In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40600 Oct 17, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Parliament is dissolved only to accommodate for general elections.
Why don't you tell us what happened in 1835?

Location hidden

#40601 Oct 17, 2012
(quote)

The powers are very real

Even if some of these powers have not been exercised in the United Kingdom in many years, do not be fooled. Legally, they still exist. Several of them have been much more recently exercised by the Crown in Australia (where the Queen's appointed representative dismissed the democratically elected Government of the day in 1975) and in Canada (where the Queen's appointed representative prorogued Parliament for several weeks in late 2008, preventing it from performing its democratic and constitutional functions).
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40602 Oct 17, 2012
Wow, Barefoot, You Managed To Run Off The Entire Crowd, I'd Say You Have Reached Your Desired Goal.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#40603 Oct 18, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
My vote will be yes simply on the fact that whenever our politicians mess up they will fall on their own swords rather than place the blame on Westminster.
Also,for a small country we punch above our weight; I think we're capable of taking care of our own political issues. If Norway can, why can't we?
I pretty much agree with you, I’m English born but I have Scottish ancestry so I do have thoughts on the outcome.

My passport is up to date… LOL

#40604 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Punctuation shortage in the UK, Skanque?
Glass houses and stones

Kettle and black

The famous BF spelling shortage, well done

#40605 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it now, Skangue? Appointed or elected?
Are you not familiar with indirect representation in a democracy, shug?
Do you have 60 million people in the House of Commons?
Certainly NOT elected by you

Do you have 300+ million presidents?

Come to that do you have 300+ million members of the Electoral College?

Glass houses and stones

Kettle and black

#40606 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Shug and shrug: two different words, sugar gums.
Let me know how that ESL class works out!
That vein is throbbing, sweetie: calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean!
In the context you should have used shrug : Raise (one's shoulders) slightly and momentarily to express doubt, ignorance, or indifference

As opposed to shug : The combination of a handshake and a hug

Your SPELLING error. When you learn English get back to me

Keep chanting, I am told it has a very calming effect and wow do you need calming and it will certainly reduce the throbbing in your vein

#40607 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now what is 453 out of 15,000 darling?
Are you as poor in math as you are in English?
If you are unable to keep up with the conversation I suggest you ask your nurse to put you back into bed and give you your medication

Sorry you can’t remember what you actually wrote, It makes you look so foolish. It must be pretty horrific when you memory starts failing like that.

Let me remind you of your OWN WORDS

We have around 7,000 banks in the USA
EndQuote

See
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
For the ACTUAL post in which you stated there around have around 7,000 banks in the USA

I don’t give a toss about building societies and load sharks

I can see you are better at spelling than as remembering and jeez, for a member of the grammar police you spelling is atrocious anyway

#40608 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you learned who can dissolve the Parliament?
Here is a clue:
" The power to dissolve Parliament
A dissolution of Parliament is the device that triggers a General Election. Only the Queen can dissolve Parliament and she has the power so to act at any time, for any reason, or for none. "
And here is a clue as to what can actually happen
http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/QueenandGov...

#40609 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain what this means:
A dissolution of Parliament is the device that triggers a General Election. Only the Queen can dissolve Parliament and she has the power so to act at any time, for any reason, or for none. "
SHUG: what that means to mean is only the Queen can dissolve Parliament.
It seems to mean that she can do for anyone reason.
Explain...
Anyway back to the argument, why did the US bankers screw the world with the subprime mortgage rake off back in 2007. An action that created the world recession and the collapse of 453 US banking institutions.

Explain…

#40610 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain- and you haven't, though you have been asked- how according to you the POTUS is appointed in one comment but is elected in the next?
Is the POTUS appointed?
Because it seems that every single source I find seems to indicate you are a c/s, m/f liar.
Even the source that you QUOTED from.
Maybe you should start with this:
++
Who can dissolve the UK Parliament?
A) the House of Commons
B) the Queen
C) the Prime Minister
D) Judi Dent
(PS: I said B) a long time ago and haven't moved an inch )
Actually yes I have and you have deliberately ignored that explanation. That’s your problem, not mine. However I will remind you of your political system and in particular the Electoral College.

First let me ask, DID YOU as a voting citizen (and I use the word very loosely) of the USA get a vote on the subject?

How many of the 200 million voting citizens of the USA actually voted on who was to be president? Let me remind you, 538

That 538 voted, as far as the 200 million people are concerned the president was appointed for them by a select few hundred people. Sorry buddy boy but that’s the way you system works, if you don’t like it then that’s just tough.

That’s approximately 0.0000027% actually voted, as far as the other 99.999973% the president of the USA was appointed.

There I have made it as easy as I can for you. I realise there are some big numbers in there but the sums are weary enough. If you want it any easier I suggest you go back to school, perhaps 1st grade would be appropriate

So that being said can you explain why the US b(w)ankers screwed the world with the subprime mortgage rake off back in 2007, not once, not twice but three times?. It was of course that initial action that created the world recession and the collapse of 453 US banking institutions. The two following rakes off’s were made specifically by your government to those b(w)ankers so that average joe saver would not suffer financially from the greed of those b(w)ankers. You my dear are paying for this (and the near collapse of GM that resulted from the greed of the US b(w)ankers) in your taxes.

Yes we know you haven’t moved an inch, That does not mean that you have been not been proven to be mistaken in the actualities of the law (in both the US and the UK) and in some cases just basic actualities of life such as US bankers causing the world recession, an my children not being required to worship at school. The fact that you have not moved an inch simply highlights your deliberate ignorance and nothing else

#40611 Oct 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoe banks?
Is that where you keep your money, Skanque: in a Hoe Bank?
It was a typo but it’s perfectly apt

The screw you for money

#40612 Oct 18, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Wow, Barefoot, You Managed To Run Off The Entire Crowd, I'd Say You Have Reached Your Desired Goal.
Have you never heard of time zones where you come from?

Honey, when BF wakes up he she or it will try again and fail

Location hidden

#40613 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Glass houses and stones
Kettle and black
The famous BF spelling shortage, well done
Skangue: don't dish it out if you can't take it.

It isn't my fault you can't all the way through your comments without flubbing... SHUG.

Location hidden

#40614 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a typo but it’s perfectly apt
The screw you for money
The screw?

You really have to stop picking on the spelling of others...SHUG....

Location hidden

#40615 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually yes I have and you have deliberately ignored that explanation. That’s your problem, not mine. However I will remind you of your political system and in particular the Electoral College.
I'm not the one who is confused.

Review: YOU HAVE NO SAY.

You skipped over:

Explain how you say the electors of the Electoral college (whom citizens elect to represent the vote their take) APPOINT the POTUS, and as proof you post a statement that says they ELECT the POTUS.

Do you not know that APPOINT & ELECT are two different words meaning different things?

Location hidden

#40616 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
How many of the 200 million voting citizens of the USA actually voted on who was to be president?
As many of the citizens who wanted to vote, because in the USA, you aren't required to vote.

You don't understand your own monarchy, Skanque, I do not expect your to understand how REPRESENTATION works.

Location hidden

#40617 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
That 538 voted, as far as the 200 million people
The 538 voted... so the POTUS of is elected...

Do you not have access to a dictionary?

One of those people represented my vote, darling, that is how representation works in a country where people have say on the head of state.

You won't ever get that, eh?

Location hidden

#40618 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
So that being said can you explain why the US b(w)ankers screwed the world with the subprime mortgage rake off back in 2007
Subprime didn't cause EU banks to fail, SHUG.

No matter how hard you stomp your feet.

I know: it's blame the US for all your problems- best of luck with that.

Location hidden

#40619 Oct 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
That 538 voted, as far as the 200 million people are concerned the president was appointed for them by a select few hundred people.
The 538 voted- as far as the 122 million who voted.

Numbers mean nothing when you make them up, SHUG.

Here's how many people in the UK voted for their head of state: ZERO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Endofdays 81,921
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 7 hr Science 2,206
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sat Science 33,086
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 18 Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web