In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
41,841 - 41,860 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43387
Nov 20, 2012
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The Concorde was a flop the same way the shuttle was for us.
The shuttle wasn't a flop, moron.

Have you heard of the Hubble?

The Concorde was to governments interfering in a commercial enterprise that ended up FAILING.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43388
Nov 20, 2012
 
I miss the Shuttle flights. Very poignant seeing it move at a snails pace to its resting place as opposed to 17000mph.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The Concorde was a flop the same way the shuttle was for us.
It was not economically viable as planned.
It never turned a profit , and was a prestige symbol more than anything. It was however the most awesome public transportation
ever assembled.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43389
Nov 20, 2012
 
Of course the Shuttle was a flop.

It didn't make half the flights it was meant to.
It was vastly more expensive than projected.
There is a gap in its succession planning.

It was originally meant to be slimmer, which should've made it a safer reentry vehicle. The SRBs were meant to be one piece. Then the committees got to it. I also saw a design where the manned, reusable Shuttle was much smaller and the payload was to be sent up on cheap automated rockets to meet the astronauts. I believe that was vetoed by the military satellite requirements. Government intervention, eh?

I still miss the Shuttle and Concorde but at least they existed.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The shuttle wasn't a flop, moron.
Have you heard of the Hubble?
The Concorde was to governments interfering in a commercial enterprise that ended up FAILING.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43390
Nov 20, 2012
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
It was not economically viable as planned.
The shuttle was NEVER planned to be "economically viable" commercial product- it was designed to be a multiple use space vehicle. There were 135 flights and if you look up in the sky a a dark night, you can see the space station that was built using shuttle.

The Concorde was funded by the governments of UK and France for the express purpose of making money.

It failed.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43391
Nov 20, 2012
 
No, not the legal definition. Just the definition, angry one.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/engl...
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How parochial of you to insist on the British legal definition, spooge breath.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43392
Nov 20, 2012
 
Wrong.
If you miss your targets, you're a flop.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The shuttle was NEVER planned to be "economically viable" commercial product- it was designed to be a multiple use space vehicle. There were 135 flights and if you look up in the sky a a dark night, you can see the space station that was built using shuttle.
The Concorde was funded by the governments of UK and France for the express purpose of making money.
It failed.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43393
Nov 20, 2012
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
Been married to a woman or ten , for more my life
than not. Always had one , or two.
But I do know exactly what you mean.
Marriage is like playing cards:

You start off with two hearts and a diamond.

You end up wanting a club and a spade.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43394
Nov 20, 2012
 
That makes my flight on Concorde even more special to me.

PS Boeing has been supported by the US taxpayer.
barefoot2626 wrote:
737's built without tax funding = 7,000+
Concordes built without tax funding = ZERO.
Including those built with British & French taxes (total)= 20.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43395
Nov 20, 2012
 
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The shuttle wasn't a flop, moron.
Have you heard of the Hubble?
The Concorde was to governments interfering in a commercial enterprise that ended up FAILING.
The shuttle was a great tool with redeeming qualities , but was a flop in the economically viable department . Same as concord.
The shuttle was built on the premise it would be cheaper to refurbish reusable parts to make a continual space launch system to launch systems into low orbit. It proved to be false.
That's why it has been canned.

It's cheaper to build expendable hardware, and toss it .
But also in a way , like the Concorde it was the most awesome space launch system ever sassembled.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43396
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
Of course the Shuttle was a flop.
It didn't make half the flights it was meant to.
It was vastly more expensive than projected.
There is a gap in its succession planning.
It was originally meant to be slimmer, which should've made it a safer reentry vehicle. The SRBs were meant to be one piece. Then the committees got to it. I also saw a design where the manned, reusable Shuttle was much smaller and the payload was to be sent up on cheap automated rockets to meet the astronauts. I believe that was vetoed by the military satellite requirements. Government intervention, eh?
I still miss the Shuttle and Concorde but at least they existed.
<quoted text>
Yeah man ^^
But the next generation by NASA will demand attention also.
Your country is involved also.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/

It will be the most powerful rocket system yet devised, and designed to take men to Mars and beyond.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43397
Nov 20, 2012
 
I'm also really excited by the Skylon engines being tested near me- now that could bring reusable spaceplanes back to our skies.

Too many useless wars eating up space research money!
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah man ^^
But the next generation by NASA will demand attention also.
Your country is involved also.
http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/
It will be the most powerful rocket system yet devised, and designed to take men to Mars and beyond.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43398
Nov 20, 2012
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The shuttle was a great tool with redeeming qualities , but was a flop in the economically viable department .
Repeating the same nonsense ad nauseum doesn't make true.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43399
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
That makes my flight on Concorde even more special to me.
PS Boeing has been supported by the US taxpayer.
Nope.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43400
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
I'm also really excited by the Skylon engines being tested near me- now that could bring reusable spaceplanes back to our skies.
Too many useless wars eating up space research money!
<quoted text>
War is sadly the death of us all , dreams included.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43401
Nov 20, 2012
 
And it seems they are determined we must wage this war with Iran.

They will decide our fate without a vote , but I can only hope humanity can resolve it's differences without the much anticipated hostilities .
In general we as a species have bigger worries than our inherit inability to co-exist peacefully. Hopefully we can overcome this shortfall before too late.

Some think it will take the discovery we are not alone in the universe to form any unity.

If that's the case ...then praise be to the ufo conspirators.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43402
Nov 20, 2012
 
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating the same nonsense ad nauseum doesn't make true.
What that the failure of the shuttle program was due to it being economically unviable? That is a reality we had to face , and one for the history books.

That's why the SLS system of expendable rockets was reborn.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43403
Nov 20, 2012
 
If only the US and the UK hadn't pushed over the Iranian democracy in 1951 on behalf of our oil interests, Iran would probably be very like Turkey today.

We don't half make things difficult for ourselves, sometimes.
Aura Mytha wrote:
And it seems they are determined we must wage this war with Iran.
They will decide our fate without a vote , but I can only hope humanity can resolve it's differences without the much anticipated hostilities .
In general we as a species have bigger worries than our inherit inability to co-exist peacefully. Hopefully we can overcome this shortfall before too late.
Some think it will take the discovery we are not alone in the universe to form any unity.
If that's the case ...then praise be to the ufo conspirators.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43404
Nov 20, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Well stop doing it, then.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating the same nonsense ad nauseum doesn't make true.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43405
Nov 20, 2012
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
Your country is involved also.
Right, because we know that someone showing posts for UK must be from the UK.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43406
Nov 20, 2012
 
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need to.
Do let me know when you learn the difference between direct voting, indirect voting, and not ever- never- getting to vote or any say at all.
I voted for the POTUS/VPOTUS two weeks ago.
Let us know when you get new meds for your severe OCD.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min number four 224,166
Our world came from nothing? 23 min Richardfs 218
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr NightSerf 21,394
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 14 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 17 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 17 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••