Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,565

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21627 Mar 2, 2014
MUQ wrote:
01. Even If Jesus said "he was son of God", he used it in the sense, it was used by Jews, since he was of Jewish origin.
There are many, many sons of God in Jewish scriptures.
But Christians under the influence of St. Paul used this term in a "special sense" for Jesus
St Paul is for little in Christians' belief that Jesus is son of God, it's the First Council of Nicaea which claimed it. Part of former Christians just believed that Jesus saying that he was a son of God was just as everyone is supposed to be "son of God". They were "Arianists" Christians and were wildely fought by official doctrine of the deity of Jesus
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21628 Mar 2, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Even If Jesus said "he was son of God", he used it in the sense, it was used by Jews, since he was of Jewish origin.
There are many, many sons of God in Jewish scriptures.
But Christians under the influence of St. Paul used this term in a "special sense" for Jesus.
From where you got the idea that Muslims (in your usage) made Jesus into Father and Son? We Muslims do not use such terms at all.
02. What is this nonsense that it is OK for Muslims to be god? From where you are getting these crazy ideas?
03. It is not my weird theories, it is your unfounded rendering of your confusing ideas.
1) I get the idea from you. You said the apostles were all muslims and have now said it was Paul who claimed jesus was the son of god. That means you are claiming that a muslim named another muslim the son of god. It isn't my fault your claims are contradictory.

2) It's your nonsense, you tell me.

3) I based everything I said on your conception of islam. Once again: It isn't my fault if it makes no sense.

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#21629 Mar 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The relevance to the discussion would be for you to ask "how many gods are there not?"
The answer is infinte.
so you are an atheist to all but one god! gotit

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#21630 Mar 2, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because you are a fraud!
All atheists I know claim there is no god; they vehemently affirm it.
You must be the exception.
Theists claim there is a god or gods.
Atheists claim there is no god.
Thee is no room in between!!
Maybe it's time you stop splitting hair and playing to the gallery and confess if you are an atheist or you don't know what you are!!
You may think you are entertaining in your little coterie, but you are just a charlatan pretending what you are when you are not.
I expect a long, long rely now that I have rattled your cage!!! LOL
Gnostic Theism: The positive assertion that there is a god or gods.

Agnostic Theism: The belief in a god or gods without specific claims.

Gnostic Atheism: The positive assertion that there are no gods.

Agnostic Atheism: No belief in gods without specific claims.

Theism: A belief in a god or gods.

Atheism: No belief in a god or gods.

Atheism is not the opposite of Christianity
nor does it make the claim that you offer in your "b" definition.
Ergo, all are born atheist until the concept of a god is introduced.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21631 Mar 2, 2014
DP wrote:
St Paul is for little in Christians' belief that Jesus is son of God, it's the First Council of Nicaea which claimed it. Part of former Christians just believed that Jesus saying that he was a son of God was just as everyone is supposed to be "son of God". They were "Arianists" Christians and were wildely fought by official doctrine of the deity of Jesus
Ans.

How did Council of Nicaea get it knowledge from?

They were all from writings of St. Paul and still present in his letters.

Aryans took those words in a figurative sense while those who wanted to follow Paul took it in leteral sense.

But what does Son od God actually means, no one is able to explain at all.

They just start mumbling and speaking in Gibberish when asked to explain it!!
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21632 Mar 2, 2014
Read wrote:
1) I get the idea from you. You said the apostles were all muslims and have now said it was Paul who claimed jesus was the son of god. That means you are claiming that a muslim named another muslim the son of god. It isn't my fault your claims are contradictory.

2) It's your nonsense, you tell me.

3) I based everything I said on your conception of islam. Once again: It isn't my fault if it makes no sense.
Ans.

01. That is why I said, that you do not read my answers, you just pick up a few words and add your own interpretation.

I first explained what Islam is and who is supposed to be a Muslim.

Words like son of god, used by Jews are not dogmatic, but only show a person's closeness to God. They are neither spoken nor to be taken literally.

There is no contradiction in my post.

03. It does not make any sense, because you do not want to understand it, how it can be my fault?

EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21633 Mar 2, 2014
From the King of gibberish....
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
.....They just start mumbling and speaking in Gibberish when asked to explain it!!
There are no such things as gods or fairies.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21634 Mar 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

“I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out,“Atheism [or science] is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.”- Amanda Marcotte
What an absurd statement.

"Atheism is just another kind of faith" is a response to an atheist characterizing faith as a pejorative, and puts the accused on the same plane as the accuser. It is not to argue that the opponent is misguided, just not superior in this one sense.

Ms. Marcotte is an idiot.

Location hidden

#21635 Mar 3, 2014
EdSed wrote:
From the King of gibberish....
<quoted text>

There are no such things as gods or fairies.
To know this requires you to be omniscient. Humans are not omniscient, so you must be a god. Since you are a god, gods exist.

Or, on the other hand, you could be simply a liar.

Which is it? Are you a god, or a liar?

I'm betting on liar.
walden

London, UK

#21636 Mar 3, 2014
The universe is infinite therefore anything is possible.
But lets face it religion is a human invention invented by humans and obviously not created by 'god'.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21637 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
To know this requires you to be omniscient. Humans are not omniscient, so you must be a god. Since you are a god, gods exist.
Or, on the other hand, you could be simply a liar.
Which is it? Are you a god, or a liar?
I'm betting on liar.
Calm down, flower. I just state the obvious.

Religion = superstition

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21638 Mar 3, 2014
What an absurd statement.“I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out,“Atheism [or science] is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.”- Amanda Marcotte
Buck Crick wrote:
What an absurd statement."Atheism is just another kind of faith" is a response to an atheist characterizing faith as a pejorative, and puts the accused on the same plane as the accuser. It is not to argue that the opponent is misguided, just not superior in this one sense.
I think the quote is an excellent comment.

Faith is inferior to evidence based belief as the history of mankind attests. Faith is sterile, whereas rational skepticism, empiricism, and rational ethics have generated most of the best ideas in history.

Calling atheism faith is an empty claim. Atheism is the lack of faith in gods.

Here's a related comment in response to calling evolution a religion, but which is an apt answer to anyone calling science, atheism or humanism religion:

“Evolution is a branch of biology which explains biodiveristy. As such it doesnt not permit permit supernatural explanations, has no doctrines nor dogma nor fables with morals. It has no rituals, traditions or holidays, nor either leaders or defenders of the faith because it doesn’t allow faith. It holds nothing sacred, there’s no place of worship, no enchantments, no clergy, no fashion or garb. It neither promotes nor encourages belief in gods or souls. It says nothing about how we should live or what happens after we die. It is therefore not a religion.”–anon
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21639 Mar 3, 2014
walden wrote:
The universe is infinite therefore anything is possible.
But lets face it religion is a human invention invented by humans and obviously not created by 'god'.
Exactly. Abrahamic gods and all of these...
godchecker.com
are man's inventions too.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21640 Mar 3, 2014
MUQ wrote:
How did Council of Nicaea get it knowledge from?
They were all from writings of St. Paul and still present in his letters
.Aryans took those words in a figurative sense while those who wanted to follow Paul took it in leteral sense.
You are confusing Paul of Tarse with Paul of Samosate which denied full divinity of Jesus.
MUQ wrote:
But what does Son od God actually means, no one is able to explain at all.
Yes, it's easy, it means created by God's will
MUQ wrote:
They just start mumbling and speaking in Gibberish when asked to explain it!!
Do you mean that virgin birth fairy tale ?
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21641 Mar 3, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. That is why I said, that you do not read my answers, you just pick up a few words and add your own interpretation.
I first explained what Islam is and who is supposed to be a Muslim.
Words like son of god, used by Jews are not dogmatic, but only show a person's closeness to God. They are neither spoken nor to be taken literally.
There is no contradiction in my post.
03. It does not make any sense, because you do not want to understand it, how it can be my fault?
True or false: You said all the disciples were muslim.

True or false: you said it was one of the disciples who first claimed jesus was the direct son of god.

Just for fun:

True or false: Before mohammed, not a single human ever claimed to be a muslim, including all the ones you say were muslims.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#21642 Mar 3, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Faith is inferior to evidence based belief as the history of mankind attests. Faith is sterile, whereas rational skepticism, empiricism, and rational ethics have generated most of the best ideas in history.
Here's a related comment in response to calling evolution a religion, but which is an apt answer to anyone calling science, atheism or humanism religion:
“Evolution is a branch of biology which explains biodiveristy. As such it doesnt not permit permit supernatural explanations, has no doctrines nor dogma nor fables with morals. It has no rituals, traditions or holidays, nor either leaders or defenders of the faith because it doesn’t allow faith. It holds nothing sacred, there’s no place of worship, no enchantments, no clergy, no fashion or garb. It neither promotes nor encourages belief in gods or souls. It says nothing about how we should live or what happens after we die. It is therefore not a religion.”–anon
Yes. Turning one's believe system over to priests or evangelists of any ilk, muslim, christian, or whatever, is akin to turning one's car key's over to a drunk.

Location hidden

#21643 Mar 3, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's factually incorrect. "Evolution" is not a branch of biology. It is a biological process. it also does not "explain biodiversity". It offers a reasonable explanation for some observations in biodiversity. It is also not true that it has no dogma, leaders, or defenders. It is also not true that it holds nothing sacred. It is not true that there is no fashion. It is not true that it says nothing about what happens after we die.

The passage would make me more inclined to call it a religion than I was before.

Location hidden

#21644 Mar 3, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. Turning one's believe system over to priests or evangelists of any ilk, muslim, christian, or whatever, is akin to turning one's car key's over to a drunk.
I get it. I'm not a fan of Dawkins, either.

Particularly not after 4:00 pm.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21645 Mar 3, 2014
What did prophet preach?(The other side of story)

Selection from the book MISHKAT AL MASABEEH (an authentic collection of sayings of prophet) Part-5

Subject: Trust on Allah and perseverance:

27. Prophet PBUH said “ A believer is in a situation which is always good for him and this status is only for the believers and not for the non believers.

“If he has provisions, he thanks Allah, and it is good for him”
“And if he has straightness of means, he shows patience and perseverance and it is good for him”

28. Prophet PBUH said “Non indulgence in world is not that one makes unlawful of what Allah had made lawful for him, and it is not that one wastes his money, the proper way is that one always has more desire for what is with Allah and has patience when things are tough on him”

29. Prophet PBUH said to his cousin Abdullah bin Abbas “O boy! Remember Allah and He will remember you, if you need anything, ask Allah for it, If you need assistance, ask Allah for assistance.

“Be aware if every one tried to give you things, they will not be able to give, except what Allah has decreed already and if every one on earth wants to harm you, they will not be able to, except what Allah has already decreed”

30. Prophet PBUH said “Best condition of a man is when he is satisfied with what Allah has provided for him and Worst situation for a man is, when he stops seeking advice from Allah and sign of loss for man is, when he is not satisfied with what Allah has decreed for him”

“AU KAMA QAAL ALAIHI AL SALAT WA SALAAM (Prophet PBUH said these or similar words)

Contd.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21646 Mar 3, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
True or false: You said all the disciples were muslim.
True or false: you said it was one of the disciples who first claimed jesus was the direct son of god.
Just for fun:
True or false: Before mohammed, not a single human ever claimed to be a muslim, including all the ones you say were muslims.
Just twisting the words, are you?

The disciples of a prophet are those who follow his teachings. The true disciples. Persons like Judas were traitors and hypocrites that were with Jesus.

Again you are playing your broken record. All prophets were Muslims and all their true followers were Muslims.

Because they all submitted themselves to their True Lord and Creator.

You should not live in Arabia to be a Muslim, you should not speak Arabic to be a Muslim.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min One way or another 16,583
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 23 min Eagle 12 4,753
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 235,555
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr thetruth 6,032
The Consequences of Atheism 3 hr thetruth 712
Is Religion Childish? 3 hr thetruth 136
Well that's religitards for you... 12 hr Thinking 1
More from around the web