In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51425 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#43672 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the point, they can't, that's where the constitution part of constitutional monarchy comes in.
The Queen can in the UK.

Are you not following along?
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43673 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Queen can in the UK.
Are you not following along?
"The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that introduced fixed-term elections for the first time to the Westminster parliament. Under the provisions of the Act, parliamentary elections must be held every five years, beginning in 2015."

(...)

"Before the passage of the Act, Parliament could be dissolved by royal proclamation by virtue of the Royal Prerogative. This originally meant that the British Monarch decided when to dissolve Parliament. Over time, the monarch increasingly acted only on the advice of the Prime Minister; by the nineteenth century, Prime Ministers had the de facto power to dissolve Parliament and call a new general election at a time of their choosing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-term_Parli...

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#43674 Nov 23, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Problems with your dentures again?
Still that same hateful atheist you always are.

Location hidden

#43675 Nov 23, 2012
(*quote)
The monarch has the power to:

Choose the Prime Minister.
Dismiss ministers and governments.
Dissolve Parliament.
Refuse to agree to legislation passed by Parliament.
Dismiss the governments of other countries of which she is monarch.
Pardon convicted criminals.
Declare a state of emergency.
Issue proclamations.
Command the army and raise a personal militia.

Location hidden

#43676 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
"Before the passage of the Act, Parliament could be dissolved by royal proclamation by virtue of the Royal Prerogative. This originally meant that the British Monarch decided when to dissolve Parliament. Over time, the monarch increasingly acted only on the advice of the Prime Minister; by the nineteenth century, Prime Ministers had the de facto power to dissolve Parliament and call a new general election at a time of their choosing."
Yes.

So?

You do understand (if you understand English): dissolving is now (and has always been) up to the monarch.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Nykvarn, Sweden

#43678 Nov 24, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Three for three; three constitutional monarchies with a powerless king or queen.
This is getting repetitive.
He's a stupid American they think they know more about the world and governments than everybody else in the whole world

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#43679 Nov 24, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Still that same hateful atheist you always are.
Better to be a hateful atheist, than a sad pathethic lying creationist whom nobody trusts because they go around lying about god non stop like a disease...
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43681 Nov 24, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
So?
You do understand (if you understand English): dissolving is now (and has always been) up to the monarch.
No, the fixed parliament act changes that. It makes it so that there are fixed elections in Great Britain and the monarch no longer dissolves parliament. The date on it is 2015 because that's when the next elections are...

And even if it does only go into effect in 2015, what difference does it make? I don't get why you are so desperately trying to prove the US is the number one country in the world in every way.

Refusing to accept that constitutional monarchies in Europe are democratic is just making you sound unreasonable and like you're stuck in the time of absolute monarchs. Surely that can't be your intention. Maybe you should look into using a more modern and nuanced definition of a democracy. This is a complicated matter and dictionnary definitions aren't always ideal.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#43682 Nov 24, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You will see I put QUOTES around the term as it is used by others, not by me.
But quotes or not: it is a monarchy- and a "constitutional" monarchy (that is to say, those monarchies that have a written constitution but that are monarchies) are still-- pay attention- MONARCHIES.
I understand: you NotBots are in the position of acknowledging (yet again) the facts support me, and not you.
Clearly you are on to something semantically speaking. Practically speaking, the closest thing to a Monarch (in your sense of the word) may still exist ruling some undiscovered pygmy tribe deep in the jungles of Papal New Guinea or something. So yeah ... you're "right" but oh-so-terribly "WRONG" at the same time. Makes for a lot of good arguing I guess. Really helps rack up that oh-so-important Post total number. As if mere volume compensates for lack of substance. Must of been what God was thinking when he "created" the vacuum.

Location hidden

#43683 Nov 24, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a stupid American they think they know more about the world and governments than everybody else in the whole world
I'm smart enough to not insist that Sweden is not a democracy when everyone in the whole world know it is not, and that you are wrong.
Anonymous

UK

#43684 Nov 24, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No Packy, I am sure you don't understand what an exchange rate is.
The Exchange rate, yes, and in that exchange rate the British pound is still worth more than the dollar, and has been for generations, probably forever infact

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#43685 Nov 24, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
it was a normal working day here in sweden but thanks anyway
As a Native American, I can tell you very honestly that you can celebrate Thanksgiving with me. All you have to do is remember how the aliens landed, pretend you invited the Native Americans who saved your sorry butts the first winter you were here, and VOILA!, Thanksgiving.

It is a time of good food, good friends and wonderful family. I give you my permission therefore to celebrate with me the same time next year!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#43687 Nov 24, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
The Exchange rate, yes, and in that exchange rate the British pound is still worth more than the dollar, and has been for generations, probably forever infact
I found what I called "The Cheeseburger Factor" a far better predictor of economic health than any other indicator. Basically, it involves how many cheeseburgers you can buy on the local currency compared to an equivalent purchasing experience in the USA. From this data, it is EASY to see that most of the world's economies suck. Big time.

Location hidden

#43688 Nov 24, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the fixed parliament act changes that. It makes it so that there are fixed elections in Great Britain and the monarch no longer dissolves parliament.
"The royal prerogative to dissolve Parliament was abrogated by the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011. Section 6(1) of the Act however specifically states that the monarch's power to prorogue Parliament is not affected by the Act.

You notice the last thing: it took the royal assent to be passed?

And... the UK is still a monarchy... which are the goalposts...

Location hidden

#43689 Nov 24, 2012
Nikki wrote:
And even if it does only go into effect in 2015, what difference does it make? I don't get why you are so desperately trying to prove the US is the number one country in the world in every way.
Why don't you show everyone exactly where I tried to prove the USA is the #1 country in the world? in any way?

While you are looking, see if you notice the jingoism of the participants and when and where it was introduced exactly.

Anonymous

UK

#43691 Nov 24, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I found what I called "The Cheeseburger Factor" a far better predictor of economic health than any other indicator. Basically, it involves how many cheeseburgers you can buy on the local currency compared to an equivalent purchasing experience in the USA. From this data, it is EASY to see that most of the world's economies suck. Big time.
In Britain a hamburger is 59p, that's less than a dollar, the british currency is viable and stable through the financial industry, London being the financial capital of the world, and north sea oil, it was backed by gold, like every other country is trying to do now, but our idiot chancellor sold our gold a decade ago. In these times, currency must be backed by gold, this is Americas nightmare, world currencies backed by gold, gadaffi was about to do so with libyas currency, but as we all know, shit happens,so what is the dollar tied to, what stability does it have

Location hidden

#43692 Nov 24, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Moe-ron: the *exchange rate* for the pound to dollar has gone from 1 to more than 4 to 1 to less than 1.6.

That means the value of the pound compared to the dollar has dropped, no matter how hard you kick your feet.

An inch is bigger than a millimeter: does this make the millimeter better?

I am not going to teach you math.
Anonymous

UK

#43693 Nov 24, 2012
The American dollar used to be the fail safe world currency, but not any more, now no currency is really meaningfully, and certainly not the dollar, the only stable world standard now is gold, this means the death of the dollar as a global standard, other countries are gearing up to hammer the final mail in the dollars coffin, China and Russia, through their massive gold buying are preparing to change the world currency standard, bring the dollar down, in this currency war, America can't win, you are fiscally in to weak a position to try to maintain the dollar on top, everyone can smell the scent of death on America, getting ready to move in

Location hidden

#43694 Nov 24, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
In Britain a hamburger is 59p,
There are 25 millimeters to 1 inch.

It doesn't make the inch of more value than the millimeter.

Location hidden

#43695 Nov 24, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text> The US hasn't been number one
Stalking me now, dear?

Husband leave you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 24 min Eagle 12 27,275
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 57 min Subduction Zone 58,089
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr Dogen 1,904
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 5,962
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr Eagle 12 4,947
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 6 hr Eagle 12 1,940
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 8 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 153
More from around the web