In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
43,121 - 43,140 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#44707 Dec 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to play "let's make up our own facts", then sure, I am game.
Barefoot doesn't know who Lionel Ritchie is.
WAHHHHHHH! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! MOMMY! Barefoot2626 put his foot up my azz AGAIN! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Location hidden

#44708 Dec 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
I have to keep reminding you that you get your responses mixed up with the posters you "debate" with on these forums. I have never claimed that the PM is elected by MPs; the PM gets his position by virtue of being the leader of the party in government.
The PM is appointed by the monarch.

Do try to keep up.

Location hidden

#44709 Dec 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
I know: Barefoot refuses to go below the surface of his arguments because
Because the anser is right there on the surface:

The United KING*dom is a monarchy.

The prime minister of this monarchy is APPOINTED by the monarch.
Nancy0714

Plainfield, IN

#44710 Dec 13, 2012
Although these may seem rather lengthy for some to read and there are only a few I have listed here, but to me, it seems that our Forefathers did base the founding of this country on Christian principles. Having said that, one does have the freedom to worship or not, anything or anybody they so desire. So......MERRY "CHRIST"MAS Y'all. And if that offends you....MOVE!:)

John Quincy
SIXTH PRESID...ENT OF THE UNITED STATES; DIPLOMAT; SECRETARY OF STATE; U. S. SENATOR; U. S. REPRESENTATIVE; “OLD MAN ELOQUENT”; “HELL-HOUND OF ABOLITION”

My hopes of a future life are all founded upon the Gospel of Christ and I cannot cavil or quibble away [evade or object to].... the whole tenor of His conduct by which He sometimes positively asserted and at others countenance...s [permits] His disciples in asserting that He was God.7

The hope of a Christian is inseparable from his faith. Whoever believes in the Divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures must hope that the religion of Jesus shall prevail throughout the earth. Never since the foundation of the world have the prospects of mankind been more encouraging to that hope than they appear to be at the present time. And may the associated distribution of the Bible proceed and prosper till the Lord shall have made “bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God”[Isaiah 52:10].8

In the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior. The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.9

Patrick Henry
Ratifier of the U.S. Constitution

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
--The Trumpet Voice of Freedom: Patrick Henry of Virginia, p. iii.
nd been more encouraging to that hope than they appear to be at the present time. And may the associated distribution of the Bible proceed and prosper till the Lord shall have made “bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God”[Isaiah 52:10].8

In the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior. The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.9

Congress, 1854

The great, vital, and conservative element in our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and the divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.25

Alexander Hamilton

Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Ratifier of the U.S. Constitution

"I have carefully examined the evidences of the Christian religion, and if I was sitting as a juror upon its authenticity I would unhesitatingly give my verdict in its favor. I can prove its truth as clearly as any proposition ever submitted to the mind of man."
--Famous American Statesmen, p. 126

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#44711 Dec 13, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Well, it wasn't a brilliant harvest this year, was it?
<quoted text>
Hehehe.

Thought you'd get the reference.

I refer, of course, to the 1972 classic with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee, not the 2006 cockup with I-don't-care-who.

Location hidden

#44712 Dec 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
Elizabeth did nothing but rubber stamp a decision
The monarch asked opinions of two people for whom she had respect.

The decision was entirely hers to make.

No matter how hard you stomp your feet, SuperFag.

Location hidden

#44713 Dec 13, 2012
Nancy0714 wrote:
Although these may seem rather lengthy for some to read and there are only a few I have listed here, but to me, it seems that our Forefathers did base the founding of this country on Christian principles.
I guess that explains why most of the "forefathers" owned slaves.

Eh?

Location hidden

#44714 Dec 13, 2012
Nancy0714 wrote:
Alexander Hamilton
A monarchist.

Location hidden

#44715 Dec 13, 2012
Nancy0714 wrote:
--The Trumpet Voice of Freedom: Patrick Henry of Virginia
Slave owner.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#44716 Dec 13, 2012
Apart from as Big Daddy, I-don't-care-who has been dire for years now.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hehehe.
Thought you'd get the reference.
I refer, of course, to the 1972 classic with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee, not the 2006 cockup with I-don't-care-who.
SupaAFC

Sheffield, UK

#44717 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
WAHHHHHHH! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! MOMMY! Barefoot2626 put his foot up my azz AGAIN! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Is that why none of your three short, tiny, non-factual responses actually addressed the Macmillan issue?

Run away, manchild.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#44718 Dec 14, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Apart from as Big Daddy, I-don't-care-who has been dire for years now.
<quoted text>
"Con Air".

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#44719 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Amended in 2010.
So?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The sun rises in the east. School children in the US recite the ledge of allegiance.
I can tell you from personal experience, when 30 children bleat "under God" in the morning, the sky does open up and a light fall down from the heavens.
Chicken Little you are?
Yes it’s called clouds and weather and gullibility. Funny that, the word gullibility is not in American dictionaries, why?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who is insisting the sun doesn't rise in the east.
I'm the one who said the United KING_dom is a monarchy, and you (et al.) are the ones insisting otherwise.
You want to pretend that uttering the words "under God" is some kind of Christian patronage in the USA but you live in a country that has a LAW requiring Christian worship in 'public' schools -actual PRAYER- and a country that has a STATE religion and a country whose head of state is the head of that state religion.
It's hard to take you seriously, Skanque.
Ahh thanks for bringing up your mistakes, errors and stupidity, Several times I have shown you sites of maps and date lines to prove that the UK is east of the UK and therefore the sun rises on the UK before it rises in the US. And so what did you do? You came up with the BS that Hawaii receives it sun 14 hours before the UK when unfortunately for you it receives it 10 hours later and there is a recognised international date line west of Hawaii to prove you wrong. Yet still you insist on being stupid.

I have NEVER said the UK is not a monarchy, you are the one who said that I said it, in other words you repeatedly LIED. I have stated that the UK is a monarch several times and have shown you links to government and the queens own site to show you the FACTS. You are the one ignoring the FACTS and insisting on being stupid

Which god? Of course it is a christian thing in the US, or perhaps they mean Odin or Kali or Zeus or Jupiter? Or any one of the 3700+ other deities lying around in literature. Nope they capitalise the G in the way of good christians so we are talking the abramamic god and by law (L A W) the majority of US pupils must give patronage BY LAW.

In 2008, eight states had no laws requiring students recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school. That number has recently dwindled to five, with Nebraska being the latest state to adopt a statewide mandate.

Louis Bowman introduced the under god BS, he was chaplain. Soon after the Catholic fraternal service organization also started using the words. Then Holger Christian Langmack wrote to Truman suggesting the words were included nation-wide, Langmack was a christian religious leader. It goes on for another couple of years with the christian right pushing for it’s inclusion until finally the pledge was amended under the watch of the newly baptised presbyterian christian, Eisenhower

“Some kind of Christian patronage”, yes, live with those facts.

Yes the law exits, what does that mean? It means that the law exists, great, the law as repeatedly stated by several people who “actually live” in the UK (and not just read cherry picked articles as you do) is not relevant in today’s society.

Unlike the law in all but 5 US states that insist that pupils recite the pledge and thus give homage to a myth (and a piece of cloth)

Oh drippydick you are such an ignorant fool.

#44720 Dec 14, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
The easiest way to deal with him is to respond only to his first post. Barefoot's tactic is to substitute quality with quantity so tries his upmost to overwhelm people with waves of posts that do not really differ much at all.
Barefoot: everybody's favourite manchild whack-a-mole.
He tries… He fails… That is the lot of the average dim-witted manchild

Is it his fault he has no friends? OK perhaps that was the wrong question, of course it’s his fault.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#44721 Dec 14, 2012
That's just two decent performances in 15 years...
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Con Air".

#44722 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I point to the stains on your pillowcases, and to your sticky gums.
As I said - Prove it cocksucker.

We are not interested in your ignorance, lies, wet dreams and JW imagination
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times to I have to explain to you, Sticky, that the law in the UK requires "public" schools *provide* religious worship, not that it forces children to attend?
I understand it is beyond you- that having a school by law provide religious worship is government establishment of (in the UK ) state religion.
Who cares, the fact remains that it is not relevant in today’s society. Unlike the increased forcing by LAW for children to recite the pledge of allegiance and patronage of the christian god.

No you understand fookall but that’s your problem, not mine
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Temper, temper!
Between the two of us, BTW, you are the one that notices the drips.
What has showing you do be a cocksucker got to do with temper?

I have never met you so don’t notice the stains on the front of your pyjama bottoms. I do however take note of your hateful, ignorant, spiteful, vindictive and untrue posts and can only assume that the reason for your uncivilised behaviour is syphilis affecting your brain, and of course staining your trousers with a foul smelling puss. It could of course be something else completely that makes you a gibbering nutcase, please advise if I have made the wrong assumption.
dr fill

Des Plaines, IL

#44723 Dec 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The monarch asked opinions of two people for whom she had respect.
The decision was entirely hers to make.
No matter how hard you stomp your feet, SuperFag.
I bet you hit on some slaves back then hah pops?
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#44724 Dec 14, 2012
Atheist are not in any "closet". They are running all over the country trying to find communities that can't afford law suits, schools, companies, and anyone else that is in no position to hire lawyers and spend thousands in court trying to defend themselves from the atheist whining that some cross is "offending" them even though they are not from the area the cross is in at all and never have too or would have to see it if they hadn't gone out in search of it to begin with.
They are the biggest whiners I've ever heard of in my life. Offended by a cross, any symbol of religious belief, or any symbol of Christmas other than the "Santa" side of it. Whiners the whole lot of them. If you can be so offended by a "symbol" you don't even have to look at if you don't want too then you are too freakin sensitive to exist at all. Go back under your rock where you only have to look at the things that don't hurt your little eyes to look at.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#44725 Dec 14, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
Atheist are not in any "closet". They are running all over the country trying to find communities that can't afford law suits, schools, companies, and anyone else that is in no position to hire lawyers and spend thousands in court trying to defend themselves from the atheist whining that some cross is "offending" them even though they are not from the area the cross is in at all and never have too or would have to see it if they hadn't gone out in search of it to begin with.
They are the biggest whiners I've ever heard of in my life. Offended by a cross, any symbol of religious belief, or any symbol of Christmas other than the "Santa" side of it. Whiners the whole lot of them. If you can be so offended by a "symbol" you don't even have to look at if you don't want too then you are too freakin sensitive to exist at all. Go back under your rock where you only have to look at the things that don't hurt your little eyes to look at.
Well said.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#44726 Dec 14, 2012
You seem damaged. Show the nice officer where your priest touched you.
X Obama Supporter wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 36 min CunningLinguist 402
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr well 226,244
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr CunningLinguist 21,498
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 6 hr Patrick 10
100% Faith Free 6 hr Patrick 8
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 6 hr Patrick 26
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 8 hr Patrick 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••