In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40267 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
US bankers are not responsible for the mess in Europe, Skanque, I know: it is your reflex reaction to all your woes... that it must be the US's fault... that you are spending money you don't and creating debt and European banks are required to have close to the capital to maintain stability like they are in the US so we are responsible for the speculation (e.g., Spanish housing bubble) because... because... well... let's see... unstable banks hold up the governments that have rules that allow them to become unstable... so the US is to blame...
hmmmm...
Do let us know when you can come up with a reason, we will take speculation since you aren't close to providing proof.
PS: BARCLAY's.
Don’t work like that, we live in a global economy, even governments, hell even the US government acknowledges the cause. Just because you don’t simply means you are being your usual deliberately ignorant self, live with that fact. I have offered links to verify what I say, you have offered foockall but your usual rambling BS.

#40268 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
FACTS?
Start with one- explain how the US banks are responsible for the rules in Europe that allow such rabid speculation by the banks that cause entire countries to collapse?
Since we have rules in the US to prevent that from happening... which seems (since the banking system in the USA is the strongest in the world) the banking crisis right now is occurring...where?
Oh yeah, over in Europe.
PS: George Bush is not responsible for speculation in UK & Europe banks. A couple wars and the US recession, yes.
Explain why US banks packaged the toxic debt of the subprime mortgage accounts in normal investments packages and never disclosed that those debts were in the packages. In my book that would be fraud, but in the banking world it was just a gamble the investors took. Those investors got screwed, see the result.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40269 Oct 12, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone else? Really? You've taken a poll? Amazing. You don't come here to argue?
You are the one crying about people coming here to argue when you come here to argue, Booby.

Golda Meir threatened to use nukes is a FACT. You having been crying about it for three days.

It is a fact.

Why you continue to stomp your feet and roll around and then you eventually say you don't care and move onto something else: it seems to me like you like to argue, you just aren't very good at it.

Location hidden

#40270 Oct 12, 2012
RHill wrote:
In fact, perhaps it is YOU who has departed the world of reality for some new place.
In fact, you cannot push me off my points because I do have the facts.

You have the uniformed opinion- which you are entitled to.

Reality?

In this instance, the USA and the USSR went to DefCon3 just as I said.

And for the reason I said.

And people who served then- particularly, those in the USN and the USAF- knew it and did not forget it.

So what we can get from that is: you are a liar.

Because I know and you know- if you served- that when the shit hit the fan anywhere in the globe the military reacts. When there was a *misprint* in a hurricane warning and instead of saying it was 5,000 miles away it was 500 miles away (obviously a misprint)- the USN still had to react as if it were 500 miles away.

Because: that is the way it is in the US military.

So I don't care if you were in a freaking cave if you were in the USN in October of 1973, then you pulled extra guard duty- that even in boot camps instead of one person 'guarding' the barracks there were two, and everyone leaned forward in their stools, even if they were calibrating test meters and not on the front line with the rest of us.

#40271 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The US did not force Europeans to make bad investments and it is not the US's fault that you have such piss poor regulations on your banking system that allows them to gamble away assets that aren't theirs to put on the table.
The US is the victim here: your crappy banking systems are ruining OUR economy, not the other way around, dinguss. Our banks aren't failing- yours are.
The US DID covertly package toxic debt within those investments. Don’t get me wrong here, sure they should have been checked. The banking environment would not think of such a thing, it was built on trust. See what happens when you trust an American banker

The US is the victim for deliberately falsifying its investment packages?– grow up

US bank failures since 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bank_fai... (2008%E2%80%93present)

That’s 25 in 2008
140 in 2009
157 in 2010
92 in 2011
and 39 up to now in 2012
so we have what 453 US bank failures since the start of the financial crisis

Compared to what one (1) British bank, actually not a bank but a building society

So what did you say, I think it was along the lines of

Our banks aren't failing- yours are
Endquote

You complete idiot.

Location hidden

#40272 Oct 12, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain why US banks packaged the toxic debt
The European bank crisis is caused by the lack of regulations of European banks and the lack of stability in European countries is because they built their foundation on the instability of those banks.

The USA is not on the brink financial collapse; very few US banks have failed (and no one (ZERO) in the US has lost money who had accounts in those banks because we have regulations in place that assure that banks are properly capitalized.

And the Barclay's fraud (no matter how hard you try to divert) had nothing (zero) to do with US sub prime mortgages.

Location hidden

#40273 Oct 12, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Don’t work like that, we live in a global economy
The global economy which is taking hits because of the crappy foundation European banks have because of the lack of regulations that allow them to fail.

The global mess is of the **EU** making, not the US.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#40274 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The global economy which is taking hits because of the crappy foundation European banks have because of the lack of regulations that allow them to fail.
Armchair politician.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40275 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one crying about people coming here to argue when you come here to argue, Booby.
Golda Meir threatened to use nukes is a FACT. You having been crying about it for three days.
It is a fact.
Why you continue to stomp your feet and roll around and then you eventually say you don't care and move onto something else: it seems to me like you like to argue, you just aren't very good at it.
The possession of nuclear weapons is an implied threat. Meir clearly verbalized that threat ... I say WAY TO GO GOLDA!!

Location hidden

#40278 Oct 12, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The possession of nuclear weapons is an implied threat. Meir clearly verbalized that threat ... I say WAY TO GO GOLDA!!
Of course Israel killed US Navy sailors on the USS Liberty in 1967.

Maybe people attached to backwater shore duty stations had a different perspective on it.

Those of us who served on US warships: not as forgiving.

Location hidden

#40279 Oct 12, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Armchair politician.
Wow- skewered, Septic, absolutely skewered...

cough...

Location hidden

#40280 Oct 12, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
US bank failures since 2008
We have around 7,000 banks in the USA and even more savings and thrift institutions.

How many do you have?

Show us the list of people who had money in those banks who lost... let's say a nickle.

PS: In the US, bank failures doesn't mean there's an explosion and everyone is killed and all the money is burned up.

It means the bank doesn't meet with our stricter regulations and they are closed, almost always, the bank is bought up and incorporated by another bank down the street.

#40281 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The European bank crisis is caused by the lack of regulations of European banks and the lack of stability in European countries is because they built their foundation on the instability of those banks.
The USA is not on the brink financial collapse; very few US banks have failed (and no one (ZERO) in the US has lost money who had accounts in those banks because we have regulations in place that assure that banks are properly capitalized.
And the Barclay's fraud (no matter how hard you try to divert) had nothing (zero) to do with US sub prime mortgages.
Wrong

#40282 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong

Location hidden

#40283 Oct 12, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong
My head is swirling...

COUGH...

#40284 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have around 7,000 banks in the USA and even more savings and thrift institutions.
How many do you have?
Show us the list of people who had money in those banks who lost... let's say a nickle.
PS: In the US, bank failures doesn't mean there's an explosion and everyone is killed and all the money is burned up.
It means the bank doesn't meet with our stricter regulations and they are closed, almost always, the bank is bought up and incorporated by another bank down the street.
Honey, those were not mergers or takeovers, they were bank FAILURES, hence the title of the page.

You see banking is far more strictly regulated in the UK and so far fewer institutions qualify to become banks, certainly we don’t have enough for 6.4% of them to go bust.

What brought on those “stricter US regulations” let me guess, was it fear of what would happen to the world economy, never mind the US economy, if the US bankers took it into their heads to screw the world again.

Honey I personally lost over £80K (not dollars but pounds so it’s around $128/129K at today’s prices) in the banking meltdown. Do you think I have not researched where that money went? Do you really think I have not researched the cause of the collapse? Do you really think that I will be investing in American banks again? Do you really think that everyone is as thick as you?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40285 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Israel killed US Navy sailors on the USS Liberty in 1967.
Maybe people attached to backwater shore duty stations had a different perspective on it.
Those of us who served on US warships: not as forgiving.
It is apparently the policy of the United States to be forgiving and it is those policies our military are sworn to abide. You're thinking outside your pay grade.

#40286 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
My head is swirling...
COUGH...
Too much wacky baccy will do that to you, especially if you get the cheap crap they sell at the entrance to your trailer park

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#40287 Oct 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not where i live the eu wants us to give them our money for free

Location hidden

#40288 Oct 12, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, those were not mergers or takeovers, they were bank FAILURES, hence the title of the page.
SweetGums: the banks that fail were taken over by other banks, sometimes, literally, banks down the street.

There are over 7,000 banks in the USA and there are more savings and loans. Sometimes: they fail. They fail not because they aren't making a profit, they fail because they do not meet the requirements of the US government in holding what the US government considers *adequate* capital, that they have too much in the way of outstanding loans (or not enough on hand to cover them)- this occurred in over 97 percent of the bank failures.

You will note (if you could read):**NO ONE** lost money held in savings accounts in the USA.

You will note: the US banking system is not on the verge of collapse.

You will note: the USA is not on the verge of collapse, we aren't begging German to come pick up our tabs on bad investments.

PS: BARCLAY's!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min Aura Mytha 233,042
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 59 min Morse 194
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 1 hr Morse 7
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Morse 2,595
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 1 hr Morse 35
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr Morse 161
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Morse 1,450
More from around the web