In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40330 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Personally I have more confidence to invest in Brit, French or German banks than US banks.
You don't invest in banks, you lying Skanque.

And the value of the British pound compared to the dollar has been dropping from $2 to $1.60 now, and that's over the last few years.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40331 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah: you mean like BARCLAYS?
Maybe you haven't heard but BARCLAYS was fined somewhere in the $450 billion ball park for FRAUD?
You do remember taking shots at US banks when **YOUR** bank is at the top of the list in the world for FRAUD?
PS: HSBC Holdings has been sued for $9 BILLION for aiding Bernard Madoff’s fraud through a network of its foreign feeder funds in Europe, the Caribbean and Central America.
Yes and, so what? They were fined, they held their hand up and admitted it and fined for it, their position and one of the leaders in world banking has not changed.

Billion? Jesus f*cking Christ on a crutch, no wonder you are having wet dreams

It was £290million (M I L L I O N)(your wet dream exaggerations are pathetic) and actually it was not fraud, they were charged with attempting to manipulate the libor rate. Now to you and me that would be classed as fraud but to the FSA who actually took the legal action it was attempting to manipulate the libor rate which they were charged with

Had it been fraud the American ceo would have been serving 8 years at her majesties pleasure now with some big greasy eastend thug as a cell mate.

HSBC, yes and? Still peanuts compared to the trillions that US b(w)ankers swindled out of US citizens and the rest of the world

Location hidden

#40332 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you said over 7,000. Yes 15,000 is over 7,000 but that was NOT what you said so I guess you are LYING
Skanque: the phrase banks AND savings and loans ring a bell?

There is a difference.

Banks... savings and loans... credit unions... they are similar but not the same .

And I did not pretend there were the same.

Location hidden

#40333 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
It was £290million (M I L L I O N)
$450 million dollars (I missed typed, I point to the $450 million figure I used ABOVE earlier) and the hundreds of BILLONS of dollars refers to the AMOUNT manipulated by Barclays during the fraud.

Location hidden

#40334 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
actually it was not fraud, they were charged with attempting to manipulate the libor rate. Now to you and me that would be classed as fraud
FRAUD.

Like you said: to you and me, it was fraud, and in the English language, that would be fraud.

What the final exact classification of the CRIME they would finally acknowledge is of no import, and let's remember: you are the one insisting that the US bankers were crooks.

Do stop blaming the USA for the UK's failures.

#40335 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are whining and you are the one who opened the door crying (you said) about the evil US bankers that are (you say) are responsible for the EU mess.
Short term memory loss?
The US has 15,000+ banks and savings and loans. As I have pointed out four times: our regulations are stricter than yours and the "failed" banks did not result in the loss of individual investors.
Stop blaming the US, I understand, you are a second world country and moving down in the ranking.
I don’t actually care what you say now, Yesterday I did not respond to what you claim today I responded to what you claimed yesterday

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

I am not a mind reader and I am not here to do you research for you, if you can’t get it right first time then tough

Actually you butted in on a conversation between Aura an myself. You were the one winging and whining, not me.

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Are you having memory problems, perhaps it’s your anti psychotics, try talking to yoy psychiatrist about changing your script.

Weell. I see that S&P downgraded the US credit rating has been downgraded, was the British credit rating, erm, let me think, no…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_fe...

Anyway, I’m off out for a meal with my good christian friends, I’ll tell them all about you, we all need a good laugh

#40336 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Skanque: the phrase banks AND savings and loans ring a bell?
There is a difference.
Banks... savings and loans... credit unions... they are similar but not the same .
And I did not pretend there were the same.
Yes butt breath which is why I said Y E S T E R D A Y that UK establishment that almost went bust was a Building society, not a bank

Honey you made a statement, either stick to are of butt out.

#40337 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
$450 million dollars (I missed typed, I point to the $450 million figure I used ABOVE earlier) and the hundreds of BILLONS of dollars refers to the AMOUNT manipulated by Barclays during the fraud.
Bollocks_you made a mistake, again, live with it

#40338 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
FRAUD.
Like you said: to you and me, it was fraud, and in the English language, that would be fraud.
What the final exact classification of the CRIME they would finally acknowledge is of no import, and let's remember: you are the one insisting that the US bankers were crooks.
Do stop blaming the USA for the UK's failures.
Not in the law though and it was the law that took the actions, not you are me.

Bye
SupaAFC

Crieff, UK

#40339 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
ya don't, and I don't have to keep reminding that you don't.
We vote for the people who matter. I don't have to keep reminding you that the Lords and monarchy are living relics of our political history.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
We here vote for the members of both of our houses, and we vote for the head of state.
The president is elected by 538 members of the Electoral College. You cannot dimiss this fact without dismissing the irrelevence of the Queen's political powers.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't. You vote only for the members of the lower house
The house that matters.

Just because your system of government has an influential upper house and executive does not magically mean that ours are likewise.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
and you do not vote on who will be your PM.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/uk-...

Wrong...
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the members of the House of Lords are appointed or inherit their positions (and appointed by the monarch who is also the head of the state religion).
So -now- you change your tack. Back to the tried and trusted "the Queen decides!" argument, Barefoot?

She is a rubber stamper. I am not disputing that.What I am disputing is your kooky notion that the Queen independently makes these decisions by herself, on her own accord.

She doesn't, she "approves" whatever is put in front of her whether it is by a Conservative, Labour or coalition government. That's why the politicians debate legislation in the Commons, and the Queen visits cities like Aberdeen to open libraries.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the monarch can dismiss the government if she/he is so inclined.
But she never will because she knows her role is nothing but a rubber stamper.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me know when you come up with something new...
Let me know when you are going to join us in the real world, watching real events, instead of pretending that pieces of paper dictate how people and institutions actually act.

If you can tear yourself away from the Constitution and accept that the American people can "vote" for their president, then you have no choice but to do the same with our political institutions and their roles.

But you don't, and we know why.
SupaAFC

Crieff, UK

#40340 Oct 13, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Barefoot , you are a pretty intelligent guy , and seem to be well informed. My only question is why the trivial pursuit to the love of argument? You seem to love to state these trivial topic peeves and assume a position to defend like Hector.
Just seems an odd demeanor and way to respond to everyone.
I guess you just love a good argument huh?
Evidently he has no life outwith Topix. When Barefoot wakes up, he thinks about Topix. When he's eating lunch, he thinks about Topix. When he switches off his computer, slips in bed and closes his eyes, he thinks about Topix.

He posts more in a day than I do in a fortnight.

I'm quite happy to play along with his trivial claims about how British politics "works" based on pieces of paper. We all need a fly to swat now and again, and I've found mine. At least I'll know that I have a response waiting for me within an hour of posting!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#40341 Oct 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently he has no life outwith Topix. When Barefoot wakes up, he thinks about Topix. When he's eating lunch, he thinks about Topix. When he switches off his computer, slips in bed and closes his eyes, he thinks about Topix.
He posts more in a day than I do in a fortnight.
I'm quite happy to play along with his trivial claims about how British politics "works" based on pieces of paper. We all need a fly to swat now and again, and I've found mine. At least I'll know that I have a response waiting for me within an hour of posting!
barefoot averages over 77 posts a day - he's obsessed.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#40343 Oct 13, 2012
Hello everyone. Good to see you all. Anything new?

Please vote for DF here:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/topix/TVBNAO4...

Location hidden

#40344 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t actually care what you say now,
You've been saying that for days yet you still hang responses on my posts, funny how that is.

Location hidden

#40345 Oct 13, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
barefoot averages over 77 posts a day - he's obsessed.
And most of your posts are to or about me, funny how that is, KowKow.

Location hidden

#40346 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
m
Yes Barclays is a UK bank, the CEO of the division that cheated and was caught cheating and has admitted to cheating was AMERICAN.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Right, so there was the American over in his corner cubicle making all those other Brits look bad.

LYING SKNAQUE! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

(quote)
“LIBOR and EURIBOR are critically important benchmark interest rates,” said Assistant Attorney General Breuer.“Because mortgages, student loans, financial derivatives, and other financial products rely on LIBOR and EURIBOR as reference rates, the manipulation of submissions used to calculate those rates can have significant negative effects on consumers and financial markets worldwide. For years, traders at Barclays encouraged the manipulation of LIBOR and EURIBOR submissions in order to benefit their financial positions; and, in the midst of the financial crisis, Barclays management directed that U.S. Dollar LIBOR submissions be artificially lowered. For this illegal conduct, Barclays is paying a significant price. To the bank’s credit, Barclays also took a significant step toward accepting responsibility for its conduct by being the first institution to provide extensive and meaningful cooperation to the government. Its efforts have substantially assisted the Criminal Division in our ongoing investigation of individuals and other financial institutions in this matter.”

“Barclays Bank’s illegal activity involved manipulating its submissions for benchmark interest rates in order to benefit its trading positions and the media’s perception of the bank’s financial health,” said Assistant Director in Charge McJunkin.“Today’s announcement is the result of the hard work of the FBI Special Agents, financial analysts and forensic accountants as well as the prosecutors who dedicated significant time and resources to investigating this case.”

++

DO note the PLURALS being used...

++

And my how that American gets around:

(quotye)

20 more banks were rigging interest rates: British bankers now facing criminal inquiry over scandal that was kept secret for years

Barclays shares drop 15 per cent as pressure on Diamond grows
George Osborne promises new criminal sanctions for market abusers
RBS, HSBC and Lloyds all named as under investigation as scandal widens

By James Chapman, Becky Barrow, Ruth Sunderland and Rob Davies

PUBLISHED: 17:53 EST, 28 June 2012

Hundreds of bankers across three continents are embroiled in the interest-rate fixing scandal that has left Barclays chief executive Bob Diamond fighting to save his job.

As pressure intensified on Britain’s highest paid banking boss to quit, MPs heard a string of other financial institutions across the world were under investigation.

At least 20 banks are believed to be under suspicion, with growing demands for a criminal investigation.
(clip)

Location hidden

#40347 Oct 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
We vote for the people who matter.
Are you going to add anything new?

PS: So the PM doesn't matter, eh?

PPS: The monarch can dissolve the people you vote for any time he/she wants for any reason he/she wants.

Location hidden

#40348 Oct 13, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
The president is elected by 538 members of the Electoral College.
And we vote for them, Sugarlips.

Review: US **CITIZENS** vote for the head of state (the POTUS) via our resentatives, and all members of our "parliament". All of them, in both houses.

You,*subjects* of the monarch, are allowed to vote for the minority of members of your parliament, your larger house is appointed by the monarch- who is the head of the state church- and included among the appointments made by the state church, and of course, the entire government can be dismissed by the monarch for any reason.

PS: We have a constitution.

You find yours yet?

Location hidden

#40349 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Actually you butted in on a conversation between Aura an myself.
Have someone explain to you how an internet forum works, Skanque. It isn't really the place for private conversations.

Location hidden

#40350 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Bollocks_you made a mistake, again, live with it
Use your scroll button,$450 *M*illion typed above it. Billions, millions, trillions, do you want me to pick out your mistypes to, Skanque?

Do you remember saying it was TRIVIAL?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 min Richardfs 22,277
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 42 min Aura Mytha 227,688
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 5 hr CunningLinguist 118
Stump a theist with 2 questions 6 hr Patrick 68
Our world came from nothing? 9 hr Patrick 477
Here's a place for Patrick's off-topic articles 10 hr NightSerf 1
Glorify God, our Heavenly Father 10 hr Son of God 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE