Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21385 Feb 21, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
as things stand, the onus is on believers to prove God exists because its is you asking us to beleieve in the fantastical
If there are gods and their existence proven some day, it will be by those gods or by scientists, not faith based thinkers..

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21386 Feb 21, 2014
Thinking wrote:
We know for sure there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
You know no such thing.

Your concept of suffering in the near term is inadequate for drawing a definite eternal conclusion about the component of compassion.

Seeing a surgeon slice into a patient with a knife, in the short view, appears lacking of compassion.

You claim to know more than you know. You only have an opinion.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#21387 Feb 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

Faith is a mental illness.
That's an absurd statement.

Science is deeply immersed in faith.

"We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent being toward God. We see a universe marvellously arranged and obeying certain laws, but only dimly understand those laws. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations.

-- Albert Einstein, in a 1929 interview, in Denis Brian, Einstein: A Life (NY: J. Wiley, 1996), p. 186

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#21388 Feb 21, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Give me evidence, peer reviewed, and I'll believe in a god because I respect the scientific method.
But I know it can't be an all powerful and compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering. So I wouldn't worship it, I'd petition it to behave better.
<quoted text>
God sent me this message for you:

"Thanks, Tinkling. But if you know better than me, why am I God and you some doofus posting on the internet?"

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21389 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Seeing a surgeon slice into a patient with a knife, in the short view, appears lacking of compassion.
Should I think that a tsumani killing 300 000, men, women, children, and babies is like "a surgeon slice into a patient with a knife" ?
By the way, your surgeon is a butcher, real surgeons use sterilised scalpels

Charlie's

#21390 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
"Thanks, Tinkling. But if you know better than me, why am I God and you some doofus posting on the internet?"
Message I wipe my ass with
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21391 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You know no such thing.
Your concept of suffering in the near term is inadequate for drawing a definite eternal conclusion about the component of compassion.
How compassionate is it to burn someone for all eternity unless they worship you unquestioningly?
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21392 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you find it easier to attribute the voices you hear in your head to god?
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21393 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If God knows better than me, why is He unable to use the internet?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#21394 Feb 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Science, mathematics and pure reason all support the idea that god are unnecessary and/or unlikely.
And it is unnecessary to invoke Stephen Hawking for the existence of his books on physics.

They created themselves from nothing by the natural law of supply and demand.

I dispute your conclusion that science, math, and reason yield a universe without a creating intelligence. Science is inductive, and must rely on probabilities. We have one universe with data, and science knows of no other. Multiple universes are imagined, but are only that - imagination. They are convenient imaginings for equations previously imagined.

Taking what knowledge and reason we have, it is not more probable that our universe, which runs on laws coincident with intelligence, was caused by unintelligent chance, out of chaos, and ultimately, out of nothing. As knowledge and reason now operate, the higher probability is that the universe is intelligently designed.

Physical events in the universe are preceded by the intelligent laws that govern and order them. Otherwise, there would be chaos, or nothing.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#21395 Feb 21, 2014
You are wrong.

I am right.

If a god can't design out your "near term suffering" it isn't all powerful and compassionate.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You know no such thing.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21396 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And it is unnecessary to invoke Stephen Hawking for the existence of his books on physics.
They created themselves from nothing by the natural law of supply and demand.
I dispute your conclusion that science, math, and reason yield a universe without a creating intelligence. Science is inductive, and must rely on probabilities. We have one universe with data, and science knows of no other. Multiple universes are imagined, but are only that - imagination. They are convenient imaginings for equations previously imagined.
Taking what knowledge and reason we have, it is not more probable that our universe, which runs on laws coincident with intelligence, was caused by unintelligent chance, out of chaos, and ultimately, out of nothing. As knowledge and reason now operate, the higher probability is that the universe is intelligently designed.
Physical events in the universe are preceded by the intelligent laws that govern and order them. Otherwise, there would be chaos, or nothing.
You seem to be claiming that because physics has set rules, the universe must have been designed by someone but you've done absolutely nothing to back up that assertion.

Does that mean you believe your god was designed by a bigger god?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21398 Feb 21, 2014
The Danes have their priorities right on this question....
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europ...

Charlie's

#21399 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
We have one universe with data, and science knows of no other. Multiple universes are imagined, but are only that - imagination. They are convenient imaginings for equations previously imagined.
A creator God is also produce of imagination
Buck Crick wrote:
Taking what knowledge and reason we have, it is not more probable that our universe, which runs on laws coincident with intelligence, was caused by unintelligent chance, out of chaos, and ultimately, out of nothing.
Chaos is not nothing. Science tells us that Earth is the result of two bodies collision,
result of chaotic motions
Buck Crick wrote:
As knowledge and reason now operate, the higher probability is that the universe is intelligently designed.
Intelligent designed to bring all life on earth to an end, for instance
Buck Crick wrote:
Such as spiral galaxies colliding and finishing a elliptical galaxies where stars motions are chaotic, therefore with your flawed vocabulary and logic, just nothing

Charlie's

#21400 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
God sent me this message for you:(..)
He can send message directly without you, that would be more credible and efficient

By the way, we care people with messages from God in lunatic asylum
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21401 Feb 21, 2014
Religion in retreat in Ireland too...
http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/ireland-turning...

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#21402 Feb 21, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You are wrong.
I am right.
If a god can't design out your "near term suffering" it isn't all powerful and compassionate.
<quoted text>
No, you are wrong. You are not all-knowing.

You don't know whether there is compassionate reason for allowing near term suffering, or whether it is less compassionate or more compassionate than not allowing it. You only know your perception of it.

You can form an honest opinion from your perception, but the inherent limits of that perception prohibit the definitive knowledge you claim here.

Therefore, your claim to this definitive knowledge is a lie, unless you can demonstrate that you are omniscient.

I don't think you can. I think you are lying.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#21403 Feb 21, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
He can send message directly without you, that would be more credible and efficient
By the way, we care people with messages from God in lunatic asylum
I will pass on your lecture to God on efficiency and credibility. I'm sure He has heard it before, however. He usually comes back with something like photosynthesis or the stucture of the atom as a retort. Then says "show me what you can do".

By the way, I have already done my time in the lunatic asylum. The government closed it down, but not until they had used electroshock and experimental anti-psychotic drugs on me.

Gave me lockjaw and night vision for 6 months. A wristwatch still doesn't work when I wear it.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#21404 Feb 21, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be claiming that because physics has set rules, the universe must have been designed by someone but you've done absolutely nothing to back up that assertion.
Does that mean you believe your god was designed by a bigger god?
I made no such claim. Just read the posts you are capable of understanding.

Charlie's

#21405 Feb 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
No, you are wrong. You are not all-knowing.
Nobody is all-knowing.

But none among the believers can deny this: God is a humane concept

and

as errare humanum est,
thus belief in God can be a mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 39 min Eagle 12 - 79,975
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr River Tam 32,582
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 15 hr blacklagoon 3 62
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Wed The pope 258,485
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web