Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21586 Feb 27, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
So, everlasting paradise in the afterlife is finite?
How long should a devout Chritian expect to bask in the splendour of everlasting paradise.
Is God's presence also finite? Can God die?
God never existed it is just a Phantom. There was never ever any god at all.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21587 Feb 27, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You could not be more incorrect, if you said white was black, and light was dark.
Seriously.
I do not deny the existence of gods-- I simply ask for **proof** that they exist.
And until such proof is given? They are not real,**by**default**.
You have given no proof--therefore? Your god is-- BY DEFAULT-- not real.
That is **not** denial on my part.
That **is** a 100%**FAIL** on YOUR part to show proof.
Of course there was never such a Thing like god at all.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21588 Feb 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you think you are doing representing the benefits of a faith based life? Do you think that the unbelievers are regretting their choices not to follow in your footsteps?
Let's look at the main alternative:
Humanism - "an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.is a vastly superior ideology."
There are huge moral and intellectual benefits to this option over your choice, which has done nothing for you more than have you flitting about the thread like a moth with no interesting ideas, expertise in nothing, no ability to form a rational argument, and now reduced to spamming negative icons indiscriminately and wishing illness upon others.
Your education and character development have been skillfully mismanaged by your priests, who prefer that you not think clearly and that you not mature into a strong adult.
"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." - Bishop John Shelby Spong
It is in the interest of all of us for the institution that spits out people like you by the millions to be diminished, and its noxious influence be replaced by humanistic institutions promoting good liberal arts educations including competence in reasoning, physical and life sciences, philosophy, and the social sciences, rather than based thinking and mythology, and which promote humanistic values like compassion, justice, courage, autonomy, and self-actualization rather than training you to submit, obey, worship, be meek, and turn the other cheek.
Your model for moral excellence is a petty, cruel, and vengeful god that you have successfully emulated in your post above - a vapid version of judgment and vengeance.
Just Forget the whole religious garbage.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21589 Feb 27, 2014
<quoted text>
How do you think you are doing representing the benefits of a faith based life? Do you think that the unbelievers are regretting their choices not to follow in your footsteps?
Let's look at the main alternative:
Humanism - "an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.is a vastly superior ideology."
There are huge moral and intellectual benefits to this option over your choice, which has done nothing for you more than have you flitting about the thread like a moth with no interesting ideas, expertise in nothing, no ability to form a rational argument, and now reduced to spamming negative icons indiscriminately and wishing illness upon others.
Your education and character development have been skillfully mismanaged by your priests, who prefer that you not think clearly and that you not mature into a strong adult.
"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." - Bishop John Shelby Spong
It is in the interest of all of us for the institution that spits out people like you by the millions to be diminished, and its noxious influence be replaced by humanistic institutions promoting good liberal arts educations including competence in reasoning, physical and life sciences, philosophy, and the social sciences, rather than based thinking and mythology, and which promote humanistic values like compassion, justice, courage, autonomy, and self-actualization rather than training you to submit, obey, worship, be meek, and turn the other cheek.
Your model for moral excellence is a petty, cruel, and vengeful god that you have successfully emulated in your post above - a vapid version of judgment and vengeance.
Never not a bit of a god has ever been.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21590 Feb 27, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
were we all to use private daffynitions of terms as do you, what little discourse remaining would disappear.
the term religion has fallen into such total disrepute, that even the god-bots decline to be associated.
Is there a more profound proof of the advance of atheism, and the decline of "religion"
I think not.
Persons like you, and RR, and Delusional Dave (and your other socks) are assisting in the demise of christianity and religious conviction in general.
YOU support no church, no central or common dogma, no common belief set, you do not contribute to the financial activities of any "religion" and yet are quick to associate yourselves with and "good" done by such institutions. You are the bane, nay the joke, of the remaining religious.
The RCC is the most criminal religous Organisation. All religions are fakes or even criminal.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21591 Feb 27, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
After all, chidren didn't ask for being born, nor Man to be created
All religions are garbage.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21592 Feb 27, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
How long should a devout Chritian expect to bask in the splendour of everlasting paradise.
No paradise, no heaven, no hell, no angels or even devils. Forget that whole criminal garbage.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#21593 Feb 27, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget the whole religious garbage and turn to scjence. Life is only very short.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21594 Feb 27, 2014
MUQ wrote:
I think Islam is the only religion which is so broadminded that it accepts Jewish prophets as its own!!
The broadmindedness which Muslims show towards Jewish prophet and Jesus is in exact contrast with what these people have to say about our prophet.
You don't have the same broadmind with the jew and christian population which are dhimmis in muslim sharia ruled countries,
MUQ wrote:
We never say that History started with our prophet, we never say that he brought a new religion, we never say that he was the only prophet, we never say that Quran is the only revelation sent to mankind.
What we say is the Our prophet is the Last and Final prophet in the long chain of Prophets and Quran is the Last and Best protected and Preserved of all revealed books.
I admit that tthis is a very good trick to eliminate some further concurrence by any self-saying god inspired new-comer
MUQ wrote:
And those who have any knowledge about these matters, understand and acknowledge this.
But those who are biased and have no knowledge, try to confuse themselves and others by making claims which Islam never did.
What bothers me are not the claims which Islam never did, it's the claims Islam does

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21596 Feb 27, 2014
<quoted text>

You guys have a pretty poor track record with suicide bombings and airplane hijackings, not to mention acid in the face and genital mutilation. It's hard to get good press after that.
Ain't it true. You turn a few jumbo jets into loaded firebombs, cut off the clitoris of a few little girls with a rusty tin can, and people stereotype you as a bad guy.

Who said life was fair?

(Two great posts, Doc. Your humor is getting more like mine.)

Charlie's

#21597 Feb 27, 2014
MUQ wrote:
It shows that you do not understand the meaning of Islam and Muslim.
Islam is submitting yourself to your Creator and Muslim is one who does that.
You do not have to speak Arabic language or be bron in Arabia to be a Muslim.
Just to submit to some arabic imported laws
MUQ wrote:
01. Jesus was from Jewish background, but he was a Muslim and he preached the same message of One ness of God which all true prophets before him preached. All the true followers of Jesus were Muslims, irrespective of which race they belonged to you.
There is a tremendous number of cults wich say that they are genuine followers of Jesus, to begin with Roman Catholic Church, the Evangelists Of course they are all preaching forbiden in Saudia.
MUQ wrote:
Those who rejected the message of Jesus and tried to arrest and convict him, they were not Muslims, irrespective of whether they were from Jewish Race or Arabian race or Roman race.
Thus the jew religious court of justice which condemned JC
The Romans didn't reject any message of Jesus they hadn't, they just got rid of some leader of crowd, probably one of these Kingdon of God independance activists
MUQ wrote:
Many people get same doubts as yourself, because they think that you should know Arabic to be a Muslim or that our prophet , peace be on him, brought a new religion.
new or not, it's foreign, middle-east born
Thinking

Magherafelt, UK

#21598 Feb 27, 2014
Nuclear science is great.
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget the whole religious garbage and turn to scjence. Life is only very short.

Charlie's

#21599 Feb 27, 2014
Henry wrote:
Religious thought is not all garbage, as fueling marvels of art and majestic monuments building.
I heard once in a cathedral a Vivaldi choral with kids soprano pure voices singing in echo, that was absolutely spendid.
Priest or monk orders provided first healthcare and hospitals.
Mosquees provide washing places for muslims.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21600 Feb 27, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>

Mosquees provide washing places for muslims.
And not a moment too soon.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21602 Feb 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Ain't it true. You turn a few jumbo jets into loaded firebombs, cut off the clitoris of a few little girls with a rusty tin can, and people stereotype you as a bad guy.
Who said life was fair?(Two great posts, Doc. Your humor is getting more like mine.)
Thanks, Buck.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21603 Feb 27, 2014
DP wrote:
01. You don't have the same broadmind with the jew and christian population which are dhimmis in muslim sharia ruled countries,

02. I admit that tthis is a very good trick to eliminate some further concurrence by any self-saying god inspired new-comer

03. What bothers me are not the claims which Islam never did, it's the claims Islam does

04. There is a tremendous number of cults wich say that they are genuine followers of Jesus, to begin with Roman Catholic Church, the Evangelists Of course they are all preaching forbiden in Saudia.

05. Thus the jew religious court of justice which condemned JC
The Romans didn't reject any message of Jesus they hadn't, they just got rid of some leader of crowd, probably one of these Kingdon of God independance activists

06. new or not, it's foreign, middle-east born
Ans.

01. Dimmis were treated much better than other religious minorities and conquered nations in Jewish and Christian controlled nations.

02. Why not look at "new comers" and find out what they have to say about others that came before them?

03. Islam is not a body that does any thing. It is a set of teachings, those who follow it to any degree are Muslims to that degree.

04. There are many number of sects in Christianity, what they say about each other?

05. What are you implying?

06. And where was Jesus and all Jewish prophets born?

Europe? America? Australia?

All the Jewish Prophets were born in ME!!
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21604 Feb 27, 2014
Read wrote:
01. So as well as claiming jesus was born a jew, you also seem to be suggesting he was converted to islam at some point. This despite the religion not existing AND the methods for coverting not existing either?

02.| always thought chritianity was hillarious but clearly islam is even funnier.

03. PS what about Judas, was he muslim?
Ans.

01. I think you do not read my answers at all and keep on repeating your doubt.

Jesus was already a Muslim, why he had to convert to Islam? Islam means submitting oneself to his Creator and Jesus and all past prophets and all of their true followers were Muslims.

02. You have a very poor sense of humor, is that all I can say.

03. Judas and others who rejected Jesus or any of the prophets of God, were not Muslims. Judas , if the Gospel accounts are true, was a true Hypocrite.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21605 Feb 27, 2014
CR wrote:
01. The universe is not based on truth or justice. Some people believe in Karma but i don't think there is any real basis for that other than some Psychosomatic belief.

02. But do you want to know why the wrong sort of people gather wealth and power?

03. It is the darwinian theory of Survival of the Fittest. Those who are merciless, ambitious, physically strong, ruthless and violent will always lead the rest of us.

04. Many of these people use God's name to garner power. That is why the Monarch of England is appointed by God, and why Caliphs are also appointed by God. They used God as a way to control the people.

05. If there is an natural disaster tomorrow and the people have to fend for themselves with a govt or army, who dio you think will be in charge?

Those who are merciless, ambitious, physically strong, ruthless and violent will be in charge. Not the pious quiet religious man praying for mercy.
Ans.

01. To say that Universe is not based on truth and justice, shows that you are very ignorant about it.

There are laws and rules for every thing, from smallest to the biggest things.

02. It is not ONLY wrong sorts of people that get wealth and power. Many righteous and good people also earn wealth and get power by correct means.

03. The Darwinian theory of Survival is not true, if that was the case, MOST of humans would be immoral, cruel, and doing every thing to just get past. If after so many generations, we find good traits amongst humans, so this Darwinian theory is wrong.

04. No doubt people misuse the name of religion to gain power. But this is not true in all cases.

05. Do you mean to say that " merciless, ambitious, physically strong, ruthless and violent will be in charge." Would save other people from Natural Disaster? Why?

By which Darwinian theory?

Boy , you are funny!!

Charlie's

#21606 Feb 28, 2014
MUQ wrote:
01. Dimmis were treated much better than other religious minorities and conquered nations in Jewish and Christian controlled nations.
MUQ wrote:
02. Why not look at "new comers" and find out what they have to say about others that came before them?
Such as Moon Sect ? The same as precedents, but upgraded
MUQ wrote:
03. Islam is not a body that does any thing. It is a set of teachings, those who follow it to any degree are Muslims to that degree.
So that allows you to claim that if somebody has its own rules of life non contradictive with Islam, therefore he is partly a muslim, except for the atheists bound for hell
MUQ wrote:
04. There are many number of sects in Christianity, what they say about each other?
About the same you would say about them, they have wrong
MUQ wrote:
06. And where was Jesus and all Jewish prophets born?
Europe? America? Australia?
All the Jewish Prophets were born in ME!!
Cannabis and Khat too were born in ME

Since: Feb 14

Tejgaon, Bangladesh

#21607 Feb 28, 2014
I Wonder what would happen if a random guy With long hairy leggs and long hair/beard shows up and says he's the Next final prophet... If anyone knows the answer please tell me. I will Call him Mismu=Mosses+Jesus/Isa+Mohamme d, I might say he is the child of those Three ^^. Or a Hippster Version of them, who knows, the thought is scary another wave of those would make them The Freaky Four.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 7 min yehoshooah adam 3,788
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min 15th Dalai Lama 70,136
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 59 min John 30,135
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 11 hr Evilgelicalling 460
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 hr superwilly 258,471
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 20 hr Eagle 12 12,674
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Wed superwilly 579
More from around the web