In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51428 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Mr Smartypants

Roy, WA

#47807 Mar 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
By the way, Man-Made Climate Change has been thoroughly debunked, folks.
It was published in the science journal "Nature".
"In so doing, the researchers have been able for the first time to precisely demonstrate that the long-term trend over the past two millennia has been towards climatic cooling."
I didn't read that particular article but, IIRC, there was another report that said, yes, the long-term trend over the last two millennia was towards global cooling EXCEPT for the sharp increase in global temperature since the dawn of the Industrial Era. If anything, a sudden reversal of the cooling trend is a very strong argument for global warming.
SupaAFC

Leven, UK

#47808 Mar 25, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
SupaAFC wrote:
" Wikipedia is the -only- source where the quote shows up ad verbatim"
Proof needed to refute: ONE other source.
Proof provided: FOUR sources.
GAME SET MATCH.
Oh... I forgot, Limeys aren't very good at tennis either...
And for the third time in as many days I post the crucial part of the post you keep ignoring:

"Prove me wrong - show me the original source."

That was the challenge. That was the response to the claim you made regarding you using a non-Wiki source.

You, of course, keep quote-mining that same line that you conjured up a red herring out of to avoid addressing what was actually asked. You do this every time you are cornered.

Lie, lie and lie some more, manchild. I again notice that you completely ignored the long, long list of arguments that you cannot provide an answer for - or even attempt to answer.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only you, SuperFAG, and I guess you shouldn't dish it out if you are going to whine when it get tossed back into your fat sticky face.
Name-calling is your forte. It fits in with your mentality that what worked in the playground will work in the adult world.

When you are rummaging through the dictionary, looking at how democracy is defined, look up "projection" also.
SupaAFC

Leven, UK

#47809 Mar 25, 2013
List of points and arguments that Barefoot cannot refute or explain:

"The world still awaits for the quote where I agreed to a bet.

The world is also waiting for you to define democracy...

... and explain why things within an umbrella term are the same...

... and why things can only be defined by one word...

... and what the Weimar Republic was if it was not a democracy...

... and why you cannot admit that universities do indeed give out politics degrees...

... and why for a supposedly powerful monarchy, Parliament has not had a bill refused by the royals in over 300 years...

... and why a Constitutional monarchy "is a monarchy", but absolute and electives are "kinds"...

... and why a Constitutional monarchy requires one physical Constitution to be defined as such...

... and why, quite simply, everybody and everything else - academia, history, reality - simply ridicules your inane argument about Britain not being a democracy.

For a guy who stresses the importance of quotes and pasting as many source as he can, it sure is funny how you never really seem to answer anything."

Goes for the pawn, ignores the King.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#47810 Mar 25, 2013
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
And for the third time in as many days I post the crucial part of the post you keep ignoring:
Post it fifty times- I am sure you will.

You insisted that WIKI was the only possible source.

EXACTLY QUOTE, SuperFAG

I posted four sources.

Complete with links.

Wipe your chin.

Location hidden

#47811 Mar 25, 2013
SupaAFC wrote:
That was the challenge.
Nope.

You are think after I kick you squarely in the grapes, you get to move the goal posts.

You don't.

You insisted that WIKI was the only source.

I gave you four.

With sources.

And you lost that fight months ago.

And now you try to British out of a bet.

Wipe your chin, and do stop crying about it getting flung into your sticky face.

Location hidden

#47812 Mar 25, 2013
[QUOTE who="SupaAFC"
The world is also waiting for you to define democracy...[/QUOTE]

I am not going to play with your straw man.

Putting aside I already have, long time ago, SuperFAG.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#47813 Mar 25, 2013
Nashoune L wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't feel like a bully. When you are faced with a good number of individuals who present a non-sense argument, non-sense proof in support of that argument, and who chose to converse with those around them who choose to believe differently in a non-sense and bullish manner, well, sometimes the only way to get through with what you have to say is to respond with words and language that a bully would understand. And I am not saying respond in ACTION as a bully, hell no. I literally mean in language usage. Is this a normal response? No, it is not, but keep in mind the individuals you are speaking to. And of course not all believers behave in a bullish manner so such an approach would simply not be right to take with all believers. I have many friends and acquaintances who are devout believers who do not go off the deep end and speak to unbelievers as if they were incompetent. On the other hand I do know some believers who are just so deeply mired in the death and destruction stories of the Bible and God (which is so freaking funny when you consider how loudly they tout their faith and beliefs are comprised of the LOVE of God) that to speak with them and exchange ideas and thoughts and opinions is impossible. They do not want to hear what you have to say. They do not care what you have to say. All that matters to them is that they truly believe everyone else is wrong and they are right. Sometimes it is not even worth the trouble to try to communicate with bully believers by communicating with them in the same, school-yard bully manner in which they speak.
That is sad but true.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#47814 Mar 25, 2013
Nashoune L wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part of history makes you think that God was integrated with our culture from the very beginning? And do you mean American culture? Such a claim simply is not true. I know that some believers think, teach, and preach that America was founded on Christian beliefs. In fact, being raised Christian, my siblings and I were in private Christian schools when we were children and we were in fact taught that the United States was founded on Christianity. This is a lie, whether or not it is an intentional lie it is still a lie.
The founding Fathers were deists, although many identified as Methodist, Protestant, Episcopalian and a handful of others. And this is not from the viewpoint of one or two or just a few historians. Look at some of the statements and items written about God and religion that were made by members of our founding government. Of course, just like any group or club that wants to maintain good membership numbers would do, many believers claim that America was founded on Christianity and God and the Bible, and then follow up that unsubstantiated claim with an even more ridiculous claim that the problems within the U.S. to include governmental problems, are rooted in a 'fall' from Christianity.
There are plenty of people who are then scared into believing, which presents more problems than just their belief is not one that can be categorized as faith since it is based on fear. Maybe you were brought up to believe such fanciful claims. Maybe you have been told that information to the contrary is just a trick of Satan to try to take you away from God. Maybe you really, truly believe with all of your heart that it is all true and the U.S. is currently headed to hell in a hand basket as divine punishment from God.
You know, not that long ago...say, about five hundred years, people really and truly thought that the world was flat. They believed it so sincerely that they killed over such a belief, persecuted and maimed each other over such. None of that changed the fact that the earth is indeed round. So, it is okay for you to believe the way that you do. If you wish to believe that everything in this world and universe is bad, doomed, or slated for hell if it is contrary to your faith...power to you. If you wish to live in the little cocoon of fear spun from the web of lies of religion...go for it. It is a waste of time, though. All of your terrible predictions and beliefs and treatments of others have ZERO effect in labeling one shred of the divine mythology presented by those who peddle their religious wares as truth to be actual truth.
At some point, usually when people stop responding to a believer's questions as to why a person thinks there is no God or in response to a believer's challenge to the non-believer to prove there is no God, a believer may misinterpret the silence to mean a spiritual concession of sorts, that the silence must mean that the non-believer knows the believer is right. This is not the case. What is happening is people are simply tired of hearing a load of crap day in and day out and would rather say nothing than to be drug into a senseless argument where the believer isn't going to listen to anything other than themselves.
Very well stated and true, IMO.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#47815 Mar 25, 2013
Nashoune L wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part of history makes you think that God was integrated with our culture from the very beginning? If you wish to believe that everything in this world and universe is bad, doomed, or slated for hell if it is contrary to your faith...power to you. If you wish to live in the little cocoon of fear spun from the web of lies of religion...go for it. It is a waste of time, though. All of your terrible predictions and beliefs and treatments of others have ZERO effect in labeling one shred of the divine mythology presented by those who peddle their religious wares as truth to be actual truth.
At some point, usually when people stop responding to a believer's questions as to why a person thinks there is no God or in response to a believer's challenge to the non-believer to prove there is no God, a believer may misinterpret the silence to mean a spiritual concession of sorts, that the silence must mean that the non-believer knows the believer is right. This is not the case. What is happening is people are simply tired of hearing a load of crap day in and day out and would rather say nothing than to be drug into a senseless argument where the believer isn't going to listen to anything other than themselves.
Well stated!

These two simple questions remain unanswered by even ONE True Believer!

1. Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

2. Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.

Founding fathers...
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." ~Thomas Jefferson

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." ~James Madison

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." ~John Adams

"Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1500 years." ~John Adams

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." ~John Adams

Location hidden

#47816 Mar 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<
Founding fathers...
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." ~Thomas Jefferson
Owned 600 slaves.

But he isn't responsible for things he did not say, invented by liars 240 years later.

Location hidden

#47817 Mar 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." ~Thomas Jefferson
Nope.

So you don't fact check these internet NotBot blogs, eh?

Location hidden

#47818 Mar 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well stated!
As amusing as some of the beliefs some theists can hold onto, even more so are the NotBots who take up so much of their time to insist theists believe in something they cannot prove, and then insist they are wrong even though they Notbots have no proof to the contrary themselves, and -as here- post these fibs passed off as quotations.

Location hidden

#47819 Mar 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." ~James Madison
Slave owner.

PS: James Madison was an Episcopalian.
SupaAFC

Leven, UK

#47820 Mar 26, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Post it fifty times- I am sure you will.
You insisted that WIKI was the only possible source.
EXACTLY QUOTE, SuperFAG
I posted four sources.
Complete with links.
Wipe your chin.
So you went for the pawn - a pointless red herring - to avoid the King itself - which was to show where you got the Macmillan quote from.

Same old Barefoot: play the obtuse card whenever he is cornered.

You got it from Wikipedia. You made a hypocritical fool of yourself once again - and now you must rely on a red herring to dig yourself out of an ever-deepening hole.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
You are think after I kick you squarely in the grapes, you get to move the goal posts.
You don't.
You insisted that WIKI was the only source.
I gave you four.
With sources.
And you lost that fight months ago.
And now you try to British out of a bet.
Wipe your chin, and do stop crying about it getting flung into your sticky face.
How can I be moving the goalposts when the quote I keep posting, showing the real challenge, comes from the exact same post you use to argue your red herring?

Can you explain that for me, or do I have to add this as yet another point that my manchild cannot answer?

And on the subject of bets... when are you paying up on the Facebook bet you lost?

When are you showing where a bet was agreed?

All crucial questions that you cannot answer. And everybody knows why.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not going to play with your straw man.
Putting aside I already have, long time ago, SuperFAG.
And by "strawman" you mean "points I cannot refute, have no chance of refuting, and have no interest in refuting because it exposes the childish stupidity of my own arguments".

Manchild claims that things can only be defined by one word. I define Britain using the word democracy.

I win.

Also:

Is the United States a republic? Yes or no?

Still unanswered - and we know why.

Location hidden

#47823 Mar 26, 2013
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
So you went for the pawn -
Four sources.

TTTH.

Not one person expected you to hold up to your end of the bet.

Not one.

Location hidden

#47824 Mar 26, 2013
yon wrote:
When are those who've come out going to force Obama to come out?
He's black.

It's in all the papers.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#47825 Mar 26, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
As amusing as some of the beliefs some theists can hold onto, even more so are the NotBots who take up so much of their time to insist theists believe in something they cannot prove, and then insist they are wrong even though they Notbots have no proof to the contrary themselves, and -as here- post these fibs passed off as quotations.
Whats the problem? NO ANSWER!
You cannot answer two simple questions for your faith?

1. Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

2. Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

Location hidden

#47826 Mar 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats the problem? NO ANSWER!
I have already given you the answer, Shug.

You gave us a "quote", and I pulled down your panties and I spanked you.

I don't have to provide proof that God exists or doesn't exist or if the sun rises in the East and sets in the west, I proved that you are wrong.

No one expects you to admit it.

Are you British?

Location hidden

#47827 Mar 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
Nope.

It isn't up to me to prove.

It's up to you to disprove.

PS: you can pull up your panties, people are pointing and laughing.

Location hidden

#47828 Mar 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
Nope.

See above.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 37 min Thinking 20,265
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr NightSerf 10,341
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 3 hr Thinking 434
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 3 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 319
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 257,131
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr It aint necessari... 45,553
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 hr Eagle 12 21,397
More from around the web