar 16, 2014
This is an excellent post
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin would feel right at home with modern evolutionary theory once he got up to speed on genetics and molecular biology. And that work was done by scientists, not atheists. Atheists don't do anything as atheists. We act as humanists, parents, citizens, coworkers, scientists, movie or sports lovers, philosophers, etc..- but never as atheists. Our job is done there as soon as we have decided not to accept the claims of faith based thinkers.
And it is you, not atheists, who rewrote Darwin's theory. You wrote, "Darwin had two separate types of Evolution in mind when he wrote his book first the General Theory on Evolution then His special theory of Evolution !" Sorry, but either you or somebody you trusted simply made that up.
<quoted text>
There is no truth in faith. It is not a path to knowledge.
"If faith is ever right about anything, its just right by accident ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.- Sam Harris
Your presuppositionalist biases pervert your natural faculty for understanding the world. My dogs don't have intellectual ability, but because they are not burdened with irrational faith based ideas asking them to disbelieve the evidence of their sensed and natural intelligence, in many ways they have a more accurate understanding of their world than you do. They don't pray for help, for example. They come to me to open a door or feed them.
(Although my dogs learned to open internal doors themselves!:-)

Fennario

#21831 Mar 16, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
01. God did it is much better than your "Blind Eevolution Theory" on every count!!
Godidit is not only not an answer to anything. It has zero explanatory power, zero predictive power, can neither be confirmed nor falsified, and is counterproductive to knowledge by virtue of stifling inquiry.

Faith is sterile. It has never yielded a single idea that improved the human condition, but it has caused people to hate, fight, and waste vast quantities of precious resources. Religion is a ruse created by priests to avoid productive employment.

"The profession of shaman has many advantages. It offers high status with a safe livelihood free of work in the dreary, sweaty sense. In most societies it offers legal privileges and immunities not granted to other men. But it is hard to see how a man who has been given a mandate from on High to spread tidings of joy to all mankind can be seriously interested in taking up a collection to pay his salary; it causes one to suspect that the shaman is on the moral level of any other con man. But it is a lovely work if you can stomach it." - Robert Heinlein

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#21832 Mar 16, 2014
EdSed wrote:
This is an excellent post<quoted text>(Although my dogs learned to open internal doors themselves!:-)
Thanks, Ed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 7,204
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 238,947
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr NoahLovesU 7,435
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 3 hr superwilly 88
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
More from around the web