In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments (Page 1,945)

Showing posts 38,881 - 38,900 of47,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
US bank failures since 2008
We have around 7,000 banks in the USA and even more savings and thrift institutions.

How many do you have?

Show us the list of people who had money in those banks who lost... let's say a nickle.

PS: In the US, bank failures doesn't mean there's an explosion and everyone is killed and all the money is burned up.

It means the bank doesn't meet with our stricter regulations and they are closed, almost always, the bank is bought up and incorporated by another bank down the street.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The European bank crisis is caused by the lack of regulations of European banks and the lack of stability in European countries is because they built their foundation on the instability of those banks.
The USA is not on the brink financial collapse; very few US banks have failed (and no one (ZERO) in the US has lost money who had accounts in those banks because we have regulations in place that assure that banks are properly capitalized.
And the Barclay's fraud (no matter how hard you try to divert) had nothing (zero) to do with US sub prime mortgages.
Wrong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The global economy which is taking hits because of the crappy foundation European banks have because of the lack of regulations that allow them to fail.
The global mess is of the **EU** making, not the US.
Wrong

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong
My head is swirling...

COUGH...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have around 7,000 banks in the USA and even more savings and thrift institutions.
How many do you have?
Show us the list of people who had money in those banks who lost... let's say a nickle.
PS: In the US, bank failures doesn't mean there's an explosion and everyone is killed and all the money is burned up.
It means the bank doesn't meet with our stricter regulations and they are closed, almost always, the bank is bought up and incorporated by another bank down the street.
Honey, those were not mergers or takeovers, they were bank FAILURES, hence the title of the page.

You see banking is far more strictly regulated in the UK and so far fewer institutions qualify to become banks, certainly we don’t have enough for 6.4% of them to go bust.

What brought on those “stricter US regulations” let me guess, was it fear of what would happen to the world economy, never mind the US economy, if the US bankers took it into their heads to screw the world again.

Honey I personally lost over £80K (not dollars but pounds so it’s around $128/129K at today’s prices) in the banking meltdown. Do you think I have not researched where that money went? Do you really think I have not researched the cause of the collapse? Do you really think that I will be investing in American banks again? Do you really think that everyone is as thick as you?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Israel killed US Navy sailors on the USS Liberty in 1967.
Maybe people attached to backwater shore duty stations had a different perspective on it.
Those of us who served on US warships: not as forgiving.
It is apparently the policy of the United States to be forgiving and it is those policies our military are sworn to abide. You're thinking outside your pay grade.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
My head is swirling...
COUGH...
Too much wacky baccy will do that to you, especially if you get the cheap crap they sell at the entrance to your trailer park

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The European bank crisis is caused by the lack of regulations of European banks and the lack of stability in European countries is because they built their foundation on the instability of those banks.
Not where i live the eu wants us to give them our money for free

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, those were not mergers or takeovers, they were bank FAILURES, hence the title of the page.
SweetGums: the banks that fail were taken over by other banks, sometimes, literally, banks down the street.

There are over 7,000 banks in the USA and there are more savings and loans. Sometimes: they fail. They fail not because they aren't making a profit, they fail because they do not meet the requirements of the US government in holding what the US government considers *adequate* capital, that they have too much in the way of outstanding loans (or not enough on hand to cover them)- this occurred in over 97 percent of the bank failures.

You will note (if you could read):**NO ONE** lost money held in savings accounts in the USA.

You will note: the US banking system is not on the verge of collapse.

You will note: the USA is not on the verge of collapse, we aren't begging German to come pick up our tabs on bad investments.

PS: BARCLAY's!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<
Honey I personally lost over £80K (not dollars but pounds so it’s around $128/129K at today’s prices) in the banking meltdown.
You know how much US citizen's lost from savings accounts in failed banks?

Not a nickle.

Who's fault is it your government(s) don't do a better job of regulating your own banks?

PS: How many years was Barclay's inflating interest rates?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Zing!
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Too much wacky baccy will do that to you, especially if you get the cheap crap they sell at the entrance to your trailer park
SupaAFC

Larbert, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no citizens in Britain: You are subjects.
Now that is a FACT.
And as "subjects" we vote like you guys do, we shop like you guys do, we work like you guys do, we play sports like you guys do, we argue on internet forums like you guys do, we watch the same movies that you guys do, we hear about the same celebrities that you guys do, we have news stations like you guys do, we can protest like you guys do, etc, etc, etc.

So, for living lives as "subjects", we sure don't seem to have it anywhere near as bad compared to you "citizens".

Could it just be, Barefoot, that you are running with a big red herring?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't care how you interpret anything: I am not responsible for you jumping to conclusions.
Of course you are responsible. You are the one who wrote the post in vague language!
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two houses in the UK parliament. It isn't my fault that you were not aware of this.
Members of the Commons are called MPs and members of the Lords are called Lords. It isn't my fault that you were not specific with which house you meant.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No is it my fault that you had to LIE when you changed what I said to try to explain away how you got confused.
Not once did I "change" what you said. I read it the same way any British person would.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Lords who make up the House of Lords are members.
English.
And Lords are selected through numerous nominations or peerage systems, none of which include the CoE as the decision maker.

That includes the Lords Spiritual.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not my fault you are so ignorant of your own government that you were unaware that the phrase "members of Parliament" include (and in fact, more likely since there are more members in the House of Lords than House of Commons) Lords, especially, Lords Spiritual.
Yes, how dare I stupidly believe that when you said "members of parliament" you were not talking about, you know, MPs, but about the Lords instead.

Nobody, Barefoot, buys that you "meant" the Lords. It is beyond obvious that you have changed your argument.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And it is rather transparent when YOU CHANGED what I said ("members of Parliament") to (capitalized) "Members of Parliament" and then quickly added "MPs" and then insisted that I meant House of Commons.
If I have changed the capitalisation then show me my post where I have quoted you with the letters changed.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar.
You are the one still pretending that the Lords, including the Lords Spiritual, are appointed by the CoE.

You know, the central point of your red herring argument.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can get all your NotBots waving banners but I want you know I am calling you out for the lying pusssy you are.
You can pretend that your ranting and raving about British politics and the CoE is true, let alone even relevant in 21st century society, but I want you to know I am calling you out for the lying pusssy you are.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
And as "subjects" we vote like you guys do,
ya don't, and I don't have to keep reminding that you don't.

We here vote for the members of both of our houses, and we vote for the head of state.

You don't. You vote only for the members of the lower house, and you do not vote on who will be your PM.

And the members of the House of Lords are appointed or inherit their positions (and appointed by the monarch who is also the head of the state religion).

And the monarch can dismiss the government if she/he is so inclined.

Let me know when you come up with something new...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
Not once did I "change" what you said.
Of course, you are a liar.

E.G.: changing "members of Parliament" to Members of Parliament (MPs).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
You are the one still pretending that the Lords, including the Lords Spiritual, are appointed by the CoE.
No pretense needed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
Nobody, Barefoot, buys that you "meant" the Lords.
I said it many times.

You can deny it a million times, Sweetgums. Whjat you can't find- no matter how hard you look- is me saying MPs were appointed.

I have things to do, if you could prove it, you would have a month ago.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

SupaAFC wrote:
Yes, how dare I stupidly believe that when you said "members of parliament" you were not talking about, you know, MPs, but about the Lords instead.
(quote)

"Members of the House of Lords"

Your guide to who's who in the House of Lords.

You often hear about Members of Parliament - or MPs - on TV or in the newspapers. Each MP belongs to the House of Commons. But MPs aren't the only people who work in the Houses of Parliament.

There are over 700 men and women who make up Parliament's second chamber: the House of Lords.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

All-Party Groups

All-Party Groups (APGs) are informal cross-party groups that have no official status within Parliament. They are essentially run by and for Members of the Commons and Lords.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Members of the House of Lords

Often with long careers in public service, business, arts and culture, or another area of activity, Members of the House of Lords contribute their expertise and knowledge to Parliament and its work.

Find out more about Members of the Lords, including their biographical and contact details. The options in the drop down menu allow you to search the list alphabetically, by political party or group and by gender.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

http://www.parliament.uk/

Find out about their experience, knowledge and subjects of interest.

List of Members of the House of Lords

Often with long careers in public service, business, arts and culture, or another area of activity, Members of the House of Lords contribute their expertise and knowledge to Parliament and its work.

Find out more about Members of the Lords, including their biographical and contact details. The options in the drop down menu allow you to search the list alphabetically, by political party or group and by gender.

(clip)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 38,881 - 38,900 of47,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••