In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments (Page 2,098)

Showing posts 41,941 - 41,960 of47,725
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Boeing are dying, its all airbus now
Go away, troll.

"United Airlines and US plane manufacturer Boeing have announced a "historic" order for 150 Boeing 737s Thursday in a deal worth up to $14.7bn (£9.5bn).

The order was announced in Chicago, corporate home for both companies, and is a major victory for the US firm against arch-rival Airbus.

United has ordered 100 of the new Boeing 737 Max 9 planes and 50 Boeing 737-900ER aircraft and taken an undisclosed number of options for additional aircraft.

Boeing said the deal meant it had now received more than 10,000 orders overall for aircraft from the 737 family making it the "undisputed best-selling jetliner in the world".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

straa wrote:
<quoted text>
So when I said MODERN tennis is British
The UK is a monarchy, yes or no?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. Now I'm confused. So now you're saying the UK is NOT a monarchy?!?!?
Keep up your reading lessons, Booby.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
To each and every one of you on this thread:
Happy Thanksgiving. Take care while you're driving to Grandma's house or wherever you go. Enjoy your day, your family and your friends.
This does not exclude anyone. Some things are just for 'Happy'.
it was a normal working day here in sweden but thanks anyway

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

RHill wrote:
I was kind of going for the "Constitutional Monarchy" thing, but now this ... your "NO", being capitalized and all, seems rather emphatic
There is no such thing as a democratic monarchy.

Save up and buy a dictionary.

PS: The UK has no Constitution.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
Hey peeps. Can anyone here help me with a debate I am having in the office.
"Killer" and "Murderer" can sometimes be used as synonyms (e.g. the man's killer/murderer was his wife - both words work)... But they are not always the same thing, am I right?
Murder is unlawful killing of a human by a human. So if there are "lawful" killings, then it means that in some cases a killer and a murderer would not be the same thing?
You are, of course, correct.

Lawful killing cannot be murder.

Thus, in cases of warfare, self-defence, lawful executions, there is definitely a killing, but not a murder.

Indeed, the oft-quoted "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation. The original is "Lo Tirtsach" (not responsible for spelling), which means "Thou shalt not murder" - an entirely different proposition.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Scotland didn't put enough tackles in and neither did they make it count when they had their share of the play.
Then there was that giveaway try.
Well, that is what we do best - we can defend. We may not have nearly the offensive power of the All Blacks, but we *know* how to keep the score down. Well played, though. After 50 minutes with the score at 21-3, I thought that the game, for all practical purposes, was over. Somehow you managed to rally, and was the best team on the field for the last 30

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You are, of course, correct.
Lawful killing cannot be murder.
Thus, in cases of warfare, self-defence, lawful executions, there is definitely a killing, but not a murder.
Indeed, the oft-quoted "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation. The original is "Lo Tirtsach" (not responsible for spelling), which means "Thou shalt not murder" - an entirely different proposition.
Many thanks, my bikini-adoring friend.

“There is no god!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Sweden is a democracy with a Constitution

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Mikko wrote:
And full of busty blondes.

“There is no god!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
And full of busty blondes.
most of them are fakes ;)
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

737s are naff, though. Ugly little planes.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go away, troll.
"United Airlines and US plane manufacturer Boeing have announced a "historic" order for 150 Boeing 737s Thursday in a deal worth up to $14.7bn (£9.5bn).
The order was announced in Chicago, corporate home for both companies, and is a major victory for the US firm against arch-rival Airbus.
United has ordered 100 of the new Boeing 737 Max 9 planes and 50 Boeing 737-900ER aircraft and taken an undisclosed number of options for additional aircraft.
Boeing said the deal meant it had now received more than 10,000 orders overall for aircraft from the 737 family making it the "undisputed best-selling jetliner in the world".

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as a democratic monarchy.
Save up and buy a dictionary.
PS: The UK has no Constitution.
Just want you to know ... it's really tough watching someone's mind go like this. You are the one suggested "constitutional monarchy" as the more descriptive term for UK's government. You are the first (perhaps in Human History) to bring "democratic monarchy" into a discussion. Your moments of clarity are becoming fewer and further between. Sad.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
PS: funny how the previous qualifying sentence fell off.
Here is the entire quote:
"How much profit did Concorde make for British Airways?
On average Concorde made and operating profit of £30-50 Million a year for British Airways in the boom years where many passengers were travelling first class. British Airways reportedly received £1.75 Billion in revenue for Concorde services against an operating cost of around £1 Billion. Air France made a much smaller profit. "
We have always know you were and are a liar, it's nice that you allow me an opportunity to prove it so frequently.
In the boom years...
And that isn't considering the tax subsidities, billions of dollars from France and the UK, where tax payers picked up one third of the actual cost.
Say what? is you syphilis playing you up worse than usual?

The ENTIRE paragraph makes you look silly, why the hell do you think I posted the link?

That is why I FIRST quoted the ENTIRE paragraph, only after you decided to pick and choose did I home on a particular section of the paragraph that you had chosen to ignore.

You really donít know much about the UK economy do you

The development of Concorde was a public works program, it cost money, the taxpayers paid, thatís what happens with pubic works programs. Letís face it, the same model was used for the development of the US 2707. In the UK 700 companies and 25000 people and were employed on Concorde development project in the UK alone. Every one of those 25000 people paid tax at around 3 times the rate of comparable US workers.

Although cancellation of the project was discussed it would have cost around the same co cancel it as to continue with the hope of getting a return on the investment. The UK and France chose to continue. Unlike the American 2707 which was cancelled at a cost to the US taxpayer similar to the development cost of Concorde. So suck a lemon.

Operation of concord was NOT tax funded, how much that upsets you does not really matter. You can rant and rave, you can stomp and shuffle, none of that will change facts.

British Airways said in the mid 80s that they would have bought another 2 or 3 if they had been available, hence proving that the airlines could operate the aircraft at a profit.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
sun rises in the east...
So sorry that FACTS upset you so much, actually no Iím not, I think itís great.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
"in the boom years"...
"State subsidies kept the Concorde going, but the handwriting was on the wall, especially after a Concorde crashed on takeoff at Charles de Gaulle airport outside Paris in July 2000, killing 113 people. Commercial service finally ended in 2003."
"Converted into todayís prices each Concorde has cost the British and French taxpayer about £1 billion. In addition to its Paris/London - New York routes, Concordeís main source of income is
flying luxury charters Ė sometimes simple loops around the Bay of Biscay with a glass of champagne for people who want to be able to say that they have experienced supersonic flight.
And the subsidy continues; the £6000 return fare from London to New York paid by business travellers is tax deductible. Claims by BA or Air France that Concorde operates at a profit rest on the fact that they acquired the planes at zero cost; the two national carriers were given the planes by governments embarrassed by the complete absence of commercial purchasers. Inconventional accounting terms Concorde can never make a profit."
Concord was not subsidised when it was in commercial operation.

Development cost over 1.1 Billion, money well spent

Say what? Maybe airfares are tax deductible in the US but they have NEVER been tax deductible in the UK

So sorry that FACTS upset you so much, actually no Iím not, I think itís great.

The Boeing 2707 was a total loss for US tax payers, go suck a lemon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Not only does he become fixated on the few correct things he posts, but he lives in the past. He argues about things that happened 75 years ago and can't let go of them.
The reason he can't talk about things in today's world is that he is here 24/7 posting about the past.
This the only way he can get attention

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Mikko wrote:
Official Name: Kingdom of Sweden

Government Type: Constitutional monarchy.

Head of State--King Carl XVI Gustaf

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what? is you syphilis playing you up worse than usual?
The ENTIRE paragraph makes you look silly, why the hell do you think I posted the link?
The sun rises in the east.

The Concorde was not a commercial success. The plan was for 1,800 jets, only 16 were finally flown commercially.

I know: math isn't your forte, yours, apparently, is one night stands. That figure would be less than one percent of the airliners were actually built.

The Concorde was a government boondoggle and it cost the taxpayers billions of dollars; every single passenger mile flown was subsidized by tax funds.

It isn't hard to turn a "profit" if you don't take into account the actual costs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
You really donít know much about the UK economy do you
Clearly I know more than you, dear, you want to insist the Concorde was "profitable" but you want to pretend the BILLIONS of dollars that were used to develop and build the Concorde fell from the sky.

Profit, you stupid skanque, means the Concorde would return more dollars than it cost.

Happy to see your PROOF that these tax dollars were return to French and UK tax payers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41,941 - 41,960 of47,725
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why do i deserve no respect. 20 min Amused 4
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 223,052
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Igor Trip 24
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr Mikko 21,328
Introducing The Universal Religion 23 hr NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
•••
•••