In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 50964 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#48970 Jun 27, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
House of Lords are: appointed.
To an extent, however just like so much of British life and law that your hatred of the British makes impossible for you to understand or accept every member of the house of lords is either elected to replace a member who has died or is appointed by elected official’s
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
House of Lords = political appointments.
To an extent, however just like so much of British life and law that your hatred of the British makes impossible for you to understand or accept every member of the house of lords is either elected to replace a member who has died or is appointed by elected official’s
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "American" language.
It is a dialect.
would you like links to the people who insist the earth is flat?
Nope but links that JUSTIFY your claim would be nice. You ignorant moron were the one who asked for links to disprove your position, and as I have said, you position you prove it
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How members are appointed
"Members of the House of Lords are appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister."
http://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/whos-...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By-elections_to_...
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too late for you, Shug.
Obviously.
PS:****YOU***** stated "American" is the language.
The proof is yours.
I've already refuted it, BTW.
I believe the first two references to it were
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

In which Mikko states “American isn't real English!” followed by your rant, you ranted you fookong prove it

As has been previously stated, stamping your foot and ranting WITHOUT evidence is not refuting, it’s simply you having a tantrum and stamping your foot

#48971 Jun 27, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Mandela is still critical, sadly.
But I am okay, too ;)
Very sad.

#48973 Jun 27, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think I agree with you Christine.
Most of the British Parliament aren't elected. Only the 650 of the house of commons. The Lords aren't elected. That is a shame on us and our system - no escaping it.
I went back a page, but maybe I missed you're reasoning. Anyway, you appear to have managed to make Barefoot sound reasonable! That is his style - he just keeps repeating misleading tripe until someone makes a factual error.
Proportionately fewer Lords are hereditary than in the past but most are government appointed. Currently there are 26 bishops. This UKGov found time to debate gay marriage and the PM has 'Faith meetings', but they claimed there was no time for reform of the House of Lords even with a bill ready for voting on that would at least make it more democratic. I think we should abolish the Lords. It is a mess and a national disgrace in my opinion.
I am winding basereass2626 manchild up by playing with words. Of course the latest proposed House of Lords reform bill has been dropped, The bill proposed 300 members, of which 80% are elected. A further 20% would be appointed (see below), and reserve space would be included for 12 Church of England bishops.

Even so, and this is what really screws bareass2626 manchild up, the intricacies of British custom, law and parliamentary procedure (of which he has little comprehension) mean that, in these circumstances the word appointed (a historical term) can be directly replaced with the word elected because the “appointments” are make by “election”.

When a hereditary peer dies the replacement is not appointed in the you’re it sense of the word but “elected” by by-election of members of the house. This may not be an election as he would like to see an election (after all he is pissed because he can’t vote for who becomes his president) but it is none the less an election.

Of the lords spiritual, each is not appointed bishop but “elected” bishop. Elected by a convoluted process involving the “elected” members of the crown appointment commission. Again this may not be an election as he would like to see an election but it is none the less an election.

And of the remainder each is selected on the recommendation of elected members of government. I.e. These members are elected in on a trust ticket to make political decisions as we want them to make those decisions, this is democracy in action. If people don’t like that then they have the choice of either voting for someone else next time round or emigrating to somewhere more to there political liking.

We need an upper house just as any democratic country does, it would no doubt benefit from greater transparency.

#48974 Jun 27, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you spit in their faces like you should?
I assume this is good christian teaching that makes you such a sick moron,

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#48975 Jun 27, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>People like you make Jesus the Christ (praise be upon him) cry.
Good on you for that reply.

It is people like that who gives Christianity a bad name with us atheists. Sadly, there are many people like that, all over the globe.

Largely, the debate on here has been the US Constitution vs the British version of a Constitution. I can tell you that here in SA, we have arguably the most advanced Constitution on the planet. We are totally in line with the UN's Basic Human Rights. You will of course know about our Bill of Rights and the Freedom Charter (as well as events like the Rivonia trials, etc), so no need to elaborate on that.

Here is my point. Even in light of our very advaced Constitution, minorities are still being discriminated against. I do not go and tell everybody that I am atheist, for fear of loss of income. I have been asked during an interview whether I am Christian. Even a chess tournament I was an official at the other day, opened with prayer to the Christian deity. All that should not be permitted in our society, as per our Constitution, but still it happens.

The sad part is that fools, like the one you replied to, use their influence to try and opress the minorites. We have churches here who have fired gay employees. Our private sector is still mostly lilly white. People would give me a leg up about my white skin, but then complain when the same happens when goverment appoints a black face where a white one used to be.

This musing brings me back to the topic. "in the closet" does not necessarily imply what is said in the Constitution, rather, it is meant in terms of what the biggest part of the populace make of the minority group.
JBH

Richmond, Canada

#48976 Jun 27, 2013
---------When non-secular countries have nuclear weapons, well...that's bad. I believe Iran and Pakistan are Muslim dominated cultures and in North Korea... Kim IS GOD. That is the constant in most religion...they just can't seem to wait for the world to end----------

==========

MOST of THE volatile SITUATIONS and CHAOS ARE DONE BY SOME PEOPLE COMING out not TO put TERMS OF SIMPLE REASONING but TO MAKE DANGER. THEY THINK NOTHING OF ANY PROBABLE CONSEQUENCES WOULD OCCUR IN ANY LENGTH OF TIME by making radicalism slogans.
SOME OF THESE NON-NATURAL DISASTERS of unrest, riots and wars ARE MAN-MADE, INCLUDING WWII AND IRAQ.
One might expect it is just unrest there in Iraq presently, yet it appears it is far from all over. But just who started it?
The Axis-of-evil thing is an example as how one wants it to be like, to create violences or wars, that these could lead to many destructive effects which could prolong the alike scenarios of another Vietnam war if they want, by trending to call this outcry of Axis-of-evil in their bickering.
How some people run the polices symbolizes as whether these people are crazies, hypocrites, dictators, fascists, big-brother police state agenda, as Hitler was one of them. It is ridiculous in modern-times era that people still think so irrationally, to get to do many unexpected crazy things, when populations around the world are growing so huge, having lots of technology.
It is a very different world today than Hitler period where they did not have the computer and so much modern technology, as these things could lead to the tearing to outcome the many big damages to the world.
As they called it, The-axis-0f-evil which includes North Korea and Iran, seems to be the uncertainty, tending to be lack of ground.
NOrth Korea has some nukes, and some people just push against NK too much as a form of hysteria. But NK is well prepared to challenge any provoking that it might use nukes if they want war. However, it is most unlikely such would happen if they stop the rhetoric.
It is uncertain whether Iran has nukes, probably it is still trying however. Iran has a long history in the ME region and it doesn't appear it would challenge anyone to go for a nuke when it would have some nuke bombs. Iran going for getting nukes is basically reflecting a confident show, as well as making it giving to itself more loud noises.
Pakistan does have nukes, as the probability is there of its people in any tendency to do nuke usage, despite being low. As long as its government is still taken charge by the current people and alike people in the length of time proceeding to the future, it is highly improbable they would go for nuke usage. US is going too far to them, as it has done lots of drones there. It looks like that these people are silent today as being droned a lot. But if their generations or radical ones get mad, with some new people to get charge of the government, then it could be potentially very volatile regarding the nukes that Pakistan already has.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#48977 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the matta Skanque?

Can't answer a simple question?

HOW MANY OF THE HOUSE OF LORDS ARE ELECTED?

Location hidden

#48978 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
To an extent, however just like so much of British life and law that your hatred of the British
Pointing out that you are an idiot who doesn't even know her own government doesn't make me a hater of British, it makes you an ignorant dolt with an ego to large to admit she is wrong.

As her ex will attest.

Tell us the name of the member of the Lord elected to his/her office, piggy?

Location hidden

#48979 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
You made the statement that US English is not a language
Skanque, you told us that "American" was a language.

Do you want me to play the tape?

"American" is a dialect, Skanque.

Dialect.

No matter how hard you stomp your cloven hooves.

Location hidden

#48980 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
I have corrected you with the fact that the term as applied to the UK by both the British monarchy
The United King_dom is a monarchy, Skanque.

I haven't moved a fraction of an inch.

Location hidden

#48981 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am winding basereass2626 manchild up by playing with words.
Here we see how Skanque tries to explain how she can say something that is absolutely wrong and bury it with text.

She will then deny she ever denied she stated the members of the House of Lords were elected.

Location hidden

#48982 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am winding basereass2626
Oh, fatty fatty fat fat: I am laughing my azz off at you.

You are making yourself the complete idiot for others too see.

Location hidden

#48983 Jun 27, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
It is people like that who gives Christianity a bad name with us atheists.
I don't blame all Christians for the speech of one anymore than I would say that all Brits are absolute morons just because of the morons who are Brits here.

Tell me: How many of the House of Lords are elected?

Location hidden

#48984 Jun 27, 2013
Mikko wrote:
American isn't real English!
Gosh, Skanque: it looks like you lost track of who said what.

Location hidden

#48985 Jun 27, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
Largely, the debate on here has been the US Constitution vs the British version of a Constitution.
The United Kingdom does not have a constitution.

The US does.

The "debate" has been: I made several factual statements - such as the United Kingdom is a monarchy and that the Queen is the head of the state religion and that the UK has a law requiring collective worship, and that most of the members of the Parliament are appointed or inherited- and others do not have the ability to admit they have been wrong in countering these facts.

Or that when I prove what they have said is absolute hogwash that they say they were just kidding... this goes back to the "Lincoln" quote...

Watch as Skanque somehow tries to explain her way around to saying that the House of Lords are elected members, I figure by next year, she will be insisting I am the one who said that they were elected.

Now tell me: How many of the House of Lords are elected?

Location hidden

#48986 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
When a hereditary peer dies the replacement is not appointed in the you’re it sense of the word but “elected”
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Or how they change the meaning of the word (or think they can) by putting it in "quotes".

(quoted)
How members are appointed

Members of the House of Lords are appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/whos-...

++

spin, spin, spin...

Location hidden

#48987 Jun 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
Of the lords spiritual, each is not appointed bishop but “elected” bishop.
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

You see how Skanque is "winding me up" by making these idiotic statements?

She really has me on the ropes, huh?

Tell me, DoubleFine: are the Lords Spiritual elected? Is "American" a language?

It is a curious psychosis, methinks, to not be able to admit you are wrong, even in the face of overwhelming proof.

#48988 Jun 28, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't blame all Christians for the speech of one anymore than I would say that all Brits are absolute morons just because of the morons who are Brits here.
Tell me: How many of the House of Lords are elected?
Elect, appoint, it matters not. Comes down to the same thing: a rich bloke, put there by other rich blokes.

#48989 Jun 28, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The United Kingdom does not have a constitution.
The US does.
The "debate" has been: I made several factual statements - such as the United Kingdom is a monarchy and that the Queen is the head of the state religion and that the UK has a law requiring collective worship, and that most of the members of the Parliament are appointed or inherited- and others do not have the ability to admit they have been wrong in countering these facts.
Or that when I prove what they have said is absolute hogwash that they say they were just kidding... this goes back to the "Lincoln" quote...
Watch as Skanque somehow tries to explain her way around to saying that the House of Lords are elected members, I figure by next year, she will be insisting I am the one who said that they were elected.
Now tell me: How many of the House of Lords are elected?
Double Fine has followed the debate with half an eye. Truth be told, Doible Fine is not going to fact check anything, as there are more interesting things to do with one's time. Had ot been about Cretaceous fossils, Double Fine would have been over this.

Now, let us say you are right; There are laws requiring collective worship. That still does not change the attitude of people towards atheists. Here in SA, we have a VERY liberal Constitution. Yet, atheists stilldraw on society's short straw.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#48990 Jun 28, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
One of those 49 people would end up becoming a dictator, and she would start a rebellion and her followers would run through the streets killing members of a minority and over three million people would die.
That would be your fault.
You actually believe those people that died were guilty, just because you think your god killed them.

That's how f*cked you people are in the head:

Go tell the mom from Sudan that god killed her son through starvation because he would grow up to become a mass murderer according to your mental illness.

I will pay for your flight you s*ck f*ck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min ChristineM 11,654
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min ChristineM 254,957
Religion Down Suicide Up 21 min Reason Personified 91
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 27 min Reason Personified 4,257
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 30 min Chimney1 29,544
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 3,511
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr ChristineM 9,610
More from around the web