In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

straa

Dartford, UK

#45232 Dec 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one expects you to admit you were wrong, Packy.
600,000 versus 4,300,000.
Thanks!
PS: It wasn't Canada fight either. But when it comes to starting fights that they can't finish, England has a long history going back even to the Revolutionary War where 1 in 4 were mercenaries.
Are you kidding, what was I wrong about, i said that Canada played a bigger role, and they did, I didn't mention anything about numbers of soldiers, only you mentioned that, it seems that once again you are arguing with yourself

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#45233 Dec 21, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding, what was I wrong about, i said that Canada
I've got the quote, that's all I need.

Thanks.

I'll put it on the same page as your statement that the UK captured the U505.
straa

UK

#45234 Dec 21, 2012
Barefoot, if you can find the post where i said that canada had more troops than America, i will never post on here again, if you cant find the post, you never post on here again, do you accept that deal, I know you can never admit you were wrong, but now your going to have to, show me the post or never come here again, show me the post where I said Canada had more soldiers than america, if you can't then you never post here again, deal
straa

UK

#45235 Dec 21, 2012
Show me the post, show me the post show me the post

Location hidden

#45236 Dec 21, 2012
straa wrote:
Barefoot, if you can find the post where i said that canada
Four million troops. 4,300,000-4,700,00, depending on whose figures you want to use.

Pull up your pants, Packy.

Next.
SupaAFC

Whitehaven, UK

#45237 Dec 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot help you do not know the laws that govern your own government.
Nice strawman you have made up there.

If Britain is a monarchy, and strictly a monarchy then why do we have a Parliament that makes all the laws?

You know, a democratically-elected Commons that creates laws, while the Lords sit back and do nothing, and the Queen, well, does nothing?

Why is that, Barefoot?

Why does our Parliament do all the work while the Queen does nothing?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The monarch has the power to dismiss the Parliament.
I don't have to have you acknowledge this fact.
Repeating the same red herrings does not answer an entirely different question.

The Commons, a democratically-elected house, makes the laws. The Queen rubber stamps them. Why, Barefoot, if we live in a monarchy, does the Queen not make the laws instead?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just remind you that you insisted that I should show you an example of a prime minister who was not elected by his party before being appointed by the monarch and I said "Macmillan" and your response was... well, that doesn't count, show me someone else...
You brought up Macmillan on your own accord.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The monarch in the UK rules over the Parliament. The sun rises in the east. I am not waiting for you to admit you are wrong.
The last time a monarch refused to give assent to a Parliamentary bill was in 1707. Over 300 years ago. Your country did not even exist.

Fast forward to 2012, last week, and if you keep an eye on the news you will see that the Queen attended her first ever Cabinet meeting to mark the 60th jubilee celebrations.

Why is it, Barefoot, that for all your talk of Britain being a monarchy and how Parliament is at their mercy...

... do they seem completely uninterested in the politics of their government?

Why is that, Barefoot?

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#45238 Dec 21, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Borderline psychotic when you realise that about 5 to 10 of them are the same things rewritten in different ways.
Lol

You may be closer to the truth than you think.

Watford, UK

#45239 Dec 21, 2012
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
His problems seem to overwhelm him/her.
You have to admit that he/she is very humorous.
He's become a caricature.

He's frantic in his posting, trying to wind up as many people as he possibly can.

He used to annoy me - now he just makes me laugh.

Location hidden

#45240 Dec 21, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
So we have established you know not what either "straw man" or "loaded question" means on top of your woefully inadequate knowledge of the monarchy of the UK.

I don't have time to drag you along, SuperFag.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#45241 Dec 21, 2012
If the US is such a beacon of democracy, how come the NRA reckons it can put their ancient gun nonces into US schools outside of any democratic process?
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
If Britain is a monarchy, and strictly a monarchy then why do we have a Parliament that makes all the laws?
You know, a democratically-elected Commons that creates laws, while the Lords sit back and do nothing, and the Queen, well, does nothing?
Why is that, Barefoot?
<quoted text>
The Commons, a democratically-elected house, makes the laws. The Queen rubber stamps them. Why, Barefoot, if we live in a monarchy, does the Queen not make the laws instead?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The last time a monarch refused to give assent to a Parliamentary bill was in 1707. Over 300 years ago. Your country did not even exist.
Fast forward to 2012, last week, and if you keep an eye on the news you will see that the Queen attended her first ever Cabinet meeting to mark the 60th jubilee celebrations.
Why is it, Barefoot, that for all your talk of Britain being a monarchy and how Parliament is at their mercy...
... do they seem completely uninterested in the politics of their government?
Why is that, Barefoot?

Location hidden

#45242 Dec 21, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:

Yet you do try.

Do let me know when you can answer:

Is the United King_dom a monarchy, ye or no?

OH- let's add 'red herring' to the rhetoric list above.

Location hidden

#45243 Dec 21, 2012
Khatru wrote:
He used to annoy me - now he just makes me laugh.
You always made me laugh, KowKow.

Laugh and laugh and laugh.

Watford, UK

#45244 Dec 21, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
To post once is guilty. is there a degree of guilt here?
Lol

I'd say it's more like 360 degrees of guilt.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#45245 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
If the US is such a beacon of democracy, how come the NRA reckons it can put their ancient gun nonces into US schools outside of any democratic process?
<quoted text>
Explain to me why it is illegal for you to own a katana.

BTW I own several , also very powerful projectile weapons \ but have no desire to hunt in the petting zoo.

But honestly can you tell me why you cannot own a katana?
I wonder if it is legal for you , a British man to even own a Sykes fairbairn sykes or an Enfield or Brown Bess even for that matter.
why should you not be able too?

Location hidden

#45246 Dec 21, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
The last time a monarch refused to give assent to a Parliamentary bill was in 1707.
Do you remember when you asked me the last time a prime minister wasn't elect4ed (for the nomination for the appointment made by the monarch) and I told you Macmillan and then you wanted another example?

HAHAHAAHAHAH!

Fun times, eh?

United Kingdom: still a monarchy.

Tell me: Is it true royal assention is required before it can become an Act of Parliament (law)? Yes or no?

PS:

(quote)
Proposed to put 500 new Peers into the Lords and they would vote for the closure of the Lords. The Lords gave their consent to the 1911 Parliament Act under duress. The Bill was presented to King Edward VII who refused the Royal Assent on the grounds that it removed a protection given to the Subject by the Constitution.

Location hidden

#45247 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Maybe you can help SuperFag understand what a loaded question is- thanks for providing another example.

Location hidden

#45249 Dec 21, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
Right, SuperFag: Americans can't help themselves and blurt out the names of English prime ministers all the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

To reivew:
The UK is in fact a monarchy.

The monarchy does appoint the prime minister.

The monarch does not have to appoint the PM recommended by the House.

The House in fact does not always vote for PM as I said.

The PM does not in fact always come from the majority party.

The monarch as I said does not always rubber stamp legislation put before him or her and certainly by law doesn't have to.

The U505 was indeed captured by Americans.

The UK does in fact still require by law Christian worship in its schools.

The Americans had many more soldiers in the field in WWI than did the Canadians, about four million more.

And don't leave out: the sun does indeed rise in the east.

Anything else?
straa

Dartford, UK

#45250 Dec 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Four million troops. 4,300,000-4,700,00, depending on whose figures you want to use.
Pull up your pants, Packy.
Next.
So you can't find the post, so now you are revealed to be both wrong and a liar, you have failed to show the post where I said Canada had more troops than USA, because there is no post, so now you have been proven to be wrong and a liar, I take it you will no longer be posting here, yes
straa

UK

#45251 Dec 21, 2012
Show me the post, show me the post, show me the post, or forever be revealed as the liar you are, I want to see the post where I said Canada had more troops than america, where is that post barefoot, I am waiting, what's the matter, cat got your tongue
straa

UK

#45252 Dec 21, 2012
Come on barefoot, why have you gone all wiry, I'm still waiting for you to show the post where I said Canada had more soldiers than America, show the post or reveal yourself as a liar, I'm waiting and waiting, show me the post, show me the post, or just admit that you are wrong and lied, its not difficult, its only a few words, but you can't say them, can you, show the post or be revealed as a liar

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 16 min Eagle 12 - 1,368
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 36 min 15th Dalai Lama 78,569
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Science 32,430
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web