In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
46,101 - 46,120 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#47895 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>why do you think Democrat Ronald Reagan.
The final straw was when the Democrats started fighting for civil rights in 1960.

But of course Reagan was a Democrat in name only- because he saw it as an advantage in California in the 1950s.

He endorsed both Nixon and Eisenhower. Republicans.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#47896 Mar 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text> I guess you have never been to high school graduation.
Well... your own.
Because the word "Democratic" is in the title doesn't make it part of the Democratic party.
Fifty years ago.
Myself: I'd be more concerned with the Republicans who invited white Nationalists to their CPAC convention two weeks ago.
the CPAC was a joke in my opinion and meaningless but you are getting Democratic and Democrat mixed up but the Democrat Party back in the time of Andrew Jackson the word Democrat represented the Democracy.

Location hidden

#47897 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Tea Party people are a joke too they are liberals
Ain't.

Sort of like Bush suddenly becoming not a Republican because he was the worst president in 80 years.

Location hidden

#47898 Mar 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text> I guess you have never been to high school graduation.
Well... your own.
Because the word "Democratic" is in the title doesn't make it part of the Democratic party.
Fifty years ago.
Myself: I'd be more concerned with the Republicans who invited white Nationalists to their CPAC convention two weeks ago.
tell the DNC

Democratic Party

Democratic Party, Democratic Party: Democratic Party pin [Credit: Americana/Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.]in the United States, one of the two major political parties, the other being the Republican Party.

The Democratic Party has changed significantly during its more than two centuries of existence. During the 19th century the party supported or tolerated slavery, and it opposed civil rights reforms after the Civil War in order to retain the support of Southern voters. By the mid-20th century it had undergone a dramatic ideological realignment and reinvented itself as a party supporting organized labour, the civil rights of minorities, and progressive reform. Since President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal of the 1930s, the party has also tended to favour greater government intervention in the economy and to oppose government intervention in the private, noneconomic affairs of citizens. The logo of the Democratic Party, the donkey, was popularized by cartoonist Thomas Nast in the 1870s; though widely used, it has never been officially adopted by the party.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/157...

Location hidden

#47899 Mar 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The final straw was when the Democrats started fighting for civil rights in 1960.
But of course Reagan was a Democrat in name only- because he saw it as an advantage in California in the 1950s.
He endorsed both Nixon and Eisenhower. Republicans.
Reagan was New Deal Democrat all the way and even tell that in his book.

Ronald Reagan on Franklin Roosevelt: The Significance of Style
K. Alan Snyder - 08/20/08

Reagan was a New Deal Democrat. He joked that he had probably become a Democrat by birth, given that his father, Jack, was so devoted to the Democratic Party. The younger Reagan cast his first presidential vote in 1932 for Franklin Roosevelt, and did so again in the succeeding three presidential contests. His faith in FDR remained undimmed even after World War II, when he called himself “a New Dealer to the core.” He summarized his views in this way:“I thought government could solve all our postwar problems just as it had ended the Depression and won the war. I didn’t trust big business. I thought government, not private companies, should own our big public utilities; if there wasn’t enough housing to shelter the American people, I thought government should build it; if we needed better medical care, the answer was socialized medicine.” When his brother, Moon, became a Republican and argued with his sibling, the younger Reagan concluded “he was just spouting Republican propaganda.”

http://www.firstprinciplesjournal.com/print.a...

Location hidden

#47900 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
the SDS is Responsible for the New Left
Nope.

PS: the "new left" is "long gone". The "new right" is the tea party.

I cannot help you don't know your right from your left.

Location hidden

#47901 Mar 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't.
Sort of like Bush suddenly becoming not a Republican because he was the worst president in 80 years.
I never cared for Bush Sr. either but I didn't care for Michael Dukakis either which Mitt Romney reminded me of Michael Dukakis but I don't care if its Republican or Democrat from Massachusetts the party affiliation means nothing in Massachusetts.

Location hidden

#47902 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
tell the DNC
Right...

What part of 'both parties have changed over the last fifty years' did you not understand?

Except if you are talking numbers of persons of color, it hasn't changed.

I wonder why? Republicans bragging that voter registration would deliver swing states to the Republicans and by 2012 the number of blacks in the GOP was around four percent.

One two three four. Four percent today.

The GOP: party of Strom Thurmon.

Location hidden

#47903 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I never cared for Bush.
<yawn>

Location hidden

#47904 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Reagan was a New Deal Democrat.
Was.

He endorse Nixon and Eisenhower in the 50s and Barry Goldwater.

There was no New Deal left in Reagan.

Location hidden

#47905 Mar 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Reagan was a New Deal Democrat.
I'm not interested in your copy & pastes; understand you can't think for yourself.

Location hidden

#47906 Mar 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right...
What part of 'both parties have changed over the last fifty years' did you not understand?
Except if you are talking numbers of persons of color, it hasn't changed.
I wonder why? Republicans bragging that voter registration would deliver swing states to the Republicans and by 2012 the number of blacks in the GOP was around four percent.
One two three four. Four percent today.
The GOP: party of Strom Thurmon.
I agree both parties have dramatically changed for the worst.

Location hidden

#47907 Mar 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not interested in your copy & pastes; understand you can't think for yourself.
you the one that tells everyone to prove it and back it up so I do.

Location hidden

#47909 Mar 30, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
I agree both parties have dramatically changed for the worst.
Go back to the good old days when blacks knew their place and didn't try to vote, I get it.

Location hidden

#47910 Mar 30, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>you the one that tells everyone to prove it and back it up so I do.
You prove your opinion you got from someone else by copy and pasting a third party and that's debate?

Right.

The "new left" doesn't exist and was never part of the Democratic party.

Location hidden

#47911 Mar 30, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back to the good old days when blacks knew their place and didn't try to vote, I get it.
that is what the Democrats were about.

Location hidden

#47913 Mar 30, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
that is what the Democrats were about.
Persons of color in the GOP (all colors)= 6 percent.

Location hidden

#47914 Mar 30, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that is what the Democrats were about.
Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 04:21 PM PDT.

"The Democrat Race Lie": Has the Democratic Party always been a party of good?

Basically, I'm getting beat up pretty good about LBJ and how he was a racist (even though he signed the Civil Rights Act) and FDR's internment camps (for the Japanese-Americans in World War II).

It's the usual "all Democrats are liars" stuff from the uncle.

But in a way, it's a good question.

How can the Democrats lay claim to being the party of civil rights, women's rights and all that good stuff for over 200 years? Did they really do that? Or is it just hyperbole?

I have a Facebook argument awaiting me. I await your answers and assistance!

ADDENDUM:

My friend also used this article as proof that Democrats were anti-civil rights until 1996:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/08/1129...

The Democrat Race Lie

http://www.black-and-right.com/the-democrat-r...
UidiotRaceMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#47915 Mar 30, 2013
The right is left and left is Right, most of us AMericans are clueless, the leaders in power corrupted kowtow to Greed and Power and they used these many various ploy of left/right paradigm to incites and divide the masses to fight each other, keep us all dumb and divided and keep us all very busy to notice what is really going on in political arena of deception ..., so we can't effect for changes and see what on the horizon... political chicanery it is at its fineness ! BWHAHAHHAAH w ake up time doofuses! BWHAHAHAAA
Nashoune L

San Diego, CA

#47916 Mar 30, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how so many people who (say they) don't believe in God go so far out of their way to demand others prove that their is a god.
And insist that other s believe as they do.
Funny how you put the GodBots and the NotBots in a room, no one can tell them apart.
Not unlike the Cheronians.
Always looking for a way to twist someones, anyone's words so that you can stay right where you are...latched onto your absurd beliefs that have zero ground and zero true faith. If they did you wouldn't be so bothered by those who believe differently. You will never learn.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 1 hr Patrick 13
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Patrick 226,341
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 10 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 10 hr Patrick 172
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••