In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#44787 Dec 14, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
If you can't stand the idea of a symbol like a cross on a municipal lawn
Myself: I use a paper punch.

Perhaps you have handled one of my bills?

It isn't the same thing, darling, putting aside my personal feelings re: the US motto.

Can you tell me (for example) how many US dollar bills are printed with the cross embossed upon it?

PS: If the local municipality were to erect a cross- even temporarily- on public property, I would not wait a day before moving to having it removed.

Location hidden

#44788 Dec 14, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
The UK is cosmetically a monarchy.
The United KING_dom is a monarchy in every sense of the English word MONARCHY.

No matter how hard you stomp your feet.

Location hidden

#44789 Dec 14, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
Has anyone suggested otherwise?
Yes.

Location hidden

#44790 Dec 14, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
There isn't much worse symbolizism then just coming right out and saying and printing it on something is there?
"It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency ‘In God We Trust’ has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion."

Aronow v. United States, 432 F.2d 242 (9th Cir. 1970)
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#44791 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
""It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency ‘In God We Trust’ has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. "
Next?
Neither does a cross standing at what is a memorial to dead people but that doesn't stop you the whiney atheist from throwing a fit about that and claiming it offends them so much it need be removed. But it only offends them if it's in a community that can't afford the lawsuit, they aren't so offended in the financially secure and well defended by expensive lawyer communities. Wonder why? Yes, you all are very selective about being offended by religous symbols.

Next....yeah I'd put that too if I wanted to quickly change the subject. Don't you have more in God we trust money to spend? It's getting close to the celebration of Jesus birth!!!!

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#44792 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not appointed.
Nominated (by Nixon) and the elected.
You left out: Congress followed the nomination by a vote in both Houses.
As provided by the US Constitution.
First he was absolutely appointed as as successor.
SupaAFC

Epsom, UK

#44793 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, SuperFag can never go by what I actually say
Except what Barefoot actually says.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
even wioth DOZENS of comments to choose from
Otherwise known as "spam".
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
but what SuperFag has to construe as to what I must have meant based on what he could understand.
They are called analogies. Analogies are extremely useful literary devices how to demonstrate your and like-minded people's (such as fundamentalists) one-track logic can be easily refuted when applied to other cases.

For instance: your whole tangent about Britain being undemocratic whether it's about the monarchy or the Lords or your PM strawman are easily-refuted when we apply the same literal logic to the United States.

Only through special pleading do you claim that your one-track arguments do not apply to the United States.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even when he cannot bring himself to understand basics, e.g., the UK is a monarchy, not a democracy.
So says the manchild who cannot bring himself to understand basics, e.g., that the monarchy is a figurehead and that Britain is run by a democratically-elected Parliamentary form of government.

---

As a side note I express to you and every American my condolences regarding the Newton school shooting.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#44794 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The United KING_dom is a monarchy in every sense of the English word MONARCHY.
No matter how hard you stomp your feet.
When's the last time a monarch refused a PM?

Monarchy, yes.

Cosmetic.

Location hidden

#44795 Dec 14, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
Seems your "sensitivity" is something you have already managed to live with.
Human beings live with compromises.

When I was put on the grand jury- as part of the process- I was asked to swear to God to perform my duties (yaddah yaddah).

I refused (politely)- and the world did not come to an end and I was taken down into the basement and beaten by bible bearing bailiffs.

The judge say (and I quote): "Oh..."

And then he had me swear without the reference to God.

The Borderland of Sol

#44796 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Nice sneaky clip, there.

To which of your references do you refer?

There were several.

The Borderland of Sol

#44797 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency ‘In God We Trust’ has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion."
Aronow v. United States, 432 F.2d 242 (9th Cir. 1970)
So?

Location hidden

#44798 Dec 14, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> First he was absolutely appointed as as successor.
He was nominated.

Not appointed.

If Congress didn't vote him in (...VOTE HIM IN)- he would not have been the vice president.

To paraphrase Paul Simon... Your lack of education does hurt you some.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#44799 Dec 14, 2012
"As a" not AS AS... even

Location hidden

#44800 Dec 14, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
Yes, you all are very selective about being offended by religous symbols.
I doubt that I have ever been "offended" by a religious symbol.

Putting aside the symbolism attached to the unfortunate Hindu swastika...

Location hidden

#44801 Dec 14, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So?
Keeping working on your ESL classes.

Location hidden

#44802 Dec 14, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>When's the last time a monarch refused a PM?
The last time a monarch appointed one was two years ago.

And every PM before him.

Monarch's prerogative, ya know.

Location hidden

#44803 Dec 14, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Except what Barefoot actually says.
Except if you quoted me, you would have what I said exactly instead of explaining to everyone what you are sure you think what I meant by what I said which you failed to quote.

Location hidden

#44804 Dec 14, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
They are called analogies.
When you make something up and attribute it to me it isn't an analogy, it is a lie.

I am sure it means the same thing over in England as it does here: a lie.

Location hidden

#44805 Dec 14, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
For instance: your whole tangent about Britain being undemocratic whether it's about the monarchy or the Lords or your PM strawman are easily-refuted when we apply the same literal logic to the United States.
You have problems with the words "literal" and "figurative" and seem to think you can use them interchangeably.

You can't.

The UK (United KING_dom) is a monarchy. Literally. Exactly. Factually. The head of state of the United KING_dom is a monarch who has never been elected to that office, he (or she) is born into that office.

The prime minister of the UK is APPOINTED.

Not voted.

APPOINTED. Literally. Exactly. Factually. That is what happens, no matter how hard you stomp your feet. If the monarch wants to choose to appoint the person the ruling party (or in some cases, minority party) puts forward: She can if she wants but she is not compelled to do so.

And when you insisted that I find a case where the ruling party did not vote for the PM, I gave him to you and you started coughing and crying and called it a "unique" exception.

And when I suggest that I could show you another if you stop posting here: you got quiet.

It seems you are catching up to me knowing I know your history better than do you.

The POTUS is elected. You may not like it- many Americans would have have the direct process- but it is still an election.

Literally. Exactly. Factually.

Location hidden

#44806 Dec 14, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
the monarchy is a figurehead and that Britain is run by a democratically-elected Parliamentary form of government.
The smaller half of the Parliament is elected; the larger half is appointed. The head of state is a monarch; the monarch chooses the prime minister.

And every law the Parliament passes has to go through the monarch who has final say so on whether or not it because law.

The United KING_dom is a monarchy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min u196533dm 79,743
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sun Dogen 32,575
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sat blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
News Can You Be Good Without God? Sep 13 blacklagoon 3 43
More from around the web