In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 20 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#43045 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That never stopped the US from stealing the jet engine. Inventor Sir Frank Whittle
Or disk brakes, inventor Frederick William Lanchester
Or your military using the harrier jump jet, designer, Sir Sydney Camm, Ralph Hooper of and Stanley Hooker
Or you utilising the world wide wide web and hypertext markup, inventor Tim Berners-Lee, you seem keen enough to use these British invented tools every single day of you life.
Or how about the USA itself, created by British colonies who declared independence
Baseball, derived from the game of rounders played predominantly by girls here in the UK and American football, derived from rugby but with loads of kevlar armour added.
The programmable computer? Inventor Charles babbage And how about computer programming? Inventor Ada Lovelace
Television? Telephone?
You speak a form of broken English
Donít know much do you?
The internet?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#43046 Nov 14, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The internet?
The internet was an American derivation of the us military arpanet

It was popularised among Californian geeks by Ö.

Wait for it Ö.

The grateful dead

The world wide web (www) and html make the internet useable by mortal humans

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#43047 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The internet was an American derivation of the us military arpanet
It was popularised among Californian geeks by Ö.
Wait for it Ö.
The grateful dead
The world wide web (www) and html make the internet useable by mortal humans
The Grateful Dead? No shit? Double Fine didn't know that

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#43048 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Check you Rolodex, HOney.
Let us know when you go on vacation again.
In other words, you were talking out your donkey butt.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#43049 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
HiYa Nymph, yes itís the barfy butt face way but to be honest itís fun to watch him go into meltdown every few days and then start all over again. To be honest itís a spectacle that I try to encourage only because he deserves it.
I scroll through a lot of his crap because it isn't worth answering. But I, like you, can't help poking him every now and then just to elicit another meltdown.

#43050 Nov 14, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I scroll through a lot of his crap because it isn't worth answering. But I, like you, can't help poking him every now and then just to elicit another meltdown.
Yup, itís a fun way to spend a few minutes.

There are not too many people who are worth it but he has an honourable (I use the word in the loosest possible sense) place in the annuls of the deserving

#43051 Nov 14, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The Grateful Dead? No shit? Double Fine didn't know that
They were the first to publicly promote themselves advertising gigs etc on the internet when the internet was just a few universities and colleges in the US west

Bowie followed and made some amazing predictions about the online music industry that are only just seeing the light of day

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#43052 Nov 14, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>The Grateful Dead? No shit? Double Fine didn't know that
Nor I.

Thought it was Al Gore.

Glad all's well, DF.

Welcome back.
Anonymous

UK

#43054 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one swallowing the bait, Packy.
Had not been for the USA, what was left of the British Empire would have been in a backwater third world country like India and you'd be serving them G&T's and who know what else when it got dark.
"Backward country like India" you say, America and India are heading in opposite directions, India is heading up, America is heading down
Anonymous

UK

#43055 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
China relies on Israel for American technology.
The British don't have anything worth stealing.
are you joking, britains destroyers are the most advanced in the world, far better than America has, britains new attack submarines are the best in the world, far better than anything America has, and our new aircraft carriers are also more advanced than anything America has, hahaha you poor delusional fool, you had to resort to buying British planes that we were about to replace

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#43056 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That never stopped the US from stealing the jet engine. Inventor Sir Frank Whittle.
You forgot to claim the wheel.

PS: Whittle came to the US and worked for US. Paid.
Anonymous

London, UK

#43057 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That never stopped the US from stealing the jet engine. Inventor Sir Frank Whittle
Or disk brakes, inventor Frederick William Lanchester
Or your military using the harrier jump jet, designer, Sir Sydney Camm, Ralph Hooper of and Stanley Hooker
Or you utilising the world wide wide web and hypertext markup, inventor Tim Berners-Lee, you seem keen enough to use these British invented tools every single day of you life.
Or how about the USA itself, created by British colonies who declared independence
Baseball, derived from the game of rounders played predominantly by girls here in the UK and American football, derived from rugby but with loads of kevlar armour added.
The programmable computer? Inventor Charles babbage And how about computer programming? Inventor Ada Lovelace
Television? Telephone?
You speak a form of broken English
Donít know much do you?
And there are many many more British inventions
Cloning
Ivf
DNA
Isaac newton, gravity theory
Calculus
Charles Darwin evolution theory
Trains
Tanks
Submarines
Torpedos
Sonar
Radar
Antibiotics
Penicilin
Vaccinations
Plastic
There is too many to list, britain is the greatest ever nation of inventors, not to mention the industrial revolution and creation of the modern world

Location hidden

#43058 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Or disk brakes, inventor Frederick William Lanchester.
I guess you think inventions are held by countries.

Forever.

Who invented the airplane?

Putting aside the 'Lanchester' brakes were crap.

Location hidden

#43059 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
.British invented tools every single day of you life..
Take your meds.
Anonymous

UK

#43060 Nov 14, 2012
People confuse the internet with the world wide web. The internet was a creation of the American military, while the far more important world wide web and html was invented by britains Tim berners lee
Anonymous

UK

#43061 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to claim the wheel.
PS: Whittle came to the US and worked for US. Paid.
So you stole it, the same way you stole German rockets and other German tech after ww2, and vertical tale offs and landings from the British harrier jump jets
Anonymous

UK

#43062 Nov 14, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you think inventions are held by countries.
Forever.
Who invented the airplane?
Putting aside the 'Lanchester' brakes were crap.
In 1912 there were three countries on the brink of inventing the aeroplane, America suprisingly got there first, but within two years the British and French had moved far ahead of America, and had the real planes for ww1, America did not, it was incredible how quickly britain and France left America behind, just two years

Location hidden

#43063 Nov 14, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are many many more British inventions
There are the inventions you come up with in every post.

Like the British capturing submarines the Americans captured.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#43064 Nov 14, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>are you joking, britains destroyers are the most advanced in the world, far better than America has, britains new attack submarines are the best in the world, far better than anything America has, and our new aircraft carriers are also more advanced than anything America has, hahaha you poor delusional fool, you had to resort to buying British planes that we were about to replace
Unfortunately, the UK's propaganda is far less convincing than the USA's. We don't so much project power as uncertainty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlan...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/140376...

When the UK really needs a warship, we can look to France...
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/L...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/09/gove...
The UK hopes it might have a serviceable aircraft carrier of some sort by 2018 - maybe.

Britain's nuclear weapons are a just a status symbol anyway...

They are principally a drain on UK resources.

We don't project power, more a sort of amiable bon-homie...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17944210/ns/world...
Blair added,ďTo the Iranian people I would simply say this: We bear you no ill will.Ē

Location hidden

#43065 Nov 14, 2012
[QUOTE who="ChristineM".
Baseball, derived from the game of rounders played predominantly.
[/QUOTE]

Baseball isn't rounders.

Chinese were playing soccer two thousand years ago.

Did you also discover sunlight?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Thinking 6,708
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 18,887
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 238,437
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 7 hr spellmeout 14,657
News .com | What hope is there without God? 10 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 10 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr thetruth 2,099
More from around the web