In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51428 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#49210 Jul 30, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong!
Yes, the burden of proof is on the believer.

People claim a variety of supernatural things exist, not just God. Many, many people believe in UFOs, Big Foot, Reptilians, Atlantis, ESP, Ghosts, poltergeists, etc.

The burden of proof is on them to provide evidence to support their interesting claims.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#49211 Jul 30, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an assertion.
And a grammatical error.
Two...
Prove your assertion.
You're the one asserting that god is real. I'm simply educating you about the fact that god is not real.

Its not a claim, its a fact.

When you choose to invent and lie about god, that is your claim and assertion.

You cannot back it up and therefore you are a liar with no proof of god.

Does this basic elementary logic fit inside your stupid little barefoot head?

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#49213 Jul 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
All theist hallucinations are grandiose because thats what the mental illness of faith does.
You can\t hallucinate a small creature - it always had to be this all powerful overlord meaning of the universe bullsh*t that affects people that they've never heard of.
We can tell liars by the size of lie they tell.
I find it highly coincidental that most religious hotspots (the babble belt for example) are centred on masses of limestone bedrock, which are washed by acid rain.

Acid on limestone produce carbon dioxide. It is known that carbon dioxide causes delirium and hallucinations. Can this explain the god delusion?

I believe that this would make a good research paper just so long as godbots don’t get word of it before publication and start offering threats to the researchers.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#49214 Jul 30, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Albert Einstein was not an atheist.
I think we can be sure you aren't smarter than he.
Einstein didn't believe in a personal God. He did not believe in a God that punishes (or forgives) sin. He did not believe in an afterlife. Instead, he identified God with the universe, or sometimes the laws of the universe. He also did this primarily as metaphor. Even I believe in Einstein's version of God, although I may (and do) dispute whether the word 'God' is used correctly.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#49218 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
God exists. I don't have to prove it. Keep worrying about it.
I don't worry about whether God exists. Without evidence, the default is that no deities exist. But I do worry about the fools that believe in God. They are attempting to legislate their madness and control the lives of others. Their hatred and bigotry is dominating politics and *that* I will fight.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#49220 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you're confused.
Not at all. I am an atheist by any reasonable definition of the word. I do not believe in deities. But I do not identify the universe or the laws of physics with a deity. Those I believe in. Einstein *did* identify the universe and the laws of physics with God. I think that is a poor use of the word.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#49224 Jul 30, 2013
Libs are morons wrote:
<quoted text>
By your very existence.
Your blind, unconscionable devotion to oh-blamer and all things libtardian.
Now back to your befuddled lib soap box.
Ok idiot like I said I did not vote for Obama and don't like him at all. I am a Libertarian which means 10000 times more REAL Conservative then you. Now please tell me how more freedom and more equality is bad?
Huh

Faribault, MN

#49225 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
Correction:There are trillions and trillions of things in our world that could have never come about WITHOUT a supreme being creating it.
BS....... There is no proof any god ever was real...Unless you have some?

#49226 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your bigotry with us. Your nasty atheism will be shown to all my co-workers today.
Sorry, I don’t understand, where is the bigotry in offering fact? The US babble belt is centred on a huge limestone area that is washed by acid rain. Fact, not bigotry but FACT. So what can we assume from your abusive lies? Perhaps it could be that you have nothing so you have to lie…

But really that’s great, that’s more people who can look at the facts and research those FACTS to see truth.

No not “Truth” in the christian sense of it sounds right so it must be “Truth” but truth as in factual truth as defined in dictionaries everywhere.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#49227 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>..That is because none of you have jobs, have no life, and have serious concerns that Christians are exactly right about everything we talk about.
I have a nice job and a life, thanks for asking. Arent you "Christians" supposed to be nice to your neighbour?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#49228 Jul 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't worry about whether God exists. Without evidence, the default is that no deities exist.
+1. Nicely stated.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#49229 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't carrying that burden despite your wishes that we did. You are the one that is burdened as you are incapable of dropping the subject and moving on because you are worried that we are right and that you are wrong. And you are wrong, you're an atheist.
I'd have no problem dropping the subject if the believers would stop trying to legislate their religion.
I only come on here once a week or so, yet at any time I pop in, the same old worried atheists are not a page away from being seen griping about God. That is because none of you have jobs, have no life , and have serious concerns that Christians are exactly right about everything we talk about.
You are indeed worried, and you should be.
I have a good job that gives me plenty of free time. I have a happy marriage with a women who is intelligent, witty, and fun to be with. My only concern about religion is that the fools who believe in deities are trying to take over the government, schools, and run my life by *their* insanity.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#49230 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
Christians are not under the burden to have to proof that God, Jesus, Hell , or Heaven exists.
Atheists are the one with the burden because it is so obvious that the unseen God does indeed exists.
Really? if it is so obvious, it should be possible to provide some actual evidence of that existence. But none exists. Instead, we have your delusions and rationalizations.
There are trillions and trillions of things in our world that could have never come about with a supreme being creating it.
Name one.
Atheists are running out of time and they know they have no explanation for their cultish dogma.
Irony.

#49231 Jul 30, 2013
Just Results wrote:
Christians are not under the burden to have to proof that God, Jesus, Hell , or Heaven exists.
Atheists are the one with the burden because it is so obvious that the unseen God does indeed exists.
There are trillions and trillions of things in our world that could have never come about with a supreme being creating it.
Atheists are running out of time and they know they have no explanation for their cultish dogma.
Just Results wrote:
Correction:There are trillions and trillions of things in our world that could have never come about WITHOUT a supreme being creating it.
This is true that christians are under no burden, they are free to live the lie… However if they want to argue their point in a rational world then they must provide proof of their argument otherwise you are simply p|ssing in the wind.

Obvious is not proof, what you see as obvious is imagination, nothing more, nothing less, that imagination may be effected by hallucination but that makes no difference to the fact that there is no evidence what so ever to augment your claim of obvious.

Wrong, everything in this world, in this universe is explainable by science.

Projection never works, just because you are incapable of explaining goddidit by magic does not mean that anyone else is incapable of explaining. The real problem is not explaining but deliberately misunderstanding and deliberate ignorance.

In fact atheism and science are in no way related, it just so happens that individually they draw similar conclusions. Whereas goddidit by magic is a bronze age idea that is long past its sell by date.

#49232 Jul 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a nice job and a life, thanks for asking. Arent you "Christians" supposed to be nice to your neighbour?
LOL

Was Hitler nice? He was after all a good christian with Vatican backing

Was Stalin nice? Tipped for priesthood and reinstated the church after his rise to power

Was Pol Pot nice? 12 years training in a catholic school

Adam Lanza? James Holmes? Anders Behring Breivik, Radovan Karadzic, Ratko Mladic, the IRA, the NLFT, the KKK and anti abortionists in the US, all good christians.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#49233 Jul 30, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, everything in this world, in this universe is explainable by science.
Can science explain >everything<? I am not sure its the job of science to explain why you might like X or Y? I thought science tests things to see if a theory is matched by the evidence? So will be limited to what is measurable or testable?

#49234 Jul 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Can science explain >everything<? I am not sure its the job of science to explain why you might like X or Y? I thought science tests things to see if a theory is matched by the evidence? So will be limited to what is measurable or testable?
Nope, not everything, that does not mean it is unexplainable by science. There is such a lot to explain however when you get down to the subatomic/quantum then yes everything is (or could be) explainable by science

Actually neuroscience is now quite adapt at explaining why I like X and not Y

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#49235 Jul 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I think that science will figure out the biochemistry of why you like X instead of Y. That will be done by data collection, forming hypotheses, testing those hypotheses by further data collection, and possibly changing the hypotheses to fit the evidence.

Your desires are biological facts that are based in the chemistry inside of your brain. Now, the brain is a very complicated system, so getting all the details pinned down will be a long process, but we are well on the way. At this point, we know (in particular advertisers know) how various likes and dislikes are correlated. We also know where the reward systems are in the brain.

So, please tell me something that isn't measurable or testable, at least in theory, and that is still real.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#49236 Jul 30, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong!
Wow, you got me cornered!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#49237 Jul 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you provide proof of god, god is not real, its that simple.
I see.

Quarks did not exist until 1974?

Until you disprove the existence of God, obvious... God exists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 28 min One way or another 48,577
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Thinking 21,872
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 30
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 6 hr Richardfs 5,694
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr karl44 23,504
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 hr New Age Spiritual... 258,040
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 3 Eagle 12 4,907
More from around the web