In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
41,781 - 41,800 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The British are also the inventors of the time machine and they used the time machine to send soccer back to China two thousand years ago.
Why do you talk so much bollocks?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jet engine was GERMAN invention.
The allies both got it from them.
Radar was invented by a German also, but the term RADAR was coined by an American. Eight countries developed radar separately between 1934-39. United States, Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, Japan, the Netherlands, France, and Italy.
Britain has had it's achievements in aviation , that is for sure.
The Concorde was more for publicity than for transportation.
It was a commercial flop and white elephant , even though it was an admirable aircraft.
Frank Whittle registered the patent in 1930 and had the first successful bench test April 1937. Hans von Ohainís design first ran in September 1937. However Ohainís engine was the first to fly in 1939. They are jointly accredited with inventing the Jet engine.

Christian Huelsmeyer was the first to discover the effect of radar in 1904, but radar was invented by three British scientists, Sir Robert Watson-Watt, A F Wilkins and H E Wimperis in 1935. Sir Henry Tizard put it to use in the War

Commercial flop? 27 years flying? Forget the US media hype. The ongoing benefits of Anglo French co-operation that started with Concorde are immeasurable and far outweigh the development costs. Certainly the BA Concordeís were operationally profitable. http://www.concordesst.com/retire/faq_r.html

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you want to be technical.
Like when I say the UK is a monarchy, I am only technically correct based on actual facts.
But I am sure Odoriferous Skanque will remind you that in 1927, a British schoolboy bit off the end of a straw wrapped in a paper sleeve, and blew on the end of the straw, sending the sleeve airborne, which is a jet... sort of.
More barfy butt face bollocks

You have nothing real so need to make BS up

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Tennis
First played: Between 1859 and 1865 (Birmingham, England)
French = 12th century
The Origins of Tennis - History of Tennis

"The History of tennis game was developed from a 12th century French handball game called "Paume" (palm). In this game the ball was struck with the hand. After some time "Paume" game produced handball "Jeu de Paume" (game of the palm) and there were used racquets. The game was first created by European monks for entertainment roles during ceremonial occasions. At first, the ball was hit with hands. Later, the leather glove came into existence. This leather glove was replaced with an adaptive handle for effective hitting and serving of the ball. That was a birth of tennis racquet."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank Whittle registered the patent in 1930 and had the first successful bench test April 1937.
How'd that bench fly, Skanque?

PS:'The first patent for using a gas turbine to power an aircraft was filed in 1921 by Frenchman Maxime Guillaume.'

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That my dear is what I have been saying all along
That's not what you have been saying, you fat lying Skanque.

You have been saying someone flying a toy was the inventor the airplane.

Now pull up your panties and move along.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes dozens of people flew planes before the Wright Brothers,
Liar.

But we know that, proved dozens of times.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Glad I signed in this morning. An admission of sorts! Wouldn't have missed it for the world!!
Yes, I admit that the UK is a monarchy and has been a monarchy for the last thousand years or so.

When asked: Is the UK a monarchy, yes or no?

I admit saying "yes"....

I confess, Booby...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of syphilitic dribble
Wipe your chin, then, Skanque.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ToManyLaws wrote:
It can be hard and dangerous to be an atheist. I have a Darwin bumper sticker on my car. And A few times some criminal religous freak has scratched nasty things in paint job.
Prove it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
I am not decrying the Wright Brothers achievement I am concerned with the claim to invention
The Wright Brothers invented the airplane.

You have been decrying for months. You open your mouth; out pours spooge coated lies. I prove you wrong. And you roll on the floor kicking your fat lies.

Toys aren't airplanes, Chubby.

You "proved" that Pearse flew an airplane before the Wright Brothers... and I provided a quote from Pearse himself where he said he didn't fly before 1904.

A toy model isn't an airplane, Skanque, no matter how hard you stomp.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
What?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>What?
It

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
"Killer" and "Murderer" can sometimes be used as synonyms (e.g. the man's killer/murderer was his wife - both words work)... But they are not always the same thing, am I right?
You and I go for a piece at the same time, your shot goes wide, I put one between your eyes.

I am your killer. It isn't murder.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I understand murderer applies to one who premeditatedly kills a fellow human being
Nope.

Most murders are not premeditated.

English... not your forte.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
French = 12th century
The Origins of Tennis - History of Tennis
"The History of tennis game was developed from a 12th century French handball game called "Paume" (palm). In this game the ball was struck with the hand. After some time "Paume" game produced handball "Jeu de Paume" (game of the palm) and there were used racquets. The game was first created by European monks for entertainment roles during ceremonial occasions. At first, the ball was hit with hands. Later, the leather glove came into existence. This leather glove was replaced with an adaptive handle for effective hitting and serving of the ball. That was a birth of tennis racquet."
french played with their hands and was the old version of tennis
the modern tennis was first played between 1859 and 1865 (Birmingham, England)

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
More barfy butt face bollocks
You have nothing real so need to make BS up
he thinks that the king of sweden have power to rule over everyone in sweden when he doesn't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<
Commercial flop? 27 years flying? Forget the US media hype.
Never turned a profit.

Got in the air and stayed in the air with French and British government funding. If it were a commercial success, there'd be Concordes everywhere you see... 707s,737s, 757s, and 787s.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

I was lucky enough to fly Concorde in 2003, and on Air Miles to boot! It was a great experience. If only that POS Continental DC-10 hadn't dropped metal over CDG we'd still be able to fly it today. All the airliners today are bloody boring.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank Whittle registered the patent in 1930 and had the first successful bench test April 1937. Hans von Ohainís design first ran in September 1937. However Ohainís engine was the first to fly in 1939. They are jointly accredited with inventing the Jet engine.
Christian Huelsmeyer was the first to discover the effect of radar in 1904, but radar was invented by three British scientists, Sir Robert Watson-Watt, A F Wilkins and H E Wimperis in 1935. Sir Henry Tizard put it to use in the War
Commercial flop? 27 years flying? Forget the US media hype. The ongoing benefits of Anglo French co-operation that started with Concorde are immeasurable and far outweigh the development costs. Certainly the BA Concordeís were operationally profitable. http://www.concordesst.com/retire/faq_r.html

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
french played with their hands and was the old version of tennis
An old version of.... tennis, did you say?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 min Patrick 217
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Patrick 224,163
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Growupchildren 21,392
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 10 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 13 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 13 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••