In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#48900 Jun 21, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Anal Buccaneer its you that cant spell
can't... can apostrophe t.

can't.

When you use multiple aliases, AnalOriface, and want to pretend otherwise, you have to put a little more effort into them.

PS: You're leaking from both ends.

Location hidden

#48901 Jun 21, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
I know you wanna free cracker anthing that is free besides they got you figured out too now if the TOPIX Moderators can figure you out that all you are doing spamming.
Anything... a- n- y- t- h- i- n- g.

Topix knows who is spamming and using multiple aliases.

If they cared, you wouldn't be posting.

I certainly don't, just laughing at ya, Shug.
Joe fortuna

Arcata, CA

#48902 Jun 24, 2013
I know a lot of atheist on and off topix and none are in the closet.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#48903 Jun 24, 2013
Joe fortuna wrote:
I know a lot of atheist on and off topix and none are in the closet.
You'd be amazed at how many are so far in the closet as to still be attending church gatherings. The reasons for this vary from the inane to the logical and sound. Many preachers are atheists, ones you don't hear about in the news saying stupid things, but have no other career options as they wasted their lives on learning that one thing and acquiring no useful skills. Someone once mentioned that many Catholic priests are atheists now, again you won't hear about them in the news either, and I know many nuns who are atheists but know of no other life than what they are in now. Many atheists will often pretend to be believers around their families, for fear of losing them, even to the extent of going to church services. Many remain silent on the issue for fear of losing their jobs, one such is a teacher who vlogs on YouTube now masking his face because he was threatened to lose his job if he didn't stop making atheist videos. Atheists are treated worse than homosexuals now, but if we all came out and admitted we don't believe, we'd no longer be a minority. Thus, the reason to continue to encourage all atheists to voice their stance.
LNC Llin

United States

#48904 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be amazed at how many are so far in the closet as to still be attending church gatherings. The reasons for this vary from the inane to the logical and sound. Many preachers are atheists, ones you don't hear about in the news saying stupid things, but have no other career options as they wasted their lives on learning that one thing and acquiring no useful skills. Someone once mentioned that many Catholic priests are atheists now, again you won't hear about them in the news either, and I know many nuns who are atheists but know of no other life than what they are in now. Many atheists will often pretend to be believers around their families, for fear of losing them, even to the extent of going to church services. Many remain silent on the issue for fear of losing their jobs, one such is a teacher who vlogs on YouTube now masking his face because he was threatened to lose his job if he didn't stop making atheist videos. Atheists are treated worse than homosexuals now, but if we all came out and admitted we don't believe, we'd no longer be a minority. Thus, the reason to continue to encourage all atheists to voice their stance.
Your observation:
"Many remain silent on the issue for fear of losing their jobs.." We discussed this at University. Operating a business in a small town might incline one to hide ones true beliefs.

Curriculum in this course included Staughton Lynd and Helen Merrell Lynd sociological study "Middletown".

Thanks for your post.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#48905 Jun 24, 2013
Just where are the wimmin' at??
Hey all.

Location hidden

#48906 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be amazed at how many are so far in the closet as to still be attending church gatherings.
You'd be amazed how many atheists are secret Christians.

And how many come back to God in time of crisis.

And on their death bed.

Location hidden

#48907 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Many preachers are atheists
Prove one.

#48908 Jun 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And on their death bed.
Yo Barefoot!!

You are so right, man. Double Fine often turns to God during a big game.

But God sometimes disappoints. How dit Nani get that red card against Madrid?? It was the work of Satan!

Location hidden

#48909 Jun 24, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
But God sometimes disappoints. How dit Nani get that red card against Madrid?? It was the work of Satan!
You have to keep reminding yourself that it is always part of God's plan.

When an airplane crashed many (many) years ago, as I can recall (google it and find the right numbers), 49 people were killed, and the sole survivor (maybe the soul survivor... but the dullards here wouldn't get that...) was a young girl (infant?) and I remember everyone making a fuss about it being a miracle... that she was saved by God...

I don't think God is involved at a national sports level... except rather obviously something a Chicago Cub fan did or said a hundred years ago really pissed him off.

#48910 Jun 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
When an airplane crashed many (many) years ago, as I can recall (google it and find the right numbers), 49 people were killed, and the sole survivor (maybe the soul survivor... but the dullards here wouldn't get that...) was a young girl (infant?) and I remember everyone making a fuss about it being a miracle... that she was saved by God...
I don't think God is involved at a national sports level... except rather obviously something a Chicago Cub fan did or said a hundred years ago really pissed him off.
Lol I hear you. Some bloke here in the Western Provonve of SA also severely pissed him off

Where is everybody? I was hoping to be greated by a sea of lesbians, at the very least.

Location hidden

#48911 Jun 24, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
Where is everybody? I was hoping to be greated by a sea of lesbians, at the very least.
Now that's not nice... ChristineM isn't a lesbian, it just that men find her repulsive.

#48912 Jun 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's not nice... ChristineM isn't a lesbian, it just that men find her repulsive.
Christine missed the Double Fine, that I know. But what of all the others? Where are they now? How about Buck. He would be really pleased to see me.

Location hidden

#48913 Jun 24, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
How about Buck. He would be really pleased to see me.
Buck's been in jail. He escaped once so they put him in the basement and he has to go up a flight of stairs to get loose so I don't expect to hear from him again until they fix the elevator.

#48914 Jun 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck's been in jail. He escaped once so they put him in the basement and he has to go up a flight of stairs to get loose so I don't expect to hear from him again until they fix the elevator.
I wouldn't be surprised.

And you, how are things your side?
Joe fortuna

Arcata, CA

#48916 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
. I believe you could be right about that, I never really looked at it that way. I'm not a atheist, but I don't have to agree with everything a person believes to be friendly towards them

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#48917 Jun 25, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
So its part of gods plan to kill 49 people and then save one girl who later develops a psychological complex.

Good work god, but I could do a lot better. I would not kill 49 people for a start. That makes me instantly better.

Only mentally ill people defend imaginary murder.

Location hidden

#48918 Jun 25, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Your observation:
"Many remain silent on the issue for fear of losing their jobs.." We discussed this at University. Operating a business in a small town might incline one to hide ones true beliefs.
Curriculum in this course included Staughton Lynd and Helen Merrell Lynd sociological study "Middletown".
Thanks for your post.
Defeated creationist troll spammer trying to get into the good books, not realising that his entire post history is visible.

#48919 Jun 25, 2013
Joe fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>. I believe you could be right about that, I never really looked at it that way. I'm not a atheist, but I don't have to agree with everything a person believes to be friendly towards them
Joe! How you been?

Location hidden

#48920 Jun 25, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And on their death bed.
Not surprising to know that 0 atheists are secret christians.

Try another lie and see if that works.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Subduction Zone 85,533
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 5 hr Rose_NoHo 4,816
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr ChristineM 4,026
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Tue Into The Night 5,146
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Mon Dogen 33,127
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Jan 15 superwilly 111
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Jan 14 emperorjohn 1
More from around the web