In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51428 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#40533 Oct 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously cool.
But I don't have money for that behemoth yet
Yeah, it does look a bit pricey.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#40534 Oct 17, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, it does look a bit pricey.
This is more my budget:

http://www.google.co.za/imgres...

Was planning to build one, but then I made the move to Cape Town.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#40535 Oct 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
This is more my budget:
http://www.google.co.za/imgres...
Was planning to build one, but then I made the move to Cape Town.
You are not harvesting any albino limbs down there are you?

#40536 Oct 17, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you find me out?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#40537 Oct 17, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? You interested in some?

I mean, that's just wrong.*whistles innocently*

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#40538 Oct 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
God is a plant??
Cool!
Does god like organic fertiliser, or can I just use 2:3:2 on him?
How did you come up with that? I said God's creation. One of the creations are plants.

Looks like it's you that needs watering and some sun, you vegetable.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#40539 Oct 17, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who had to be reminded that you had two houses, and the larger of your two houses- House of Lords- are APPOINTED.
To review:
Two Houses, the larger is appointed by the monarch, you have absolutely nos say in at at all.
The monarch can dissolve Parliament for any reason whatsoever, you have absolutely no say in it whatsoever.
The lower house: the prime minsiter is appointed by the monarch, you have absolutely no say in it.
The monarch can dismiss the entire thing after tea, if she or he is so enclined.
And no one cares about the dog catcher elections.
PS: I don't need you to confirm facts.
No you don’t have to remind me, I live here and would honestly not relish an amended piece of paper telling me what I can and can’t do.

You don’t need to remind me that my children are not compelled to worship at school

You don’t need to remind me that I do not need to worship in a CofE church or anywhere.

You also don’t have to remind me that your president is appointed by the Electoral College

You also don’t have to remind me that Lehman brothers bank collapsed along with 452 others.

You also don’t need to remind me that the US is in debt to China for over one trillion dollars.

You also don’t need to remind me that it’s fine for an American to commit genocide just so long as he has at least one million dollars.

You also don’t need to remind me that the queens own words, which I have given you the link to (and I assume you have ignored) prove you wrong.

You also don’t need to remind me that in Maryland, Massachusetts, North and South Carolina , Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas you MUST acknowledge that a mythical exists being before you can be elected.

To review. The involvement of US bankers in the subprime mortgage scandal was solely responsible for the world recession, A financial problem that the US, most of Europe and much of the world is still struggling to get out of. Your government and your appointed president admit this. Your bankers admit this as they luxuriate in the cash they conned from the scandal, three times.

Wrong, don’t know much about British politics do you?

You certainly don’t care because it means that you are a pathetic moron with no concept of UK politics but plenty of christian spite and bile and of course real figures, of real elected councillors make your arguments look pathetic because they are pathetic. Your arguments are fuelled by christian spite and bile, hatred and pure deliberate ignorance.

BTW, just to prove you are clueless councillors are not dog catchers. Dog catchers are employed, not elected.

P.S. No need for you to make yourself look even more stupid,

#40540 Oct 17, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have you here to lick it clean for me, darling.
I doubt you could have anyone to lick and clean you’re a$$ for you, you don’t have the cash to compensate for the smell of faeces that pervades you presence.

#40541 Oct 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
A bet you will win, I am sure. I have a smal garden where I stay now.
However, the old house near Pretoria had a massive landscape -on the edge of the rural area. Only problem was a lot of snakes and scorpions snuck around so you never wanted to venture too far.
All that aside - do you do your own gardening?
Are you joking? He does not even wipe his a$$

Since: Mar 11

Latonia, KY

#40543 Oct 17, 2012
Just don't eat any shrimp or you will burn forever.
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you come up with that? I said God's creation. One of the creations are plants.

#40544 Oct 17, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You said a plant is proof of your god.

If a plant proves his existence, then logically he must be a vegetable.

Don't worry. We won't say anything bout your veggie god

#40545 Oct 17, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Just don't eat any shrimp or you will burn forever.
<quoted text>
Don't forget the figs!!

#40546 Oct 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the figs!!
What no figs? Oh no, I could never be a christian again

Since: Mar 11

Latonia, KY

#40547 Oct 17, 2012
Well Jesus did get pissed off at that fig tree and started arguing with it. Lmfao!
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the figs!!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40548 Oct 17, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to think you would even have an ass if you were that close.
We call that stupid!
"We" better work on our snappy comebacks, George.

Location hidden

#40549 Oct 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
All that aside - do you do your own gardening?
Yes, all my slaves escaped.

Location hidden

#40550 Oct 17, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No you don’t have to remind me, I live here and would honestly not relish an amended piece of paper telling me what I can and can’t do.
That's what a queen is for.

#40551 Oct 17, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, all my slaves escaped.
A pity.

My solution, of course, is simple:

1. Electrified fencing
2. German Shepherds.

Works like a charm.

Location hidden

#40552 Oct 17, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
You don’t need to remind me that my children are not compelled to worship at school
Actually, I only need to point to the LAW that REQUIRES it.

And laugh.

You seem to think I need to make you admit you are wrong.

(quote)
Collective worship and the law

In community schools, the law states the worship must be 'wholly or mainly of a Christian character'. In foundation and voluntary schools with a religious character, the act of worship must be undertaken in accordance with the Trust Deeds but will focus on the religion of the school as to practice.

For England and Wales, the main provisions concerning collective worship can be found in sections 70 and 71 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.

In England and Wales Parents have the statutory right under Section 71 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 to withdraw their children from RE lessons and acts of collective worship at all maintained schools, including faith schools.

Sixth-form pupils at mainstream schools and maintained special schools are able withdraw themselves from collective worship, without the need for a parent's permission. Section 55 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006 amended section 71 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 to ensure the right of sixth-form pupils to be excused from attendance at religious worship if they request so. The NSS were instrumental in securing this right for young people.

While the above legislation does not apply to academies and free schools, such schools are usually contractually bound to honour the right to of withdraw though their funding agreements.

The law on collective worship in schools is clarified by non-statutory guidance Despite being published in January 1994, Circular 1/94 remains the most up to date guidance for schools.

The guidance states:

"'Worship is not defined in the legislation and in the absence of any such definition it should be taken to have its natural and ordinary meaning. That is, it must in some sense reflect something special or separate from ordinary school activities and it should be concerned with reverence or veneration paid to a divine being or power."

The NSS has called for this guidance to be withdrawn and updated.

+++

Law was last amended in 2010.

Location hidden

#40553 Oct 17, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
You also don’t have to remind me that your president is appointed by the Electoral College
I have to remind you that you are a c/s, m/f liar, Skanque.

The president is elected by ballots cast.

I do understand: as a subject of the monarch, you have very little say in who runs your government.

And even that very little say- the House of Commons- runs with the permission of the monarch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 55 min Richardfs 45,429
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 1 hr Big girl 539
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Big girl 9,503
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 2 hr NightSerf 421
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 20,230
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 6 hr ATHEOI 420
News Atheist Rev. Gretta Vosper should be terminated... 6 hr ATHEOI 5
More from around the web