Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#21365 Feb 21, 2014
The Danes have their priorities right in this case....
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europ...

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21366 Feb 21, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the most despicable part of his religion.
It applies to christians just as much.

Buddha goes to hell and burns for all eternity because he had a different belief system, Hitler can go to heaven as long as he confesses to a preist before he dies.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#21367 Feb 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you still talking about science?
It's not trusted science just because a lab has had something published.
But once an idea has gone through the full vetting process, which takes decades or longer, and the work has been repeated, has never been contradicted, remains consistent with other findings, and has generated fruitful predictions of its own and/or suggested other fruitful avenues of research, it is established as a fact that can only be added to, not contradicted.
"Many scientific theories are so well-established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory)... Like these other foundational scientific theories, the theory of evolution is supported by so many observations and confirming experiments that scientists are confident that the basic components of the theory will not be overturned by new evidence." http://www.nationalacademies.org/evolution/Th...
About you and your science pronouncements: Science is not a hobby that untrained people can successfully dabble in. It is a body of ideas, methods and habits of thought that takes years of concentrated study and training at the university level to appreciate, let alone do. For someone like you that asks the most naive questions about science to challenge it is ludicrous. You wrote this: "Why are we so Advanced ! mentally we defy the laws of evolution ! Our minds are thousands of years ahead of our basic need to survive !"
You clearly don't understand even the most fundamental ideas underlying evolution. You might as well be criticizing the blueprints and calculations for a proposed suspension bridge. You wouldn't sound any more ridiculous.
Yes I am still on about science :) Where did you ever get the idea from that evolution will never be challenged ? You have taken a huge leap in faith if you were to believe that to be true ! Science has altered many of its theories ! At this moment in time science is being challenged about its theories about the universe ! You just have to look at what our sun is doing at the moment and the Pole star to realize there are a lot of scientists now scratching their heads ! 2o years ago it was thought impossible that another Earth like planet will be found capable of supporting life , Now they are finding them in the thousands ! Dinosaurs went from all having a reptilian type of skin to some may of had feathers ! There are just too many changes in the beliefs of science over the past 30 years "never more so than now " to believe that there theories will not change yet again ! Cell theory,heliocentric theory, Gravity are a given, But they were at a basic level to understand and prove, Science is trying to commit to a much higher level than it can possibly prove at this moment ! Just because you can put a band-aid on a cut does not mean you can perform a heart transplant !
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21368 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I am still on about science :) Where did you ever get the idea from that evolution will never be challenged ? You have taken a huge leap in faith if you were to believe that to be true ! Science has altered many of its theories ! At this moment in time science is being challenged about its theories about the universe ! You just have to look at what our sun is doing at the moment and the Pole star to realize there are a lot of scientists now scratching their heads ! 2o years ago it was thought impossible that another Earth like planet will be found capable of supporting life , Now they are finding them in the thousands ! Dinosaurs went from all having a reptilian type of skin to some may of had feathers ! There are just too many changes in the beliefs of science over the past 30 years "never more so than now " to believe that there theories will not change yet again ! Cell theory,heliocentric theory, Gravity are a given, But they were at a basic level to understand and prove, Science is trying to commit to a much higher level than it can possibly prove at this moment ! Just because you can put a band-aid on a cut does not mean you can perform a heart transplant !
Yes, science adapts as we expand our knowledge. It gets more worthwhile all the time.

Religious dogma stays the same though, despite human advancement. It gets more worthless all the time.

You complain that science doesn't have all the answers yet religion doesn't have any. That's just willful ignorance.
trandiode

#21369 Feb 21, 2014
Pure Logic ( Believe it or not) gives merit for the belief in a God, Science is the Atheists only defense and shield they can use against the belief in a god, But in reality Science is very much more likely to be their Achilles heel ! To believe that what your five senses tells you is all that can be, must certainly have you constantly questioning your own experiences in life ! What is real and what is not ? Depends on your own experiences in life does it not ?
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21370 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Pure Logic ( Believe it or not) gives merit for the belief in a God, Science is the Atheists only defense and shield they can use against the belief in a god, But in reality Science is very much more likely to be their Achilles heel ! To believe that what your five senses tells you is all that can be, must certainly have you constantly questioning your own experiences in life ! What is real and what is not ? Depends on your own experiences in life does it not ?
You've repeatedly seen logic used to disprove the existence of god.

Please give us all a laugh at your attempt to use logic to even suggest there may be a god.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21371 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Irrespective of Science, there is still no evdience of God. You say Logic gives merit to belief in God. How so?

Its the same childish logic that gives merit to a belief in Santa Claus.

It is word of mouth handed down from generation to generation. No evidence just regurgitated dogma.
trandiode

#21372 Feb 21, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, science adapts as we expand our knowledge. It gets more worthwhile all the time.
Religious dogma stays the same though, despite human advancement. It gets more worthless all the time.
You complain that science doesn't have all the answers yet religion doesn't have any. That's just willful ignorance.
I do not complain that Science does not have all the answers ! It is just a fact I put forward that Atheists refuse to believe ! As you say science adapts as it expands in knowledge, who knows one day in the far distant future they may have to adapt to there being a God :)! Human advancement is a double edged sword, some advances are for the good of Mankind and some are not ! Religious belief is a constant, its effects are as relevant and as powerful today as they were thousands of years ago !
trandiode

#21373 Feb 21, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrespective of Science, there is still no evdience of God..
LOL what a contradiction !
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21374 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> I do not complain that Science does not have all the answers ! It is just a fact I put forward that Atheists refuse to believe ! As you say science adapts as it expands in knowledge, who knows one day in the far distant future they may have to adapt to there being a God :)! Human advancement is a double edged sword, some advances are for the good of Mankind and some are not ! Religious belief is a constant, its effects are as relevant and as powerful today as they were thousands of years ago !
So you're claiming that it's completely relevant today that women are made out of a mans rib rather than growing from the joining of sperm and ova?

It's relevant we should stone to death anyone with a different belief system to us?

How about contraception? The bible doesn't say a thing about it, it might not even have existed 3,000 years ago except through encouraging a miscarriage and yet today christian missionaries teach that condoms do nothing, thus encouraging the spread of AIDS, a disease which definately didn't exist back then.

Religion teaches us a moral code, the one they used in the dark ages. We've come on leaps and bounds since then.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21375 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever existed.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21376 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> LOL what a contradiction !
You said that Atheists use science as a safety net.

What I'm saying is that i'm not a Scientist, but common sense would dictate that I should not believe anything that I have no way substantiating.

Do I believe that Obama is a reptillian overlord? No, I don't. Because I have no proof, but there are thousands of people who do belive it.

Do I believe that we are aliens called thetans who have lived on other planets before living on Earth? No, i don't. But thousands of scientologists do

Anyone can make outrageous claims.Backing them up with facts and figures is what they can't do. And thats where science comes in

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21377 Feb 21, 2014
MUQ wrote:
They have themselves to blame for what choice they made. Any why should you worry about others? What about You? Brother First save yourself then others!!
You've managed to capture the self-centered and blameful nature of your religion inspired worldview in just a few short words, with judgment and retribution implied.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21378 Feb 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
In that case, you might expect to find evidence of multiple personalities. I was noting that I can't find evidence for one.
I did notice that sometimes, posts were argumentals and that at other times, it was just quotes of Quran ou Hadiths,
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#21379 Feb 21, 2014
We know for sure there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.

If there is a god, I still wouldn't worship it.
trandiode wrote:
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21380 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>who knows one day in the far distant future they may have to adapt to there being a God :)!
I can't speak for other Atheists, but this is what I've always believed. In fact, I think Richard Dawkins has a similar attitude.

But as things stand, the onus is on believers to prove God exists because its is you asking us to beleieve in the fantastical

Believers may have to consider the fact they might be wrong too.

Fennario

#21381 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Where did you ever get the idea from that evolution will never be challenged ?
I don't have that idea. You're challenging evolution now, aren't you?

I quoted a piece that said that it would never be overturned.
trandiode wrote:
You have taken a huge leap in faith if you were to believe that to be true !
Does that mean you approve?

Anyway, it's adorable when a faith based thinker uses faith as an accusation:

“I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out,“Atheism is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.”- Amanda Marcotte
trandiode wrote:
Science has altered many of its theories !
That's its strength. It hasn't overturned any scientific theory
trandiode wrote:
At this moment in time science is being challenged about its theories about the universe !
By whom? Sports?

Science challenges itself. Nobody else is qualified. Nobody else has a vote
trandiode wrote:
2o years ago it was thought impossible that another Earth like planet will be found capable of supporting life ,
Nonsense.
trandiode wrote:
Dinosaurs went from all having a reptilian type of skin to some may of had feathers ! There are just too many changes in the beliefs of science over the past 30 years "never more so than now " to believe that there theories will not change yet again !
This is why you should be mute about science. You aren't knowledgeable enough about it to even be called a dabbler

Fennario

#21382 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Pure Logic ( Believe it or not) gives merit for the belief in a God
Wrong. Science, mathematics and pure reason all support the idea that god are unnecessary and/or unlikely.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#21383 Feb 21, 2014
Give me evidence, peer reviewed, and I'll believe in a god because I respect the scientific method.

But I know it can't be an all powerful and compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering. So I wouldn't worship it, I'd petition it to behave better.
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for other Atheists, but this is what I've always believed. In fact, I think Richard Dawkins has a similar attitude.
But as things stand, the onus is on believers to prove God exists because its is you asking us to beleieve in the fantastical
Believers may have to consider the fact they might be wrong too.

Fennario

#21384 Feb 21, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Religious belief is a constant, its effects are as relevant and as powerful today as they were thousands of years ago !
Faith is a mental illness. Look at how far divorced from reality you are.

Your religion changes constantly to keep up with the pronouncements of science and humanistic ethics. Most of your bible's commandments are ignored even by the faithful, and most of its myths being called allegories or metaphors.

Isn't it about time for another Testament or covenant or something?.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Into The Night 93,373
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 18 hr blacklagoon 3 78
News American Atheists terminates its president over... Fri Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048