In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
41,901 - 41,920 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43449
Nov 21, 2012
 
I can see your ideological issue. If NASA and the USAF had ever received any public funding whatsoever you'd probably hate them too.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to have the government build your plane for you and have taxpayers pay for the gas, eh?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43450
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
I.E. It made an operating profit.
The jets were paid for by taxpayers and still lost money.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43451
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
Concorde was produced to aid Anglo French co-operation, and it was completely successful
Taxpayers' billions.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43452
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is stupid, you keep asking and you keep getting told that the UK is a monarchy – every single time you ask.
I'm not the one claiming the UK is a monarchy.

I'm not the one who confuses fictional movies with reality.

I'm not the one pretending the Concorde didn't cost tax payers billions.

I'm not the one pretending I don't weigh 18 stone, eh, Chubby?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43453
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
My guess is that you have found something you are correct about and so you have become fixated on a good thing.
It is helpful to remind you my positions don't change over the week and I'm not stuck trying to pretend someone who made a toy fly in the 1800 invented the airplane or that Britain wasn't desperate for the US help it got in WWI & WWII.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43454
Nov 21, 2012
 
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sun / east, UK/Monarchy, Wright Bros/ airplane
Yes
Yes
I did not ask what you rest on your chin when you are sucking your lover
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to have the government build your plane for you and have taxpayers pay for the gas, eh?
Not to clever are you?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And having the taxpayers pick up the bill so the wealthy could fly, yes, if you have money, you can have a jet fly three times the speed of sound, but better is: have the taxpayers pay for for you.
And you don't have to give a rat's azz about the people who had to put up with the noise or a the pollution it dumped into the atmosphere either, after all, it was windy and the pollution would just blow around, eh?
Concorde was not successful commercially, no matter how hard you stomp your hooves, Chubby.
FYI, concord was NOT subsidised when it was on commercial service you all your lying does is prove you lie.

Three quarters of a billion gross profit would see my through until retirement nicely
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The jets were paid for by taxpayers and still lost money.
It is documented that Concorde made an operating profit, your lies arm’s
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayers' billions.
It is documented that Concorde made an operating profit, your lies arm’s
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one claiming the UK is a monarchy.
I'm not the one who confuses fictional movies with reality.
I'm not the one pretending the Concorde didn't cost tax payers billions.
I'm not the one pretending I don't weigh 18 stone, eh, Chubby?
Only about ever other post
Only when you lie
Nor am I, however I am placing the profit and loss in there respective pigeonholes
No you weight 21 stone me obesity
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is helpful to remind you my positions don't change over the week and I'm not stuck trying to pretend someone who made a toy fly in the 1800 invented the airplane or that Britain wasn't desperate for the US help it got in WWI & WWII.
Only when you move your goalposts. An aeroplane is an Aeroplane, size does not matter. Not desperate but grateful
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43455
Nov 21, 2012
 
It wasn't free.

WWII payments from the UK to the USA didn't finish until 2006.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is helpful to remind you my positions don't change over the week and I'm not stuck trying to pretend someone who made a toy fly in the 1800 invented the airplane or that Britain wasn't desperate for the US help it got in WWI & WWII.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43456
Nov 21, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
I can see your ideological issue. If NASA and the USAF had ever received any public funding whatsoever you'd probably hate them too.
<quoted text>
I don't pretend NASA or the USAF made a profit or that they don't and haven't received tax funds and think that state sponsorship for every passenger did not need to be considered when uttering the word "profit".

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43457
Nov 21, 2012
 
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for finally admitting that this is nothing but a technicality.
Admit?

Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no?

My position has been yes, always.

No buts...

Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43458
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
British Airways reportedly received £1.75 Billion in revenue for Concorde services against an operating cost of around £1 Billion. Air France made a much smaller profit.
PS: funny how the previous qualifying sentence fell off.

Here is the entire quote:

"How much profit did Concorde make for British Airways?

On average Concorde made and operating profit of £30-50 Million a year for British Airways in the boom years where many passengers were travelling first class. British Airways reportedly received £1.75 Billion in revenue for Concorde services against an operating cost of around £1 Billion. Air France made a much smaller profit. "

We have always know you were and are a liar, it's nice that you allow me an opportunity to prove it so frequently.

In the boom years...

And that isn't considering the tax subsidities, billions of dollars from France and the UK, where tax payers picked up one third of the actual cost.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43459
Nov 21, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
It wasn't free.
WWII payments from the UK to the USA didn't finish until 2006.
<quoted text>
The UK did not come close to covering the actual costs- it was ten cents on the dollar.

And no, it wasn't free: 104,000 Americans died fighting in the European war.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43460
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
.
FYI, concord was NOT subsidised when it was on commercial service .
sun rises in the east...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43461
Nov 21, 2012
 
ChristineM wrote:
.
Three quarters of a billion gross profit would see my through until retirement nicely.
"in the boom years"...

"State subsidies kept the Concorde going, but the handwriting was on the wall, especially after a Concorde crashed on takeoff at Charles de Gaulle airport outside Paris in July 2000, killing 113 people. Commercial service finally ended in 2003."

"Converted into today’s prices each Concorde has cost the British and French taxpayer about £1 billion. In addition to its Paris/London - New York routes, Concorde’s main source of income is
flying luxury charters – sometimes simple loops around the Bay of Biscay with a glass of champagne for people who want to be able to say that they have experienced supersonic flight.

And the subsidy continues; the £6000 return fare from London to New York paid by business travellers is tax deductible. Claims by BA or Air France that Concorde operates at a profit rest on the fact that they acquired the planes at zero cost; the two national carriers were given the planes by governments embarrassed by the complete absence of commercial purchasers. Inconventional accounting terms Concorde can never make a profit."
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43462
Nov 21, 2012
 
Shame I was too young to enjoy that subsidy.

Next you'll be saying the Vietnamese still owe you for their pushbikes!

You are a silly little old man.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The UK did not come close to covering the actual costs- it was ten cents on the dollar.
And no, it wasn't free: 104,000 Americans died fighting in the European war.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43463
Nov 21, 2012
 
You accept Boeing also took bail outs, right?

If you don't, you're a cu*t. You are anyway, btw.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't pretend NASA or the USAF made a profit or that they don't and haven't received tax funds and think that state sponsorship for every passenger did not need to be considered when uttering the word "profit".

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43464
Nov 21, 2012
 
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The UK did not come close to covering the actual costs- it was ten cents on the dollar.
And no, it wasn't free: 104,000 Americans died fighting in the European war.
and anyone who thinks America won WWII ETO is woefully ignorant of actual history and completely dismisses Russia's contribution to destroying Germany

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43465
Nov 21, 2012
 
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one insisting the UK is a democracy, HOney.
HOboy! Neither is any one else. You're the only one who has said that. You've then argued with yourself to the point where you believe there are actually others insisting that the UK is not a monarchy.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43466
Nov 21, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
and anyone who thinks America won WWII ETO is woefully ignorant of actual history and completely dismisses Russia's contribution to destroying Germany
I am responsible for what I actually say, I'm not the jingoist who is insisting the English army had just won the war with negligible help from anyone else.

Of course, when considering the 'Russian' contribution to WWII, we should always remember they were Hitler's allies at the beginning of the war.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43467
Nov 21, 2012
 
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> HOboy! Neither is any one else. You're the only one who has said that.
Nope, NymHO.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43468
Nov 21, 2012
 
gamule wrote:
<quoted text>what makes this country great is that people can believe in what they want to believe in.Only time will tell the truth
Time is already telling the truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Patrick 357
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr CunningLinguist 224,019
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 6 hr Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 6 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 6 hr Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr Patrick 21,376
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr Thinking 831
•••
•••