Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21324 Feb 19, 2014
MUQ wrote:
Rise in standard of living and advances in science and technology are not being able to solve the basic problem.
Progress in the physical, biological and social sciences has made life better today for a greater percentage of people than it has ever been before in history. If we had listened to the priests, we would still be praying for help that never comes.
MUQ wrote:
That is why, unless you have belief in accountability of humans, that does not end with you life, but starts when you die, that is the belief which transforms you from inside.
Nonsense. Such beliefs transform people into monsters.
MUQ wrote:
What is happening in Many Muslim countries is only because people do not really believe in this personal accountability, even though they say it with their tongue.
Then your religion has failed.
MUQ wrote:
How can any one who believes in Hereafter will knowingly kill innocent humans?
Are you serious? "Kill them all and let God sort them out" Ever heard it?
MUQ wrote:
God is Just and He is Creator of Both Muslims and Non Muslims. He will judge and call to account every one.
The god you worship is a monster as well, just like the Christian god.

The world will be better when religion has run its course and begins fading like a brown dwarf.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21325 Feb 19, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, topix , doesn't seem to have the diversity , it once had. What ever happened to yellowdog.
No idea.

There used to be a few thoughtful theists here and there, but they've mostly vamoosed-- likely been driven off by the rabid godbots.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21326 Feb 19, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the kind words, Bob, and the added insights regarding this poster.
If there are mental illness issues, then appealing to his sense of decency is likely pointless. Still, I don't think that bad behavior should get a pass.
Why do these people gravitate to religion, and what part does faith based thought play in the formation of these cognitive defects? I cannot say, but the range and distribution of personalities among the faithful is distressing, and suggests a role for faith based thinking to me, which is just wishing. Looked at from that perspective, don't we all have a duty to speak against this scourge?
I've always wondered which it was?

Is it that the practice of faith (believing in bullshyt) eventually damages your mind to the point of personality disorder?

Or is it that the personality disorder happens first, and these sorts of damaged people are ill equipped to refute the lure of faith-based non-thought?

I think it's more the latter, than the former-- after all, a great many of history's thinkers were saddled with a faith-based culture, and managed *in*spite* of that handicap, to think their way around quite well enough.

If faith really were the damaging vector, then that wouldn't happen much, would it?

No, I think it's just that religion finds a welcome home in the mind of anyone who is seriously damaged already.

And since religion is fundamentally illogical? It is absolutely zero help for these damaged individuals-- they can live with mental dis-functionality **within** religion as easily as without.

Religion literally has no tools to help them past their inadequacies.

Fennario

#21327 Feb 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
I've always wondered which it was? Is it that the practice of faith (believing in bullshyt) eventually damages your mind to the point of personality disorder? Or is it that the personality disorder happens first, and these sorts of damaged people are ill equipped to refute the lure of faith-based non-thought?

I think it's more the latter, than the former-- after all, a great many of history's thinkers were saddled with a faith-based culture, and managed *in*spite* of that handicap, to think their way around quite well enough. If faith really were the damaging vector, then that wouldn't happen much, would it? No, I think it's just that religion finds a welcome home in the mind of anyone who is seriously damaged already. And since religion is fundamentally illogical? It is absolutely zero help for these damaged individuals-- they can live with mental dis-functionality **within** religion as easily as without. Religion literally has no tools to help them past their inadequacies.
Good post, although the faithful didn't seem to approve of our speculating about them.

So sorry, faithful. There appears to be no way to discuss the things you don't approve of without offending you to the point of flinging feces, which appears to be any challenge to faith, superstition, theistic ethics, god beliefs, or the supernatural and magical thinking - I'm sure a few are incensed just with that - so there's no reason to try.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21328 Feb 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Good post, although the faithful didn't seem to approve of our speculating about them.
So sorry, faithful. There appears to be no way to discuss the things you don't approve of without offending you to the point of flinging feces, which appears to be any challenge to faith, superstition, theistic ethics, god beliefs, or the supernatural and magical thinking - I'm sure a few are incensed just with that - so there's no reason to try.
Yes, there is an OCD faith-head who thinks it's his mission in life, to ICON my posts.

It is quite lovely-- that I have **got** to him so much, that he feels this is needful.

What a wasted life he has.

:D

(but I chuckle at it every time I see them)
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21329 Feb 19, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
does your religion grant such rights?
Yes it grants such rights to every one. No human soul is to be killed unless by due process of law.
Spider

Ely, UK

#21330 Feb 20, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it grants such rights to every one. No human soul is to be killed unless by due process of law.
That would be sharia law in your part of the world would it not,, were you and your fellows think it okay to stone women, kill non believers by beheading,,, oh and lets not forget child rape and abuse.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21331 Feb 20, 2014
Read wrote:
01. If someone gets their morality from other sources, what then?

Both Christianity and islam say that a Buddhist monk will burn in hell for all eternity for not believing in their version of god. Even though the Buddhist has such reverence for life that he sweeps the ground before he walks on it in order to avoid killing even a single insect.

In fact in Catholicism the Buddhist would go to hell yet someone like Hitler would go to heaven as long as they confessed to a priest before they died.

Morality clearly isn't an issue for that god, merely that he be worshipped.

Science tells us the universe is 13 and a bit billion years old and was created instantaneously. The religious tell us it wasn't. Science has evidence for their assertions.

Just like the question of where everything came from you are also deliberately running away from the question of when it all started. You say it is irrelevant, yet clearly it is fundamental.

Are there any other gods? Sadly there are billions, each being slightly different and each existing only in the mind of an individual believer. Every believer has a different concept of god. I asked what yours was and you were apparently unwilling to say.

Why do you refuse to say what you beleive? Is it because Saudi has religious police?
Ans.

01. Morality by itself does not provide you full solution to your problem. There are lot of moral teachings spread in every religion.

What is needed is to Worship True God of the Universe and do not associate any partners with Him and do not worship false gods or idols etc.

I do not say who will go to hell and who will not, it is for God to decide. What Christians say, you should ask them.

Quran says that Allah shall not forgive the sin of associating anything else with worship of Allah and all other sins He will forgive if He will.

What I said was that every morality we see in the world is because of religions, because they provide a base for it.

Without religion there is no basis of any morality, it is just a tit for tat affair.

2. Science has no proof that Universe was created exactly 13 billion years ago, they keep on changing dates according to what info they get.

Why should I tell you exactly when it started? In which way it would solve your problem, the basic thing is that, the Universe is a Created thing.

No there are no two Gods in this Universe, people have different ways of calling Him and some misconception because of corruptions and distortions in their original scriptures.

What I believe is what Quran and our prophet, peace be on him, teaches us. What Saudi Religious police has to do with it?

Fennario

#21332 Feb 20, 2014
MUQ wrote:
every morality we see in the world is because of religions, because they provide a base for it. Without religion there is no basis of any morality, it is just a tit for tat affair.
Nonsense.

In my part of the world, authentic morality had to wait for Christianity to lose control of governments, and for humanists to begin making much of it illegal. Christian morality included slavery, torture, and executions for such victimless crimes as impiety, blasphemy and heresy. Humanists forbade it.

In your part of the world, authentic morality is just beginning to creep in with the advent of a few secular states. I understand that Tunisia may be habitable now.

Charlie's

#21333 Feb 20, 2014
In my part of the world, authentic morality had to wait for Christianity to lose control of governments, and for humanists to begin making much of it illegal. Christian morality included slavery, torture, and executions for such victimless crimes as impiety, blasphemy and heresy. Humanists forbade it.
In your part of the world, authentic morality is just beginning to creep in with the advent of a few secular states. I understand that Tunisia may be habitable now.
MUQ stands for Muslim Under Quran, not aiming at any rational debate, they just want to spread Islam, thus repeating the same so-called undiscutable truth and get peoples submitted to the words of some delirious self-calling prophet.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21334 Feb 20, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Morality by itself does not provide you full solution to your problem. There are lot of moral teachings spread in every religion.
What is needed is to Worship True God of the Universe and do not associate any partners with Him and do not worship false gods or idols etc.
I do not say who will go to hell and who will not, it is for God to decide. What Christians say, you should ask them.
Quran says that Allah shall not forgive the sin of associating anything else with worship of Allah and all other sins He will forgive if He will.
What I said was that every morality we see in the world is because of religions, because they provide a base for it.
Without religion there is no basis of any morality, it is just a tit for tat affair.
2. Science has no proof that Universe was created exactly 13 billion years ago, they keep on changing dates according to what info they get.
Why should I tell you exactly when it started? In which way it would solve your problem, the basic thing is that, the Universe is a Created thing.
No there are no two Gods in this Universe, people have different ways of calling Him and some misconception because of corruptions and distortions in their original scriptures.
What I believe is what Quran and our prophet, peace be on him, teaches us. What Saudi Religious police has to do with it?
So in other words you think the ghandi should burn in hell but Osama Bin Laden goes to heaven and gets lots of virgins.

Yet you claim without religion there is no basis for morality.

That makes you sound like a murderous psychopath who has zero concept of what morality even is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21335 Feb 20, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
MUQ stands for Muslim Under Quran, not aiming at any rational debate, they just want to spread Islam, thus repeating the same so-called undiscutable truth and get peoples submitted to the words of some delirious self-calling prophet.
Indeed. MUQ clearly has no ability to actually think for himself.

He's essentially a human parrot, repeating the lies he was indoctrinated with, all without a single original thought of his own.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21336 Feb 20, 2014
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
This last election cycle has pushed the limits of what's possible, immorality-wise.

The TeaPublicans have pushed to the very limit, their misogyny, their bigotry, their hate of anyone who is *not* a Rich Old-Money White Guy, that they are finally seeing a welcome push-back.

They managed to fool many of the True Believers™ by waiving the "god" flag, but even those dimwitted folk are finally beginning to come around and smell the victims burning (it's them).

I see a sweep of the House, next cycle.

Interesting Times.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21337 Feb 20, 2014
I should also note that if the only sin allah can't forgive is not believing in him, Mohammed doesn't go to heaven.

After all, the guy who started the muslim faith obviously believed something else before he started it.

No Virgins for him, or any of the prophets who are supposed to have come before him. No virgins for Buddha or Ghandi, plenty for Osama Bin Laden.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21338 Feb 20, 2014
I can read wrote:
I should also note that if the only sin allah can't forgive is not believing in him, Mohammed doesn't go to heaven.
After all, the guy who started the muslim faith obviously believed something else before he started it.
No Virgins for him, or any of the prophets who are supposed to have come before him. No virgins for Buddha or Ghandi, plenty for Osama Bin Laden.
Yes, but it does not specify the **gender** of these ... "virgins"... does it?

Nor does it specify the quality of their abilities (if any)....

Charlie's

#21339 Feb 20, 2014
He's essentially a human parrot, repeating the lies he was indoctrinated with, all without a single original thought of his own.
He isn't anybody, it's a whole team of brainwashed guys operating from some saudi madrasa

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#21340 Feb 20, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
He isn't anybody, it's a whole team of brainwashed guys operating from some saudi madrasa
An hypothesis I had not considered.

Very astute of you.

And not a little disturbing-- to imagine so many people, so very deluded in exactly the same way...

Charlie's

#21341 Feb 20, 2014
An hypothesis I had not considered.
Very astute of you.
And not a little disturbing-- to imagine so many people, so very deluded in exactly the same way...
I suspected such an organisation seeing little number of peoples who post messages while every message we post has so much desapproval symbols.
abc

UK

#21342 Feb 20, 2014
all nonsense

Fennario

#21343 Feb 20, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
That's the way it seems. He posts like he's software.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Regolith Based Li... 93,375
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 23 hr blacklagoon 3 78
News American Atheists terminates its president over... Fri Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048