In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51437 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40192 Oct 11, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Politics
‘Are You Gonna Do What I Think You’re Gonna Do?’: Latest O’Keefe Video Purportedly Shows DNC Staffer Helping Woman Vote Twice
(quote)

Voter Fraud: The GOP Witch Hunt
Posted: 10/10/2012 3:34 pm

Recently, two large frauds within the Republican voter suppression effort this year have surfaced, which are proving far more serious than any of the alleged shenanigans which have been used to justify these measures. To cover the entirety of the vigorous voter suppression effort on the Right would require a far longer article than this, however, I will be focusing in on two very ugly details: Strategic Allied Consulting and voter suppression vigilantes like True the Vote.

Republicans have ended the voter drives in Nevada, Florida, Colorado, Virginia and North Carolina. Why would they do such a thing? Because the firm they hired, Strategic Allied Consulting, the only company the Republican Party had running registration campaigns in these states, has been rocked by scandal after scandal. This election year, voter suppression law after voter suppression law rolled out, many of which have been struck down as unconstitutional by the courts, all to catch fraud; so far the only fraud that has been proven has been on their side.

Strategic Allied Consulting was accused of fraud during the 2008 campaign. They allegedly paid bonuses for non-Democratic registrations and destroyed hundreds if not thousands of Democratic registrations in Oregon. This leads voters who believed they registered to go to the polls only to find that their registration wasn't completed.

Strategic Allied Consulting was known to be dirty to the Republican National Convention, rocked by scandals long before the RNC recommended them to consult for various state Republican Parties. The firm is headed by the former executive director of the Arizona Republican Party and was the sole company hired for the "Get Out The Vote" effort in many important swing states, leaving the Republican voter drive in dire straights.

Aside from the official voter fight that the Republican Party has poured money into, there's an unofficial disenfranchisement effort underway by organizations such as True the Vote. True the Vote is a Tea Party organization, and pushing for Mitt Romney while claiming to be a nonpartisan organization. For example, they aggressively targeted hundred of college students, claiming that they cannot vote because they failed to specify a dorm room number. The names they choose to challenge are disproportionately from trailer parks, dorms and other likely-Democratic voters. Their claims have been debunked wherever they've been filed, however, chasing down these names takes time and energy away from other duties election officials have this close to the election.

True the Vote, which has its roots in a Tea Party group (the King Street Patriots), has an obvious political agenda: block Obama from a second term by disenfranchising his support. It's become obvious enough that Congress is stepping in with an investigation, however, any changes won't take affect until after the election.

The unofficial efforts by Republicans dovetail nicely with the voter suppression effort pushed in swing states across the country, from the voter purges of Florida to the ID laws proposed in Pennsylvania. When all of the various efforts to make voting more complicated, difficult, costly, inconvenient or confusing are listed, there is no doubt that there has been a concerted effort on the Right to attack the voting rights of any demographic that is likely to vote for Obama under the guise of preventing voter fraud. When the GOP is implicated in funding fraudulent registrations and has voter fraud committed on it's behalf, it undermines the already transparently-fraudulent witch hunt that it's been on for the past year to find the voter fraud to justify it's voter suppression policies.
(clip)

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40193 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot hope to fix stupid.
Especially with your attention span.
Do Americans in combat zones pay income taxes?
I know: you weren't in a combat zone but you can look it up.
Physician! Heal thyself!!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40194 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe when someone who was there makes an assertion you will be more reluctant to offer an option you know nothing about.
The Israelis were losing the Yom Kippur war. The USA was not in the mood to help- to stay neutral or close to it, openly. Meir needed a large and immediate infusion of supplies, particularly spares, and told Kissinger/Nixon she had nukes loaded on jets and was ready to drop them on Damascus & Cairo.
Of course she said this knowing the USSR would react (it did) and the USA reacted to this.
DefConIII.
And I don't care where you were in the world, if you were in the Navy, you would remember.
So you aren't being "truthful".
I provided you a link to a Facebook page from the Kagnew Station, Asmara, Ethiopia Group that pictured me, along with other members of the NCA gang. Had you visited the Group, you would have found there quite a number of photos submitted by me. But, whatever.

On the other hand, you have NEVER said or offered information not accessible in the Public Domain or by reading a few Clancy novels. Indeed, you have every aspect of a homebound person, devoid of personal experience, who lives vicariously through Internet arguments and voracious reading. That's okay. I like you anyway.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40195 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
Physician! Heal thyself!!
You cry when I point out where you are wrong, you say you are ignorant (no one disagrees), I point to where you are wrong (as you were here, the US military does not pay income tax in combat zones): and you continue in your ignorance.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40196 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I provided you a link to a Facebook page from the Kagnew Station,
I don't care- if you were a member of the US military in 1973 and insist you can't remember the US military moving into DefCon III (the same condition as we were for a few weeks during the Cuban Missile Crisis): I will point to your pattern of lies and deceptions and give you the standard dumb shrug.

I remember it very well.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40197 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
On the other hand, you have NEVER said or offered information not accessible in the Public Domain
You have no interest in it... cannot you remember what you said YESTERDAY?

You cry and whine because I do not lead you by the hand and show you the program know worldwide as *GOOGLE* and type in for you "meir DefCon III" or any other combination that puts everything you would want to read on the top line of the first page?

WAHHHHHH!

No.

I suggest you are not capable of admitting you are wrong.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40198 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
Indeed, you have every aspect of a homebound person, devoid of personal experience
As I pointed out to you: I was there and I can vividly recall when the US moved to DefCon II. Maybe it was because I was on the front line in the Cold War while you were calibrating test meters in the middle of nowhere, maybe I remember because I was on a warship and you don't because you were on shore duty, maybe I remember because when I saw the key to the safe we kept your nuke strike codes around the neck of the OOD it stopped being a game.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40199 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
B A R C L A Y 's.
Ring a bell?
Yep, LOOK IT UP
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU LYING SCANQUE!
B A R C L A Y 's.
Ring a bell?
Had NOTHING to do with sub prime: ZERO.
TELL ME: SINCE WHEN IS 500 BILLION "SMALL CHANGE:?
LOOK IT UP you IGNORAMUS

What 500 billion? That was the fine butt brain, the the amount embezzled

Just because you are stupid don’t mean everyone else is
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The collapse of EUROPEAN banking systems and failure of entire countries- Greece, Spain, Italy, e.g.: fault of US banks investing in sub prime mortgages?
How 'bout the tsunami and the Japanese earthquake?
Do tell: How did that $455 MILLION fine on Barclays tie in to the US sub prime crisis?
LOOK IT UP

I realise high finance of greater then you food stamps value id beyond you but that’s not my fault
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
(quote)
Banks and banking
The thriving British economy after 1660 was made possible mainly because of Britain's financial institutions. Trading houses, insurance companies and banks emerged to underpin Britain's overseas trade and empire. The expansion of overseas …
naval means that protected the Atlantic slave routes and the plantation economies.
(clip)
Yes unfortunately for you British banking is a little bit older than that

http://www.banking-history.co.uk/history.html
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/publica...

You really are not to bright are you?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40200 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You cry when I point out where you are wrong, you say you are ignorant (no one disagrees), I point to where you are wrong (as you were here, the US military does not pay income tax in combat zones): and you continue in your ignorance.
I did not comment on the tax question. I don't remember paying income taxes when in the military. Probably because, back then,$110 a month wasn't enough for the IRS to worry about.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40201 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care- if you were a member of the US military in 1973 and insist you can't remember the US military moving into DefCon III (the same condition as we were for a few weeks during the Cuban Missile Crisis): I will point to your pattern of lies and deceptions and give you the standard dumb shrug.
I remember it very well.
Good for you! You really need to shoehorn the possibility that those not serving on nuclear submarines may have missed the festivities.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40202 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no interest in it... cannot you remember what you said YESTERDAY?
You cry and whine because I do not lead you by the hand and show you the program know worldwide as *GOOGLE* and type in for you "meir DefCon III" or any other combination that puts everything you would want to read on the top line of the first page?
WAHHHHHH!
No.
I suggest you are not capable of admitting you are wrong.
Wrong? Me?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40203 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
As I pointed out to you: I was there and I can vividly recall when the US moved to DefCon II. Maybe it was because I was on the front line in the Cold War while you were calibrating test meters in the middle of nowhere, maybe I remember because I was on a warship and you don't because you were on shore duty, maybe I remember because when I saw the key to the safe we kept your nuke strike codes around the neck of the OOD it stopped being a game.
Well ... I consider this a break through! BTW .. which one is the higher state of alert?

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Nykvarn, Sweden

#40204 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The collapse of EUROPEAN banking systems and failure of entire countries- Greece, Spain, Italy, e.g.: fault of US banks investing in sub prime mortgages?
How 'bout the tsunami and the Japanese earthquake?
Do tell: How did that $455 MILLION fine on Barclays tie in to the US sub prime crisis?
banking systems working fine where i live

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40205 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you! You really need to shoehorn the possibility that those not serving on nuclear submarines may have missed the festivities.
You really need to shoehorn the possibility that DefConIII applied to everyone in the US military, and every service including the Coast Guard.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40206 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not comment on the tax question. I don't remember paying income taxes when in the military. Probably because, back then,$110 a month wasn't enough for the IRS to worry about.
Then you are defeating your own argument: that there are members of the US military that are paid so poorly that there isn't enough for them to worry about.

That what I said about the 47 percent is absolutely correct: that the majority of the 47 percent work full time jobs and just don't get paid enough income for the IRS to collect federal tax.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40207 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, LOOK IT UP
The UK bankers are in it every bit as deep (or deeper) as the US bankers.

So do stop taking shots at the USA, Skanque, you live in a country that has glass walls.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40208 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
I realise high finance of greater then you food stamps
'You food stamps', eh?

Bang your head on your boy friend's belt buckle again, eh?

I can understand your country has been circling the drain for over one hundred years: the only thing you got is shots at the USA.

The USA has nothing to do with the financial crapfest that is the EU.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40209 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to shoehorn the possibility that DefConIII applied to everyone in the US military, and every service including the Coast Guard.
Perhaps. Perhaps I typed messages or calibrated Simpson meters with unusual intensity for a period and simply don't remember.

Is that it? Is that the kind of admission you have sought? Glad to have obliged!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40210 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are defeating your own argument: that there are members of the US military that are paid so poorly that there isn't enough for them to worry about.
That what I said about the 47 percent is absolutely correct: that the majority of the 47 percent work full time jobs and just don't get paid enough income for the IRS to collect federal tax.
Argument? My argument? I think they make considerably more than $110 per month now. Even so there are rules regarding being out of the country for X amount of time exempts you from paying Income Tax. I know the expats who worked at the geophysical place I worked, their rotation schedules were carefully timed to qualify them for tax exemption.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40211 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to shoehorn the possibility that DefConIII applied to everyone in the US military, and every service including the Coast Guard.
Wait. It's starting to come back. The repressed memories. The klaxons, the ear splitting UUUUUUUUUUU-GAHHHHHH UUUUUUUUUUU-GAHHHHHH'S, the rotating beacons, the canned (yet alluringly feminine) voice announcing "WE ARE NOW AT DEFCON3, REPEAT DEFCON3!!". A sudden hush fell over the Comm Center, as the two of us on duty realized that this could be ... THE BIG ONE!!! Our single line phone began to ring. It was our Watch Commander ... we listened, slack jawed and sweaty palmed as we received our long dreaded orders "Double the Simpson 260 Calibration Quota!!". Sputtering in disbelief, we asked for clarification ... "JUST DO IT!!!" he shouted in ill-concealed irritation. Not knowing if the world would still be there when we emerged from our hardened Quonset Hut the next morning was the hardest part. I ... I thank you, I think ... those times have been eating away at me for decades now. I ... I think I can cope with it now. Thank You, Barefoot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min Ronnie 35,320
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 2 hr Reason Personified 36
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr hpcaban 255,520
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr hpcaban 14,950
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr Rosa_Winkel 20,127
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr Patrick 4,485
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr NightSerf 3,714
More from around the web