Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21772 Mar 11, 2014
trandiode wrote:
No one ever believed in a flat earth, that was myth ! But you can believe your myths if you like :)
Your arrogant ignorance is breath-taking.

People still believe in a flat earth today. Here is the website and information center for the Flat Earth Society: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

Here they are "debunking" the spherical earth "theory" with all of the fervor of a Christian like you arguing against evolution: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.ph...

Here's a video arguing that the earth is flat:

And here is another claiming that NASA lies. You should find these people simpatico.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#21773 Mar 11, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Evolutionist scientists have never ever viewed a physical evolutionary event happening anywhere at any time in nature !
Wrong again, Christian.

Observed Speciation Events - Evolution Reproduced In The Lab or Documented In Nature:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.ht...

[1] Two strains of Drosophila paulistorum developed hybrid sterility of male offspring between 1958 and 1963. Artificial selection induced strong intra-strain mating preferences.

(Test for speciation: sterile offspring and lack of interbreeding affinity.)

Dobzhansky, Th., and O. Pavlovsky, 1971. "An experimentally created incipient species of Drosophila", Nature 23:289-292.

[2] Evidence that a species of fireweed formed by doubling of the chromosome count, from the original stock.(Note that polyploids are generally considered to be a separate "race" of the same species as the original stock, but they do meet the criteria which you suggested.)

(Test for speciation: cannot produce offspring with the original stock.)

Mosquin, T., 1967. "Evidence for autopolyploidy in Epilobium angustifolium (Onaagraceae)", Evolution 21:713-719

[3] Rapid speciation of the Faeroe Island house mouse, which occurred in less than 250 years after man brought the creature to the island.

(Test for speciation in this case is based on morphology. It is unlikely that forced breeding experiments have been performed with the parent stock.)

Stanley, S., 1979. Macroevolution: Pattern and Process, San Francisco, W.H. Freeman and Company. p. 41

[4] Formation of five new species of cichlid fishes which formed since they were isolated less than 4000 years ago from the parent stock, Lake Nagubago.

(Test for speciation in this case is by morphology and lack of natural interbreeding. These fish have complex mating rituals and different coloration. While it might be possible that different species are inter-fertile, they cannot be convinced to mate.)

Mayr, E., 1970. Populations, Species, and Evolution, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press. p. 348

========

"Humanity's first sin was faith. The first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21774 Mar 11, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Creator did not come from ANYWHERE!!
He was the ONLY one present, when there was NOTHING!!
Who says I am avoiding answering questions?
I avoid, illogical, unreasonable and already answered questions.
And any thing written with abuses, insults using profane and non Civil language, I stay away from it.
Ask any question with me in civil language, and there are very bright chances of me posting an answer to it. Inshallah, i.e. Allah willing.
If he was present when nothing existed then he is part of the nothing that doesn't exist.

You think god is some superior being, fair enough, your choice. However you aren't even attempting to answer the question of where everything comes from.

It's the same as asking where everything comes from and getting the answer 'I have an ant farm, I breed ants'.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21775 Mar 11, 2014
MUQ wrote:
PS:
Why should I have a THEORY to explain what was BEFORE Beginning?
The Creator says, He was the only one Existing and Living, before start of beginning.
And this is most reasonable, logical and scientific way to solve the problem.
No it isn't.

You say stuff existed before the beginning. That means it isn't the beginning.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21776 Mar 11, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Life as an atheist would be comparable to a walking talking breathing computer ! all it understands and all that it perceives in the world is made up of zeros and ones ! As far as they can compute they are doing all they can do, nothing more nothing less, there is no more meaning to existence than what has been physically programmed in to their systems ! Their data tells them that they are limited and are using their capacity to its fullest extent ! While I know there is a programmer who can give them so many more abilities than they now have, But they know not that because the programmer does not and can not exist in their world of ones and zeros !
Uh huh.

So what special powers has your god given you apart from the power to be willfully ignorant?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21777 Mar 11, 2014
MUQ wrote:
1. It does not matter, how you juggle facts, the time and space and matter and energy, every thing had a beginning…
This is postulate, It's not possible to demonstrate it.
MUQ wrote:
The ONLY thing which is ageless and no beginning and no end is the Creator of this Universe!!
What is Universe is not fully understood, and you have already a theory on who did it.
Meaning that you cogitate upside down.

Charlie's

#21778 Mar 11, 2014
MUQ wrote:
Creator did not come from ANYWHERE!!
He was the ONLY one present, when there was NOTHING!!
So the creator comes from nowhere, is compound of nothing
MUQ wrote:
And this is most reasonable, logical and scientific way to solve the problem.
I see, logical and scientific reasoning from nowhere and from nothing.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#21779 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
They also once believed in a flat earth.
<quoted text>
Your religiously informed opinions are of no value to us.
Because you are not a scientist at all!!

You are not even a Pseudo Scientist!!.... Just pretending to be one!!

JUBAIL, KSA

#21780 Mar 11, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't.
You say stuff existed before the beginning. That means it isn't the beginning.
What is beginning?

JUBAIL, KSA

#21781 Mar 11, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
So the creator comes from nowhere, is compound of nothing
<quoted text>
I see, logical and scientific reasoning from nowhere and from nothing.
Creator was there always, when nothing else was there. What He is made of, we do not know and will never know.

Science (the way we understand it) started after Universe came into being, because science is the study of materials and their relationship with each other.

You cannot use science on subjects which are outside its scope.

Why blame science, it is just a tool.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21782 Mar 11, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is beginning?
The start, the first thing.

It is impossible to have been created because something would already have toi exist to create it.

Fennario

#21783 Mar 11, 2014
They also once believed in a flat earth. Your religiously informed opinions are of no value to us.
MUQ1 wrote:
Because you are not a scientist at all!! You are not even a Pseudo Scientist!!.... Just pretending to be one!!
A pseudo-pseudoscientist, huh? Ouch!

Were you expecting to be taken seriously making faith based attacks on science? Good luck with that.

And are those pigeons in your avatar?

Charlie's

#21784 Mar 12, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Creator was there always, when nothing else was there. What He is made of, we do not know and will never know.
So you know about nothing, but t you can affirm anythng

JUBAIL, KSA

#21785 Mar 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Wrong again, Christian.
Observed Speciation Events - Evolution Reproduced In The Lab or Documented In Nature:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.ht...
[1] Two strains of Drosophila paulistorum developed hybrid sterility of male offspring between 1958 and 1963. Artificial selection induced strong intra-strain mating preferences.
Dobzhansky, Th., and O. Pavlovsky, 1971. "An experimentally created incipient species of Drosophila", Nature 23:289-292.
[2] Evidence that a species of fireweed formed by doubling of the chromosome count, from the original stock.(Note that polyploids are generally considered to be a separate "race" of the same species as the original stock, but they do meet the criteria which you suggested.)
Mosquin, T., 1967. "Evidence for autopolyploidy in Epilobium angustifolium (Onaagraceae)", Evolution 21:713-719
[3] Rapid speciation of the Faeroe Island house mouse, which occurred in less than 250 years after man brought the creature to the island.
(Test for speciation in this case is based on morphology. It is unlikely that forced breeding experiments have been performed with the parent stock.)
Stanley, S., 1979. Macroevolution: Pattern and Process, San Francisco, W.H. Freeman and Company. p. 41
[4] Formation of five new species of cichlid fishes which formed since they were isolated less than 4000 years ago from the parent stock, Lake Nagubago.
(Test for speciation in this case is by morphology and lack of natural interbreeding. These fish have complex mating rituals and different coloration. While it might be possible that different species are inter-fertile, they cannot be convinced to mate.)
Mayr, E., 1970. Populations, Species, and Evolution, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press. p. 348
========
"Humanity's first sin was faith. The first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben
Wrong examples, no specie changed from one to other.

Minor changes within specie do not prove the "Wild theories" of Evolution of one specie changing into another.

Complete path of evolution of not even a single specie changing into another is not there.

There is as much "faith" in these "evolution backer" as they accuse believers of!!

JUBAIL, KSA

#21786 Mar 12, 2014
PS:

And what is objected is not Evolution, but "Blind Evolution" , i.e. when there is no plan, no design and no clear way, as to what the new specie would look like.

It is only in wild dreams that such evolution can take place.

Fennario

#21787 Mar 12, 2014
Observed Speciation Events - Evolution Reproduced In The Lab or Documented In Nature: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.ht...

MUQ1 wrote:
Wrong examples, no specie changed from one to other.
Read it again, but a little more carefully. The post is riddled with the word "speciation"
MUQ1 wrote:
Minor changes within specie do not prove the "Wild theories" of Evolution of one specie changing into another.
That's incorrect, just as minor changes in Pluto's orbit indicates that it has traveled much longer distances over past eons. If there is nothing to stop small changes over short periods of time from becoming larger changes over larger periods of time, they will. What process could possibly prevent the changes you just described from mounting up until new species were seen? Nothing at all, especially not religious faith.

Fennario

#21788 Mar 12, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
PS: And what is objected is not Evolution, but "Blind Evolution" , i.e. when there is no plan, no design and no clear way, as to what the new specie would look like.
It is only in wild dreams that such evolution can take place.
Sorry, but Darwin was correct: All species have descended from a common unicellular ancestor over deep time due to the natural selection of undirected heritable changes in gene pools caused by mutation and gene recombination in individual organism, and leading to their differential survival rates in populations competing for scarce resources and to escape predation, a process which accounts for the diversity of life on earth as well as its commonalities.

You can argue, but none of that is debatable any more. The questions now surround precise pathways and mechanisms.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#21789 Mar 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> No one ever believed in a flat earth, that was myth ! But you can believe your myths if you like :)
That is bible myth. We never believed it, but some buybull thumpers still do. And they believe it because the buybull tells them to.

Charlie's

#21790 Mar 12, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Yes it does, The Lonchura group is a family of very similar birds, they live from Western Africa to Japan, When their territory is close to another, they can breed, when their territory is very distant form another, they cannot breed and thus are considered as different species.
Genetic studies corroborate observations.

Charlie's

#21791 Mar 12, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
Why blame science, it is just a tool.
A tool that the muslims stopped to use, since the 15th century they have hadded nothing to knowledge,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 12 min Science 234
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min Science 75,699
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 min Science 32,066
Ten Commandments monument in Arkansas. 43 min Eagle 12 - 2
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr yehoshooah adam 4,086
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 16 hr Subduction Zone 6,112
Majority of Scots now have no religion (May '16) Tue John 164
More from around the web