Losing The Flock

Aug 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Beast

Atheists are now 13% of the world population, according to WIN-Gallup's recent poll, the Global Index of Religion and Atheism 2012 , African Americans and Hispanics like crazy, but [the] non-religious+atheist crowd is larger than those three groups combined ."

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Judged:

There is hope for humanity, so long as this trend away from superstitious nonsense continues.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Judged:

Moving away from the Dark Ages has led Western countries away from the outdated superstitious beliefs. It's mainly organized religions that causes peoples' ignorance and 'sheep mentality' as they are businesses that are there to control the masses.

In the developing countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines, religion is still the centre of daily life for most people in those countries, which keeps many in the Dark Ages. In order for these countries to progress, more people need to move away from religion as it hinders the intellectual progress. Ireland only became a fully developed country 30 years ago. Prior to that, many Irish were very devout Catholic followers but now, more are now becoming more educated as their schooling system has been boosted en par with the rest of Western Europe. Common sense is what every nation needs. Freethinkers are one of the keys to get countries out of the Dark Ages.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

EdSed wrote:
http://sanaledamaruku.blogspot .co.uk/
Religion is declining everywhere in the face of education and science, but there's trouble for some atheists and freethinkers around the world - and not just Russia's P Riot. Greece, Malawi and Indonesia have been in the International Humanist and Ethical News recently..
http://www.iheu.org/
In Eastern Europe, more people are leaving religion as their economies rises. In Czech Republic and Poland, more people are becoming more career-minded as education improves. The rising middle class tends to focus more on work, financial goals and retirement.

Places such as Indonesia, Sudan and other less-developed countries will take a few more generations before you see a movement away from religion.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
....Places such as Indonesia, Sudan and other less-developed countries will take a few more generations before you see a movement away from religion.
I don't know about that. Perhaps people underestimate the communication revolution through which we are living?

Many people in less-developed countries have access to the Internet and are more rapidly influenced than in the past. I think religion may become a minority sport around the world faster than many can currently imagine.

This is interesting regarding the RC Church..
http://www.economist.com/node/21560536

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know about that. Perhaps people underestimate the communication revolution through which we are living?
Many people in less-developed countries have access to the Internet and are more rapidly influenced than in the past. I think religion may become a minority sport around the world faster than many can currently imagine.
This is interesting regarding the RC Church..
http://www.economist.com/node/21560536
I see where you are coming from. But with less-developed countries, the majority of people don't have much access to the Internet. Even if they did, their mindset is still firmly inclined to religion as their education systems are linked with the Church, Mosque etc. Many people in the Philippines still oppose facts and opinions outside the Catholic faith. Their life is centred by the Catholic religion and many aspects of their culture is very much influenced by it such as celebrating Christmas at the start of December, devoting the days to Jesus till the 25th of December.

These countries need to expand their middle class in order for them to think more outside of religion.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Yep ... it's definitely time to get the flock out of here!

Flock It.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••