In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 47920 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#42883 Nov 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<Please show evidence that an adding machine (actually a comptometer) had the edge over an electronic computer when it came to code breaking
I am responsible for what I said, not for what a confused idiot who has problems reading pretends that I said.

Happy to see you show us all where I said it was an adding machine.

QUOTE ME, Skanque.

PS: there were no electronic computers involved in codebreaking and the enigma. The Colossus (and the more reliable and plentiful and faster) American code breakers were (more correctly) electronic "machines"- they were not programmable, the first true computer being the EIAIC.

Location hidden

#42884 Nov 9, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>
Courtesy of Bing Translator....
"Beginning in 2001, United Methodists in Sweden will have the option of paying a church tax collected through the government's regular taxation system. That action will be granted under Sweden's new "Religious Communities Act" which provides all churches and religious communities with the right to establish their own identities, as well as the option to use the income tax system to collect membership fees. However, each member must consent to participation in the plan. In separate government legislation, on January 1 Sweden's Lutheran Church will lose its status as a state church and become a so-called "free church." "

Location hidden

#42885 Nov 9, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>
Courtesy of Bing Translator....
-Church fee in the Swedish Church, formerly a tax
"The constitution provides for freedom of religion. Since the separation of church and state, all religions are eligible for financial support from the government through the "church tax." Individuals may now designate which organization they wish to receive their contribution, or they may receive a tax reduction. The Commission for State Grants to Religious Communities is the government body that oversees religious funding, in cooperation with the Swedish Free Church Council."

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#42886 Nov 9, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I offered you a beer and a bacon sandwich.
You should try them.
Now I'm all hungry.

Thirsty, too.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#42887 Nov 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
Women's rights, black rights, gay rights
<quoted text>
Who exactly are they?
I'm all for "rights". Not sure that "rights" and entitlements are the same thing. I'm mainly concerned by the concept of taxpayer dollars being spent to keep idle, baby-making machines ... well ... idle, baby-making machines. I'm pretty sure there are women, blacks and gays paying into tax system. You would think they would be equally concerned. I think if tax payer dollars are spent addressing this problem, it would be better spent seeing that everyone had access to quality education or something to that effect.

By "Entitlement Generation" I am alluding to the people who make a living by milking the system. None of the schedules, bosses, co-workers, politics, grief, pressure, competition that comes from "making it" in the work-a-day world. All the while thinking they are entitled to do so based upon an accident of birth. I'm worker-poor and the idea of ghetto-rich makes me uncomfortable. I'm not really jealous of people who've earned what they got, however rich and luxurious their lives may be ... good on 'em I say.

I'm sure it's a narrow-minded, over-simplistic view of things, but, it's really all I have time for.

Texas, USA

#42888 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, for you, Booby, it hasn't turned out well since I have proved to be right and you always wrong.
And you just aren't very clever...
Thank you, Sir ... may I have another?

Texas, USA

#42889 Nov 9, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I offered you a beer and a bacon sandwich.
You should try them.
Seems to me everyone having a beer and a bacon sandwich would go a long way towards solving most of the World's problems.

Texas, USA

#42890 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am responsible for what I said, not for what a confused idiot who has problems reading pretends that I said.
Happy to see you show us all where I said it was an adding machine.
QUOTE ME, Skanque.
PS: there were no electronic computers involved in codebreaking and the enigma. The Colossus (and the more reliable and plentiful and faster) American code breakers were (more correctly) electronic "machines"- they were not programmable, the first true computer being the EIAIC.
That would be ENIAC there Brainiac.

Location hidden

#42891 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
I'm all for "rights". Not sure that "rights" and entitlements are the same thing. I'm mainly concerned by the concept of taxpayer dollars being spent to keep idle, baby-making machines ..
Relatives of yours, Booby?

Your kind- fat white racists- are in a minority, Booby. Read the Wednesday paper...

Location hidden

#42892 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be ENIAC there Brainiac.
I 'll put my typing against yours (again) Booby.

You do remember you lost last time?

Texas, USA

#42893 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Relatives of yours, Booby?
Your kind- fat white racists- are in a minority, Booby. Read the Wednesday paper...
As a minority, I must be entitled to something. A "thank you" would suffice.

Texas, USA

#42894 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I 'll put my typing against yours (again) Booby.
You do remember you lost last time?
I could not, in good conscience, do that to you. It would be like dueling with an unarmed man.

Location hidden

#42895 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
As a minority, I must be entitled to something. A "thank you" would suffice.
Check the envelope your food stamps came in.

Texas, USA

#42896 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Check the envelope your food stamps came in.
Does Elitism and Liberalism set well in the same boat? I think you may capsize.

Texas, USA

#42897 Nov 9, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, flashback to the 80s .... and 90s ... not old enough to remember the 70s but probably that too.
Every generation is "treated too well" by every previous generation, remember the school up hill both ways? Yeah, seriously, get a new cliche.
Any phrase so dang accurate is liable to risk cliche status. What would you suggest?

Location hidden

#42898 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not, in good conscience, do that to you. It would be like dueling with an unarmed man.
You do like clichés, Booby.

Old very old clichés.

Texas, USA

#42899 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You do like clichés, Booby.
Old very old clichés.
I first heard that "dueling with an unarmed man" thing on Marcus Welby MD.

Location hidden

#42900 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Any phrase so dang accurate is liable to risk cliche status. What would you suggest?
Stop repeating four hundred year old clichés, Booby.

Location hidden

#42901 Nov 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I first heard that "dueling with an unarmed man" thing on Marcus Welby MD.
If you were educated, you would know where it came from.

Texas, USA

#42902 Nov 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were educated, you would know where it came from.
Okay. Enlighten me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min DebraE 12,967
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 247,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Eagle 12 2,369
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr Eagle 12 40
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 2 hr ORIGINAL WILLARD 91
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 hr Eagle 12 20,901
Proof of God for the Atheist Sep 2 Amused 130
More from around the web