In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
42,801 - 42,820 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013
Thinking

UK

#44381 Dec 5, 2012
T20's a bit of fun but ODI can depend too much on the toss. ODI is my least favourite flavour for the reason you gave below.
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true.
Would not help your cause if you get them out for sub 300 and they skittle you out for 150.
That is why I love Test cricket - you need to be consistently good to win they game.
I like the shorter versions, ODI and T20, but they can be turned on a dime. Chris Gayle hits 27 off an over off you, and the whole complexion changes. Likewise, Dale Steyn take 3 wickets and suddenly, the momentum has shifted.
In Test cricket, the game does not turn on a dime. One over's brilliance alone would not win a match

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#44382 Dec 5, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy to be pedantic when you are right.
Not so easy for you when you are consistently wrong, eh, SKanque?
Here's an example to make it easier for you to understand the difference between 'elected' and 'appointed':
The president of the United states is ELECTED.
The prime minister of the United KINGdom is APPOINTED.
Itís easy to be pedantic when you IGNORE the evidence.

Was it the 14 amendment that takes away you right to vote for who will become president?

Electoral College!!!
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no?
Is Ireland west of England, yes or no?
*COUGH*
Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no?- Ignored in the grounds that I have repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly given you the answer to this stupid, idiotically moronic question

Is Ireland west of England, yes or no?- As is Wales and Scotland is to the north. France is to the south, Belgium the Netherlands to the south east. East is Germany and Denmark,

What point are you trying (and failing) to make here?

Ok yes and less of the wacky backy will ease you cough.
Thinking

UK

#44383 Dec 5, 2012
I'm no expert but Ireland would have a team of their own.

England, Wales and Scotland and NI? Now that's tricky. We merged those football teams into Team UK for the home Olympics but a) we are sh!t because UK footballers are selfish wankers and b) we won't be doing that for 2016.

I'd certainly like to see separate England, Wales and Scotland teams for Olympic rugby.
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
A question:
You know that the IOC are trying to get Rugby Sevens into the Olympics? After that, the IRB may move to get the fifteen-man code added as well.
Where will Ireland fall then? You and I both know that Ireland has a decent rugby team and can compete on their own.
Or will the Nations come together, to form a B&I Lions team, while Southern Ireland plays on their own?
I rather like the idea of seeing a Lions team compete at the Olympics...

#44384 Dec 5, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Skanque, thanks for repeating the lie.
Keep repeating it.
OK

Electoral college??? Part of your political system, I know you have problems understanding

So you are saying that the Electoral College is a lie? That it does not exist?
Or are you saying that the electoral college does not appoint proposed president and vice presidnet?

And you do you accuse of lying?

#44385 Dec 5, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
We Freed England's people yet they have no idea how it came to be so. America Free's the World!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hjoxJsgbWbMXX
No need to lie?

You helped, there is a major difference between doing it all by yourself and doing it in a team

What p|sses people off, particularly the other members of that team is when one section of that team lies by claiming they did it on their own.

Not only does it p|ss off the other people who were involved or whose relatives lost lives by being involved it does fookall to enhance the credibility of the US
SupaAFC

Pitlochry, UK

#44386 Dec 5, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you stopped raping children, yes or no?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch this, SuperFag, nothing up the sleeve...
Yes, the UK is a monarchy.
Back up wording?
Here we go again... the hand is quicker than the eye... Ireland is an island west of England, yes or no?
I cannot help you painted yourself into a corner, you stupid dolt.
Watch this, Barefoot, nothing up the sleeve...
Yes, Barefoot has stopped raping children.
Back up wording?
Here we go again... Barefoot is a coward... Barefoot sets up loaded questions... Barefoot has stopped raping children, yes or no?

What's good for the goose...
Thinking

UK

#44387 Dec 5, 2012
It's not for us to prove bsfoot has stopped raping children.

None of us can prove that.
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Watch this, Barefoot, nothing up the sleeve...
Yes, Barefoot has stopped raping children.
Back up wording?
Here we go again... Barefoot is a coward... Barefoot sets up loaded questions... Barefoot has stopped raping children, yes or no?
What's good for the goose...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#44388 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís easy to be pedantic when you IGNORE the evidence.
Was it the 14 amendment that takes away you right to vote for who will become president?
Electoral College!!!
Over here in America, Americans vote indirectly for POTUS.

You do understand the difference between direct and indirect?

And as I pointed your at least a dozen times- as many times as you have toes- the electoral college VOTES for the POTUS.

Votes.

Compared to... I don't know let me see... oh, over in the United KINGdom where the prime minister is appointed by the monarch.

Location hidden

#44389 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no?- Ignored in the grounds that I have repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly given you the answer to this stupid, idiotically moronic question
You take a long time to ignore something.

I bet you ignored your ex husband out of the house, eh?

Location hidden

#44390 Dec 5, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already responded to the question I asked of you, SuperFag:

I have already established you don't know what a loaded question is.

Location hidden

#44391 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
OK
Electoral college??? Part of your political system, I know you have problems understanding
You have told us that the electoral college appoints the POTUS.

I have told you the electoral college elects the POTUS.

One of us is right, and one of us is wrong.

So far, you have not been right.
Go Girl

Rochelle, IL

#44392 Dec 5, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Over here in America, Americans vote indirectly for POTUS.
You do understand the difference between direct and indirect?
And as I pointed your at least a dozen times- as many times as you have toes- the electoral college VOTES for the POTUS.
Votes.
Compared to... I don't know let me see... oh, over in the United KINGdom where the prime minister is appointed by the monarch.
Shut up fool. It's retarded ck skrs like you who give the real Americans a bad reputation.
Over here in the USA idiots like you vote for people like Obama.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#44393 Dec 5, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you are enjoying something we gave you.
But you have no clue what it is.
what is that fat food and war ?

Location hidden

#44394 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Is Ireland west of England, yes or no?- As is Wales
As I said: Ireland is to the west of England.

In answer to the question: Is Ireland to the west of England, yes or no? the correct response could be one word, yes. It contains no no assumptions, and the respondent who answers the question directly admits to accepting that assumption.

The question: Is Ireland to the west of England, yes or no? therefore is not a loaded question.

HMMMMMMMMMM.

It contains no assumptions, and the respondent who answers the question directly does not have to assume that assumption, and there is no consequence in responding outside of looking like an idiot if he or she is wrong.

Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no? Is it a loaded question?

It is not.

Location hidden

#44395 Dec 5, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I
None of us can prove that.
The round dot on your house and your ankle bracelet does that for us, Chester.

Location hidden

#44396 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
What p|sses people off, particularly the other members of that team is when one section of that team lies by claiming they did it on their own.
You mean like all your anti-USA tirades, you denying the vital help the UK got from the USA in two world wars?

Why don't you show everyone where an American said they did it on their own.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#44397 Dec 5, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said: Ireland is to the west of England.
In answer to the question: Is Ireland to the west of England, yes or no? the correct response could be one word, yes. It contains no no assumptions, and the respondent who answers the question directly admits to accepting that assumption.
The question: Is Ireland to the west of England, yes or no? therefore is not a loaded question.
HMMMMMMMMMM.
It contains no assumptions, and the respondent who answers the question directly does not have to assume that assumption, and there is no consequence in responding outside of looking like an idiot if he or she is wrong.
Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no? Is it a loaded question?
It is not.
You don't know jack sh*t about what it means to be British, there's a f*cking loaded statement for you, you piss poor excuse for an armchair politician.

Nobody here give a flaying f*ck about your opinion here you sad old man. Least of all atheists.

Location hidden

#44398 Dec 5, 2012
Go Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up fool. It's retarded ck skrs like you who give the real Americans a bad reputation.
Anything you say, Honeybooboo.

Gosh... Packy... it looks like some of your relatives have settled over here...

Location hidden

#44399 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
So you are saying that the Electoral College is a lie? That it does not exist?
One of our many differences, Skanque: I don't have to make up things you do not say to prove my point (which I have to do a few dozen times before you run away without confessing that I was right all along).

Location hidden

#44400 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Or are you saying that the electoral college does not appoint proposed president and vice presidnet?
A short blurb, do see the word "elected" featured prominently... not appointed.

How Does The Electoral College Work?
Kathy Gill

Although we cast a ballot for a presidential nominee on election day (the first Tuesday in November), in reality we are selecting "electors" -- those people who will cast the deciding ballot. The electoral college is a non-direct election artifact created by the Founding Fathers, most of whom distrusted direct democracy. Electoral votes are based on congressional representation -- the sum of senators and representatives. The total is 538, and 270 votes are needed to be elected.

Each state has electors equal to the number of its Senators and Representatives in the U.S. Congress. In addition, per the Twenty-third Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the District of Columbia has been granted electors as though it were a state. Even though the political parties hold primary elections in U.S. territories, U.S. territories are not represented in the Electoral College.

Forty-eight states and the District of Columbia have adopted a winner-take-all popular vote system: the candidate who wins the most votes in the state wins the support of all of that stateís electors.

In two states, Maine (4 electors) and Nebraska (5 electors), a single elector is allocated within each Congressional district and two electors are chosen by statewide popular vote. Maine initiated this practice in 1972; Nebraska, 1992. The 2008 election was the first where either state split its electoral votes. Nebraska allocated one electoral vote to Barack Obama and four to John McCain.

Casting The Electoral Votes
Electors meet in their respective state capitals on the Monday after the second Wednesday in December to cast their electoral votes on separate ballots for President and Vice President. In 2008, that meeting will be held December 15.

Each elector casts one vote for President and one vote for Vice President. Electors are technically free to vote for anyone eligible to be President, but in practice an elector pledges to vote for a specific candidate.

Five copies of the state's Certificate of Vote are completed and signed by each Elector. One copy is sent to President of the U.S. Senate (the sitting Vice President of the United States) by certified mail.

The Twelfth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution mandates that the Congress assemble in joint session to count the electoral votes and declare the winners (president and vice president) of the election. Subsequent federal law sets the date for this joint session of Congress: the sixth day of January in the calendar year immediately following the meetings of the presidential electors.

The meeting is held at 1:00 p.m. EST in U.S. House of Representatives, and each chamber appoints two tellers to count the vote. If there are no objections, the presiding officer declares the result of the vote. To be valid, an objection must be lodged by both a Senator and a Representative.

In order to be elected, a candidate must have a majority (since 1964, at least 270) of the electoral votes. Should no candidate for President win a majority of the electoral votes, the decision is referred to the U.S. House of Representatives. Should no candidate for Vice President possess a majority of the electoral votes, the decision is referred to the U.S. Senate.

Should there be an electoral vote tie (such as 269-to-269) or no candidate receives a majority of the electoral votes (such as 268-267-3), then the U.S. House of Representatives must go into session immediately to select the President. The U.S. Constitution limits the House to selecting from the top three Presidential candidates. Each state delegation has only one vote and the District of Columbia does not have a vote. A candidate must receive an absolute majority of the votes (26) to become the President-elect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min Patrick 226,536
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 21,519
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 10 hr Patrick 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 13 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••