In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story
Cool Hand Luke

Scranton, PA

#9974 May 24, 2012
Homosexuals attack the Salvation Army

‘Gay’ Activists Go ‘Grinch’ in Holiday Boycott of Salvation Army

Written by Dave Bohon
Friday, 02 December 2011 08:30

Salvation ArmyIt has been a holiday tradition for as long as anyone can remembers: Salvation Army bell-ringers standing at the entrances of stores and malls, their red kettles at the ready, beckoning for shoppers to drop in their spare change or a few dollars for those less fortunate. And, for the past few years, it has become a tradition for homosexuals activists to bang their drums of grievance in a call for friends, enablers, and fellow “gays” to boycott the compassionate Christian organization for what they argue is “anti-gay” discrimination.
This year is no exception, as such news sources as USA Today and MSNBC have picked up on the efforts of Bil Browning, the leading voice in the Grinch-like campaign against Salvation Army. On his blog site, a clearinghouse of sorts for homosexual news, commentary, and camp, Browning challenges his readers to skip donating to the worthy charity in favor of one “that doesn’t actively discriminate against the LGBT community.”
Browning charges that the Christian group — which has been helping the homeless and helpless around the world since General William Booth began ministering to the down-and outers in London’s east end back in 1865 —“has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians. While you might think you’re helping the hungry and homeless by dropping a few dollars in the bright red buckets, not everyone can share in the donations. Many LGBT people are rejected by the evangelical church charity because they’re ‘sexually impure.’”
Browning’s biggest beef is the denomination’s biblically inspired stand on homosexuality, which declares:“Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage.”

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9975 May 24, 2012
Skitz wrote:
<quoted text>
*Tries to remove pictures from mind*
Yes I think some people have romantic ideas of what it's like in the UK. It certainly doesn't have the same level of religious participation as the US. Nor does it have the same level of fanaticism with the people who do believe.
Strange how it's turned out like that.

Yet America with its supposedly secular set up is practically drowning in Christianity.

Must be one of the benefits of not having a constitution.
Cool Hand Luke

Scranton, PA

#9976 May 24, 2012
Of course, as an organization committed to Christian compassion, the Salvation Army makes its services available to “all who qualify, without regard to sexual orientation”— meaning that it employs no “gay” litmus test before helping the hurting. But in his diatribe Browning insists that the group callously denies “LGBT people services unless they renounce their sexuality, end same-sex relationships, or, in some cases, attend services ‘open to all who confess Christ as Savior and who accept and abide by The Salvation Army’s doctrine and discipline.’ In other words, if you’re gay or lesbian, you don’t qualify.”
Browning claims to have experienced the Salvation Army’s “discrimination” firsthand, recalling:“When a former boyfriend and I were homeless, the Salvation Army insisted we break up before they’d offer assistance. We slept on the street instead and declined to break up as they demanded.”
Finally, Browning implies that the Salvation Army uses some of its red kettle moneys to lobby “governments worldwide for anti-gay policies— including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal.”
In response to the senseless campaign, Major George Hood, the Salvation Army’s National Community Relations director, said Browning’s charges were baseless, noting that the group reaches out with the love of Christ to all needy people — including those struggling with homosexuality.“The position of the Salvation Army is very clear that we preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and we meet human needs without discrimination.“We know that there are people who come to us from the gay community and they are served the same as anyone else because sexual orientation is not a question we would ever ask.”
Nonetheless, he said, his group had no intention of diluting its biblical beliefs just to appease homosexual protesters.“The Salvation Army and the gay community are never going to come to an agreement on the topic,” Hood told the Christian Post.
As to the charge that the Salvation Army dips into its red kettles to fund international lobbying efforts, Hood said that would be impossible, since all funds stay in the local communities where they are collected.“No money from the red kettles comes to the national headquarters.“It stays in the community were the money is being raised and it’s being used to fund the social service work of the Salvation Army in that community, first of all for the Christmas season, making sure that children have toys and warm clothing, that the family has food on the table, that the heating bill is paid, that there’s housing available. That’s what the Christmas campaign is all about and it’s been that way for 120 years.”
Despite the inaccuracies that make up the bulk of Browning’s grudge campaign, it has gotten some minor traction in the homosexual community. According to USA Today, a Facebook page titled Boycott the Salvation Army had generated more than 3,100 “Likes” by December 1. And a spokesman for the Chicago-based Gay Liberation Network told the Christian Post that his group was asking people “to boycott the Salvation Army and instead give to non-sectarian agencies because it uses its selective interpretation of the Bible to promote discrimination against LGBT people in employment benefits and leadership positions within the Army.”
While homosexuals have made boycotting the Salvation Army a holiday tradition all their own, Major Hood told the Christian Post that it has had little impact on giving by the millions of people of good will who drop their dimes and dollars into the tens of thousands of red kettles around the nation. In fact, over the past two or three years, the group has enjoyed record giving, raising $142 million last year alone, a five percent increase over the previous year.
Hood added that the misdirected campaign by a small group of homosexuals was unfortunate, especially for those in need.“If people refuse to give,” he said,“it’s the poor and people in need that will suffer.”

Nottingham, UK

#9977 May 24, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, of course. I don't know why we're having that conversation, let alone why barefoot takes the position that he does.
I think with barefoot it's very much a case of picking the most ludicrous idea he can think of and then post obsessively in support of said idea.

Nottingham, UK

#9978 May 24, 2012
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
‘Gay’ Activists Go ‘Grinch’ in Holiday Boycott of Salvation Army
Written by Dave Bohon
Friday, 02 December 2011 08:30
Salvation ArmyIt has been a holiday tradition for as long as anyone can remembers: Salvation Army bell-ringers standing at the entrances of stores and malls, their red kettles at the ready, beckoning for shoppers to drop in their spare change or a few dollars for those less fortunate. And, for the past few years, it has become a tradition for homosexuals activists to bang their drums of grievance in a call for friends, enablers, and fellow “gays” to boycott the compassionate Christian organization for what they argue is “anti-gay” discrimination.
This year is no exception, as such news sources as USA Today and MSNBC have picked up on the efforts of Bil Browning, the leading voice in the Grinch-like campaign against Salvation Army. On his blog site, a clearinghouse of sorts for homosexual news, commentary, and camp, Browning challenges his readers to skip donating to the worthy charity in favor of one “that doesn’t actively discriminate against the LGBT community.”
Browning charges that the Christian group — which has been helping the homeless and helpless around the world since General William Booth began ministering to the down-and outers in London’s east end back in 1865 —“has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians. While you might think you’re helping the hungry and homeless by dropping a few dollars in the bright red buckets, not everyone can share in the donations. Many LGBT people are rejected by the evangelical church charity because they’re ‘sexually impure.’”
Browning’s biggest beef is the denomination’s biblically inspired stand on homosexuality, which declares:“Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage.”
I agree

Check this clip out - you'll love it.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#9979 May 24, 2012
Brenda Lee Johnson wrote:
Homosexuals Bully The Boy Scouts
Brenda Lee.

You tarnish the name of a fine singer.

The Catcher White sheet has been drawn over you, from 35,000 feet no less.

You no longer exist.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#9981 May 24, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
About the same way any rational person would say that Oscar Wilde wasn't "morally straight and clean in thought, word and deed." They both have/had a predisposition to buggering young men.
Well then obviously the Scouts will lose, because there is no link between an individual and a group. Hopefully you are not their attorney.

United States

#9982 May 24, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, isn't it?
I'm afraid that barefoot is paddling his own leaky canoe up a very narrow creek.
Very sad.

Very agry person.
Cool Hand Luke

Scranton, PA

#9983 May 24, 2012
Homosexual Man Suing for Right to Donate Blood Donated While Infected with Syphilis

OTTAWA, Ontario,- A homosexual man who is suing Canadian Blood Services (CBS) for the right to donate blood was found to be infected with syphilis and gonorrhea after having lied repeatedly on the questionnaire about his sexual history. An Ottawa court heard the case this week.

CBS launched a suit against Kyle Freeman, 36, for negligent misrepresentation after they found out that he had lied on their form and, through regular blood screening, that he had syphilis.

In response, Freeman has launched his own suit against CBS, alleging that the policy violates his Charter right to equality and that it is scientifically unfounded.

Freedman lied on the CBS questionnaire because, he said, he would have been "blacklisted" from donating henceforth. "Once they found out I was in a same sex relationship, I would not be able to donate blood anymore," he said. "I would be blacklisted."

"I felt my risk was non-existent," he said. "I wanted the blood to be used. I took all the precautions for the blood to be used."

CBS policy prohibits blood donations from any man who has had sex with another man since 1977, in an effort to screen out donors with sexually transmitted diseases, particularly HIV. Relying on blood tests to screen out blood with HIV is dangerous because the disease may not show up in tests for up to three months.

Mr. Freeman says he believes giving blood is the "ultimate gift you can give someone." He gave blood 18 times between 1990 and 2002, relying on his own self-assessment, based on frequent blood tests, that he was not infected.

CBS' lawyer told the court that Freeman's case illustrates how "very dangerous" it is to rely on self-assessment in giving blood. "[The] rigorous donor-screening process is critical in minimizing the possibility that, through error, an infected blood unit will be transfused to a patient," she said.

Freeman's lawyer, Patricia LeFebour, contends that his blood donations have never infected anyone. "There can be no doubt that Mr. Freeman shares the commitment of others to contribute to a safe supply of blood for Canadians who need transfusions of blood components," she said. "His donating, like the donation of many other Canadians, has in fact helped Canadians in need of blood."

The CBS lawsuit followed anonymous e-mails sent to them by Freeman in June 2002, in which he admitted to lying on the questionnaire to "stimulate discussion, research and change." He linked to information that gave evidence of behaviors more risky than male homosexual sex.

While Freeman contends that a ban on men who have had sex with men is scientifically unfounded, a large body of evidence indicates otherwise.

For example, in August, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) announced their estimate that the rate of AIDS is 50 times higher among American homosexual men than in the rest of the population. In 2008, the CDC revealed that approximately 53% of new HIV cases in 2006 were in homosexual men.

Last year, the head of the World Health Organization's HIV/AIDS department, epidemiologist Kevin de Cock, admitted that outside of sub-Saharan Africa there is no pandemic of AIDS amongst heterosexuals, saying it is among homosexual men that the disease is on the rise. Further, the WHO warned earlier this year that it is male homosexual sex that is causing the spread of AIDS in Asia.

Perhaps more shocking, relating to the issue of self-assessment, in 2004 a University of Toronto survey of 5,000 homosexual and bisexual men in Ontario found that 27% of those who had HIV did not know that they were infected.

In 2007, the FDA renewed their ban on blood donations from men who have sex with men, saying, "A history of male-to-male sex is associated with an increased risk for the presence of and transmission of certain infectious diseases, including HIV, the virus that causes AIDS."

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#9984 May 24, 2012
Skitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, the old King-doom. He was an awful king. He was the one who put the water between us and Ireland.
We, on the other hand, are quite pleased at that.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#9985 May 24, 2012
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
The Boy Scouts are entitled to their beliefs, just as Christians are entitled to their beliefs, but homosexuals don't think so!
You are no legal scholar, that's for sure.
There is no group of people who as a whole poses more of a threat to society than homosexuals.
Why do you say that? I see no threats posed by homosexuals at all, and can think of many groups which do.

“Just a very naughty boy.”

Since: Dec 08

Dodge

#9986 May 24, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange how it's turned out like that.
Yet America with its supposedly secular set up is practically drowning in Christianity.
Must be one of the benefits of not having a constitution.
It could be because they feel more threatened in the US. Here its a kind of traditional like st Patricks day. There it isn't a given, it isn't set in stone so they fight back in the most colourful ways.

Yes it ironic.

The weirdest thing I find is that the friends I do have who are believers, or even people I know of that believe would never turn around to anybody and tell them they are going to hell for being homosexual or an atheist. I'm sure there are a few around; I'm not looking through rose spectacles, I just don't tend to bump into them.

“Knowledge is true opinion”

Since: Mar 07

Chesapeake, VA

#9987 May 24, 2012
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
The Boy Scouts are entitled to their beliefs, just as Christians are entitled to their beliefs,
That is absolutely correct.

And the groups and people who fund the Boy Scouts are allowed their beliefs also. Which means if the policies of the Boy Scouts contradict the policies of the individuals or agencies which provide financial support to these troops, that funding can be and has been cut off.

There is no requirement for Boy Scout troops to admit gay or atheist members.

This right was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United states.

United States

#9988 May 24, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post - thanks for that.
Al is putting his day off to good use.

Easy on the beer though Al.

“Knowledge is true opinion”

Since: Mar 07

Chesapeake, VA

#9989 May 24, 2012
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
You really can't have it both ways.

Since private groups are fully within their rights to discriminate against any person or group they decide, then individuals and agencies must have an equal right to point out this discrimination and call for a boycott and/or defunding of the organization.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#9990 May 24, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Nice post - thanks for that.
Agreed.

United States

#9991 May 24, 2012
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
White sheet.(Sock?)

“Just a very naughty boy.”

Since: Dec 08

Dodge

#9992 May 24, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>We, on the other hand, are quite pleased at that.
LOL! Yes I'm sure you were!

I certainly kept the woosy drinkers out of your nation.

The Borderland of Sol

#9993 May 24, 2012
Skitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The state schools give an option to the child whether they want to take part or not. That's the truth. It was the same when I was in school.
That clod's not interested in discussing anything, Skitz. He just wants to argue and rant.

And he's as obsessive as Buck and Dave.

Just ignore his. Background noise.

The Borderland of Sol

#9994 May 24, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'll bet you had her at "Scrotum Licker"
See my last, to Skitz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Patrick 227,650
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 12 min CunningLinguist 115
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 min Eman 22,268
Stump a theist with 2 questions 24 min Patrick 68
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Patrick 477
Here's a place for Patrick's off-topic articles 4 hr NightSerf 1
Glorify God, our Heavenly Father 4 hr Son of God 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE