In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,713

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#40321 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
...You will note that the UK banking system is not on the verge of collapse,
Don't speak too soon.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
We have actually had just one (1) financial institution that became close to failure but it was bailed out by the taxpayer. Not 453 banks but 1....
But isn't that partly due to the fact that the UK market is less competitive and consists of few & bigger 'too big to fail' orgs?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticl...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_ac...

And then we have had the Labour Govs attacks (taxes) on our pension funds
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/286782/We...
and the Bank of England's QE 1 & 2 which have reduced the value of our currency as well as doing so much to demolish both savings and pensions.

(I thought you'd appreciate a more thoughtful criticism of your comments :-)

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40322 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
But you see the thing is Ö you said
Barclays...

PS: Stop blaming the USA for your troubles, you made your bed with the EU, quite you whining (I understand it is part of your DNA). The EU banks are failing because of your lack of regulations that allow bankers to use capital like it was their money and they fronted for a Saturday night poker party.

I am not interested in your copy & pastes that have not a damn thing to do with YOUR banking mess.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40323 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Quote
Our banks aren't failing- yours are.
Endquote
And I proved you wrong by supplying a list of over 450 US banks
And I pointed out that the USA has over 15,000 banks and savings and loans, and pointed out the banks that fail do not "misplace" their assets- that they fail for the most part because regulators say they do not have enough capital to cover their loans.

That in the USA we have regulations to prevent the failures you are experience with entire countries going bankrupt and meatheads like yourself trying to fix blame on the USA when it is due to your poor banking regulations.

And again, as far as to the character of US bankers I just point AGAIN to the UK bankers inflating and manipulating the interest rates.

ALL UK BANKS, USA had nothing to do with it, though it has cost US banks billions of dollars.

GLASS HOUSES, skanque.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40324 Oct 13, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Biden Looked
Cleaned Count Chocula's clock.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40325 Oct 13, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Don't speak too soon.
<quoted text>But isn't that partly due to the fact that the UK market is less competitive and consists of few & bigger 'too big to fail' orgs?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticl...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_ac...
And then we have had the Labour Govs attacks (taxes) on our pension funds
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/286782/We...
and the Bank of England's QE 1 & 2 which have reduced the value of our currency as well as doing so much to demolish both savings and pensions.
(I thought you'd appreciate a more thoughtful criticism of your comments :-)
Still speaking. The Greek and parts of the Spanish banking system are in pretty poor shape. Several of the major UK banks are still listed in the top 10 biggest and strongest banks in the world. It depends on which table you look at but HSBC, Barclays and RBS are up there with Deutsche Bank, BNP Paribas, Crťdit Agricole and the Bank of China. Nothing is too big to fail, it may bring down governments which is why you see the ďtoo big to failĒ flag waving.

Personally I have more confidence to invest in Brit, French or German banks than US banks. Once bitten twice shy and given the repeated drops in confidence in the dollar in the last 12 months, October last, April and the current one when the dollar is just beginning recovery from a low of $61.35 to the pound then I believe my instinct here will prove correct.

This of course was not the argument with butt breath which was about the cause of the 2007 financial crisis and consequent world recession. The US banking market and the UK banking market are 2 different monsters governed by different rules. Whatever the regulations it is clear that the gentlemanís agreement type of business can no longer be conducted with US b(w)ankers.

Yes we have had constant eating away at our pensions from way back in Maggie Tís government, and the financial crash did not help matters then the New Labour bunch made it many times worse and these current clowns arenít helping unless you are one of the Eton educated crowd.

Actually the value of the GBP is doing quite well on the world market at the moment. In the last year itís gone from getting Ä1.15 to Ä1.28 euros to the pound, actually is down this weekend to Ä1.24. Great time for you hols thought.

Since just after the 2007 crash itís about 23% up on the Euro and consistent against the dollar (ignoring those US dips). Xe.com gives a great graphical representation of currency against currency that can be programmed to show historical data from 1 day back to 10 years. I am loath to say it but GB had a point

Thanks for the thought, although any thought is more thoughtful than butt breaths

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40326 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Barclays...
PS: Stop blaming the USA for your troubles, you made your bed with the EU, quite you whining (I understand it is part of your DNA). The EU banks are failing because of your lack of regulations that allow bankers to use capital like it was their money and they fronted for a Saturday night poker party.
I am not interested in your copy & pastes that have not a damn thing to do with YOUR banking mess.
I am not complaining, I am giving you facts, just because you are too much of a wimp to accept those facts in the face the face of the overwhelming evidence I gave you and in the face of you own government is not my problem. I think it quite hilarious though that the whole world disagrees with you and yet you still manage to p|ss into your own mouth.

Hey butt breath, when I copy and past I cite my source, unlike you who thinks plagiarism was you own invention

Funny how you feign disinterest when you get beat, why the f_ck canít you grow a pair of balls and accept you are beaten.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40327 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Still speaking. The Greek and parts of the Spanish banking system are in pretty poor shape. Several of the major UK banks are still listed in the top 10 biggest and strongest banks in the world.
Ah: you mean like BARCLAYS?

Maybe you haven't heard but BARCLAYS was fined somewhere in the $450 billion ball park for FRAUD?

You do remember taking shots at US banks when **YOUR** bank is at the top of the list in the world for FRAUD?

PS: HSBC Holdings has been sued for $9 BILLION for aiding Bernard Madoffís fraud through a network of its foreign feeder funds in Europe, the Caribbean and Central America.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40328 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I pointed out that the USA has over 15,000 banks and savings and loans, and pointed out the banks that fail do not "misplace" their assets- that they fail for the most part because regulators say they do not have enough capital to cover their loans.
That in the USA we have regulations to prevent the failures you are experience with entire countries going bankrupt and meatheads like yourself trying to fix blame on the USA when it is due to your poor banking regulations.
And again, as far as to the character of US bankers I just point AGAIN to the UK bankers inflating and manipulating the interest rates.
ALL UK BANKS, USA had nothing to do with it, though it has cost US banks billions of dollars.
GLASS HOUSES, skanque.
Actually you said over 7,000. Yes 15,000 is over 7,000 but that was NOT what you said so I guess you are LYING

Does this ring a bell?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankruptcy_of_Le...

Yes Barclays is a UK bank, the CEO of the division that cheated and was caught cheating and has admitted to cheating was AMERICAN. You really do have a problem with facts donít you

Not only are you ignorant of the British way of life, British geography, British Parliament, British Royalty you are somewhat ignorant of the street slang you clone too. Pathetic.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40329 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not complaining, I am giving you facts,
You are whining and you are the one who opened the door crying (you said) about the evil US bankers that are (you say) are responsible for the EU mess.

Short term memory loss?

The US has 15,000+ banks and savings and loans. As I have pointed out four times: our regulations are stricter than yours and the "failed" banks did not result in the loss of individual investors.

Stop blaming the US, I understand, you are a second world country and moving down in the ranking.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40330 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Personally I have more confidence to invest in Brit, French or German banks than US banks.
You don't invest in banks, you lying Skanque.

And the value of the British pound compared to the dollar has been dropping from $2 to $1.60 now, and that's over the last few years.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40331 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah: you mean like BARCLAYS?
Maybe you haven't heard but BARCLAYS was fined somewhere in the $450 billion ball park for FRAUD?
You do remember taking shots at US banks when **YOUR** bank is at the top of the list in the world for FRAUD?
PS: HSBC Holdings has been sued for $9 BILLION for aiding Bernard Madoffís fraud through a network of its foreign feeder funds in Europe, the Caribbean and Central America.
Yes and, so what? They were fined, they held their hand up and admitted it and fined for it, their position and one of the leaders in world banking has not changed.

Billion? Jesus f*cking Christ on a crutch, no wonder you are having wet dreams

It was £290million (M I L L I O N)(your wet dream exaggerations are pathetic) and actually it was not fraud, they were charged with attempting to manipulate the libor rate. Now to you and me that would be classed as fraud but to the FSA who actually took the legal action it was attempting to manipulate the libor rate which they were charged with

Had it been fraud the American ceo would have been serving 8 years at her majesties pleasure now with some big greasy eastend thug as a cell mate.

HSBC, yes and? Still peanuts compared to the trillions that US b(w)ankers swindled out of US citizens and the rest of the world

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40332 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you said over 7,000. Yes 15,000 is over 7,000 but that was NOT what you said so I guess you are LYING
Skanque: the phrase banks AND savings and loans ring a bell?

There is a difference.

Banks... savings and loans... credit unions... they are similar but not the same .

And I did not pretend there were the same.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40333 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
It was £290million (M I L L I O N)
$450 million dollars (I missed typed, I point to the $450 million figure I used ABOVE earlier) and the hundreds of BILLONS of dollars refers to the AMOUNT manipulated by Barclays during the fraud.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40334 Oct 13, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
actually it was not fraud, they were charged with attempting to manipulate the libor rate. Now to you and me that would be classed as fraud
FRAUD.

Like you said: to you and me, it was fraud, and in the English language, that would be fraud.

What the final exact classification of the CRIME they would finally acknowledge is of no import, and let's remember: you are the one insisting that the US bankers were crooks.

Do stop blaming the USA for the UK's failures.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40335 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are whining and you are the one who opened the door crying (you said) about the evil US bankers that are (you say) are responsible for the EU mess.
Short term memory loss?
The US has 15,000+ banks and savings and loans. As I have pointed out four times: our regulations are stricter than yours and the "failed" banks did not result in the loss of individual investors.
Stop blaming the US, I understand, you are a second world country and moving down in the ranking.
I donít actually care what you say now, Yesterday I did not respond to what you claim today I responded to what you claimed yesterday

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

I am not a mind reader and I am not here to do you research for you, if you canít get it right first time then tough

Actually you butted in on a conversation between Aura an myself. You were the one winging and whining, not me.

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Are you having memory problems, perhaps itís your anti psychotics, try talking to yoy psychiatrist about changing your script.


Weell. I see that S&P downgraded the US credit rating has been downgraded, was the British credit rating, erm, let me think, noÖ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_fe...

Anyway, Iím off out for a meal with my good christian friends, Iíll tell them all about you, we all need a good laugh

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40336 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Skanque: the phrase banks AND savings and loans ring a bell?
There is a difference.
Banks... savings and loans... credit unions... they are similar but not the same .
And I did not pretend there were the same.
Yes butt breath which is why I said Y E S T E R D A Y that UK establishment that almost went bust was a Building society, not a bank

Honey you made a statement, either stick to are of butt out.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40337 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
$450 million dollars (I missed typed, I point to the $450 million figure I used ABOVE earlier) and the hundreds of BILLONS of dollars refers to the AMOUNT manipulated by Barclays during the fraud.
Bollocks_you made a mistake, again, live with it

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40338 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
FRAUD.
Like you said: to you and me, it was fraud, and in the English language, that would be fraud.
What the final exact classification of the CRIME they would finally acknowledge is of no import, and let's remember: you are the one insisting that the US bankers were crooks.
Do stop blaming the USA for the UK's failures.
Not in the law though and it was the law that took the actions, not you are me.

Bye
SupaAFC

Crieff, UK

#40339 Oct 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
ya don't, and I don't have to keep reminding that you don't.
We vote for the people who matter. I don't have to keep reminding you that the Lords and monarchy are living relics of our political history.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
We here vote for the members of both of our houses, and we vote for the head of state.
The president is elected by 538 members of the Electoral College. You cannot dimiss this fact without dismissing the irrelevence of the Queen's political powers.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't. You vote only for the members of the lower house
The house that matters.

Just because your system of government has an influential upper house and executive does not magically mean that ours are likewise.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
and you do not vote on who will be your PM.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/uk-...

Wrong...
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the members of the House of Lords are appointed or inherit their positions (and appointed by the monarch who is also the head of the state religion).
So -now- you change your tack. Back to the tried and trusted "the Queen decides!" argument, Barefoot?

She is a rubber stamper. I am not disputing that.What I am disputing is your kooky notion that the Queen independently makes these decisions by herself, on her own accord.

She doesn't, she "approves" whatever is put in front of her whether it is by a Conservative, Labour or coalition government. That's why the politicians debate legislation in the Commons, and the Queen visits cities like Aberdeen to open libraries.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the monarch can dismiss the government if she/he is so inclined.
But she never will because she knows her role is nothing but a rubber stamper.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me know when you come up with something new...
Let me know when you are going to join us in the real world, watching real events, instead of pretending that pieces of paper dictate how people and institutions actually act.

If you can tear yourself away from the Constitution and accept that the American people can "vote" for their president, then you have no choice but to do the same with our political institutions and their roles.

But you don't, and we know why.
SupaAFC

Crieff, UK

#40340 Oct 13, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Barefoot , you are a pretty intelligent guy , and seem to be well informed. My only question is why the trivial pursuit to the love of argument? You seem to love to state these trivial topic peeves and assume a position to defend like Hector.
Just seems an odd demeanor and way to respond to everyone.
I guess you just love a good argument huh?
Evidently he has no life outwith Topix. When Barefoot wakes up, he thinks about Topix. When he's eating lunch, he thinks about Topix. When he switches off his computer, slips in bed and closes his eyes, he thinks about Topix.

He posts more in a day than I do in a fortnight.

I'm quite happy to play along with his trivial claims about how British politics "works" based on pieces of paper. We all need a fly to swat now and again, and I've found mine. At least I'll know that I have a response waiting for me within an hour of posting!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min The Dude 14,491
Christianity Created Hitler 22 min Uncle Sam 87
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr ChristineM 234,486
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 3 hr Thinking 22
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr ChristineM 2,837
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 10 hr NoahLovesU 1,229
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 14 hr polymath257 41
More from around the web