In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 47711 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40200 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You cry when I point out where you are wrong, you say you are ignorant (no one disagrees), I point to where you are wrong (as you were here, the US military does not pay income tax in combat zones): and you continue in your ignorance.
I did not comment on the tax question. I don't remember paying income taxes when in the military. Probably because, back then,$110 a month wasn't enough for the IRS to worry about.

Texas, USA

#40201 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care- if you were a member of the US military in 1973 and insist you can't remember the US military moving into DefCon III (the same condition as we were for a few weeks during the Cuban Missile Crisis): I will point to your pattern of lies and deceptions and give you the standard dumb shrug.
I remember it very well.
Good for you! You really need to shoehorn the possibility that those not serving on nuclear submarines may have missed the festivities.

Texas, USA

#40202 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no interest in it... cannot you remember what you said YESTERDAY?
You cry and whine because I do not lead you by the hand and show you the program know worldwide as *GOOGLE* and type in for you "meir DefCon III" or any other combination that puts everything you would want to read on the top line of the first page?
WAHHHHHH!
No.
I suggest you are not capable of admitting you are wrong.
Wrong? Me?

Texas, USA

#40203 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
As I pointed out to you: I was there and I can vividly recall when the US moved to DefCon II. Maybe it was because I was on the front line in the Cold War while you were calibrating test meters in the middle of nowhere, maybe I remember because I was on a warship and you don't because you were on shore duty, maybe I remember because when I saw the key to the safe we kept your nuke strike codes around the neck of the OOD it stopped being a game.
Well ... I consider this a break through! BTW .. which one is the higher state of alert?

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#40204 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The collapse of EUROPEAN banking systems and failure of entire countries- Greece, Spain, Italy, e.g.: fault of US banks investing in sub prime mortgages?
How 'bout the tsunami and the Japanese earthquake?
Do tell: How did that $455 MILLION fine on Barclays tie in to the US sub prime crisis?
banking systems working fine where i live

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40205 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you! You really need to shoehorn the possibility that those not serving on nuclear submarines may have missed the festivities.
You really need to shoehorn the possibility that DefConIII applied to everyone in the US military, and every service including the Coast Guard.

Location hidden

#40206 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not comment on the tax question. I don't remember paying income taxes when in the military. Probably because, back then,$110 a month wasn't enough for the IRS to worry about.
Then you are defeating your own argument: that there are members of the US military that are paid so poorly that there isn't enough for them to worry about.

That what I said about the 47 percent is absolutely correct: that the majority of the 47 percent work full time jobs and just don't get paid enough income for the IRS to collect federal tax.

Location hidden

#40207 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, LOOK IT UP
The UK bankers are in it every bit as deep (or deeper) as the US bankers.

So do stop taking shots at the USA, Skanque, you live in a country that has glass walls.

Location hidden

#40208 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
I realise high finance of greater then you food stamps
'You food stamps', eh?

Bang your head on your boy friend's belt buckle again, eh?

I can understand your country has been circling the drain for over one hundred years: the only thing you got is shots at the USA.

The USA has nothing to do with the financial crapfest that is the EU.

Texas, USA

#40209 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to shoehorn the possibility that DefConIII applied to everyone in the US military, and every service including the Coast Guard.
Perhaps. Perhaps I typed messages or calibrated Simpson meters with unusual intensity for a period and simply don't remember.

Is that it? Is that the kind of admission you have sought? Glad to have obliged!

Texas, USA

#40210 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are defeating your own argument: that there are members of the US military that are paid so poorly that there isn't enough for them to worry about.
That what I said about the 47 percent is absolutely correct: that the majority of the 47 percent work full time jobs and just don't get paid enough income for the IRS to collect federal tax.
Argument? My argument? I think they make considerably more than $110 per month now. Even so there are rules regarding being out of the country for X amount of time exempts you from paying Income Tax. I know the expats who worked at the geophysical place I worked, their rotation schedules were carefully timed to qualify them for tax exemption.

Texas, USA

#40211 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait. It's starting to come back. The repressed memories. The klaxons, the ear splitting UUUUUUUUUUU-GAHHHHHH UUUUUUUUUUU-GAHHHHHH'S, the rotating beacons, the canned (yet alluringly feminine) voice announcing "WE ARE NOW AT DEFCON3, REPEAT DEFCON3!!". A sudden hush fell over the Comm Center, as the two of us on duty realized that this could be ... THE BIG ONE!!! Our single line phone began to ring. It was our Watch Commander ... we listened, slack jawed and sweaty palmed as we received our long dreaded orders "Double the Simpson 260 Calibration Quota!!". Sputtering in disbelief, we asked for clarification ... "JUST DO IT!!!" he shouted in ill-concealed irritation. Not knowing if the world would still be there when we emerged from our hardened Quonset Hut the next morning was the hardest part. I ... I thank you, I think ... those times have been eating away at me for decades now. I ... I think I can cope with it now. Thank You, Barefoot.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40212 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't stopped... except when you and your aliases went on vacation.
Just keep on being paranoid and thinking I have aliases. Youse funny.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40213 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Motorola is pretty big, Litton Resources division of Litton Industries, Western Geophysical division of Western Atlas ... but ... quite right ... way way way down ... as mentioned previously I'm a technician, I fix stuff ... you know, blue collar stuff ... Blue Collar Philosopher ... I make no pretensions. I'm pretty good at it, I derive a measure of satisfaction from it. You don't lay off the machines that fix the machines. I tend to "look down" at salesmen, bean counters and executives as they tend to look down at people in my line ... even though they depend upon us utterly. I don't feel special or anything ... most techs are reasonably intelligent, but have little or no formal education. We're kind of in limbo.
I wasn't looking down on you with the remark I made. I don't look down on any job anyone does. Everyone is needed. We can't all be rich. We can't all dig ditches. We can't all provide power to people's homes. So each person is needed.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40214 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
You're funny barefoot. I make no claims as a historian or student of the cold war. I spent 72-74 on a plateau in Ethiopia and 74-76 on an island in the middle of the Atlantic.. Sorry I missed DEFCON3, maybe I made a note but I lost the key to my diary a long time ago.
You said mention Meir ... okay ... MEIR!! Wasn't she Prime Minister or whatever of Israel during the Yom Kippur war? Didn't I say it had something to do with that war? What do you want from me?!?!? Was it her PMS that caused this near Global Meltdown?!?!? Jeez.
Barefoot wants to argue. That is his whole point in being here. It doesn't matter if you're right, wrong or indifferent, he will find a way to argue with you and then puff out his chest and tell you how right he is, how he whipped your behind, and how stupid you are. So if you want an argument on one subject for months and months, he's your guy.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40215 Oct 11, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Or maybe we should get out of the war and save 100% of our spending on it.
Now you've done it. Watch the war-mongers come at you!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40216 Oct 11, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Faith
Does Obama‘s Mystery Ring Really Have
Why are you so freakin' gullible?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40217 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU LYING SCANQUE!
B A R C L A Y 's.
Ring a bell?
Had NOTHING to do with sub prime: ZERO.
TELL ME: SINCE WHEN IS 500 BILLION "SMALL CHANGE:?
Screaming meltdown.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40218 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care- if you were a member of the US military in 1973 and insist you can't remember the US military moving into DefCon III (the same condition as we were for a few weeks during the Cuban Missile Crisis): I will point to your pattern of lies and deceptions and give you the standard dumb shrug.
I remember it very well.
RHill, you can't say I didn't warn you.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#40219 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter whether you mentioned it or not. You said 'military' and he added the on active duty portion just to argue. Military people pay taxes when not deployed in active duty. He always sneaks in stuff like that just to argue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John 3:16 2 hr superwilly 30
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Knowledge- 243,035
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr NoahLovesU 9,180
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 3 hr superwilly 16
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 4 hr NoahLovesU 6,167
Atheists have morals too! 6 hr Amused 4
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr Secret Admirer 19,741
More from around the web