In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 20 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#42899 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You do like clichés, Booby.
Old very old clichés.
I first heard that "dueling with an unarmed man" thing on Marcus Welby MD.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#42900 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Any phrase so dang accurate is liable to risk cliche status. What would you suggest?
Stop repeating four hundred year old clichés, Booby.

Location hidden

#42901 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I first heard that "dueling with an unarmed man" thing on Marcus Welby MD.
If you were educated, you would know where it came from.

Texas, USA

#42902 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were educated, you would know where it came from.
Okay. Enlighten me.

Location hidden

#42903 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. Enlighten me.
Why don't you think about what I just told you and see if you can put two and two together and come up with 400 years and figure it out?

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#42904 Nov 10, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>
Courtesy of Bing Translator....
-Church fee in the Swedish Church, formerly a tax (Church tax) is a tax paid by all which belongs to the Swedish Church. It represents a significant part of the financing of the Swedish Church's activities. Church fee goes to the dominant part of the local Assembly's activities. worship, church music, children and youth, who worked with and other Assembly activities, as well as to personnel and property needed for the business. Congregations may also provide funding for the Swedish Church's international work. A significantly smaller portion of Church fee goes to the regional diocese-
it makes a bad translation of avgift

avgift = fee not tax

Texas, USA

#42905 Nov 10, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you think about what I just told you and see if you can put two and two together and come up with 400 years and figure it out?
You truly are a basterd. How about Beowulf? That was dragons though ... I give up. Tell me.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#42906 Nov 10, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
it makes a bad translation of avgift
avgift = fee not tax
Yes, I think it seems quite clear that the state collects the money for the church from those who wish to make what are, in effect, donations.'Tax' normally implies that all citizens are equally liable for it.

Location hidden

#42907 Nov 10, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I think it seems quite clear that the state collects the money for the church from those who wish to make what are, in effect, donations.'Tax' normally implies that all citizens are equally liable for it.
The fact that the TAX department collects the TAX would indicate that it is a TAX, especially when by default the TAXpayer pays it.

But then, I speak English. Tax is not necessarily by definition a mandatory remuneration. Do study this sentence:

"Beginning in 2001, United Methodists in Sweden will have the option of paying a church tax collected through the government's regular taxation system."

Location hidden

#42908 Nov 10, 2012
EdSed wrote:
'Tax' normally implies that all citizens are equally liable for it.
Putting aside that this statement is COMPLETE nonsense, shall I name a few dozen taxes for which all citizens are not equally liable?

Location hidden

#42909 Nov 10, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
You truly are a basterd. How about Beowulf? That was dragons though ... I give up. Tell me.
Beowulf is a thousand years old.

Location hidden

#42910 Nov 10, 2012
Mikko wrote:
avgift = fee not tax
"Switzerland and Austria also tax Catholic and Protestant church members. In Denmark, the State Lutheran church collects a tax from its members. Members of Sweden’s Lutheran Church pay around 1 percent of their income, collected by the national tax authorities, just as in Finland."

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#42911 Nov 10, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be poor because the subjects of the UK monarchy will be afraid of stepping outside, lest they be injured by the flying pigs.
Is Pink Floyd getting back together?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#42912 Nov 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Pink Floyd getting back together?
Pink is willing, but Floyd is holding out.

Wassup, AeroBetty?

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#42913 Nov 11, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I think it seems quite clear that the state collects the money for the church from those who wish to make what are, in effect, donations.'Tax' normally implies that all citizens are equally liable for it.
Barefoot is stuck on tax and will forever claim that Sweden have a church tax when we don't

Texas, USA

#42915 Nov 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Beowulf is a thousand years old.
Something from Shakespeare then? I'm sure you educated folk suffered much from English literature. Can't say I envy you that.

Location hidden

#42916 Nov 11, 2012
Mikko wrote:
Barefoot is stuck on tax
Alas, Sweetie: everyone in this forum can see ***YOU*** keep bringing it up and I merely respond to it.

So who do you think you are talking to?

Location hidden

#42917 Nov 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Something from Shakespeare then? I'm sure you educated folk suffered much from English literature. Can't say I envy you that.
To be sure, you do not show any symptoms of being over educated. Clearly, you stopped that process in the early 70s.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#42918 Nov 11, 2012
SupaAFC

UK

#42920 Nov 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reform the House of Lords?
We are waiting for you to tell us WHEN you got to vote for the House of Lords.
Why ask a question that you already know the answer to? We Brits know we do not vote for the Lords as of yet. The question is "so what?" It certainly does not mean that we are living under an undemocratic tyranny that you keep trying to imply.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
PS: Why does everyone keep referring to the FAILURE of reform?
(e.g.):
The failure of Lords reform is great news for British democracy
Clegg opposing boundary changes may be partisan retaliation, but it favours Labour and the future of progressive politics too
The collapse of House of Lords reform is good news for supporters of Lords reform. It is even better news for British democracy. And it may even in the end be good news for the Liberal Democrats too. In fact it is hard to think of a parliamentary defeat which simultaneously contains so many embryonic possibilities for cautious progressive optimism.
The positive impact on Lords reform is easily argued. Nick Clegg laboured long and hard to produce a reform bill which could command majority support and make a difference. He did most things right and deserves no great blame for the outcome. Not for the first time, however, he reckoned without the realities of politics.
This bill was never going to succeed. It was thus not worth the candle. Some of us said this a long time ago. The July revolt by 91 Tory backbenchers proved it up to the hilt. Labour, divided over reform but united in loathing the coalition, was never going to come to Clegg's aid. Worse would have happened if the bill had ever reached the Lords.
The outcome is...
(clip)
Do call me when you get to vote... how many hundred years has it been?
Whereas this is news to me, from your source:

"Nothing is more important in British democratic politics than for politicians to prove that they share and can execute the public's priorities. Those priorities right now are overwhelmingly in economic and social policy. Bankers matter more than baronies. Serious politics is well rid of this bill."

Let me translate that for you: it means that the Lords means nothing in British politics compared to the usual topics of the economy, welfare, etc, etc.

You keep raving about the monarchy and the Lords as if our inability to vote for them means we live in some kind of tyrany. The fact is, they do not matter.

They are ornaments. You know this just as much as I do, but are so desperate to cling to your delusion that we are just as religiousl-influenced as your ilk, that you will twist the truth to accommodate it.

Do tell us, Barefoot, when you - not the Electoral College - get to vote for the president.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Uncle Sam 238,383
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr Denisova 18,852
News Confessions of a black atheist 18 hr Mikko 475
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun Amused 25
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
More from around the web