In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#43052 Nov 14, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>The Grateful Dead? No shit? Double Fine didn't know that
Nor I.

Thought it was Al Gore.

Glad all's well, DF.

Welcome back.
Anonymous

UK

#43054 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one swallowing the bait, Packy.
Had not been for the USA, what was left of the British Empire would have been in a backwater third world country like India and you'd be serving them G&T's and who know what else when it got dark.
"Backward country like India" you say, America and India are heading in opposite directions, India is heading up, America is heading down
Anonymous

UK

#43055 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
China relies on Israel for American technology.
The British don't have anything worth stealing.
are you joking, britains destroyers are the most advanced in the world, far better than America has, britains new attack submarines are the best in the world, far better than anything America has, and our new aircraft carriers are also more advanced than anything America has, hahaha you poor delusional fool, you had to resort to buying British planes that we were about to replace

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#43056 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That never stopped the US from stealing the jet engine. Inventor Sir Frank Whittle.
You forgot to claim the wheel.

PS: Whittle came to the US and worked for US. Paid.
Anonymous

London, UK

#43057 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That never stopped the US from stealing the jet engine. Inventor Sir Frank Whittle
Or disk brakes, inventor Frederick William Lanchester
Or your military using the harrier jump jet, designer, Sir Sydney Camm, Ralph Hooper of and Stanley Hooker
Or you utilising the world wide wide web and hypertext markup, inventor Tim Berners-Lee, you seem keen enough to use these British invented tools every single day of you life.
Or how about the USA itself, created by British colonies who declared independence
Baseball, derived from the game of rounders played predominantly by girls here in the UK and American football, derived from rugby but with loads of kevlar armour added.
The programmable computer? Inventor Charles babbage And how about computer programming? Inventor Ada Lovelace
Television? Telephone?
You speak a form of broken English
Don’t know much do you?
And there are many many more British inventions
Cloning
Ivf
DNA
Isaac newton, gravity theory
Calculus
Charles Darwin evolution theory
Trains
Tanks
Submarines
Torpedos
Sonar
Radar
Antibiotics
Penicilin
Vaccinations
Plastic
There is too many to list, britain is the greatest ever nation of inventors, not to mention the industrial revolution and creation of the modern world

Location hidden

#43058 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Or disk brakes, inventor Frederick William Lanchester.
I guess you think inventions are held by countries.

Forever.

Who invented the airplane?

Putting aside the 'Lanchester' brakes were crap.

Location hidden

#43059 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
.British invented tools every single day of you life..
Take your meds.
Anonymous

UK

#43060 Nov 14, 2012
People confuse the internet with the world wide web. The internet was a creation of the American military, while the far more important world wide web and html was invented by britains Tim berners lee
Anonymous

UK

#43061 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you stole it, the same way you stole German rockets and other German tech after ww2, and vertical tale offs and landings from the British harrier jump jets
Anonymous

UK

#43062 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Forever.
In 1912 there were three countries on the brink of inventing the aeroplane, America suprisingly got there first, but within two years the British and French had moved far ahead of America, and had the real planes for ww1, America did not, it was incredible how quickly britain and France left America behind, just two years

Location hidden

#43063 Nov 14, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are many many more British inventions
There are the inventions you come up with in every post.

Like the British capturing submarines the Americans captured.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#43064 Nov 14, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>are you joking, britains destroyers are the most advanced in the world, far better than America has, britains new attack submarines are the best in the world, far better than anything America has, and our new aircraft carriers are also more advanced than anything America has, hahaha you poor delusional fool, you had to resort to buying British planes that we were about to replace
Unfortunately, the UK's propaganda is far less convincing than the USA's. We don't so much project power as uncertainty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlan...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/140376...

When the UK really needs a warship, we can look to France...
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/L...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/09/gove...
The UK hopes it might have a serviceable aircraft carrier of some sort by 2018 - maybe.

Britain's nuclear weapons are a just a status symbol anyway...

They are principally a drain on UK resources.

We don't project power, more a sort of amiable bon-homie...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17944210/ns/world...
Blair added,“To the Iranian people I would simply say this: We bear you no ill will.”

Location hidden

#43065 Nov 14, 2012
[QUOTE who="ChristineM".
Baseball, derived from the game of rounders played predominantly.
[/QUOTE]

Baseball isn't rounders.

Chinese were playing soccer two thousand years ago.

Did you also discover sunlight?

Location hidden

#43066 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
HiYa Nymph, yes it’s the barfy butt face way but to be honest it’s fun to watch him go into meltdown
I'm not the one frothing at the mouth, Chubby.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#43067 Nov 14, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
So you stole it, the same way you stole German rockets and other German tech after ww2, and vertical tale offs and landings from the British harrier jump jets
The failure to listen to Frank Whittle by the British is also a national disgrace. I'd forgotten that one!
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/jet_engi...
In 1937, using newly available alloys that were strong and light, he produced the first viable jet engine to be successfully tested in a laboratory.(Unquote).

Perhaps we might have lost just as many pilots to the Luftwaffe as our tactics were hopelessly second-rate? Two aircraft formation is much easier to handle than three. If the aircraft fly far enough apart there is less chance of collision. The leader concentrates on looking ahead while the wingman's attention is to the rear, making sure an enemy aircraft does not sneak up from behind. The RAF were still flying 'vic' in 1940!
Anonymous

UK

#43068 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Baseball isn't rounders.
Chinese were playing soccer two thousand years ago.
Did you also discover sunlight?
Baseball is a ripoff of rounders, soccer is the greatest game ever invented, and just one of many, nearly all infact, games created by Britain, and the very concept of modern sport is British, gosh, aren't we just the greatest nation in all human history, I think so, yes

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#43069 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey you were the one who made the fallacious claim that “The British don't have anything worth stealing” I was juts proving you wrong – again…

Don’t know where the wheel was invented, probably Africa somewhere

You don’t actually know much about Frank Whittle do you? He was paid for working in the US, paid for lecturing in the US, he eventually emigrated to the US but he was never paid by the US for his jet engine discovery, It was effectively stolen by the CIA with promises of payment that never materialised.

#43070 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Forever.
Nope, I was simply stating facts, want to make something of it?

I think you meant to say who first flew an aeroplane in controlled flight,

The invention was British

In 1848, John Stringfellow from Somerset, England, achieved the first unmanned powered flight using a steam-powered monoplane called The Flying Machine. Its steam engine made it impractically heavy, and it was limited to very short flights inside a hangar.

Followed by Clement Ader in France who flew a steam-powered bat-winged plane in Paris in 1890. The aircraft took off, reached a height of 20 cm (8 inches), and flew uncontrolled for approximately 50 m (160 ft). This was 13 years before the Wright Brothers' famous flight.

The Lanchester brakes worked, efficiency improved over the years, so what. Seeing as how you brought it up consider the kitty hawk and compare it to an Airbus A380 or Boeing 787
SupaAFC

Ely, UK

#43071 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't.
Let me respond in a way you would understand:

Is so! I super-dooper double dipsy say so with cherries on top!

If you were not a socially-awkward manchild then you would understand that arguments and dialogue cannot start and end with the claim. They require something called evidence. I have demonstrated that your question is without doubt loaded because you have attached far, far too much stock to a figure who is nothing more than a relic.

And you respond with "Isn't"?

Do you need a cooling off period? I am quite happy to lay my mallet down and let my manchild mole have a tea break.

#43072 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your meds.
I see you used the www and html to post that, well done

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 53 min Thinking 230,108
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 23,001
Islam for peace, or violence? 1 hr Thinking 54
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 1 hr Thinking 92
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Thinking 1,403
Our world came from nothing? 8 hr Thinking 1,061
Man center of the universe. 14 hr hpcaban 88

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE