In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
38,701 - 38,720 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40103 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
...yet nearly 4 million jobs created in your private sector in the past 2 years?
Hogwash and 20 million lost , people still can't get loans to build new houses. Most of the jobs created are jobs nobody wants. Working on the roads and on bases.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40104 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash and 20 million lost.
Numbers mean nothing when you make them up.

I understand: draft dodger Romney can't run on any specifics since he hasn't any.

Still waiting for you to name that tax loophole...

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#40105 Oct 9, 2012
It is hard for atheist because religious people are such hate filled violent bigots.....Lucky we have the constitution to protect us from religous zealots...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40106 Oct 9, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Numbers mean nothing when you make them up.
I understand: draft dodger Romney can't run on any specifics since he hasn't any.
Still waiting for you to name that tax loophole...
Tell us buttfoot are they building lots of shiny new homes in your state? Oh I forgot.. the state of confusion , isn't really a state.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40107 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Tell us buttfoot are they building lots of shiny new homes in your state?
Tell me, DongLIcker: why is it you can't find Draft Dodger's tax loophole?

Just one/
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40108 Oct 9, 2012
Dont Cry Bare Backfoot.....Your Albino African Will Be Coming Home To His Kenyan Village Soon, Where You Can Have A Parade, And Dance And Frolick.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#40109 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood but domestically and specifically here in the US the bottom line is, what has been done hasn't helped and in fact most are hurting business. The government placing healthcare demands
on people who are struggling now is not helping.
I heard it from people already they had to let people go because
of it. When it goes into effect next year it will become worse.
Government regulations make people want to quit even trying,
and he keeps loading more on. Raising taxes and forcing new regulations on small business isn't helping us DF it's hurting.
We need to raise (restore) taxes on the super rich and regulate the banking sector the way it needs to be regulated.

"Small business" could mean anything anymore. It's a talking point.

I'm going to have to do some reading on the new healthcare plan. It seems like it is a huge compromise. I want what Canada has. I don't care if they call it The Socialist American Pinko Health Plan.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40110 Oct 9, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Dont Cry Bare Backfoot.
I don't have to cry, KnobJob: I don't care about anyone cutting off your food stamps.

I guess you are going to have to work two stalls at once.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40111 Oct 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
We need to raise (restore) taxes on the super rich and regulate the banking sector the way it needs to be regulated.
"Small business" could mean anything anymore. It's a talking point.
I'm going to have to do some reading on the new healthcare plan. It seems like it is a huge compromise. I want what Canada has. I don't care if they call it The Socialist American Pinko Health Plan.
Probably not possible due to the numbers involved.
We have over 10 times the volume of people. But yes it would be nice
they pay a monthly premium and huge taxes 40% for it.

Since: Aug 12

Dickson, TN

#40112 Oct 9, 2012
If we tax the top 30 % at 100% we could pay for 1% of our yearly spending

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40113 Oct 9, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
If we tax the top 30 % at 100% we could pay for 1% of our yearly spending
Taxing someone 100% is what? What would you want , for Bill Gate to have to apply for food stamps?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#40114 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Probably not possible due to the numbers involved.
We have over 10 times the volume of people. But yes it would be nice
they pay a monthly premium and huge taxes 40% for it.
I'd like an optional, tiered public healthcare system.

Replace the private investors with public investors, and you remove the conflicts of interest. Private insurance is there to make money, not make people healthy. I just don't see healthcare as the place to squeeze people.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40115 Oct 9, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>You're wrong again. Most companies, when downsizing and laying people off, try to lay off some of the higher paid people who have been there the longest and keep those who are at or near minimum wage and a few supervisors. That's the only thing that makes economic sense and keeps companies from going under.
I think you're telling tales.
I haven't worked for "most companies" and therefore my statements are drawn from personal experience with the few (several) that had reason to lay people off. Of course, I've only worked in technical capacities. Bean counters and wannabe execs are probably a dime-a-dozen.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40116 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxing someone 100% is what? What would you want , for Bill Gate to have to apply for food stamps?
Of course, Romney's plan is to tax himself at 0.83 percent.

That is ZERO.83 percent, not quite one percent.
While the middle class pays 28 percent.

And we still wait for you to identify ONE tax loophole.

One.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40117 Oct 9, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>There are 'money-squandering schemes' by both Democrats and Republicans. You can't lay it in the lap of only one party, though it seems you'd like to.
I don't need to prove anything about my life and my accomplishments to you.
I disagree with barefoot on most things, not because he's entirely wrong, but in the way he interprets things. I think he's outright wrong on some things. That doesn't make him a bad person. What makes him a bad person is the way he behaves. But then, once in a while, I agree with him on something.
I'm not a one-sided person who is blinded by hate and therefore can see when someone, even someone with whom I disagree, makes a good point. You should try it. It's entirely liberating to be able to see more than your own view.
This is why I hate talking politics ... I really don't have or devote the time to do a thorough analysis ... there's so many far more interesting things in life. Consequently, y'all get my largely unqualified opinions based upon a most cursory and disinterested scan of a few Yahoo headlines. So sue me. I have not solicited information from you regarding your life or accomplishments. Unfortunately, I seem to have some ill-concealed need for validation. It sux being human. If I seem "blinded by hate" then I have failed to communicate my sense of humor. I'll keep trying. I'm here because I find you guys more interesting than "Pawn Stars" which is itself infinitely more interesting than the "McNeil-Lehrer News Hour". Just remember ... "A point in every direction is the same as no point at all" <Harry Nilsson>.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40118 Oct 9, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why I hate talking politics ... I really don't have or devote the time to do a thorough analysis ... there's so many far more interesting things in life. Consequently, y'all get my largely unqualified opinions based upon a most cursory and disinterested scan of a few Yahoo headlines. So sue me. I have not solicited information from you regarding your life or accomplishments. Unfortunately, I seem to have some ill-concealed need for validation. It sux being human. If I seem "blinded by hate" then I have failed to communicate my sense of humor. I'll keep trying. I'm here because I find you guys more interesting than "Pawn Stars" which is itself infinitely more interesting than the "McNeil-Lehrer News Hour". Just remember ... "A point in every direction is the same as no point at all" <Harry Nilsson>.
This Still Makes You More Qualifed Then The Average Liberal, To Talk About Politics. Nothing, I Repeat, Nothing You Hear Or See From The Media Today Is Factual, They Have Become Useless.

From What I Have Read From You, Is Good Basic Traditional Values, With A Dash Of Liberal Misdirection....But That Is Because Of The Massive Indoctrination Efforts Over The Last 45 Years Or So....There Is Still Hope For You, While Most Of These Braindead Have Past That Possibility.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40119 Oct 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like an optional, tiered public healthcare system.
Replace the private investors with public investors, and you remove the conflicts of interest. Private insurance is there to make money, not make people healthy. I just don't see healthcare as the place to squeeze people.
While I Agree That Healthcare Needs Reform, We Must Remember That It Is And Never Has Been A " Right "

Its A Business That Provides A Service, Which Employs MIllions.
People Seem To Afford Nice Cars, Cell Phones, Satilite TV...ETC
But Dont Plan For Healthcare ? And Somehow Its Supposed To Be Given Freely To Those Who Refuse To Be Frugle, At The Tax Payers Expense. Remembering That Only Half Of Americans Pay Taxes ?

No, This Is An Entitlement Problem, As Well As Greed By Hospitals And Insurance Companies. Illegals Overwhelm The System, With Anything From Colds To Childbirth. It Is No More A " Right " For Them To Have Free Healthcare, Then The MIllions Who Refuse To Work Or Pay Their Own Way. Of Course We Feel The Need To Help Those Who Really Need It....But At Some Point, Enough Is Enough.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#40121 Oct 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash and 20 million lost , people still can't get loans to build new houses. Most of the jobs created are jobs nobody wants. Working on the roads and on bases.
Those stats are from your government amigo.

And work nobody wants is still work. I would rther work at roadside and at least get paid instead of going hungry

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40123 Oct 10, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Those stats are from your government amigo.
And work nobody wants is still work. I would rther work at roadside and at least get paid instead of going hungry
Well while this is true , now think about what impact road work has on small businesses.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40124 Oct 10, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
This Still Makes You More Qualifed Then The Average Liberal, To Talk About Politics. Nothing, I Repeat, Nothing You Hear Or See From The Media Today Is Factual, They Have Become Useless.
From What I Have Read From You, Is Good Basic Traditional Values, With A Dash Of Liberal Misdirection....But That Is Because Of The Massive Indoctrination Efforts Over The Last 45 Years Or So....There Is Still Hope For You, While Most Of These Braindead Have Past That Possibility.
I definitely see the media playing us all like violins. Yahoo news is probably one of the worst, but they're so clumsy at it, it's almost funny. At least you are given the opportunity to comment about the article and there's no censorship. Not quite true, their robo-censor makes Church Lady seem like a potty mouth. While one would expect a large degree of general skepticism from groups of Atheist, I actually find many of them aligned along party-lines in a most disturbing manner. Indeed, politics is itself a game of manipulation and my dis-interest has rendered me somewhat immune. I can say that the rainbow hued future was poorly imagined by most Sci-fi authors ... except maybe Anthony Burgess, Ayn Rand, Aldous Huxley or our old friend George Orwell.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 27 min Patrick 13
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 226,341
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 8 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 8 hr Patrick 172
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••