In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments (Page 1,951)

Showing posts 39,001 - 39,020 of47,724
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have someone explain to you how an internet forum works, Skanque. It isn't really the place for private conversations.
Hey butt breath, as I said you butted in, YOU, not me. You are free to butt in to any conversation you want but don’t be surprised if what you say is shown to be rubbish.

I am enjoying myself here, particularly putting a pedantic ignoramus like you down so I welcome you stupidity but don’t make the mistake in assuming we are all as stupid as you.

You can’t just make crap up and clam that’s how it was, this is the internet and funnily enough there is a records of what you post on here.

You don’t like that then tough, that’s how the internet works

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Use your scroll button,$450 *M*illion typed above it. Billions, millions, trillions, do you want me to pick out your mistypes to, Skanque?
Do you remember saying it was TRIVIAL?
Liar, you wrote billions not millions. Your intention was to make it look more dramatic. It was not a mistype it was a deliberate falsification of figures to make yourself look better. Look at your keyboard, as a mistype it would have been villion, gillion, hillion, or nillion

Yes $450million (M I L L I O N) is peanuts compared to the trillions that the 2007 world crisis cost, many countries such a Greece and Spain are still struggling form the aftermath.$450 million is what, around a few minutes turnover for a company the size of Barclays.

Honey you are welcome to point out my misspelling any time you want. I will of course inform you that I am dyslexic and expect pedantic prats like you to jump on every error I make, It’s quite fun to see. However deliberate millions to billions is not dyslexia.
SupaAFC

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact of the matter: we vote for the electors who vote for the president.
Fact of the matter: you therefore do not vote for the president.

Electoral College /= president. Do you need some paper and crayons to figure this out?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact of the matter: you have NO say in it whatsoever.
Fact of the matter: our head of state is a figurehead.
SupaAFC

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The UK is mostly not religious. You failed to accept this fact and now you weasel around like a limp fish.
That's the problem when you decide to play contrarian. When you have no argument, all you can do is name-calling and repeat the same obsolete points without properly understanding their contexts in 21st century society.

This is 2012. Barefoot thinks we live in 1561.
SupaAFC

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm jealous, I want to be in a royal court.
We did have the position of jester available, but Barefoot was the unanimous choice.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
UK = state religion
UK = no freedom of speech
UK = head of state... same one, 60 years.
Constitution = what separates citizens of a democracy from balless subjects of the monarch
Some of the UK (England and Wales - we have been here before yet you still insist on claiming the entire UK – why?) has a state religion. This in no way means that Brits or even English or Welsh people must follow that religion, We have no document telling us what to do. Even the “elected” government guarantees the individuals freedom of and from religious expression http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/global-issues/human-... . The majority of religious in Wales don’t subscribe to the CofE, they are either Church of Wales, catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist. Even in England the CofE can only claim half the population at a maximum with 26 million baptised members. The actual figures are far worse than that, over the 30 years to 1999 CofE church attendance’s almost halved, from 3.5 percent to 1.9 percent of the population. Even though there are no official figures for later times it has been observed that the trend is continuing.

Freedom of speech – yes we have had freedom of speech since 1215, remember that date? It was when King John signed the Magna Carta. Ahh ok too far back in history to mean much to a prejudiced fool such as you.

It was reinforced in 1998 when the UK incorporated the European Convention, and the guarantee of freedom of expression it contains in Article 10, into its domestic law under the Human Rights Act

True that we don't have the same freedom of speech as the US (thank goodness) because ours comes with responsibility. We can say whatever we want but as human beings we are responsible for what we say and if we are stopped then law has been broken and are held responsible for braking that law. Unlike in America where people scream a constitution right to verbally ride roughshod over every other view and say what the f*ck they want even if it incites violence or death. Just so long as you don’t upset the baby jesus.

Also been over the head of state thing with you, who cares but you? One thing for sure 60 years does have a stabilising effect, which you seem to lack. Maybe when you country gets past its (effectively) teenage tantrums eh?

Constitution, who needs one? We don't need to have a single document telling us what we can and cannot do. Instead our “unwritten constitution” is living with the times, it comprises of our normal law, acts of parliament, EU law, UK court judgements, treaties and common law. It’s considerably more complicated than the US one document model but it works well enough. A written constitution would (and from observation does) impede the progress of humanity.

Tell me why are there amendments to the unalienable human rights as laid down in your constitution?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I did.
Did some gardening.
Planted some portuculatas, a daisy or ten, broke up a bromelia into 6 plants and moved my one Protea.
Sabbath = Gardening
My goodness I did not realise that you were so domesticated

Gardening can be such fun

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm jealous, I want to be in a royal court.
You can write to buck house and if your submission is accepted you could get an invite…

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
My goodness I did not realise that you were so domesticated
Gardening can be such fun
Hey, Double Fine LOVES gardening.

lost some plants a while back, so Double Fine redid the beds.
SupaAFC

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A written constitution would (and from observation does) impede the progress of humanity.
Such as it becoming like the bible where some people claim it means one thing, and others claim it means something else.

Which is one reason why religion and politics are conflated in the United States, unlike here.

Also: I was reading another thread just now, and Barefoot so happened to be posting on it, talking about Reagan. His final statement in the post?:

"Actions speak louder than words".

What a massive, massive hypocrite.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Such as it becoming like the bible where some people claim it means one thing, and others claim it means something else.
Which is one reason why religion and politics are conflated in the United States, unlike here.
Also: I was reading another thread just now, and Barefoot so happened to be posting on it, talking about Reagan. His final statement in the post?:
"Actions speak louder than words".
What a massive, massive hypocrite.
Ronald Ray-gun actions

"Ronald Reagan must be the nicest president who ever destroyed a union, tried to cut school lunch milk rations from six to four ounces, and compelled families in need of public help to first dispose of household goods in excess of $1,000...1f there is an authoritarian regime in the American future, Ronald Reagan is tailored to the image of a friendly fascist." - Robert Lekachman
http://prorev.com/reagan.htm

See also
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/christian-co...

No argument here, BlitheringFool is a hypocrite

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
We did have the position of jester available, but Barefoot was the unanimous choice.
Shucks, that's the only position I would enjoy.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove your god or f*ck off its that simple.
F*ck off, NotBot, it IS that simple.

Can you disprove God?

I thought not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Now. NOW – I do not care that you NOW say 15000, you DID SAY 7000 and I posted you the link to your own statement in which you said 7000.
Sweetie: Banks are banks, and saving& loans are saving& loans.

They aren't the same thing.

And when it comes down to it, darling, a couple hundred bank & savings is loans is but a fraction, and, again- as I have pointed out several times- the "failed" banks are banks that have been closed for failing to meet our more stringent REGULATIONS which keep OUR banking system stable.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The UK is mostly not religious.
STATE CHURCH.
Head of STATE: Monarch
Monarch = head of STATE CHURCH
Schools = Require BY LAW: Christian worship
Parliament = Most members: Appointed by Head of State Church
State Church = supported by state taxes

USA = US Constitution, establishment of religion BANNED

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey butt breath, as I said you butted in, YOU, not me.
Spooge breath: public forum. Don't post here thinking you can have a private conversation.

Check TOS.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
You can’t just make crap up and clam that’s how it was...
That would cut out 2/3s of your posts.

Pot kettle black.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetie: Banks are banks, and saving& loans are saving& loans.
They aren't the same thing.
And when it comes down to it, darling, a couple hundred bank & savings is loans is but a fraction, and, again- as I have pointed out several times- the "failed" banks are banks that have been closed for failing to meet our more stringent REGULATIONS which keep OUR banking system stable.
And 7000 is 7000 and 15000 is 15000

Failed because the system is stable – right

Lehman Brothers

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact of the matter: you therefore do not vote for the president.
Fact of the matter: we vote for the people who do vote for the president. It is hard to get 250 million people in the same building.

Fact of the matter: you do not vote for your head of state, and you don't even get to vote for your prime minister. You do not vote for anyone in one of the two houses of your impairment.

And the Queen can cancel everyone Parliament at tea time.

And there's isn't a man thing you can do about it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the UK (England and Wales - we have been here before yet you still insist on claiming the entire UK – why?
England & Wales is 80 percent of the population, and if you ever get around to speaking English, UK has a state religion, it is the Church of England.

Here is how it works: Does the UK have a state religion... yes, hold up one finger... that is for the Church of England.

Does the USA have a state religion...NO.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 39,001 - 39,020 of47,724
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 14 min waaasssuuup 224,003
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 23 min Thinking 21,372
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 27 min Patrick 1,285
Our world came from nothing? 32 min Patrick 161
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 43 min Carchar king 4
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 52 min Buck Crick 351
Introducing The Universal Religion 1 hr Thinking 729
•••
•••